Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-14-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
tmgandolph
Mouseketeer

How the Rich skip the lines at Disney - rent a disabled tour guide.

Wonder what the Dis will think of this:

Quote: “My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ZRkIVc1zItXGDP
Old 05-14-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
dwblonde
Earning My Ears

This was just on Fox News. It's sad what people will do.
dwblonde is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 07:46 AM   #3
jcieutat
Mouseketeer

It is sad. What makes it worse is that Disney is so politically correct that they don't even say anything to people that do these types of things. The wheelchairs and scooters are such a source of abuse at Disneyworld.
jcieutat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #4
kaylasmom07
Mouseketeer

Doesn't surprise me one bit.
kaylasmom07 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #5
jadelane1
Mouseketeer

Disney has to be politically correct or risk getting sued. It is the people who are at fault not Disney. This is what's wrong with society these days. The tour company should be banned from Disney parks if they are running that kind of business. I don't know who's worse the tour company or the people who are booking them. Makes me sad when people act so selfish
jadelane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
rwodonnell
Mouseketeer

2.5 hours for Small World? Something's fishy about this article! :-)

While I am sure people would do this (as the previous poster said, it doesn't really surprise, sadly), our experience when we went with my nephew, who needs a wheelchair to walk any distance, was that it took us more time to get on some rides. Of course it differed from ride to ride, and it wasn't really peak season, and it was 7 or 8 years ago. I am sure there are times and rides where the scheme "pays off".

Aren't there legitimate guides from Disney or other places that can provide the same kind of service legitimately through the fastpass system?
rwodonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
MaxsDad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwodonnell View Post
2.5 hours for Small World? Something's fishy about this article! :-)

While I am sure people would do this (as the previous poster said, it doesn't really surprise, sadly), our experience when we went with my nephew, who needs a wheelchair to walk any distance, was that it took us more time to get on some rides. Of course it differed from ride to ride, and it wasn't really peak season, and it was 7 or 8 years ago. I am sure there are times and rides where the scheme "pays off".

Aren't there legitimate guides from Disney or other places that can provide the same kind of service legitimately through the fastpass system?
Disney guides are $300 an hour, this article says that the moms hired these "guides" for $130 an hour.

For anyone who thinks it is an advantage to be in the parks in a wheelchair because you get to the front of the line I suggest you actually go to the parks in a wheelchair when you can't walk. I have, before my back surgery, and when we go with my MIL we have to use a wheelchair for her. It isn't as great as people think it is, in fact being there in a wheelchair flat out sucks.

Last edited by MaxsDad; 05-14-2013 at 08:34 AM.
MaxsDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:28 AM   #8
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylasmom07 View Post
Doesn't surprise me one bit.
Me neither actually.
Old 05-14-2013, 08:33 AM   #9
Pea-n-Me
Survivor
Call me crazy but I prefer the single bath
Nothing beats the Magic of a Disney Resort!
Will DIS from the Potty
Alice, how's it hanging?

Oh wow. Hold on...

Post your best iPhone/smartphone pictures here!

All Star Music 2001/Polynesian Lagoon View Concierge 2002/Contemporary 2003/Disney Wonder 2003/Yacht Club and Disney Wonder 2004/Pop Century 2005/Dolphin and Pop Century MNSSHP 2005/Disney Magic and Pop Century 2006/Coronado Springs MNSSHP 2006/Dolphin and Disney Wonder 2007/Port Orleans Riverside 2008/Caribbean Beach 2009/Dolphin and Animal Kingdom Lodge Concierge 2011/Grand Floridian and Dolphin, MNSSHP 2013
Pea-n-Me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:40 AM   #10
rwodonnell
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxsDad View Post
Disney guides are $300 an hour, this article says that the moms hired these "guides" for $130 an hour.
Wow... I'm in the wrong line of work! :-) There must be other guides out there, no?

Quote:
For anyone who thinks it is an advantage to be in the parks in a wheelchair because you get to the front of the line I suggest you actually go to the parks in a wheelchair when you can't walk. I have, before my back surgery, and when we go with my MIL we have to use a wheelchair for her. It isn't as great as people think it is, in fact being there in a wheelchair flat out sucks.
Agreed! I do remember that trip with my nephew, and it was rough getting around, and it wasn't even peak. Still, I suppose these people don't bother waiting for the person in the wheelchair, or really spend any time with them, until they get to the next queue.
rwodonnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:44 AM   #11
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

This article is all wrong!

The only *front of the line pass is for *make a wish kids*. Disabilities use GAC card, and that only lets you go though the line as normal or to quiet, cool areas for certain disabilities.

You can hire a $300.00 hour Disney guide but even that only gets you behind the scenes and on a few attractions by passing the lines.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 08:51 AM   #12
chekhovgirl
Mouseketeer

I don't know the policies, but my dad might have to use a motorized scooter while we're there because he had knee surgery, which has lead to problems. Even so, I wouldn't use him to try and get to the front of a line. Having had our only visit within the last decade be during busy Christmastime and really having no problems getting on rides within a reasonable time (because we were smart about it) makes me wonder how people get "caught" in such long lines. I guess we'll see when we tackle February vacation this year! I've been reading about Fast Pass Plus and I kind of feel like it will take the fun out of ride planning and Fast Pass running, but maybe that's just me

chekhovgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #13
ThurlFan
Grim Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgandolph View Post
“My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/m...ZRkIVc1zItXGDP
Doesn't pass the eyeball test. Somebody is fibbing here.
ThurlFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:34 AM   #14
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

I use an ECV regularly.

Almost all attraction lines are "mainstreamed" where I will go all the way to "Load" in my ECV.

If it is a ride type attraction, at Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Toy Story Midway Mania, Figment, Dinosaur, Safari, and Buzz Lightyear I will go most of the way through the regular line and then be diverted. And often the waiting after diversion from the main line is longer than the main line wait.

At Big Thunder Mountain, it's a small world, and Spaceship Earth there is a special line. Yes, the wait on these special lines may not be as long as the regular queue, but it is still not immediate access.

If it is a show there will be special seating area. I have had times when I have had to wait for a next show while people who were in line behind me were let in as there was no more accessible seating available.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:55 AM   #15
doconeill

Fastpass Jedi Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
I use an ECV regularly.

Almost all attraction lines are "mainstreamed" where I will go all the way to "Load" in my ECV.

If it is a ride type attraction, at Splash Mountain, Haunted Mansion, Toy Story Midway Mania, Figment, Dinosaur, Safari, and Buzz Lightyear I will go most of the way through the regular line and then be diverted. And often the waiting after diversion from the main line is longer than the main line wait.
My experience with my father in law two years ago was different with his ECV at several of these.

At Haunted Mansion, we were taken to the exit, and loaded in the unloading area. Only had to wait for a tour that was coming out.

At TSM, we were immediately directed to the Fastpass line, which is also the "accessible" line, then diverted to the accessible platform. This, however, was no time savings as they appear to only load from that area once per full cycle, and there were several in front of us. We had Fastpasses, but were directed before I even got them out and were never asked for them.

At Buzz, we were also directed to the Fastpass line. No Fastpasses.

After that experience, I'd say that less has been mainstreamed than expected, and just having an ECV does provide some advantage.
4th Annual New England DISMeet for GiveKidsTheWorld - Oct 3-5, 2014 - Plymouth, MA

doconeill is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: