Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #106
KittyKat1978
DIS Veteran
 
KittyKat1978's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 990

I was also in WDW May 4th to 11th. While I did see alot of flies on the 4th in MK, I never saw the sea of black that others saw. Maybe because I rarely ate outside? I hope the flies get better for everyone who is going soon.
__________________
WDW - ASMu Sept 09/ Pop Sept 11/ AoA Sept 12/ POR RR May 13/ POFQ Nov 13/ BC May 14

DL - Hojo's Mar 86/ PPH Feb 12/ Hojo's May 12/ BWPPI Oct 12/ DLH Dec 12/ DLH Feb 13/ FFI Oct 14

DCL - Sept 13 Wonder to Alaska

KittyKat1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:49 AM   #107
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran
 
kbelle8995's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Tallahassee, Fla
Posts: 1,313

Red face

Flies are annoying. Florida can be a buggy state. Just thank goodness they are not mosquitos.
kbelle8995 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #108
starousse
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NY
Posts: 1,104

Not that I'm thrilled about having to deal with flies, but I'd definitely rather deal with that over roaches.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #109
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 2,315

For anyone interested who still has time to order before their trip, Avon is having a sale on the Deet free Skin So Soft line. Most items are 40% or 50% off.
__________________
Me DD 11 DS, 4

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #110
FortForever
Disney since Day 1
 
FortForever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida - Home of the Mouse
Posts: 924

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessV View Post
Yes! For some reason, the thing that annoys me most about love bugs is that they're just plain stupid. I never knew there were varying degrees of insect intelligence until I was introduced to love bugs.
They were my first experience with stupid insects also. I'm fairly sure they have no brain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbelle8995 View Post
Flies are annoying. Florida can be a buggy state. Just thank goodness they are not mosquitos.
See, that's the thing. I've been going to WDW for 40 years and have never seen it buggy before. Apparently, neither has anyone else. This is something all new that just happened in the past month or so.

Also, since moving to Florida myself 7 years ago, I have very specifically noted the lack of flies. We have lots of mosquitoes, and love bugs in season. However, having dealt with them all my life in the north all my life, flies were noticeably absent here - and still are where I live.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:19 AM   #111
jaykorf001
DIS Veteran
 
jaykorf001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: KC MO area
Posts: 525

We are leaving for WDW on June 11th. I so hope they are gone. I have been shocked to see so many people say Florida really doesn't have flies. I would have guessed Florida would have a bumper crop. The reports of generally no/few flies normally makes the current reports seem even stranger. We sure have our share in Missouri but I do not want to be swarmed or deal with them on our food (or adult beverage). Disgusting.
jaykorf001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:53 AM   #112
bubbapeanut
Earning My Ears
 
bubbapeanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 43

Here now... They were really only bad at the magic kingdom, specifically on the fantasyland.tomorrowlamd side. A cast member I asked said it is due to the construction of seven dwarf mine train.

Surprisingly animal kingdom has had the least amount of flies.
bubbapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:06 PM   #113
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran
 
2Pirates2Princesses's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: PA
Posts: 2,200

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapeanut View Post
Here now... They were really only bad at the magic kingdom, specifically on the fantasyland.tomorrowlamd side. A cast member I asked said it is due to the construction of seven dwarf mine train.

Surprisingly animal kingdom has had the least amount of flies.


That's good to hear. Hopefully they are passing along or Disney has figured out a way to attract them elsewhere.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:08 PM   #114
disneyfan888
DIS Veteran
 
disneyfan888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 920

We were at Disney from the 8th-14th. We live here in FL, but our brother came to visit and we visited the parks. The first day we went to IOA and the flies were normal, you always encounter a couple at some point, but in the Disney parks it was an invasion! I had never had so many flies on us every where we went at all theme parks. The worst for us was Hollywood Studios, but they were definitely at all parks at all times. They really annoyed us, it was very frustrating. I hope they do something about it and soon!
__________________





[




disneyfan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #115
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

 
parkhopping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 1 hour away from the magic :)
Posts: 1,440

I went to MK on Friday and DHS/Epcot yesterday. They definitely seem to be concentrated in certain areas. Frontierland was awful...you couldn't get away from them. They were all over the Splash playground & rocking chairs/checkers area across from BTMRR. Trying to eat outside at Pecos Bill's was a nightmare. But we didn't notice them much in the rest of the park. At DHS we only encountered a few outside Pizza Planet, and at Epcot some were bothering the tables by R&C, though I chalked it up to a food spill. We had no problems eating dessert between Mexico & Norway later. It's very odd. Hope they can clear it up soon...not only is it annoying & gross, it doesn't do much for the parks' image!
__________________


MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:51 PM   #116
JDUCKY
Local Yocal
 
JDUCKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Right up the 429
Posts: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyfan888 View Post
We were at Disney from the 8th-14th. We live here in FL, but our brother came to visit and we visited the parks. The first day we went to IOA and the flies were normal, you always encounter a couple at some point, but in the Disney parks it was an invasion! I had never had so many flies on us every where we went at all theme parks. The worst for us was Hollywood Studios, but they were definitely at all parks at all times. They really annoyed us, it was very frustrating. I hope they do something about it and soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
I went to MK on Friday and DHS/Epcot yesterday. They definitely seem to be concentrated in certain areas. Frontierland was awful...you couldn't get away from them. They were all over the Splash playground & rocking chairs/checkers area across from BTMRR. Trying to eat outside at Pecos Bill's was a nightmare. But we didn't notice them much in the rest of the park. At DHS we only encountered a few outside Pizza Planet, and at Epcot some were bothering the tables by R&C, though I chalked it up to a food spill. We had no problems eating dessert between Mexico & Norway later. It's very odd. Hope they can clear it up soon...not only is it annoying & gross, it doesn't do much for the parks' image!
Uhhhh...just what are they supposed to do? Build domes over all of the parks? Stretch netting all over?

it's nature.
__________________
Me(47) DW(34) DD(26) DD(19) DSD(13) DSD(11) DSS(8) DGD (3)

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #117
parkhopping
DIS Veteran

 
parkhopping's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: 1 hour away from the magic :)
Posts: 1,440

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDUCKY View Post

Uhhhh...just what are they supposed to do? Build domes over all of the parks? Stretch netting all over?

it's nature.
I'm certainly no expert, but I figure there has to be some form of extermination available. As for "nature"...just because it's part of nature doesn't mean it's pleasant or even healthy, and certainly not necessarily good for business!
__________________


MK '99 ~ WDW vacation '01 (ASMu) ~ DL/DCA '03 ~ Now a FL resident seasonal passholder!
Everything you ever wanted to know about Be Our Guest
parkhopping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:58 PM   #118
rccllap
Who is this kid and why is he calling me Mom?
 
rccllap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 209

My mother is at WDW now (in fact, at this moment, is at a Welcome Home Wednesday event ) and she spent this afternoon at Epcot. She reports no flies, a few lovebugs but that's it.

She's been in Orlando for the last two and a half weeks and is staying another week and a half longer. She says there are almost NO bugs but the lovey's and she actually says Disney sprays TOO MUCH and she's worried about the bees.

If it changes and she starts to notice a problem I'll report it.
__________________
Next trip for DM and DS: March 29th
and I get to join them April 2!

Whoohooooo
rccllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #119
JDUCKY
Local Yocal
 
JDUCKY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Right up the 429
Posts: 2,130

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkhopping View Post
I'm certainly no expert, but I figure there has to be some form of extermination available. As for "nature"...just because it's part of nature doesn't mean it's pleasant or even healthy, and certainly not necessarily good for business!
it's like trying to stop the 17-year cicadas from emerging.

They could hang fly strips all over the park but that would be hideous and wouldn't really put much of a dent in things.

Just have to wait it out...like love bug season
__________________
Me(47) DW(34) DD(26) DD(19) DSD(13) DSD(11) DSS(8) DGD (3)

Disneyworld? Not so much anymore. FP- has ruined the experience for locals
Disneyland Paris - First trip (part of Honeymoon) - March 2012
Disneyland - 1st wedding anniversary - Dec 2012; Road Trip July 2013; Nov 2014!
JDUCKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #120
hsmamainva
DIS Veteran
 
hsmamainva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,442

We've been here since Friday. Lots of flies in Epcot & MK. Not as bad at HS. Haven't been to AK yet. Haven't seen any at our townhouse in Windsor Hills. Did see lots of them at the Florida Mall.
__________________
Kelly - Mom of 4 (2 in college & 2 still at home)

It's never too late to have a happy childhood!

February 2011 (OL) - March 2012 (WH) - May 2013 (WH) - May 2014 (AOA) - August 2014 (AOA) - May 2015 (POP) - August 2015 (POFQ)

hsmamainva is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: