Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #106
sadossey
Mouseketeer
 
sadossey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 232

I dont know what is worse, this or the massive # of people in scooters and wheelchairs who are just too lazy to walk and their 10 or 12 hangers on.
sadossey is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #107
bwang123
Posts: 1,457,177,981
 
bwang123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Location: Location
Posts: 784

the article seems to indicate that the guide actually has a disability. if thats the case, I see no problem. They just found a way to use their disability as an advantage. If providing a touring service helps pay medical bills and they are not doing anything illegal or against disney policy, good for them.

the reason this seems so bad is because a snobby rich lady is bragging about using the disabled. people always find a way to hate on people with money, mostly due to jealousy and this lady just gives them more reasons. and just because you can afford disneys $300+ tour doesn't mean you can't bargain shop. People aren't rich because they spend a lot of money.
__________________
OCT '15 | MAY '15 AKL | OCT '13 VWL (MNSSHP) | MAY '13 BWV | DEC '12 SSR/AKV | MAR '12 ASM/ASSp/BLT | MAR '11 POFQ/CBR | MAY '08 CS | '95 DL Offsite | '93 & '94 DW Offiste

bwang123 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-14-2013, 11:05 AM   #108
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
Not in any way saying that. BUT, I do question if said disabled person is using said disability to get perks for people in an unethical way. Such as, saying that people who paid her are her family so they can get in with her GAC card. Sure, some realize you can ride faster without a GAC card but there are times it is a shorter way on, even faster than FP in some cases since you can only have so many FP at a time but GAC is unlimited. So yeah, in my opinion if a disabled tour guide is using their disability to get people access I think it's wrong. If a disabled tour guide is doing the same things an able bodied tour guide does then there is nothing wrong.
But the whole point is that she's mobility impaired. She CAN'T do the same things an able bodied tour guide does, when it comes to accessing certain rides. What is she supposed to do? Point the people toward the ride line, and sit outside waiting for them? Go through a separate exit and try to find them at the loading dock? There's a reason Disney allows mobility impaired people to bring up to six people with them. It's so groups aren't split up.

No one has to "say the people with them are family" to use a GAC card or alternate entrance for mobility impaired people. Disney NEVER asks if the people with you are your "family". Disney simply asks if you're all in one "party".

My best friend has a hidden disability that would require the use of a GAC card, if she ever visited Disney. We would be travelling together. Disney would never expect us to split up, just because I'm not blood related to her!
Magpie is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #109
JoshuaShaw
DIS Veteran
 
JoshuaShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,167

While I do not disbelieve there are people who would do this, based on the information I've seen I'm inclined to believe this story is a fabrication. Who would spend $130/hour when they can rent a wheelchair for $10/day? What kind of parallel universe were the people quoted as to using this service in where they found 2.5 hour waits at IaSW? Too many logical fallacies to make me a believer.
JoshuaShaw is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #110
Suellen
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Celebration, Florida
Posts: 5,230

I've never been asked what my "relation" to the people I'm with is.

That would be a bit surprising and maybe through me off even though I've never entered a line (with GAC or without) with people I don't know.
__________________
Suellen is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #111
AngiTN
DIS Veteran
 
AngiTN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Signal Mountain, TN
Posts: 1,134

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
But the whole point is that she's mobility impaired. She CAN'T do the same things an able bodied tour guide does, when it comes to accessing certain rides. What is she supposed to do? Point the people toward the ride line, and sit outside waiting for them? Go through a separate exit and try to find them at the loading dock? There's a reason Disney allows mobility impaired people to bring up to six people with them. It's so groups aren't split up.

No one has to "say the people with them are family" to use a GAC card or alternate entrance for mobility impaired people. Disney NEVER asks if the people with you are your "family". Disney simply asks if you're all in one "party".

My best friend has a hidden disability that would require the use of a GAC card, if she ever visited Disney. We would be travelling together. Disney would never expect us to split up, just because I'm not blood related to her!
My choice to say family was wrong. Of course those in a group should stay together. I should have said friends/family. I still say that paying someone to be a member of their group so you can use their GAC is a grey area.
AngiTN is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:11 AM   #112
TJBerry
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 233

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaShaw View Post
Who would spend $130/hour when they can rent a wheelchair for $10/day?
A person that wants to feel superior to other park-goers and somehow believe they are getting something special.

It is all about entitlement.
TJBerry is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #113
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiTN View Post
My choice to say family was wrong. Of course those in a group should stay together. I should have said friends/family. I still say that paying someone to be a member of their group is a grey area.
They're not paying her for her disability, as it's been clearly established in this thread that being mobility impaired isn't a huge advantage in the parks. They're paying her for her time and expertise.

I know how to tour the parks efficiently. I know which rides need to be hit early, or fastpassed. I know where to find everything. If I lived in Florida, I'd be happy to have someone pay me an hourly wage to lead them through the parks. And I'd be happy to make them feel like VIPs. Heck, if I did it often enough, I'd get friendly with the CMs and there'd be lots of waving and smiling as we went by, further enhancing the VIP illusion.
Magpie is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #114
rainynight
Mouseketeer
 
rainynight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Indianapolis
Posts: 385

Why not just lie and get your own GAC? Who would be dumb enough to pay for something you can so easily get for free? Am I missing something?
Of course I see nothing morally wrong with either way. But then again I don't think any disability entitles anyone to cut in line. We all pay the same ridiculous price and should all wait the same. A GAC should be used to get a limited amount of future return times with no wait and not be an unlimited fastpass. And yes, get the alternate entrance stamp and that is exactly what it is.
rainynight is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:17 AM   #115
luvmy3
When I drink I find its easier to watch my children because I see all 3 of them double, so all 6 of them of them take all my attention
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 20,034

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBerry View Post
A person that wants to feel superior to other park-goers and somehow believe they are getting something special.

It is all about entitlement.
Or maybe $130 an hour to them is like $10 a day to others. Not everyone that spends more money than you does it because they want to feel superior to others. Maybe they do believe they are getting something special, and if they can afford it, so what. Why the hate?

I agree with the pp's this article is nothing more than another lets hate the rich story.
luvmy3 is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #116
JustAKid
DIS Veteran
 
JustAKid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 891

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlove28 View Post
I agree that there are soulless people out there but I am not sure I agree with the outrage on this. Surely the woman from the article is someone of high means but low class. She is the type of person that thinks they are owed an entitlement and clearly lacks character.

But as the PP said - look at it from a different light. It doesn't mean the entire practice is bad. A person with a disability is making good use of a challenging situation. They have a competitive advantage and are using it (putting aside the argument on just how much better a GAC is over proper planning and fast passes).

If you hired a tour guide, showed up that day and it was someone in a EVC would you decline their services? If you had an excellent time with them and a great day, would you rehire them next time or would you pass because of the GAC? If you say pass, that's getting into a discrimination grey area.

Someone is offering you a cheaper rate and potentially faster lines,why wouldn't you hire them? Should someone with a disABILITY not be allowed to be a tour guide?

The jerks from the article are not placing an ad on Craigslist looking for a disabled person to exploit. They are hiring a professional that has held themselves out for hire.

I think the real issue here should be the sense of entitlement exhibited by some, not that handicapped people are being given jobs.

Perhaps they ask for references not because they're shady, but they are tired of negative reactions to of people who cannot separate a legitimate business that does not go against any policy from some of the people that hire them and then brag to the Post that they exploited someone.
THIS! First of all, it's clear that the article itself is utter garbage proofed by its many inaccuracies. However, for argument sake....If one's word is proof enough for Disney on a disablility, why should we hold a different business to higher standards? I think what happened was someone searching saw "skip lines" and decided to go ahead with booking the company. Being a first-timer and being on the boards I know what a HUGE fear this is and would be a selling point for me. Then, the tour guide ended up being in a chair, therefore making their promises accurate, and the person(s) without disabilities passed on the word. "Use this company, the tour guide is in a chair and gets to skip the regular line and get into a 'special' one that's MUCH shorter."

I feel like the company is legit and uses their abilities in a fantastic way but are being exploited for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I completely agree. If we assume that any part of that article is true, I just don't care about the issue.

Someone is getting paid to go to WDW. No rules are being broken. I can't find anything here to bother getting upset about.
Although in the grand scheme of things I agree, there's something to be said for a person who exploits a loophole. Do I get upset? No. Someone, somewhere, is ALWAYS going to find a way, but I still shake my head at them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msjprincess View Post
Seems like they promote the fact that you'll skip lines https://www.biddingforgood.com/aucti...3?id=190040561
I think they DO promote it, and I think it's a smart business tactic. A seasoned WDW goer is going to know it's a crock, but a seasoned WDW goer is also not going to hire a tourguide. They are, essentially, telling the truth. To someone who has never been it would, indeed, look like you are skipping a long line in order to get in a MUCH shorter one. It's clear they cater to other folks with disabilities and therefore all parties would either be in a chair, or get a GAC, right? They are delivering on their promises! It said nothing about getting on the ride faster than anyone else. It's a manipulation of the truth, sure, but not dishonest.
__________________
DH - his brother, DBiL and Me - Plus 3 - DD(8) DD(6) DD(4)
JustAKid is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #117
ses1230
DIS Veteran
 
ses1230's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Philly 'burbs
Posts: 6,105

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadossey View Post
I dont know what is worse, this or the massive # of people in scooters and wheelchairs who are just too lazy to walk and their 10 or 12 hangers on.
You can tell that by looking at them? Wow, you are good!
__________________


1978 CR 2006 CR 2007 OKW 2008 SSR 2009 GF 2010 BLT 2011 BLT 2012 AKV 2013 DCL - Wonder
2013 BC 2014 Pop 2014 BLT
ses1230 is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #118
Magpie
I guess there's not much else to do in the jar
Mean people - they don't matter
 
Magpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,412

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainynight View Post
Why not just lie and get your own GAC? Who would be dumb enough to pay for something you can so easily get for free? Am I missing something?
Of course I see nothing morally wrong with either way. But then again I don't think any disability entitles anyone to cut in line. We all pay the same ridiculous price and should all wait the same. A GAC should be used to get a limited amount of future return times with no wait and not be an unlimited fastpass. And yes, get the alternate entrance stamp and that is exactly what it is.
Oh sure, stamps... you're a disabled person? It doesn't matter if the only way into the ride for you is through an alternate entrance. It doesn't matter if lines are non existent and the able bodied are riding multiple times. You get ONE ride. Period. Now take your disabled cheating self away and be deeply ashamed.
Magpie is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #119
DWillowBay
DIS Veteran
 
DWillowBay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 573

My 25 year old son is Autistic. I would do ANYTHING if he didn't need the GAC, but without it, Disney, which is his only passion in life, would be unattainable for him. I only pray that those who abuse this blessing don't ever have a real reason to discover what it was originally meant to do. I am truly grateful for the opportunity to share Disney with my son. I'd gladly trade a 3 hour wait in a line for his completeness. Sad commentary on who we as a people have become.
__________________


ASMo -1999, POP -2006, DLR - 2007, ASMo -2008, ASMu -2009, BCV - 2010, CSR - 2011, POFQ - 2012, BC - 2012, WL / CR - 2013 POR - 2014, POP! - 2014 POFQ - 2014 SO Blessed !
DWillowBay is offline  
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #120
DisneyKentucky
DIS Veteran
 
DisneyKentucky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bowling Green, Ky. about 45 mins from Nashville, Tn.
Posts: 573

To be honest, I've never waited in line long so I don't get the point. Maybe I go at off times or plan my trip well enough.

That said, my father has had a lung transplant and is now back on oxygen. Before he went back on oxygen he was still "handicap" and so I tend not to judge people based on looks. Still, these people are gross.
__________________
Past Trips: Disneyland- Numerous Times from 1977-1991 when raised in SoCal
DisneyWorld- Sept. 2010, April 2011, Dec. 2011, Dec. 2012, Oct-Nov 2013, January 2013 ran the Half Marathon at Walt Disney World Marathon Weekend 2014 and May/June 2014 Rock Your Disney Side 24 hour event and 2 weekends of Star Wars Weekends!

Upcoming Planned:
DisneyKentucky is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.