Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 02:42 PM   #31
kayemgi
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnies Boy Toy View Post
She's not a "girl" or a "person". She's a cartoon character, and Disney is attempting to market her. I love Disney and its iconic characters too, but at some point I've seen them all change, and that has not lessened my affection for them. My guess is your daughter will make the same adjustment. Mickey doesn't look like what he did back when either. Back in the day he had bulky eyes, a long tail, skinny arms and legs, no gloves and his body was shaped like a pear. But I guess he hit the weight room at some point....
Good point!
kayemgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #32
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnies Boy Toy View Post
Mickey doesn't look like what he did back when either. QUOTE]
I think there is a vast difference between updating a character over many generations versus one that came out a year ago.

For what it's worth, I was curious about my DAUGHTER'S opinion on this, since she is the "target" audience for this character all around. I did not preface it with ANY conversation - just a "Hey, c'mere... lemme show you something. Here is Merida's new look..." and when I turned the monitor around her jaw dropped & so did her attitude.

"WHY?", she wants to know, "WHY did they CHANGE her? What was WRONG with her & WHY OH WHY is she wearing THAT dress that she fought so hard to get out of?? She CAN'T wear THAT in the woods, shooting arrows!"

She really, truly identified with Merida as a strong female character. She is completely disappointed.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 PM   #33
MarieLightning
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
"WHY?", she wants to know, "WHY did they CHANGE her? What was WRONG with her & WHY OH WHY is she wearing THAT dress that she fought so hard to get out of?? She CAN'T wear THAT in the woods, shooting arrows!"
She's not wearing the turquoise dress she wanted to get out of though... she's wearing the dark green dress she wears through the most of the movie. Only difference is they added sparkles and a bit of gold detailing to it, like they did to everybody else, even Mulan who's the hero of China, and Pocahontas who's a free spirit.

Regardless of the sparkles though, it has no similarity to the dress she hates
MarieLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:18 AM   #34
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarieLightning View Post
Regardless of the sparkles though, it has no similarity to the dress she hates
It does from a child's perspective.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:31 AM   #35
amberg93
DIS Veteran

The change of merchandising has nothing to do with the movies. Merida was never chubby to begin with so I'm really unsure where this is coming from. She's got a round face, but she does in the make-over as well. The other changes are no worse than when Rapunzel was made 2-D.

As for her dress, I can see that it's different but honestly, this is a good lesson to teach children. People are long past pitching a fit about Mulan's outfit not being what she wears for the majority of the movie. Merida can still be the same brave person that she also was no matter what she wears. It's a great lesson to tell your kids, "What you wear doesn't define who you are." And that's true, no matter if Merida is now in sparkles, she's still Merida. Girls can be tough while wearing 'pretty frilly' clothes and girls can be girly while wearing 'tom-boy' clothes.
May 2014 - All Star Sports PTR "I bet they get Charmin" Girls Trip **In progress**
September 2014 - All Star Movies + Port Orleans French Quarter "A for effort, C for execution." MNSSHP + F&W *In progress*
amberg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:11 PM   #36
celestialred
Keep the Dr. Pepper flowing or the fluffy bunny bites it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I just read that Ms Chapman ended up being replaced on the film because she was difficult to work with. Methinks there is a bit of sour grapes there.
From what I understood, Pixar was trying to change the storyline she wanted to pursue, the more action-adventury @$$-kicking Merida. Instead, she got replaced, Pixar got their way; and instead of a self-rescuing princess, I got a massive guilt trip and called my mommy to apologize for being such a teenage brat.

I think I'd be rather miffed if my vision of something was being altered as such too, hence the "difficult to work with" label.

CSR May 1998-Honeymoon
RPR @ Universal Jan 2007-Work Conference
Renaissance @ SeaWorld Jan 2013-Work Conference Micro-Trip Report Here!
Sep 2013-Back to CSR and First Trip For The Kids - Come check out my PTR here!
celestialred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:06 PM   #37
SpectroMagic*o*
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas

[QUOTE=RedHeadedFairy;48397514]
Quote:
I think there is a vast difference between updating a character over many generations versus one that came out a year ago.

For what it's worth, I was curious about my DAUGHTER'S opinion on this, since she is the "target" audience for this character all around. I did not preface it with ANY conversation - just a "Hey, c'mere... lemme show you something. Here is Merida's new look..." and when I turned the monitor around her jaw dropped & so did her attitude.

She really, truly identified with Merida as a strong female character. She is completely disappointed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHeadedFairy View Post
It does from a child's perspective.

Thank you thank you thank you!! Exactly. This princess is brand new, by Disney saying she's not marketable the way she is, it sends a bad message to kids. Like she's not good enough. She needs a makeover. Its terrible. Maybe to you and me, she's "just a cartoon character", but this isn't about you and me. This is about the kids who live in a society where they are being told that looking a certain way isn't good enough. We're addressing children here. And you know what? I think she looks disgusting now. I don't want to buy anything with that over aged face lifted stranger on it. I want merchandise that has the Merida I know on it. They didn't even give her a chance with her look. So offensive.

SpectroMagic*o* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:15 PM   #38
SpectroMagic*o*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivnMeUpTheWall-E View Post
This has gotten so out of hand. The makeover was solely to fit her in with the cartoonish princesses.

Her features and look have only changed as to fit in with the Rapunzels and Cinderellas. They conveniently leave this picture out of the story:

Here is how she would look, unchanged. Stands out a bit, don't you think?:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...5-1039-556.jpg

Here is a new one with all of them together. You can see why the makeover was necessary:

http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...7-1179-624.png
Everything that you said is everything that's wrong with this whole makeover. Why does she have to fit in? Why cant she be different? Not everyone fits in somewhere and that should be ok. Not everyone looks like Cinderella and Rapunzel and that's ok. What's wrong with standing out? And since they used advanced technology on Rapunzel, I know they needed to "cartoonize" her, but she still looks like herself, like a fresh faced kid. They managed to make Merida look like a 40 year old plastic surgery obsessed mess.

Old 05-15-2013, 02:28 PM   #39
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

[QUOTE=RedHeadedFairy;48397514]
Quote:

THIS!..YES!!!

While there are strong Disney princesses, EI Mulan and Pocahontas, Merida was a great new *style* Princess and role model!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #40
SpectroMagic*o*

And for all the supporters of Merida's old look, I passed along the petition on my Facebook page and so many people agree and signed the petition!! I looked at the petition page and it looks like they only need about 1,600 more signatures to hit the goal! So happy to see people understanding the bigger issue here! And for the record, I know all the other princesses got makeovers too and I loathe them as well. They all look like Beverly Hills Housewives. Did those princesses need to be MORE marketable? I'm sorry but I thought they were selling just fine. Another case of fixing something that isn't broken

Old 05-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #41
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

It seems Disney has reversed engines and is going back to the real Merida!

http://www.avclub.com/articles/disne...adline:default

Well done Disney!

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 02:56 PM   #42
SpectroMagic*o*

Oh I hope that's true!!! The page isn't coming up! Any other confirmations???

Old 05-15-2013, 03:09 PM   #43
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Disne...cry-37551.html

Fingers crossed that they mean it!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:28 PM   #44
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Just because Disney has a picture of 3D Merida on their website doesn't mean that 2D Merida is going away.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 06:16 PM   #45
Disneyfreak44
Mouseketeer

Because of all the outrage that the new Merida makeover has caused Disney came out with a statement today saying it was only for a limited time here is a link to the article http://www.insidethemagic.net/2013/0...ited-use-only/
Most recent trip was to Walt Disney World we stayed at Caribbean beach and got to experience mymagic+ and the Magic Bands and it was awesome!
Disneyfreak44 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: