Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 PM   #16
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Saturday - First At Sea Day

We were up somewhat early for us and decided to order room service for breakfast. We got some coffee, juice, toast, and english muffins. The coffee wasn't great, but we decided that it was the creamer we didn't like and after that morning always ordered milk to have with it which worked out perfectly.

I snapped some pictures of an oil rig drilling/service ship thingy (zoomed in) and the general beautiful weather. It was sunny with a bit of a breeze.

We decided to head on up to the adult pool area and grab a good cup of coffee seeing as the first one of the day hadn't really hit the spot.

We took a pic of our door and the G Family door on our way. I decided to do a single family FE for them as I've participated in FE with the DIS before, and with the G family already totally overwhelmed pre-cruise, I decided it might be fun if I made them the sole participants in my own little FE gift exchange. It worked out perfectly....their kids loved it and it was quick and easy for me. The only slight negative was that (as far as we know) one gift went "missing" on one of the days which was a shame. Thankfully, it was easily fixed with a "Magical" visit to the gift shop.

Our room (6076)..

The G Family (6106) with "Magical" magnets that arrived on their first day.

We got a couple of loungers and I went in to get coffee only to run into Captain Jack Sparrow (some random guest) who was boldly announcing to the coffee shop that he was going to take over the ship. I advised him if he fancied taking over a ship, he might want to pick one that didn't have 1,400 kids on board. You could tell he hadn't thought that one through! I wish I'd had my camera with me though.

Back with the coffees....

And a few pics of the almost empty adult area...this was at about 9 am...

This has probably come up before and I've just not seen it, but there were two things about this sign on the whirlpools that make you go... .... one is "Do not swallow the water" and the second is "Bather load 21 persons" I think you'd be hard pressed to get 21 people in the POOL let alone one hot tub!

It was pretty chilly with the wind in our original loungers so we switched over to look out at the seas.

Scott decided to be very healthy and went off to get changed and go for a run.

I decided to be healthy by getting in a veggie requirement.....

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston
ukintheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:36 PM   #17
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoopsie Poo! View Post
Love your report so far!

We were on the Magic out of NYC this summer. and we had a server named Sompong. Any chance the server on the left was your server too? We loooovvved him! He was so funny but a very efficient server as well. He gave us one of our best laughs ever, and we still count him as one of our favorites. Just curious if it is the same person. (Hope you don't mind the gigantic pic of strangers on your TR... I can delete it if you like...)

Yes, that is our server too! He was hilarious! Did he sing you 80's songs every day?? That was the funniest thing! Was your drink waiter's name Widi??

Jenny & Scott
2000-POFQ, 2005-FW, 2006-FW, 2008-FW, Feb 2009-CBR/POFQ, Sept 2009-ASM,2010 BWI/WL/AKL/DCL Magic Western, July 2011 BWI/DCL Dream, Nov 2011 FW/AKL, May 2012 GF/DCL Fantasy-Eastern/BWI, Oct 2012 DCL Magic-Western, Feb 2013 DCL Magic-Cozumel, Apr 2013 DCL Magic-CC/WDW/KW, Sept 2013 - DCL Wonder-Bahamas, Dec 2013 - DCL Wonder-NYE-Cozumel, March 2014 - DCL Magic-4 night, Patiently waiting for: Nov 2014-Dream, Nov 2015- DCL Wonder B2B-Western & Bahamas-Galveston, DCL Wonder 2015 NYE Cruise-Bahamas-Galveston

Last edited by ukintheus; 05-14-2013 at 07:56 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM   #18
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

We spent several hours reading and just doing nothing....this found its way to me...

But in my defense, so did this...

Midtown were playing. If you've ever seen them then you know that they are quite the entertainment. The lady does a good job all by herself!

We had just decided to go back to the room and chill and maybe take a nap, when Scott remembered that we had signed up for the Martini tasting in Sessions! We had to rush back to the room and just made it down there in time.

There were quite a few people and it turned out to be a really fun group. First up was a dirty martini, which is one of my favorites. Turns out it wasn't so much of a favorite for everyone else...which in turn led to me drinking several other peoples as well as my own......they seem very small when you first start drinking them...

Next up was a cosmo....very yummy indeed

Then an apple martini....

This guy and his group were so much fun...we kept running into them from that point onwards and they were at our Mixology class on Friday too...I don't think they are DISers, but waving in case they are...

At this point needless to say the drinks were going to our heads, it's a lot of drinks in a short time (not to mention the extras) and so when he asked for a volunteer...I stepped forward...not my finest pictures, but I include them for completeness of record. I can't tell you what it was that I made either!

He told me to shake it....and, yes, that is a flashlight he is using as a disco strobe.

Up next was a chocolate martini that we somehow forgot to take pictures of. By this time we'd made good friends with the others sitting around us, and so we stayed and chatted for a bit before heading off to go and get some FOOD!!

The big pink one in the middle is the one I made...

We found A&G by Pinocchio's Pizza and sat and had (lots) of pizza with them while the kids were in the kids club for an hour or so. I wanted to book another cruise while we were onboard so we headed over to do that while the Future Cruise Sales was fairly quiet...Scott took these while I was booking...

Then we headed back to the room to (a) sober up a bit and (b) think about getting ready for formal night.

Jenny & Scott
Old 05-14-2013, 08:02 PM   #19
sager1969
Mouseketeer

I love cruising out of Galveston. Thanks for the info on Harbor house. We just stay at the Hilton because we know what it is. However, I could stay at HH.

Love your idea of veggies! That is how I get my fix during morning Bingo. We did the Tequila tasting class and it required a nap post class. I am a lightweight so my poor hubby had a few too many shots. LOL not that I did not take care of the Margarita's for him. Nope, I did not need a nap.

Love your pictures. Thanks for sharing.
Magic - 10/2012; ALK - 3/2013; Aulani - 6/2013; DVC Dream/AKV - 10/2013;
Christmas Dream/WL - 12/2013; AKL - 3/2014; Wonder - 6/2014;
ABD Backstage magic - 7/2014; Fantasy - 4/15;
DVC Dream - 8/15; Aulani - Christmas 2015
sager1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #20
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

We wanted to get down early before dinner as we wanted some photos taken, so the G family came and knocked about 6:30 pm and off we went all looking very snazzy indeed.

After photos we had some time to kill before dinner in Lumieres so we went and watched Midtown perform in the Promenade Lounge. They had a lot of people up and dancing....

Dinner in Lumieres was great, I always like being in there for formal night. Even though I didn't request a dining rotation, I loved the rotation that we had.

Ahh golden slipper...how much more I would have loved you if I hadn't cheated on you all day with your "friends"...

The kids enjoyed being all dressed up, and were still awake enough for dessert, although it was marginal whether they were really awake or just running on that extra-overdrive that kids get.

First ever Mickey Bar....before...

No words necessary...

The adults all wanted to go and see the Hypnotist show that night in Rockin Bar D, as it had come highly recommended, so despite the fact that the kids were flagging a little, they went to the kids club while we hopped over to see the show. I think the hypnotists name was Danny K, and he was GREAT!!! Totally hilarious and the G family went to see his family show later in the week and said that it was almost better than the adult one. A&G left right after the hypnotist as they wanted to put the kids to bed. Scott & I stayed to watch Match Your Mate but about half way through my tummy started to act up and so we decided to call it a night. I figured it was just the abuse of alcohol and food and that a good night's sleep would do the trick.

This guy was waiting for us when we got back to our cabin.
(Picture to come...photobucket is giving me trouble)

Jenny & Scott
Old 05-14-2013, 08:09 PM   #21
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager1969 View Post
I love cruising out of Galveston. Thanks for the info on Harbor house. We just stay at the Hilton because we know what it is. However, I could stay at HH.

Love your idea of veggies! That is how I get my fix during morning Bingo. We did the Tequila tasting class and it required a nap post class. I am a lightweight so my poor hubby had a few too many shots. LOL not that I did not take care of the Margarita's for him. Nope, I did not need a nap.

Love your pictures. Thanks for sharing.
We love sailing out of Galveston too. We have become quite spoiled to having DCL down there and will be so sad to see them go. We did take a nap after our martini tasting...which I'm sure our friends were grateful for!

Jenny & Scott
Old 05-14-2013, 10:04 PM   #22
Mom23WildBoys
Earning My Ears

I recognize y'all from this cruise! We were the ones chasing three little boys into the kids' club/lab all the time, or breaking up their fights. Wasn't the Magic a great ship? It was our first cruise, and despite the boys being difficult, we had a great time and re-booked for next April out of PC. Our server thought that one of the ships would be back in Galveston in 2015. I HOPE SO!!!

Thanks for doing a trip report! I'm having fun reading and remembering so far!
Laura
Mom23WildBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:45 AM   #23
mandymouse
If It's Not A Bahama Mama Then I'm Not Interested
Can I put my Christmas Tree up yet ?

DISboards Moderator

What a great day

Ugh ! The dirty Martini, yuck ! yuck ! yuck ! What a surprise that your Cosmo was the biggest drink there

You look lovely in your black dress Jenny

mandymouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #24
jennorthernireland
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post
I would love to sail on the Magic in the Med - I know you will have a marvelous time. We think that the Magic still is in great shape, despite her age. Which itinerary are you doing?
I am so glad to hear you think the Magic is still looking good! We were slightly concerned when we heard it was going into dry dock so soon after our cruise. We will be on the sailing leaving Barcelona on 17th August. We will be visiting Villefranche, La Spezia, Cittavechia and Naples with 2 days at sea. I have never been to Italy before, so I'm most excited about those stops, although I can't wait to see everywhere!
Old 05-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #25
nunzia
You can't top pigs with pigs, but you CAN top Toys with Toys

We were on this cruise also and in the room next to you! 6074 Really enjoying your TR..looks like we had the same dining rotation too
Old 05-15-2013, 12:14 PM   #26
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom23WildBoys View Post
I recognize y'all from this cruise! We were the ones chasing three little boys into the kids' club/lab all the time, or breaking up their fights. Wasn't the Magic a great ship? It was our first cruise, and despite the boys being difficult, we had a great time and re-booked for next April out of PC. Our server thought that one of the ships would be back in Galveston in 2015. I HOPE SO!!!

Thanks for doing a trip report! I'm having fun reading and remembering so far!
Laura
I'm so glad you had a great time on your cruise. It's hard when the kids are all wanting to do different things, hopefully you managed to find a good balance for everyone. I REALLY wish DCL would be back in 2015....we can always hope, that would be so awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandymouse View Post
What a great day

Ugh ! The dirty Martini, yuck ! yuck ! yuck ! What a surprise that your Cosmo was the biggest drink there

You look lovely in your black dress Jenny
Thanks Mandy - I have some more pics that I realize I need to post for formal night - I'll go back and add them. I'm glad you weren't at the martini tasting or I'd have been drinking yours too! I thought my martini was a perfect size I must admit that Scott had to help me drink it...even I couldn't down that much alcohol in that short period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennorthernireland View Post
I am so glad to hear you think the Magic is still looking good! We were slightly concerned when we heard it was going into dry dock so soon after our cruise. We will be on the sailing leaving Barcelona on 17th August. We will be visiting Villefranche, La Spezia, Cittavechia and Naples with 2 days at sea. I have never been to Italy before, so I'm most excited about those stops, although I can't wait to see everywhere!
I can't think of a better way to get to see Italy for the first time. I've never been to the med at all, I'm sure you will have a wonderful time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nunzia View Post
We were on this cruise also and in the room next to you! 6074 Really enjoying your TR..looks like we had the same dining rotation too
Hello neighbor! We thought most people around us were on the main dining rotation as it seemed to get really quiet as we were getting ready. I'm sure we talked to y'all once... while we were pulling out of CC or Key "Wet" maybe? (I'm officially changing it's name ) One of those verandah times anyway.

I will try and post some more later on today, thanks to all that are following along so far.

Jenny & Scott
Old 05-15-2013, 12:39 PM   #27
barbbarnes
Earning My Ears

I'm really enjoying your trip report! We will be sailing on the magic in October.
barbbarnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:26 PM   #28
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukintheus View Post

I decided to be healthy by getting in a veggie requirement.....

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 PM   #29
Fantasiesabound
Mouseketeer

I love the idea of sailing out of Galveston! We did NYC and it was so awesome to be back on the ship and sailing so close to home, but we didn't get WDW thrown in to the mix nor CC! What a cool itinerary you guys got!

Link to some of my scrapbooking pics from our 2006 Cruise:http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...&postcount=326
07/13/12 - 07/15/12 2SN NYC Disney Magic cabin 2012 ~ ~ 04/17/11 - 04/21/11 4S Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Dream cabin 5650 ~~ 04/18/09 - 04/25/09 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 7586 ~~ 04/29/06 - 05/06/06 7-Night Caribbean Cruise Port Canaveral, Florida Disney Magic cabin 6608
Fantasiesabound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #30
ukintheus
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbbarnes View Post
I'm really enjoying your trip report! We will be sailing on the magic in October.
Thanks for reading. You will get to see the new and improved Magic! I can't wait to hear how she looks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasiesabound View Post
I love the idea of sailing out of Galveston! We did NYC and it was so awesome to be back on the ship and sailing so close to home, but we didn't get WDW thrown in to the mix nor CC! What a cool itinerary you guys got!
Close to home is always good, and I agree, this itinerary was just too good to pass up! CC & WDW are always fun to visit.

Jenny & Scott

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: