Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 03:16 PM   #16
Pirate princess 2
Mouseketeer

I have many Wegman's, but I have never heard of Trader Joe's. Is it a grocery store like Wegman's.
Pirate princess 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

I love Trader Joe, but likely would never need it in DTD as I tend to do the dining plan.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
WindsorRose
Earning My Ears

I would love to see a Trader Sams! Not sure about Trader Joes...
WindsorRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate princess 2 View Post
I have many Wegman's, but I have never heard of Trader Joe's. Is it a grocery store like Wegman's.
Well, it's a grocery store of sorts if you use the term lightly. The best description for them is probably a "Gourmet Aldi". They have organic foods, including many prepared ones. The stores are normally quite small, and at 1st glance seem quite unorganized, which they are in a sense. They have an almost cult following by people who love them, but many people don't. Most, if not all of them also sell wine. The wine shops claim to fame is a wine called "2 Buck Chuck" a generic wine is price has risen from that in the name.

They are not even close to Wegman's in terms of quality and service.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:51 AM   #20
Alice Royal
Nineteen, female, Florida resident, Disney addict. ^^

Lol, what are Wegman's and Kroger's? Obviously not a New England thing, I suppose? We have Wal-Mart and Market Basket (affectionately referred to as Market Bucket by the young folk)...also a smaller chain of Hannaford stores.

We'd gladly take a TJs in Claremont, NH...

Me (19)
AP Holder and Proud Florida Resident since 2013!

THE FAM BACK HOME IN NH

DMom DDad DB (14)
Alice Royal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:55 AM   #21
Pirate princess 2
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KYMickey View Post
Well, it's a grocery store of sorts if you use the term lightly. The best description for them is probably a "Gourmet Aldi". They have organic foods, including many prepared ones. The stores are normally quite small, and at 1st glance seem quite unorganized, which they are in a sense. They have an almost cult following by people who love them, but many people don't. Most, if not all of them also sell wine. The wine shops claim to fame is a wine called "2 Buck Chuck" a generic wine is price has risen from that in the name.

They are not even close to Wegman's in terms of quality and service.
Thanks for clarifying for me. Trader Joe's would never work here. They don't allow the sale of wine in grocery stores. Wegman's has been trying for years to get that law changed.
Pirate princess 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:12 AM   #22
skylizard
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by marybogue View Post
Thank you for setting the record straight! We have 3 Trader Joe stores here in Charlotte, NC, and I am a very loyal customer! In fact, I will be making a Trader Joe's run this week to stock up on essentials for our DW trip, leaving in 7 days!
I'm in Charlotte too!
I love me some Trader Joe's! I actually won their reusable bag give away last week which was awesome. TJ rocks!
skylizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #23
Just_Trish
Mouseketeer

WEGMANS!!!!

I have relatives in upstate NY and every year when we visit I look most forward to going to Wegmans!! It's the best!

19 MAGICAL TRIPS...
March 2001 – ASMo June 2001 - ASMu July 2002 - Coronado Springs May 2003 - AKL Sept 2004 - POP - MNSSHP Oct 2005 - ASSp - MNSSHP Feb 2007 - POP - Pirate & Princess Party Nov 2009 – POP - DDs Sweet 16, MNSSHP
Sept 2010 - POP - MNSSHP Dec 2010 - POP - MVMCP Oct 2011 – POP - MNSSHP Feb 2012 - POP - One More Disney Day Whole 24 Hrs! May 2012 - POP Oct 2012 – POP - MNSSHP Dec 2012 – POP - MVMCP March 2013 - POP - My 40th B'day!
May 2013 - POP - Monstrous Summer - Whole 24 Hours! October 2013 - POP - MNSSHP
May 2014 – POP – Rock Your Disney Side – Whole 24 Hours!

Upcoming Trips
Aug 2014 - POP - Villains Unleashed! Sept 2014 – POP – MNSSHP Nov 2014 – Port Orleans Royal Room – Dds 21st B'Day! Dec 2014 – POP – MVMCP
Just_Trish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:48 AM   #24
Halbleib1
DIS Veteran

Wegmans has slowly been moving south. There are now stores in MD. They place their stores a good distance apart though. I too wish we had one closer. We have to drive an hour to get to one. We go every few months and stock up on the stuff we buy from there.

Even though I am in PA our Wegmans sells some alcohol. Since they sell prepared food they are allowed to sell some alcohol.

Our First Christmas at Disney World! Staying at Pop Century December 14-24th!

Halbleib1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:41 PM   #25
Hoodie
Going to BC and GF with one week's planning
The snappers go for you and the painteds pee on you. Either way, they never seemed very grateful!

TJ and Wegman's are very different. TJ's has some amazing prepared foods that no one else can match and is small and more "boutique-y". However, our TJ's is in a horrible location and parking is ridiculous so I never go. Our Wegman's is OK. It's pricey, with a few exceptions. It's also not organized well and is cramped (I'm not sure why - they built it hoping for an alcohol section but have been unable to get a permit. You'd think with the extra space, it would be easier to navigate.) The selection is good, but the poor layout and general behavior of patrons (trust me, never EVER get anything from their bulk section. Unless you're OK with other people's hands being all over your food) makes me want to strangle someone by the time I leave.

Honestly, both have their plusses but I think both are over-rated.
Hoodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 PM   #26
KYMickey
Adding EARS to Kentucky!

Location: Louisville Kentucky, home of the Derby and the 2014 TPC championship!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halbleib1 View Post
Wegmans has slowly been moving south. There are now stores in MD. They place their stores a good distance apart though. I too wish we had one closer. We have to drive an hour to get to one. We go every few months and stock up on the stuff we buy from there.

Even though I am in PA our Wegmans sells some alcohol. Since they sell prepared food they are allowed to sell some alcohol.
I know they even have one in Virginia, near Dulles Airport. Unfortunately, I think it will be a long time, if ever, before they come to Kentucky!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #27
sahm1000
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAndFluffy View Post
(You open stores for them?!?! Normal, IL would like to send you a huge basket of mini-muffins if you have any input into where those stores are placed...)
I'd trade our Trader Joe's for a La Bamba and Avanti's, you up for that? Lol! I miss both of those here in Dallas, TX. Graduated from Illinois Wesleyan and miss both restaurants!
sahm1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:15 PM   #28
LockShockBarrel
Pudge controls the weather.

Wegmans claim to fame really is that it's a family owned company who strives to provide incredible customer service and be a place where you can do your weekly shopping but also find the higher end or specialty items.

It's only Wegmans stores in NY that can't sell wine, the other stores do carry it. That's down to NY state law and Wegmans is geared to open a wine store in the WNY area soon. If that goes well I'm sure more will follow.

They currently have no plans to continue moving south, but will continue to build in the Boston area (The plan was 5 stores in 5 years). For them to move further south than Virginia, another distribution center would have to be built.

**All of this is just what one hears while working..**
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade...but without water and sugar your lemonade is gonna suck.Shut up Brain or I'll poke you with a Qtip!Legally, it's questionable. Morally, disgusting. Personally, I like it!The way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Stab in and thrust upward.

Trip Report Jan 2011: Viva Verde! http://http://www.disboards.com/show...0#post39571060
TRIP REPORT SEPT 2012How do I Flush This? Squared!http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2993886

Feb 2007 Pop Century, Oct 2008 Pop Century, Jan 2011 Old Key West, Sept 12 Pop Century
LockShockBarrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 PM   #29
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahm1000 View Post

I'd trade our Trader Joe's for a La Bamba and Avanti's, you up for that? Lol! I miss both of those here in Dallas, TX. Graduated from Illinois Wesleyan and miss both restaurants!
It IS a Small World after all!!

Love Wesleyan! Used to work there in the library ( the new one, not the old one) and really enjoyed my time there.

And I would happily send both, but I bet we would have some crazy riots demanding bread and sauce.

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 07:49 PM   #30
lilmakattack
Say Cheers

The farthest south Wegmans is in Fredericksburg, VA. I will keep it over TJ anyday. Our store is the largest ever built and I swear it's bigger than Super Walmart! It's literally the grocery store of all grocery stores.

The only problem with our epic grocery store is if you don't stick to your list, you can easily go way over budget lol with so many choices!
lilmakattack is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: