Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Meets
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 12:20 PM   #676
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunless View Post
That's our plan for both days, with the hope of having one of those great Italian dinners that go very late. Trying to decide about how to go about getting lost, lol. Head straight to st marks and then loose ourself getting back to the boat? The east side of the grand canal on day one, west side day two? What is the best way to get lost?
I think that is going to be our plan on one of the days - catch the water taxi there (well, it is Venice so it would be rude not to) & amble back. Dependent on how that goes we'll see what we do on day 2!

Celestine

12 night Baltic July 2015
7 night repo Dover - Barcelona August 2015

DVC Member since November 2007
Previous: 6 x Disney cruise inc EB PC repo'08, Baltics '10 & Venice Med '13
DL - 2008 & 2012
WDW - lucky enough to be losing count!
Celestine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:05 PM   #677
MeeskaMooska13
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment_Fan View Post
We're doing a DCL excursion in Venice on the first day. DD and I are doing a ghost walking tour that evening. DS and DW don't want anything to do with ghosts.

I plan on roaming around Venice on day 2 on my own. I plan on finding and taking an old fashioned map and getting properly lost, then finding my way back to the ship. Planning on just staying on foot, not using the water taxis, but trying to find all the bridges. Now, how many of my family will go with me is another question. I have a feeling everyone is going to be a little foot sore and tired by this day of the cruise.
Thanks Figment. I've booked a "Venice by Night and Gondola ride" through Viator. It was fairly reasonable as far as gondola rides go. There is something magical about Venice at night and I wanted my DD's to experience it. I think we'll do day 2 on our own.

Polynesian 2014; Coronado Springs 2013; Coronado Springs 2012; Boardwalk Inn 2005; Yacht Club 2003; Animal Kingdom Lodge 2002; Polynesian 2001; Disney's Hilton Head Island Resort 2000; Wilderness Lodge 1996; Dixie Landings 1993; Off-site 1991; Off-site 1988

Magic in the Med 2013
MeeskaMooska13 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 07:46 PM   #678
Pavilion 2000
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeeskaMooska13 View Post
Are any of you NOT doing a DCL excursion in Venice? Just looking for alternatives!
We signed up for a mask decorating class (not through Disney) the first day we're in Venice. That evening, we're doing a ghost tour via Viator.

The second morning, I got us tickets to the Doge Palace with the secret itinerary tour. After Doge Palace, I figured we would just walk around St. Peter's Square and then back to the ship.
Pavilion 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:02 PM   #679
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Ummmm, bunless, for me getting lost is EASY. I suffer from directional impairment. I'm one of the few guys who will stop and ask for directions. No choice. I'm lost within a few minutes.

And, just because my head is attached and I won't lose it, doesn't mean that the grey matter inside is always properly engaged.

I can always try to blame the many ear infections I had as a kid for screwing up my sense of balance and therefore my sense of direction, but, I believe that I have always been directionally impaired.

Maybe I can find a support group . . . "Hi, my name is John - and I'm lost, like, all the time."
Old 05-14-2013, 01:36 PM   #680
pixie3
Mouseketeer
My nick name in high school was Boof!!!
I'm sure this isn't gonna go over well, but I'd like a banana clip

FINALLY booked my airfare and hotel. That is a serious weight off of my shoulders!

They canceled the private ball at the Doge's Palace. I was really looking forward to that. They said that they didn't have enough interest. That is impossible because I know people were trying to book it and it was full!!! Oh well. I think we are going to do Venice on our own for both days. If I do an organized tour at all I'll probably look into Viator.

Reminder to check the FE list on my signature to make sure your information is correct.
12/01 NYE Cruise Magic, 3/04 Magic, 8/05 Magic, 3/06 Magic, 5/07 1st Transatlantic Magic, 5/08 Panama Canal Magic, 3/9 Magic, 11/09 Wonder, 6/10 1st Baltic Sea Magic, 1/11 Maiden Voyage Dream, 6/11 Alaska, 7/12 Fantasy, 7/13 Magic Europe w/Venice, 7/14 Magic Greece w/Santorini, 6/15 Norwegian Fjords
pixie3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:43 PM   #681
thestewarts
Seasoned WDW Vets!

Booking tickets for attractions in Italy

Hi folks
We've been looking at various options for tours in the Italian ports. One website which we used last time was www.tickitaly.com who are considerably cheaper than Viator and Disney. They accept payment by card on their website. I think it's the Italian museums website.
Last time we booked tickets in advance for the Coliseum in Rome. When we arrived there we skipped a very long line which stretched for miles as we had timed tickets. Definitely worth a look.
Regards
Old 05-14-2013, 06:34 PM   #682
Kellycanada
Earning My Ears

Venice

Hi. I found this on trip advisor. We're not doing it, but I thought I'd pass it along.

With Row Venice you have the opportunity to learn how to row like a Venetian! This is the Venetian style of rowing - standing up, facing forwardsójust like that made famous by the gondolier.

During your 1.5-hour lessson, you'll be instructed in the particulars of the Venetian rowing style, then row with your instructor first through the canals of Venice and then out into the lagoon, where you'll even have the opportunity to steer this beautiful, all-wooden craft.

Row Venice offers lessons to individuals, small groups (2-6 people), and larger groups with multiple boats. Lessons are offered in English and Italian, with the possibility of French, German, and Japanese. See the website for complete information: rowvenice.org
Kellycanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #683
Figment_Fan
DIS Veteran

Okay, excitement just increased exponentially! I just recieved our flight times and seating assignments. Yeah!

We're going from Grand Rapids, Michigan to Atlanta then on to Barcelona. We will be arriving in Barcelona at 8:30 in the morning on the 24th. So, a full day in that wonderful city. Alright, we will be jet lagged. Adreniline should kick in a little. Run us all ragged for the day, then everybody in bed early until we get up in time to get to the ship.

Starting to spend time on research on the cities. It is starting to get to the point of spending most of my day thinking about the cruise.

I finished tiling our front entryway last week and started on the kitchen a couple of days ago. I really need to concentrate on that. I'm having to remove the half inch thick layer of pressed board that was there under the linoleum so I can put in the correct underlayment for the ceramic tile. My shoulder, arms, and back are killing me. Now my mind is back to reality. 67 days until we begin this trip. More to do, more to study, more to learn.

Take Care Everybody
Old 05-17-2013, 05:04 PM   #684
mikeandmela
Earning My Ears

I'm right there with you Figment, spent the last 2 days cleaning debris and repairing the house after a visit by a tornado Thursday AM, thankfully the damage to our place was quite minor compared to others in the state. So I'll be sore and tired for a while.
On to the cruise, would anyone like to share about formal night? Someone at work said we can rent formal wear on the Magic. We are on the fence about this and would love to hear your thoughts etc.
Thanks, Mike

Last edited by mikeandmela; 05-17-2013 at 05:10 PM.
mikeandmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:19 PM   #685
Doingitagain
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeandmela View Post
I'm right there with you Figment, spent the last 2 days cleaning debris and repairing the house after a visit by a tornado Thursday AM, thankfully the damage to our place was quite minor compared to others in the state. So I'll be sore and tired for a while.
On to the cruise, would anyone like to share about formal night? Someone at work said we can rent formal wear on the Magic. We are on the fence about this and would love to hear your thoughts etc.
Thanks, Mike
We always rent tuxes for DH and DS21. You get tux, two shirts and shoes. They wear the shoes as dress shoes all week, saves us from bringing size 12 and size 14 shoes in our luggage! Their is a link on DCL in the "gifts" section, I believe. It is cruiselineformal.com. Don't wait too long, because they do run out of sizes. Last year on Alaska DH had to wear a size larger shoe because they ran out of his size.

They wear the tuxes for formal night, semi formal night and for Palo.
Aulani 3/2013
Saratoga 6/2006, 10/2008, 7/2009, 12/2009, 12/2014
AK Jambo 3/2012, 7/2014
Boardwalk 12/2014
Royal Garden London 7/2007, 7/2010
Mandarin Oriental Wash DC 4/2007
Grand Calif 7/2005
Doingitagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 07:52 AM   #686
mikeandmela
Earning My Ears

Thanks Doingitagain!
mikeandmela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:32 PM   #687
Flora Fan
Can't wait for my next trip!

A question for Londoners

Well this is going to seem like an odd request for a cruise leaving out of Bacelona, but...DH, DS (23) & I will be spending three days in London before the cruise. DH & I have been to London for a few days before Northern European Capitals cruise, but DS has never been.

Question: if you had friends coming to London and wanted to show them something unique, fun, or totally cool, where would you take them?

We have two things planned. Westminster Abby as DS will find this neat and a restaurant we found called 'Roc 'N Soul'. Best fish and chips these Yankees have ever had. (Admittedly, this is not a difficult feat to accomplish, but I still have the picture of the plate of food we ate that day)
Old 05-19-2013, 02:34 AM   #688
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora Fan View Post
Well this is going to seem like an odd request for a cruise leaving out of Bacelona, but...DH, DS (23) & I will be spending three days in London before the cruise. DH & I have been to London for a few days before Northern European Capitals cruise, but DS has never been.

Question: if you had friends coming to London and wanted to show them something unique, fun, or totally cool, where would you take them?

We have two things planned. Westminster Abby as DS will find this neat and a restaurant we found called 'Roc 'N Soul'. Best fish and chips these Yankees have ever had. (Admittedly, this is not a difficult feat to accomplish, but I still have the picture of the plate of food we ate that day)
Too many cool things! As A Londoner there is still so much I have not done. Remaining things on list are the new cable car by the O2 arena, plus a climb up the dome of the arena - you could do this having caught a boat down the Thames. Also the new viewing platform at the Shard is now open - pricey but amazing views. To ease the pain on the wallet the Museum of London has many neat things & is free and allows a walk through the City of London. I love walking London as there is so much you miss otherwise. Check out the "nose"in Admiralty Arch - you need to approach from Trafalgar Square and pick the left hand arch - then check out the lamp posts on the Mall - they all have ships on the top so that Nelson can keep watch on his fleet. I could go on, but I'm being reminded that I am supposed to be making bacon butties! If you think of anything else, let me know!

Celestine

DL - 2008 & 2012
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 AM   #689
mom_rules
LOVES the Yachtsmen!
HATES snakes!!!

We will also be in London before the cruise. Have a two day hop-on-hop-off bus ticket which includes admission to the Eye and Tower of London.
Beach Club concierge/Wonder Mar '05
Boardwalk Inn Concierge Oct 2004
Carribean Beach Resort Oct 2004
Yacht Club Concierge April 2004
All Star Music April 2004
Grand Californian Concierge-Disneyland September 2003
Beach Club May 2003
Beach Club May 2001
Coronado Springs May 1999
Carribean May 1996
Offsite October 1987

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
mom_rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #690
Celestine
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom_rules View Post
We will also be in London before the cruise. Have a two day hop-on-hop-off bus ticket which includes admission to the Eye and Tower of London.
Make sure you check out the 4D experience that is part of the Eye attraction. If you are not prebooked at the Eye, go early (when it opens), late in the day or be prepared to wait. Same also applies for the Tower - if you have chance to listen to a Beefeater giving the talk it is worth while. Starbucks within spitting distance if you need a caffeine hit too!

Celestine

DL - 2008 & 2012

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: