Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 09:50 AM   #1
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

Question ECV model and idea request

Help!! I've looked through this thread and have not seen anything about this.

I need suggestions for a specific ECV. Please bear with me as I try to explain, since I'm not sure exactly what I'm asking for.
I've looked around on all of the preferred vendor's sites, as well as searched pictures, etc., and I haven't found the information I need. Here's what I'l like help with.

I'm going to WDW in early December, and will be renting an offsite ECV since I can't stand or walk for more than 15-20 minutes without a lot of pain (sciatic nerve damage). I'm going solo, so I have to keep that in consideration.

What I need is some brand/model of ECV that:
1) Has a good sized basket since I won't have anyone else to carry extras like my water, cane, rain poncho, etc.
2) Has a shorter distance from seat to handles. I need some form of lower back support, and the ECVs I've practiced with either had me leaning forward to reach the controls, or sitting on the edge of the seat. Neither are good for my back.

Notes:
1) I will be shipping a package to the Disney resort, so I can include a small pillow or something to add space to allow back support if needed.
2) I'm already planning on attaching a small fabric cooler to the basket or to the back of the scooter if I need to.
3) I'm creative, and I'm thinking of fastening a back support and a collapsible basket (or something similar) with dark twist ties, etc., to discourage someone to just grab them quickly. Since I'm going solo, I can't watch the scooter non-stop, nor can I take everything with me on every ride.
4) My thought is to both decorate the scooter to make it more obvious (IMO more eyes means more people watching if someone were to walk up and start unhooking it), and to fasten it such that it would take a concentrated time and effort to take something.
5) I'm staying on Disney property, so I plan to have everything valuable on a lanyard or small hip/belly pack, and send everything I buy to the hotel. That way if I do lose something, it will just "convenience" items.
6) I'm average sized, so I'm not limited to any specific type or size of ECV.
7) I have enough time between now and then to look around, test different ECVs if I can find them local, and to make something to adapt to what is available.

So if I haven't put everyone to sleep with all of this, I'd love suggestions for a brand/model and preferred vendor. As well as ideas for how to handle the ECV by myself.

Any and all suggestions welcome!
Old 05-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #2
gratefulfred
Mouseketeer

The evc I rented for my mother in law from apple scooters came with a small basket on the front. the handle or tiller on it folded down to fit in a car so you could adjust it closer or further from the seat.
gratefulfred is online now   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

Just about all ECVs I have seen come with an adjustable tiller that you can set as close or as far as you want from your torso. They also have a basket on the front. Sometimes when I am traveling I will put a backpack on the back of the seat, with the straps going across,

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:20 PM   #4
Bete
DIS Veteran

I agree with the other posters. There are ways to secure extra storage on the scooter. Personally, I like a big back pack on the back of the scooter. I have a back pack with extra long straps to secure it well. I look for zipper pulls with holes in them; so, I can lock the zippers together. That's pretty good security. Also, I've locked the straps in a certain way that makes the back pack more secure. I've clipped lunch bags with a lock on the strap to the basket that's included. Some baskets work for this and others may not. You have to be careful to pick a basket that works for this purpose. You can put storage compartments on the arms on the scooter, too. Everything doesn't need to be locked up, either. No one is going to steal your water.

For back support, the tiller is adjustable; so, this should help. If you don't understand this someone can help you if you ask. if you get a travel scooter you can adjust the tiller. My cousin has an orthopedic pillow that helps her with sitting positions.

I will say Disney is one of the best places to feel secure. You need to be careful, but in most instances people will not just steal off your scooter. I've gone solo and I haven't had any issues that way.

You may want to go to a local zoo for a day and try one of their scooters and use some
Bete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
tigger&tigerlover
Mouseketeer

The adjustable tiller is very reassuring. I guess where I rented it from didn't bother telling me about it, or it was a model didn't have it. I plan on going to the zoo and renting theirs between now and December as well.

And that's good news about it being fairly safe.

Any suggestions about how to make it more visible to the crowds, or things I need to watch out for that are only problems when you're solo? (Like opening doors from an ECV- I've already read about that problem).

I really appreciate all of the support and comments...I know I need the ECV for Disney, there's no way I could do it without one, but I don't have any experience with using an ECV for something like this solo trip.

Last edited by tigger&tigerlover; 05-12-2013 at 06:06 PM.
tigger&tigerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
Elvskitty
Earning My Ears

They are more difficult to drive than an ECV, but I find the power wheelchairs easier on my back than the traditional ECV. The control is at the end of my armrest rather than in front of me. My issue is thoracic spine though, not lumbar. I agree with other posters, have the ECV adjusted. Even though the preferred vendors are "allowed" to drop off with bell services, I am sure they would meet you in person to set up and adjust if you requested...

MB
Elvskitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:02 PM   #7
peemagg
We are doing the AKL tri-fecta
You will find us wrapped up in them at night and on the weekends

I find going thru doors (like at your resort) when by myself it is easier if I open the door and back in and drive or pull the scooter thru. I don't try to drive the scooter thru while on the scooter. It is harder to get those heavier doors open and hold it open when on the scooter. By backing in yourself, you can use a foot or rear end to hold the door open while slowly driving the scooter forward in. You could also put the scooter in neutral and pull the scooter in by the tiller.
peemagg is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: