Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 09:13 PM   #2911
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

We just booked our 1st anniversary trip for December 7-12 at GF!!! We got married last year at Disney on 12/8/12 and honeymooned at GF. We are sooooo excited to be going back. We had an amazing time last time. The grand has became our fav Disney resort! We booked the same room type. Outer building TPV, and were gong to request Sago. Would love to get same room number that we had on honeymoon but that prob won't happen.

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
Old 05-13-2013, 04:51 AM   #2912
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

We're here at the GF! Got in last night. We were upgraded from a Garden View to a "Lagoon View" with a clear view of the MK. I had requested Sago but we're in Boca Chica with the upgrade, I did get the first floor as requested. Its a corner room and has 2 balconies - one has the usual sliding doors and overlooks Narcoosie's and another closer to the bathroom/table with a single door that looks right on to the lagoon. Both have a view of the castle and we were able to watch the electric water pageant and fireworks last night.

The room is nice, very happy. I'm on a conference rate and asked once again at the front desk if I could add concierge for a fee or upgrade to a suite (I tried on the phone before and they said no.) The CM was very nice and spent a while on the phone "trying to work some magic". They did offer me concierge but the total would be about 3x what I'm paying so not worth it. But the great view and 2 balconies and possibly a bit more space?? is perfect! Do all the rooms have a little table with 2 chairs? I suspect this one is slightly bigger because its in the corner and the entry way is longer/turns. Perfect for us with strollers and 3 adults.

The GF is as nice as I imagined and the lobby smelled as good as you all said! Haven't even made it to the beach pool yet. The new jets on the courtyard pool have colored lights at night, I thought that was a cool look.

Oh, and I WAS able to pick up my conference-rate park tickets from the concierge instead of having to go to a park guest services. The CM wasn't sure either, but she made it happen.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 AM   #2913
Grace&Carolinesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayGirl22 View Post
We're here at the GF! Got in last night. We were upgraded from a Garden View to a "Lagoon View" with a clear view of the MK. I had requested Sago but we're in Boca Chica with the upgrade, I did get the first floor as requested. Its a corner room and has 2 balconies - one has the usual sliding doors and overlooks Narcoosie's and another closer to the bathroom/table with a single door that looks right on to the lagoon. Both have a view of the castle and we were able to watch the electric water pageant and fireworks last night.

The room is nice, very happy. I'm on a conference rate and asked once again at the front desk if I could add concierge for a fee or upgrade to a suite (I tried on the phone before and they said no.) The CM was very nice and spent a while on the phone "trying to work some magic". They did offer me concierge but the total would be about 3x what I'm paying so not worth it. But the great view and 2 balconies and possibly a bit more space?? is perfect! Do all the rooms have a little table with 2 chairs? I suspect this one is slightly bigger because its in the corner and the entry way is longer/turns. Perfect for us with strollers and 3 adult

Congrats on the Lagoon View!!!! It sounds beautiful. I have never heard of that room set up with the extra door/balcony. Would LOVE to see some pics if you get the time. Have a wonderful vacation

CR--May 2006 Poly--April 2007 Poly--April 2009
YC-- April 2010 CSR--Oct 2011 GF--July 2014
Old 05-13-2013, 09:12 AM   #2914
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW1970 View Post
Does anyone that has been to the GF recently know anything about this?

Thanks
I can confirm it wasn't operating last month. Lifeguard said it hasn't been for a couple months. Sorry, though, that I have no new info on if and when it will run again.
Old 05-13-2013, 09:15 AM   #2915
cgulls
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulu'sMom View Post
I should know this but I don't. Does the GF have the keurigs in all their rooms?
Our room in Boca Chica did not. It did have the thing that brewed two side by side cups (of not-so-great coffee) using the little pods that resemble tea bags.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:26 PM   #2916
BayGirl22
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace&Carolinesmom View Post
Congrats on the Lagoon View!!!! It sounds beautiful. I have never heard of that room set up with the extra door/balcony. Would LOVE to see some pics if you get the time. Have a wonderful vacation
Thanks. I'll try to get pictures. We got in late last night but I should have taken some before we unpacked! I need to figure out if the rooms above us have the same layout or if its an anomaly on the first floor.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:50 PM   #2917
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012DisneyWorldBride View Post
We just booked our 1st anniversary trip for December 7-12 at GF!!! We got married last year at Disney on 12/8/12 and honeymooned at GF. We are sooooo excited to be going back. We had an amazing time last time. The grand has became our fav Disney resort! We booked the same room type. Outer building TPV, and were gong to request Sago. Would love to get same room number that we had on honeymoon but that prob won't happen.
Congrats on booking the Grand for your anniversary trip! It certainly does have a way of making guests want to return again and again.

Have you added the room number to your requests? Most posters will say not to do this, as it will make it harder for the room assigner to give you a comparable room if the one you request is unavailable. I've read of a number of guests who request the same room, and I've done it at check in, so it's possible. Just a thought.

Quote:

The room is nice, very happy. I'm on a conference rate and asked once again at the front desk if I could add concierge for a fee or upgrade to a suite (I tried on the phone before and they said no.) The CM was very nice and spent a while on the phone "trying to work some magic". They did offer me concierge but the total would be about 3x what I'm paying so not worth it. But the great view and 2 balconies and possibly a bit more space?? is perfect! Do all the rooms have a little table with 2 chairs? I suspect this one is slightly bigger because its in the corner and the entry way is longer/turns. Perfect for us with strollers and 3 adults.

The GF is as nice as I imagined and the lobby smelled as good as you all said! Haven't even made it to the beach pool yet. The new jets on the courtyard pool have colored lights at night, I thought that was a cool look.

Oh, and I WAS able to pick up my conference-rate park tickets from the concierge instead of having to go to a park guest services. The CM wasn't sure either, but she made it happen.
Wonderful! Have a magical, Grand vacation. Congrats on the upgrade, the corner rooms are tough to get. Very few rooms have the table and chairs, after the 2007 renovations they added a desk and there wasn't enough room for the table. The corner rooms are a bit larger.

Quote:
Thanks. I'll try to get pictures. We got in late last night but I should have taken some before we unpacked! I need to figure out if the rooms above us have the same layout or if its an anomaly on the first floor.
Can't wait to see your photos! There are a number of rooms at the GF with those angled entry halls, and some other oddities. One of the things that makes the resort so charming, to us.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 05-14-2013, 06:31 AM   #2918
MommyGina
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Congrats on going back to the GF! I have to say that I have been
VERY lucky when booking a specific room number for my stays at the GF. I have always got the room I wanted. I don't know if this happened because I booked so far out, 10 moths before our vacation, or not.

I have requested the same room in RPC that we had a few years ago for our upcoming July vacation, so I will see what happens.
Old 05-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #2919
2012DisneyWorldBride
I was a Disney Bride on 12.8.12
I put ketchup on my ketchup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post

VERY lucky when booking a specific room number for my stays at the GF. I have always got the room I wanted. I don't know if this happened because I booked so far out, 10 moths before our vacation, or not.

I have requested the same room in RPC that we had a few years ago for our upcoming July vacation, so I will see what happens.
That's good to know!! Thanks! I'm going to request it! It would be amazing to be in the same room that we were in when we got married and honeymooned. It will bring back wonderful memories!

Michelle & Jeff's 12/8/12 Disney Wishes Wedding WP/GF/DP Morocco - Planning Journal and Trip Report!!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2850449
Our Wedding / Honeymoon Trip - 8 Day Deluxe Dining Plan Review With Pictures!!! Didn't finish...
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3037533
Michelle - Jeff (DH) - Chanel (Maltese Puppy)
Disney Trips: AP - for as long as I can remember - AKL 8/2011, GF 12/2012 & AKL 12/2012, CBR 9/2013 & GF 12/2013, CBR 8/2014 & GF 12/2014
Old 05-14-2013, 11:25 AM   #2920
jecon
Mouseketeer

Does anyone know when the rooms will be refurbished? Specifically Sugar Loaf? Thanks!
Old 05-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #2921
k&a&c'smom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyGina View Post

You are probably one of the people I remembered posting about room number requests. Thanks for the info.

Quote:
That's good to know!! Thanks! I'm going to request it! It would be amazing to be in the same room that we were in when we got married and honeymooned. It will bring back wonderful memories!
Good luck, I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecon View Post
Does anyone know when the rooms will be refurbished? Specifically Sugar Loaf? Thanks!
I don't think anyone knows for sure, but someone (Tink rules?) posted the GF is slated to be refurbed after the Poly - which is in the process of a renovation right now. This would follow the pattern in 2007, when the GF was overhauled after the CR/Poly renovations.
*1996 Dixie Landings * 1998 Boardwalk Inn * 1999 Polynesian * 2000 Polynesian * '01 HRH * '02 GF * '03 AKL & BC * '04 Poly/AKL & Poly/BWI & POR * '05 AKL/Dolphin & POFQ * '06 Poly/GF & Christmas at the GF * '07 GF & HRH/BWI/WL/YC/GF & GF * '09 Poly/AKL & WL & GF * '10 AKL/GF & RPR/BC/GF *'11 GF & BC * '12 HRH/PBH & YC/GF * '13 GF/PBH
Thnx WDWKOOK! Forever in our hearts, JungleCruiser
Old 05-14-2013, 01:51 PM   #2922
Tink rules
The kids in my family sometimes think I walk on water... the rest of the time they know I'm their nutty AUNT!!!

yup... and then big time changes at the Poly for DVC...

MichelleAll it takes is faith, trust and a little bit of PIXIE DUST!!! Dream of Small worlds and large Mice!Ohana means family, family means nobody gets left behind. Or forgotten. This is my family. I found it, all on my own. Is little, and broken, but still good. Yeah, still good.
Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, she's up!"
1972 - 1986.... Various times while visiting Gram and Gramps!!! 1986 - Off Site Sheraton 192...With Beverly 1987 - Same but this time with Mom 1994 - Poly with Em 1996 - Disney Institute & Poly & Grand Floridian w/Mom 2000 - Grand Floridian w/M 2005 - AS Music & Grand Floridian w/Mom The GRAND Tour!!! Panama Canal WB Repo Cruise 5/2008
Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #2923
baler31
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post
You are probably one of the people I remembered posting about room number requests. Thanks for the info.

I don't think anyone knows for sure, but someone (Tink rules?) posted the GF is slated to be refurbed after the Poly - which is in the process of a renovation right now. This would follow the pattern in 2007, when the GF was overhauled after the CR/Poly renovations.
I did ask about a refurb on our last visit and one of the kind guest service mgr's in RPC mentioned that they were told a soft goods refurb would begin sometime between Thanksgiving and the New Year. After New Year's seems more likely to me as the holidays are a busy time and I cannot see limiting your occupancy during that time But anyway that is what I was told.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:11 PM   #2924
jecon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baler31 View Post

I did ask about a refurb on our last visit and one of the kind guest service mgr's in RPC mentioned that they were told a soft goods refurb would begin sometime between Thanksgiving and the New Year. After New Year's seems more likely to me as the holidays are a busy time and I cannot see limiting your occupancy during that time But anyway that is what I was told.
Thanks!!!
Old 05-14-2013, 03:15 PM   #2925
jecon
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k&a&c'smom View Post

Thanks! That makes sense. We are deciding if we should go for the marathon or wait for a number of reasons (snow white ride, possible splash mountain closure) and this may add to it.
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: