Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-14-2013, 07:05 AM   #16
ChloesDaddy
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6packdoesdisney View Post
Unfortunately, this does not surprise me one bit.
There are people of the me, me, me mindset who believe their wants and needs come before those of anyone else.
They will say and do anything to appease their need to feel superior and above everyone else.
They are the misfits of society and even worse they raise children who will become the same way.
These are the types of people who raise criminals, in the end.
Similar to welfare fraud, same mindset.
Such a sad state of affairs.
They ruin things for those who honestly need extra help because of their disabilities.
It has to be a miserable existence. It almost makes me feel sorry for them... almost.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:13 AM   #17
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Is there anything within Disney's policies that prohibits this?

Does Disney have a rule that forbids outside tour guides? Would this fall under that?

If not, isnt this just another example of people doing what Disney allows?

I imagine that people have been paying for years to gain advantages like this and Disney has allowed it to take place.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-14-2013, 07:14 AM   #18
happygirl
DIS Veteran

that is beyond sad. What a lesson to teach your kids
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #19
coconutprincess
DIS Veteran

Someone just sent me the article and of course - I came right to the Dis to see if ya'll knew. this is ridiculous. I am shocked and stunned..... clearly classless people and not a 1% person.

Trips:
Grand Floridian (1980's) - Swan (1993)- Radisson Resort Parkway Band/Majorette Trip (1995) - Radisson Resort Parkway Band/Majorette Trip (1997) - Embassy Suites(1997) - OKW (2000) - Carribbean Beach (2001) - POR (2006) - POR (2009) - POR (2010) - WL (2011) - WL (2013)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:19 AM   #20
Bete
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe overall that you save time doing this tactic.

I've used a GAC and in most instances it's a slower process than the regular lines. I won't say there aren't certain attractions where it might be quicker, but overall it's actually much slower.

Also, if you use a scooter or wheelchair you don't need a GAC to use alternate entrances for attractions. The handicap vehicle gets you to an alternate entrance, not the GAC.

I believe there are many misconceptions about all of this at Disney.

If you use fastpass that will get you into the attractions quicker.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:20 AM   #21
6packdoesdisney
Trippin' 'Round THE WORLD!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kay1 View Post
Follow the link in Larryz's post if you haven't. Very interesting to say the least.
Yeah, looked at it after I posted...oops....still about the same, just add in these people REALLY believe they are superior to others.
These are the type who are above all because of their wealth and undoubtedly can and will do anything to feed their superiority complex.
Hopefully, the IRS takes a really hard look at their tax returns.
Disgusting.
What goes around comes around...not soon enough for these types!
Would not want to be them at the pearly gates, for sure!

Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #22
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCFanatik View Post
Is this against any of Disney policies?
Disney doesn't ask for any proof of disability, so there is no way they can enforce who gets a GAC and who doesn't.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #23
Pixie Princess
DIS Veteran

Location: With Cinderella's mice making a new dress for Belle

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChloesDaddy View Post
I just wonder why someone would be proud of this. If they want to stoop to this level they can just get their own GAC as a PP mentioned. If they are really part of "the 1%" they can afford a VIP tour. The quote, "this is how the 1% do Disney," sounds more like a 5%-er trying to pretend to be a 1%-er to me.
I agree with the bolded. If you were truly in the 1%, I have no doubt you could throw enough money at Disney to get VIP services beyond what is publicly advertised. Surely one does not need to be Tom Cruise to get front of the line/back door access to attractions; one just need to have Tom Cruise money.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #24
kbelle8995
DIS Veteran

Angry

That woman in the NY post article is scum as far as I'm concerned.

Her child would have had to wait 2 hours for a ride. Poor thing. Just another entitled individual who doesn't think the rules of basic decency apply to them.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #25
PrincessJo
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bete View Post
I'm sorry, but I honestly don't believe overall that you save time doing this tactic.
From the article: “My daughter waited one minute to get on ‘It’s a Small World’ — the other kids had to wait 2 1/2 hours,” crowed one mom, who hired a disabled guide through Dream Tours Florida.

If it wasn't a time saver, I don't think they'd keep doing it.

Unbelievable.
Nov 2010 (Caribbean Beach Resort) -- Nov 2012 (Villas at Wilderness Lodge) & Universal (Hard Rock Hotel) -- Jan 2014 (Boardwalk Inn) -- Sept 2014 Universal (Royal Pacific) -- Nov 2014 (PO French Quarter)

Magic, March 9-15, 2013 (Western Caribbean)
Dream, Nov 21-24, 2014 (Bahamas)

DH Me DS(17) Sophie Maggie
Old 05-14-2013, 07:25 AM   #26
TJBerry
Mouseketeer

Maybe Disney needs to take a closer look at places that do this, like Dream Tours Florida, which was the company listed in the article.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Since Small World was specifically mentioned, there is no 'back' or go directly to the front of Small World.

This picture shows the handicapped line for Small World.

It is required to be used by guests with mobility devices (like wheelchairs) because the regular line is not accessible. It is also used by guests with GACs who need a less crowded place to wait. In our experience, often over 1/2 of the guests/groups using it are using it for that reason - they don't have a mobility device.
This picture shows a time when the wait was similar or possibly slightly shorter than the wait in the 'regular line.' The handicapped boarding area is toward the left side of the picture, down at the bottom of the ramp.The ramp at the top of the picture is part of the regular line - you can see how widely spaced the people are in that part of the line.
The ramp people are coming up on the right of the picture, toward you is the exit.

This picture show Small World at a time when the wait in the handicapped area was longer than the wait in the regular line.

My family was at the bottom of the ramp, waiting to get on. The picture is taken from the opposite direct compared to the first picture, looking toward the entrance and exit.
The ramp on the far left of the picture has the people who will get on the next 2 boats.
The ramp in the middle is the exit ramp. The ramp to the far right of the picture is the handicapped line and it went all the way to the entrance and out the gate at the top.
These are some more pictures of Small World that show a longer wait.
The posted wait time for the regular line was 25 minutes and you can see people, at least in this part of the regular line you can see, are widely spaced.

This is the handicapped line at the same time. This line was shown in my previous post and is used by all guests with mobility devices plus guests who need a less crowded waiting spot.

The actual entrance to handicapped line is way up where you can see a man and woman in orange shirts. It extends from the front of this picture all the down the ramp that is shown in the pictures in the previous post. All the people to the right of the photo are also part of the handicapped line.
The regular entrance is where you can see a sign in the background, between the heads of 2 people with orange hats.
In this case, people in the handicapped line will be waiting much longer.

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
Old 05-14-2013, 07:30 AM   #28
agavegirl1
DIS Veteran

How "cool" can it be when part of your WDW plan involves hush-hush conversations and a coded call to a disposable cell phone. Waiting for Karma.
Old 05-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #29
UNCFanatik
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJBerry View Post
Maybe Disney needs to take a closer look at places that do this, like Dream Tours Florida, which was the company listed in the article.
What could Disney do with them if they found this to be true?

if Dream Tours provides the service as described, is it against any of Disney policy?

Does Disney prohibit outside companies to act as paid tour guides within their parks?

I am just curious on what recourse Disney has with this
Old 05-14-2013, 07:34 AM   #30
girlb4amirror
Mouseketeer

Trying to look at it from another light.. It could be the tour guide loves Disney and really wanted to be a Disney tour guide despite their disability. But the fact that they asks who referred you before they even take your call shows the whole thing to be shady. If you're so rich, pay for an an official tour guide. Gees! The NY woman's attitude was despicable!
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: