Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 03:40 PM   #1
cwhite92
DCP Alum 2011

OMG has anyone else seen this article!?!

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ZRkIVc1zItXGDP

Is this a joke!? People are absolutely ridiculous!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

there's a few things with this:

first the new york post should be sold on the comic book rack next to Superman and Thor...its a complete embarassment.

second, i don't doubt what they're saying at all. It's the regional mentality in these parts (NJ/NY)...people seem to feel (many...not all) that if the seller doesn't come up with some elaborate system to detect theft or "skimming"...then they deserve to be taken advantage of. i disagree completely. Know the difference between right and wrong (its obvious 99.9% of the time) and hold the line.

third, i have a feeling that while this scam is carried out...it is a somewhat outlier and doesn't really represent a significant problem at this juncture.

Fourth, rags print garbage...and this shouldn't ever make it into a respectable "news" paper.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
TheMaxRebo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
there's a few things with this:

first the new york post should be sold on the comic book rack next to Superman and Thor...its a complete embarassment.

second, i don't doubt what they're saying at all. It's the regional mentality in these parts (NJ/NY)...people seem to feel (many...not all) that if the seller doesn't come up with some elaborate system to detect theft or "skimming"...then they deserve to be taken advantage of. i disagree completely. Know the difference between right and wrong (its obvious 99.9% of the time) and hold the line.

third, i have a feeling that while this scam is carried out...it is a somewhat outlier and doesn't really represent a significant problem at this juncture.

Fourth, rags print garbage...and this shouldn't ever make it into a respectable "news" paper.
First, I fully agree with you about the Post -> after the whole "Bag Men" incident they should have had their printing license revoked

I would not limit this mentality to the NY/NJ area - there are people like this pretty much everywhere

While it is upsetting I try not to let it get to me too much -> if this is how these people derive self worth then that is more sad than anything

**In Progress** Wait, weren't you just at Disney World? An August '14 Pre-Trip Report - A Pre-Trip Report: 8/25 - 8/29
Ooh-de-lally! A dining heavy October '13 Trip Report - A Trip Report: 10/11-10/18/13
Faint hearts never won fair lady - or got all the ADRs you wanted. - A Dining Review 10/8/11 - 10/15/11
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" - A Dining Review 10/24/09 - 10/31/09
TheMaxRebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:32 PM   #4
Terry H
Earning My Ears

It was discussed on today's Podcast.
Terry H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
ChoppityChops
Mouseketeer

This is clearly a fabrication... when is there EVER a TWO AND A HALF hour wait for It's A Small World?!
ChoppityChops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #6
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoppityChops View Post
This is clearly a fabrication... when is there EVER a TWO AND A HALF hour wait for It's A Small World?!
When I went in February there was.

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:05 PM   #7
WDW in Pearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
I think you're giving Manhattanites far too much credit. Women marry successful men and think that their time is far too precious to be spent doing simple things like waiting in line. Ironic because these are "stay at home moms" with nannies, cleaning ladies, chefs...but I digress.

I'm a native New Yorker and there's not a doubt in my mind that this is true. I'm shocked its taken someone this long to dream up this scheme.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 PM   #8
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
When I went in February there was.
not buying this for a minute. unless the ride was broken and everyone still waited.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:40 PM   #9
WDW in Pearls

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post

not buying this for a minute. unless the ride was broken and everyone still waited.
Sorry, I didn't get it notarized. You're just going to have to believe me. Presidents Week on a Saturday. Why would I lie about that?

Old 05-14-2013, 05:44 PM   #10
Jen0504
Mouseketeer

IF this is true, those people are absolutely pathetic! I personally think that anyone caught doing this should not be allowed back into the parks!
Old 05-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
Sorry, I didn't get it notarized. You're just going to have to believe me. Presidents Week on a Saturday. Why would I lie about that?
Not saying you are lying-- thinking more exaggerating or mistaken. I've been there on plenty of Pres days and don't think I've ever seen that ride more than 20 minutes. I must just be lucky.
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #12
jdb in AZ
It could end up curdled

DH and I rent ECV's in the parks and there's no way they let handicapped people cut the line as the article claims. Whut a croc!
jdb in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 PM   #13
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
Not saying you are lying-- thinking more exaggerating or mistaken. I've been there on plenty of Pres days and don't think I've ever seen that ride more than 20 minutes. I must just be lucky.
Spring break, Christmas, and any other fluke day during increasingly busy park times can produce this. It isn't normal but not unusual anymore.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
racefanof88
DIS Veteran

I don't buy this for one minute. If their intent was just to use the handicapped "skip the line" advantage, all they would have to do is rent a wheelchair and put Mom, Dad, or one of the kids in the chair. That would come out MUCH cheaper than what the NY Puke is reporting. You can also go to Guest Services and get a Guest Assistance Card and it is free. Disney does not ask you to prove your disability!! I think it would fall more under the category of a liberal rag trying to create more class warfare.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3261767 Hey save some of that, it has to last us a week.....March 22-March 28th, 2014 Trip Report

24 TRIPS AND COUNTING
racefanof88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefanof88 View Post
I don't buy this for one minute. If their intent was just to use the handicapped "skip the line" advantage, all they would have to do is rent a wheelchair and put Mom, Dad, or one of the kids in the chair. That would come out MUCH cheaper than what the NY Puke is reporting. You can also go to Guest Services and get a Guest Assistance Card and it is free. Disney does not ask you to prove your disability!! I think it would fall more under the category of a liberal rag trying to create more class warfare.
So, it's a conspiracy?
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: