DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC-Mousecellaneous
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2013, 08:16 AM   #1
budafam
DIS Veteran

DVC limiting giftcards for payment?

There have been reports (on other forums) about DVC limiting gift cards for payment on things like the dining plan or tickets... anyone have any experience with this? We're renting points from someone for December and I've been buying gift cards to pay for our dining plan (I have well over $2000 worth at this point)... if this is true, I'm screwed...
budafam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:34 AM   #2
Tinkerdreams
DIS Veteran

Never heard of Disney refusing gift cards - DVC or otherwise.
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #3
ML_LovesDisney
DIS Veteran

I have had trouble before if I had too many gift cards because their payment processing screen can only hold so many types of payment. So if you have 20 gift cards, they may not be able to use them all in one transaction. This happened to me about 1.5 yr ago so maybe it's different now or just the person I spoke with didn't know how to do it, but it was definitley an issue for me when I was buying Annual passes through member services.

ML_LovesDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
robinb
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML_LovesDisney View Post
I have had trouble before if I had too many gift cards because their payment processing screen can only hold so many types of payment. So if you have 20 gift cards, they may not be able to use them all in one transaction. This happened to me about 1.5 yr ago so maybe it's different now or just the person I spoke with didn't know how to do it, but it was definitley an issue for me when I was buying Annual passes through member services.
I used Disney gift cards to pay for my annual passes at the MK along with my Disney rewards card. I also used Disney Gift cards to pay for my 300 points worth of dues in January. I used way more than 20 of them! I hope they don't change the rules! I saved a lot of money buying them at Target in December.
robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

If I remember correctly (from my experience on using my Target bought GCs to pay for PAPs), Member Services have a limit on the # of types of payment they can use. I think it was 2.

So, I believe a lot of us, either had ourselves transferred directly to the Ticketing # or called the Ticketing # directly to pay using our GCs (and I had 20!)

I know they can be used to pay MFs with no problem.

DDPs I haven't personally tried, but I am guessing they'll have the same problem. Maybe after verifying your membership they can transfer you to Dining Reservations? Not really sure.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #6
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
If I remember correctly (from my experience on using my Target bought GCs to pay for PAPs), Member Services have a limit on the # of types of payment they can use. I think it was 2.

So, I believe a lot of us, either had ourselves transferred directly to the Ticketing # or called the Ticketing # directly to pay using our GCs (and I had 20!)

I know they can be used to pay MFs with no problem.

DDPs I haven't personally tried, but I am guessing they'll have the same problem. Maybe after verifying your membership they can transfer you to Dining Reservations? Not really sure.
I believe you are correct. Last year when I tried to pay for may DVC discounted annual passes over the phone... they could only take 2 forms of payment. However, I had no problem using 12 gift cards to pay for the passes in person as I checked in at the Contemporary.

the only disadvantage is that you can not use 20 gift cards to pay for tickets, etc over the phone to avoid a price increase if your trip will start just after disney does their semi-annual ticket price increase.
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #7
lisaviolet
Happy DVC Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
There have been reports (on other forums) about DVC limiting gift cards for payment on things like the dining plan or tickets... anyone have any experience with this? We're renting points from someone for December and I've been buying gift cards to pay for our dining plan (I have well over $2000 worth at this point)... if this is true, I'm screwed...
I had the same thought with all these posts around it all late last year.

However, it was around the AP purchase through Member Services. Because I paid for a dining plan, by phone/MS, with numerous gift cards - without an issue.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:28 AM   #8
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

Quote:
Originally Posted by budafam View Post
I think the bigger issue is having the owner agree to read off ALL that GCs over the phone to MS. I am hoping you're giving them a heads up that that is what you plan to do. Essentially, since the owner has to do it, you'd have to write up all those #s, send it over email or something to the owner and then they'd have to give those to MS. Normally for MFs those could be faxed.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:53 AM   #9
budafam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by myxdvz View Post
I think the bigger issue is having the owner agree to read off ALL that GCs over the phone to MS. I am hoping you're giving them a heads up that that is what you plan to do. Essentially, since the owner has to do it, you'd have to write up all those #s, send it over email or something to the owner and then they'd have to give those to MS. Normally for MFs those could be faxed.
The owner is actually the one who suggested it. She does the same for her own payments. She did call and they will take any amount of gift cards so apparently this rumor is not true. I am going to purchase the rest of mine tonight though so she can purchase with them asap in case something does change.
budafam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:44 PM   #10
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

For the tickets there's always been a limit of 2-- that's true even if you buy tix directly on the phone not thru DVC
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:37 PM   #11
SuzanneSLO
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpooh108 View Post
For the tickets there's always been a limit of 2-- that's true even if you buy tix directly on the phone not thru DVC
Last year, I was able to use 16 gift cards over the phone to buy 2 DVC APs. I called the ticketing line. -- Suzanne
SuzanneSLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:25 AM   #12
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzanneSLO View Post

Last year, I was able to use 16 gift cards over the phone to buy 2 DVC APs. I called the ticketing line. -- Suzanne
Yes, Cheshire Figment has posted that they can take many cards now at ticketing (not DVC though so not relevant I guess).
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
vicki_c is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: