Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 12:03 PM   #16
buzzCMlightyear
PERNER OWNER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
This article is all wrong!

The only *front of the line pass is for *make a wish kids*. Disabilities use GAC card, and that only lets you go though the line as normal or to quiet, cool areas for certain disabilities.

You can hire a $300.00 hour Disney guide but even that only gets you behind the scenes and on a few attractions by passing the lines.

AKK
The pass given to Make a Wish families is a GAC. The majority of GAC stamps are alternate entrance ones, which allow for FP queues if the attraction has one.

As many of us CM's are saying, this is just another reason will may see the end of the GAC soon.
buzzCMlightyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:40 PM   #17
capegirl
DIS Veteran

I wouldn't believe everything printed in the NY Post...the article sounds a little sketchy. Cheshire Figment is right; the majority of the queues are now mainstreamed.
If the article is true, I understand why Disney would not want to go out on a limb to prevent stuff like this from happening; they are just a business trying to survive in a poor economy all wrapped up in a politically correct climate.
In my opinion, the PC environment that we are all subjected to has gone too far. When corporations, politicians, etc... are afraid of offending someone rather than standing up for the truth, it can diminish the values that are truly important to Americans.... but that's a subject for another thread so I'll end my rant here.
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #18
RasberriPie13
Mouseketeer

I am in a wheelchair have been for 30 yrs know and I go to Disney every year 25+, I have never gotten the GAC Card that people are talking about. I just go where I am directed to go. And I ususally have about 4 people with me. I have always gone through the regular lines and then followed the chair symbol. I have see people rent chairs at the gate and then just hop right out of the chair and sometime run to get on the ride. Being in a chair I have to wait for a certain car to come around that I can either tranfer too or take my chair with me, And most of the rides only have 1 of them, so you have to wait for that to come around. And if there are others in chairs that could be a long time.
RasberriPie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:56 PM   #19
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Since a party staying with their member who has a GAC doesn't break any Disney rule, I'm not seeing anything here to care about.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
Entropy
Flotsam

Look at Happy Hearts Days. Disneyland offered this for handicapped kids but it was badly abused by some handicapped kids' parents, relatives and others that felt entitled. It ended up getting cancelled, ruining it for those that played by the rules. Disneyland now only issues handicapped passes to legitimate organizations for distribution but that program is going to change because it, naturally is being abused.

This rental kid is the kind of abuse that's going to screw it up for everyone that benefits from the special pass.
On the bright side, some kid got a free day at WDW.
Entropy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 PM   #21
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Now that there are 3 forum entries on this article, I'll weigh in with my 2¢.

I don't know the validity of the article, and have no direct personal experience of the "convenience" of disabled access for Disney attractions. I do know one family that travelled with someone using a wheelchair, and they FELT that their wait times were shorter. This was nearly 15 years ago though, and I can't imagine that anything from 15 years ago will ever be an accurate gauge for what to expect today.

I will say this generally about ADA and ADA access:

I think it is of crucial importance to have adequate access for people needing it. I think everyone should have the ability to get to anything they want and without too much frustration on their part. Nobody wants to be in a wheelchair or have any disability. I imagine if you'd ask anyone with a disability if they'd prefer to give up their so-called perks in exchange for living without their disability, they'd be thrilled to.

I am frustrated that there are abuses of ADA access. This is true whether or not people are using disabled people to piggyback on their access, or if they are reprenting themselves as disabled when they are not. I know for a fact that the latter exists. There are people who get HC placards for otherwise phantom or non qualifying symptoms. ADA access should be available for people who NEED it - not for people who want to take advantage of it.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:25 PM   #22
dairylives
Mouseketeer

For someone who brags about her wealth, the woman in the article sure isn't ashamed of being a cheapo to the point of breaking the rules. the REAL "1%" wouldn't need to cut corners for this stuff and pay up for real VIP tours.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #23
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

As was mentioned here - and in other threads on this topic - the NY Post is pretty much not worth the paper it is printed on and has a ton of inaccuracies it in all the time (i.e., "Bag Men")

While I am sure there are some people that would do this and brag about it, to me it is just sad that they would derive self worth from something like this

**In Progress** It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Disney World with a 1 month old - A Trip Report: 08/25-08-29/14
Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post
For someone who brags about her wealth, the woman in the article sure isn't ashamed of being a cheapo to the point of breaking the rules. the REAL "1%" wouldn't need to cut corners for this stuff and pay up for real VIP tours.
What rules were broken?
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:05 AM   #25
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzCMlightyear View Post
The pass given to Make a Wish families is a GAC. The majority of GAC stamps are alternate entrance ones, which allow for FP queues if the attraction has one.

As many of us CM's are saying, this is just another reason will may see the end of the GAC soon.
Agreed!..........I was not clear...........Make a wish card is called a GAC.

There has been a lot of talk about changing the GAC rules or as you indicate,it maybe be eliminated, which I feel would be a injustice to the folks that really need one!

To take advantage of the GAC or to plainly break and misuse these rules is really a display of poor manners and a total lack of class and character.

Shame on them!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #26
insureman
Disney Cruise Crazy or so my family tells me!

Location: Southcoast Massachusetts.Not close enough to Port Canaveral!

The tour company they are speaking of seems like a legitimate company that these people have obviously taken advantage of and in the process are ruining that company's reputation. There are two sides two every story and the Post failed to investigate their side.
insureman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:21 AM   #27
smallblackstars
Mouseketeer

Is this actually for real??? How disgusting! My friends had this kind of access to rides just over 5 years ago because their 4 year old daughter was dying from leukemia when they were there. She died 7 months after coming back and I am pretty sure they would have paid all the money in the world to NOT be in those shorter queues. The fact that people are taking advantage of this is horrible! But I guess if you do something like this you can go home happy with your perfectly healthy family and not give a second thought to those that truly deserve slightly shorter wait times and the fact you were so disgusting as to stoop to such a low, all for the sake of a couple of hours. Really? What's wrong with people these days?

Me (31), DH (26), DD (4), Ninja (2)

smallblackstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #28
River Country
DIS Jedi

This is BS!!!!!! Whats next no Handicapped parking spaces either. My mother has had 2 knee replacements and has walking issues, she has a permanent disabled person parking permit, still works FT, but has issues walking around in WDW. THE GAC makes it so much easier for us as a family because it takes us longer to move from attraction to attraction, because she certainly isnt running at RD to grab a FP from TSM. I go at off peak times May and December so the lines arent bad and i can honestly say i do not think the GAC makes the wait any shorter with the exception of maybe TSM and Soarin. Anyway it really is sad that there are people like this out there.
River Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:01 AM   #29
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
What rules were broken?
Please tell me that you don't think this is ok....
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:16 AM   #30
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Country View Post
This is BS!!!!!! Whats next no Handicapped parking spaces either. My mother has had 2 knee replacements and has walking issues, she has a permanent disabled person parking permit, still works FT, but has issues walking around in WDW. THE GAC makes it so much easier for us as a family because it takes us longer to move from attraction to attraction, because she certainly isnt running at RD to grab a FP from TSM. I go at off peak times May and December so the lines arent bad and i can honestly say i do not think the GAC makes the wait any shorter with the exception of maybe TSM and Soarin. Anyway it really is sad that there are people like this out there.
I don't honestly know that Disney will reduce access for people who actually need it. This whole thread is speculative about a specious article in the first place. I wouldn't spend any time worrying.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: