Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 06:45 AM   #61
bentopher
Mouseketeer

Was reading online that PEPPERMINT was a good fly deterrent.
Thinking I make myself some satchels to shove in our pockets, and I'm grabbing us all mini fans. I know that bug spray won't work for flys. But hey maybe if we all wear Peppermint that will help. at least the park will smell minty fresh!

May 2013 Pop Century: Star Wars Weekend. The boys 2nd trip. And first trip with Grandma (who hadn't been in 15ish years).
May 2012 All Star Sports: The boys first Disney Vacation, and my first time back in 15 years!
Several offsite trips as a child, a disney cruise in 1994, and ASMu in 1997 for Disney 25th Anniversary!
bentopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:15 AM   #62
Carbonfiber07
Mouseketeer

Just to add my $0.02 to this, we were there last Saturday afternoon and evening and noticed the flies in Tomorrow Land. Around 5pm we sat down to have a cream-cheese pretzel and were attacked by flies. Didn't bother me too much, but my kids were commenting about the flies landing on their legs under the table.
Carbonfiber07 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #63
luvmy2babies
DIS Veteran

I've been on google trying to find out if this has happened before and I haven't found anything, which I didn't like because that means no precedent, no plan. Couple that with all of the people here who have been way more times than I have saying they've never seen anything like it,

I'm sorry for the people there now. For the people heading in, I hope there's a change. After thinking about crowds and weather, this isn't something I anticipated having to worry about since the love bugs usually leave before June. All I can do is hope they leave soon or Disney figures something out or someone figures something out and informs Disney and the other parks experiencing it. We arrive 5/31. We'll have the individual fans and I have plenty of "Skin So Soft" as I love Avon. Thankfully ds is only 3 and won't care if he smells like a girl for a week.

June 2012: Going with the flow with Tropical Storm Debby TR (1st 5 days): http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2953583
June 2013: Our Disney World Road Trip TR: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3137685
May 2014: Best trip yet. Working on the TR
luvmy2babies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:41 AM   #64
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

Flies are not going to be your problem this time of year in Florida. It's the LOVE BUGS. In Florida around now love bugs are everywhere. They don't bite or anything but they are very annoying. Good luck and try not to let it bother you.
2011 - Swan
2012 - Beach Club, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 - Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, 7 night WC FANTASY CRUISE
2014 - Caribbean Beach, Bonnet Creek, Port Orleans Riverside & FQ
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #65
christie_megansmom
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyblz20 View Post
Flies are not going to be your problem this time of year in Florida. It's the LOVE BUGS. In Florida around now love bugs are everywhere. They don't bite or anything but they are very annoying. Good luck and try not to let it bother you.
There have already been numerous people explaining that yes, the love bugs were out in full force, but the issues are with the swarms of FLIES. Different from love bugs. I promise you that I know the difference. There are swarms of flies all over WDW (and a lot of central Florida, it seems) right now.
August 2012 - 10 year anniversary trip - Pop Century
April 2013 - Pop Century

Me / DH / DD5

christie_megansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM   #66
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
This thread and other reports say, yes, flies are and will be a problem.
TJBerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:57 AM   #67
PrincessV
She squished her baby on BTMRR!
Oh wait, it's not 1947, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by staceyeileen View Post
I really don't think this is a WDW issue. I was in Orlando over the weekend and noticed the flies everywhere, and I did not step foot onto WDW property...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
A couple of things: NOT just a WDW issue, don't know what is going on but last week I was in Winter Garden, (not near WDW for those not from FL) Lakeland (about 40 miles away) and in Downtown Orlando (again not anywhere near WDW) major small--think size of house flies...bigger than fruit flies not nearly as big as horse flies EVERYWHERE !
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
Just to reiterate what other posters have said, this is NOT just an issue at WDW. My wife was talking to her Sister last night who lives in Lakeland and she was complaining about the swarms of flies everywhere. They haven't been able to enjoy their patio for over a week. They were at Busch Gardens in Tampa over the weekend and they were bad there too.
Definitely NOT confined to WDW - we spent time in both WDW and Universal last weekend and they were prevalent in both places... as well as I-4. Just ask the grill of my car.

Quote:
Flies are not going to be your problem this time of year in Florida. It's the LOVE BUGS.
Nope, these flies are outnumbering the love bugs 2:1, easily.

FWIW, we aren't having a fly problem on the Tampa Bay coast. Yet... All I can think is that there must've been some weird, mass hatching. And perhaps not enough fly-eating animals around? Any word on dwindling frog and lizard populations in central FL?

I run Disney!
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror 10-Miler, 2012, 2013, 2014 ~ Wine & Dine Half-Marathon, 2014 ~ WDW 10K, 2015 ~ WDW Half-Marathon, 2014, 2015
Royal Family 5K, 2012, 2014, 2015 ~ Princess Half-Marathon, 2013 ~ Glass Slipper Challenge, 2014, 2015 ~ Jingle Jungle 5K, 2012
Expedition Everest Challenge, 2012

Last edited by PrincessV; 05-14-2013 at 09:29 AM.
PrincessV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:25 AM   #68
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're NOT talking about love bugs, what I and others saw are flies, regular old flies.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #69
ChrisnKim913
DIS Veteran

Yea I'm 1.5 hours west of WDW just north of Tampa and we haven't had any problems with flies yet. I'm wondering if it might have to do with the orange grove crops. I have heard on the news about a problem with the crop falling to the ground and not being ripe. Maybe this could be a cause also? Just throwing ideas out there.
ChrisnKim913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:29 AM   #70
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

Hmm yea that's weird. I live 30min from disney and what I'm mostly seeing are the love bugs.
2011 - Swan
2012 - Beach Club, Ft. Wilderness Cabins, Animal Kingdom Lodge
2013 - Wilderness Lodge, Art of Animation, Beach Club, Grand Floridian, Boardwalk Inn, 7 night WC FANTASY CRUISE
2014 - Caribbean Beach, Bonnet Creek, Port Orleans Riverside & FQ
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:31 AM   #71
palmtreegirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Hmm yea that's weird. I live 30min from disney and what I'm mostly seeing are the love bugs.
It is weird. I live about the same distance away as you and we just have swarms of love bugs too. I've never seen so many flies in one place, it was really strange.
palmtreegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:43 AM   #72
2Pirates2Princesses
DIS Veteran

Well I guess I better add a fly swatter to our packing list to bring along in our park bag I'm sure my kids will get a kick out of that and it will make for interesting vacations photos! In all seriousness though I hope they figure out something real quick as flies are nasty little pests. This problem has the potential to become a bad infestation real quick.
2Pirates2Princesses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:09 AM   #73
Suellen
DIS Veteran

No problems that I have seen in Celebration with the flies... but we were are AKL two Saturdays ago (05/04) and it was AWFUL!

We were at Universal Sunday of this week and again... terrible!!

I thought at first at AKL it was all the rain we had just had... but now I don't know.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:32 AM   #74
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

Quote:
WRONG!

Seriously, what person can not tell the difference between a love bug and a fly? They look and behave completely differently. What is up with people suggesting these are love bugs or cicadas? How stupid do you think people are?

FLIES are the problem at WDW right now. Love bugs are never a "problem," they are just there.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM   #75
capegirl
DIS Veteran

He's back...and he brought a few friends !
capegirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: