Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
JennyDrake
Darkwing Duck's Biggest Fan

First time WC user : chair-walk-chair report!

First of all thank to all who helped with info!!!

I am forty something and recovering from a ruptured Achilles. I am to walk as much as I can tolerate , but I am SLOW and tire VERY easily. The foot also starts screaming obscenities when i overdo it.

I rented a chair from walker Mobility--nothing but goo things to say about their rates and SERVICE.

Stayed at AS Music and my friend Cathy was with me, now known as She Who Offered to Push.

She would push me to the food court then onto the bus then into the the park of our choice that day. We would park the chair, collapsed, either in obvious stroller/ECV parking or find an unobtrusive place (usually behind a trash can) and I would walk for a few hours. We tied a bright bandana to the hand grips.

This system worked PERFECTLY!!! On the buses I would transfer to a seat and we would collapse the chair. Boarding was quick and efficient. When departing, if I was not too tired, I would step off at the back door and Cathy would hoist the chair. Or I would walk down the ramp. If I was too tired and creaky, we would use the ramp. Going up/down the steep front steps would have been hard for me.

I am not overweight and unless you see my really nifty scar, I don't look like I should be using a chair. I got NO nasty looks from anyone, anywhere.

If you are even considering doing this, I cannot emphasize how easy and trouble free it was! And when in doubt RENT THE CHAIR!!! I could not have endured the parks w/o it.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:30 AM   #2
StrwLady
Why did I buy that van?! Now I can't afford a Disney trip!!!

Location: Born and Raised In New Orleans but now lives In Dallas, TX

I am glad you found a system that worked for you.

I also wanted to say I sympathize with you current situation. 2 years ago (to the day) I had reconstructive surgery for achilles tendon rupture. I actually tore the tendon off the bone. My scar is about 10 inches long. I also have a scar on the bottom of my foot. The Dr transferred the tendon from my big toe to my heel and then sewed the original tendon to the transferred one. Because he used the tendon from the big toe I can not bend my to at the first joint. It still drives me nuts!

That year I originally had Disney planned for June (what would have been 3 weeks after the surgery) but pushed it forward to July. 6 weeks after the surgery (in a torture device....umm I mean walking boot) I was in Disney. At the time I was only allowed to put minimal weight on the foot so I didn't do much that trip. I was just happy to be out of bed (at first was in a cast and only allowed to move to wheel chair for 6 weeks), in Disney and enjoying seeing my son have fun!

(I was also so very happy for the roll in shower. That was the first real shower/bath I had in 6 weeks! )

Here's to achillies tendon health!
2/78 Lake Buena Vista Best Western ~ 2/97 All Star Music ~ 3/00 Hawthorn Suites ~ 9/00 All Star Music ~ 3/01 ~ All Star Movies ~ 5/01 Polynesian ~ 10/01 Polynesian ~ 2/02 Contemporary ~ 12/02 Boardwalk Inn ~ 5/03 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/03 Boardwalk Inn ~ 3/04 Contemporary Tower ~ 10/04 Polynesian ~3/05 Wilderness lodge ~ 4/05 Beach Club ~ 9/05 Beach Club ~ 12/05 Beach Club ~ 3/06 DisneyLand Grand Californian ~ 6/06 All Star Music-Contemporary-Beach Club ~ 9/06 Polynesian ~ 12/06 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/07 Disneyland Hotel ~ 6/07 All Star Sports ~ 8/07 Saratoga Springs/Pop Century ~ 9/07 Beach Club ~ 5/08 Wilderness Lodge ~ 3/09 Pop Century ~ 8/09 Contemporary ~ 7/10 Swan-Pop Century ~ 7/11 Pop Century ~ 6/12 Pop Century ~ 3/13 Pop Century ~ 8/13 Pop Century

Coming soon...
2 weeks in the World! Pop Century 6/14

StrwLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #3
ttintagel
DIS Veteran

Thanks for the update - glad to hear everything worked out!
ttintagel is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: