Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2013, 04:52 AM   #256
Simba's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney777 View Post
I calculated $DDP x 14 days and put that on a gift card. I ended up with a just under $200 balance at the end of my trip. So I definitely came out ahead. I liked being able to eat what I wanted.
If you used the GC for tips too, you probably came out WAY ahead!

Our August '13 LIVE!!! TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3154496
Old 05-13-2013, 04:59 AM   #257
natebenma
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyjinx3 View Post
Well we told the kiddos today!! They are super excited and now for me it s REAL! Can't wait to be at the BC in 3 days!!
That is fantastic!!! Best.Mothers.Day.Ever. (for the kids).

You all must be over the moon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post
Thanks for this info. We have been back and forth about the DDP since we booked! It has been stressing me out! I think we will end up removing it from our reservation and paying out of pocket. When I did the calculations we were close to breaking only if we ordered the most expensive entrees at each of our TS meals. I am a super picky eater so a lot of times I prefer to just get an appetizer or nibble off the kids' plates. This validated that it may not be a good value for us.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear View Post
Thanks for the tips! I am going to use a gift card--that is a great idea. I think that we will be fine. I remember last time we were always too full to eat the dessert that came with the CS meals. This time, I can just order a salad, etc. and won't feel like I am "wasting" a credit.
We are skipping the dining plan for the first time in 4 trips. We have 4 nights and two of the sit down meals we are doing are a late breakfast (Kona, 11) and lunch (Sci Fi). We also have a meal at T-Rex which was not originally on the dining plan, but I believe is part of it now. I did the math and estimated the most expensive drink, entree and dessert we might possibly get. We came out about $100 ahead paying OOP, so if some of us skip or share dessert or share an entree, we will be even better off.

Plus, we can order Disney gift cards through a program that benefits the middle school.

Even so, it was a really tough sell for my DH. He really did not want to leave the security of the dining plan and Ben was afraid he would have to compromise on what he ordered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VbChristy View Post
I get to make my dining reservations Tuesday morning! YAY!!!!! I just went through to decide where I want to eat and when. I am not making too many res since we will have a 5 month old on the trip... But I want to get in some favorites and must have's
Good luck! Let us know what you end up with.

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-13-2013, 05:58 AM   #258
JulieODC
DIS Veteran

Hi all! I've been following this thread and getting so much good info for our YC trip in November. Tomorrow is our 180 days -- anyone have thoughts about our current plan? No dining plan here as of yet (we usually do better paying out of pocket, and hope for a resort discount over FD). Do you all mind if I ask for some dining input??

I'm nervous about getting the ressies we want, esp with the new system being so finicky! Any words of advice?

Should I book more ressies - esp for dinners? We will have our 2yo DD in tow, so I was afraid to book too many TS meals.

Here are our tentative plans/ressie wishlist:

Sun, 11/10: Arrive ~12pm, L: B&C (or another resort CS); D: Flying Fish

Mon, 11/11: MK day; B: CP at 8:05; L: Pecos Bills; D: Epcot/resort CS

Tues: 11/12: Epcot day; B/L: CS; D: San Angel Inn

Wed: 11/13: AK day; B: CS; L: Flame Tree BBQ; D: BOG or Cali Grill (before heading to the Electical Parade/Wishes)

Thurs: DHS day; B: CS; L: SciFi; D: BOG or Cali Grill (~5:30pm)

Fri: MK day; B: CS (or CP at 8:05 if we can't get it for Monday); L: MK CS; D: Coral Reef (haven't eaten here before, and know it doesn't seem to get great reviews, but thought our DD would love the aquarium)

My 2013 trip report! Makin’ our way, it’s an ADVENTURE every day! A Nov (10-16) trip with a 2yr old!

DW DH DD2

DCL-Fantasy, Western Caribbean-May 2014; YC-November 2013; WL-November 2012; WL-December 2010; WL-September 2009; POR-December 2004; WL-June 1999; WL-June 1997; GF-April 1990;Treehouse Villas-1986
Old 05-13-2013, 06:01 AM   #259
KerryCM
DIS Veteran

Location: Murfreesboro, TN now, but will always be a MA girl!

Tomorrow morning Jim and I will be on our way to our "alone" trip!! We have a standard view at the YC club level. Dee, I will take pictures for the thread. Hopefully I can figure out how to post them. I am computer challenged, but your directions seem very easy to do!

Thank you all for the great information I have gotten here.
Old 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #260
suemom2kay
DIS Veteran

A word of warning about gift cards. They are like cash. If you lose it, you lose the total value. Disney may or may not be able to look it up and cancel.

This is what we do. We buy gift cards (in Target using our Redcard for 5% off) in $50 increments. I leave them in the room safe. Then we pay for our meals using our KTTW card. I then periodically go to the front desk and pay off our balance.

The first year I used gift cards in lieu of the dining plan, I was walking around with a $500 gift card and it made me a wreck (I lose stuf a lot - ADD).

I think I really posted this helpful advice so I can see my TICKER!!!! FOUR MORE DAYS!!!!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:17 AM   #261
AliceIn
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by catho72 View Post
Here are some random shots from our July 2012 trip
Love the photos! I especially love the smiling in the rain. We had rain at least part of every day our last trip, and we had a wonderful vacation. It's all in how you deal with it. Put on your poncho and put on a smile - you are on vacation!

Old 05-13-2013, 06:36 AM   #262
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Dee: Awesome school fundraiser..............Disney Cards!!! I Love that idea

KerryCM: This is just for you
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #263
catho72
DIS Veteran

On the topic of the dining plan, based on this thread and several others, I am in the minority because I LOVE the dining plan. We've done all three (QSDP, DDP and DxDP) and the only one where I've felt there was too much food and we didn't get our money's worth was on the DxDP. Last summer we used the QSDP. Since the portion sizes are quite large at a lot of CS places, we were able to share many meals. Plus, we saved some of our desserts and ate them for breakfast the following morning. We didn't eat at any TS restaurants and we were OK with that. It was actually refreshing not being held hostage by ADR's. But when we were flying home, I realized we didn't see ANY characters on the trip....no Mickey or Stitch.....and that made me kind of sad.

On trips where we stayed off-site (hence no Dining plan), the sticker shock of our bill for buffets (Chef Mickey's, Tusker House, 'Ohana, Cape May) has made me a true dining plan convert. I also like not having to look at the prices when I order. It's also like staying at an all-inclusive....you don't have to worry about much because it's all included in your trip!

Happy Monday everyone!

We are arriving at the Beach Club in exactly two months from today! Off to do my Happy Dance!!!!

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay

Old 05-13-2013, 07:33 AM   #264
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebenma View Post

We are skipping the dining plan for the first time in 4 trips. We have 4 nights and two of the sit down meals we are doing are a late breakfast (Kona, 11) and lunch (Sci Fi). We also have a meal at T-Rex which was not originally on the dining plan, but I believe is part of it now. I did the math and estimated the most expensive drink, entree and dessert we might possibly get. We came out about $100 ahead paying OOP, so if some of us skip or share dessert or share an entree, we will be even better off.

Plus, we can order Disney gift cards through a program that benefits the middle school.

Even so, it was a really tough sell for my DH. He really did not want to leave the security of the dining plan and Ben was afraid he would have to compromise on what he ordered.

I sold my husband on skipping the DDP this trip by telling him he could order appetizers and a drink at every meal, of he wanted. Not that he couldn't before, but we had already spent so much on the DDP, we stuck to what was included. Often, he'd rather have an appetizer than a dessert though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryCM View Post
Tomorrow morning Jim and I will be on our way to our "alone" trip!! We have a standard view at the YC club level. Dee, I will take pictures for the thread. Hopefully I can figure out how to post them. I am computer challenged, but your directions seem very easy to do!

Thank you all for the great information I have gotten here.
Have fun!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 05-13-2013, 07:49 AM   #265
jakeybake
DIS Veteran

I know I'm a day late but just wanted to wish all the awesome moms out there a Happy Mother's Day! Thank God for all of you because we men couldn't survive a day without you!

I hope you all had an awesome day yesterday!

Jay
Old 05-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #266
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakeybake View Post
I know I'm a day late but just wanted to wish all the awesome moms out there a Happy Mother's Day! Thank God for all of you because we men couldn't survive a day without you!

I hope you all had an awesome day yesterday!

Jay
Thanks Jay!!!

I'm going to be sure and leave this post UP FRONT and CENTER of my computer at home......JUST in time for DH to get home!! Some times he needs a little reminder of how awesome moms are
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal 11/14 - AoA 12/14 - Disney Soccer Showcase
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie:cat
Old 05-13-2013, 08:06 AM   #267
KerryCM
DIS Veteran

Location: Murfreesboro, TN now, but will always be a MA girl!

Just got off the phone with Disney to book our December trip. No rooms at the Boardwalk or yacht Club club level with my discount, but we got a lagoon view at the Beach Club!! I got 2 rooms with my cast discount and the dinning plan!!!!! So very excited. We are taking my son and his family and neither of us has stayed at the Beach Club before.

I know the lounge is small, we loved the Boardwalk for the large lounge for the entire family to sit and enjoy their breakfast. Is the lounge really that small that we won't be able to sit to eat?

So excited to have another trip booked.
Old 05-13-2013, 08:38 AM   #268
firsttimemom
DIS Veteran

We just booked the BC for Nov. We got a pin code for free dining- we're not big DDP fans but free is free! Of course we overcompensated by booking a deluxe room. We've never stayed at the BC before so we're looking forward to exploring a new resort.

Has anyone done an illuminations cruise? In all of our trips we've ever seen Illuminations and I'm thinking about doing this for our kids who turn 14 and 16 while we're there.
2006 (CCI) 2008 (RI)

DCL
Wonder: 5/23/04 ~ Magic: 1/22/05 ~ Wonder: 5/10/09 (PCC 1.0) ~ Wonder: 12/12/10 (PCC 2.0) ~ Dream: 4/17/11 ~ Magic Canadian: 6/17/12 ~ Fantasyturkeyfest 11/17/12 ~ Fantasy 4/12/14

Old 05-13-2013, 08:54 AM   #269
catho72
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimemom
We just booked the BC for Nov. We got a pin code for free dining- we're not big DDP fans but free is free! Of course we overcompensated by booking a deluxe room. We've never stayed at the BC before so we're looking forward to exploring a new resort.

Has anyone done an illuminations cruise? In all of our trips we've ever seen Illuminations and I'm thinking about doing this for our kids who turn 14 and 16 while we're there.
We did and IllumiNations cruise several years ago and it was awesome! The kids enjoyed it so much that they keep asking to do it again. The boat launches from the YC marina then travels over to DHS to see Mickey atop of the mountain at the end of Fantasmic. Then it goes over to Epcot for IllumiNations. You sit just on the other side of the bridge in the lagoon so you have a front row seat to the festivities. Light snacks are included on your cruise....pop, water, chips, pretzels, etc.

It's pretty costly but it's a wonderful experience!

2/02 Holiday Inn (now Nick Hotel) 2/08 POR 9/08 POR 6/09 Regal Sun/Windsor Hills 7/10 Windsor Hills 7/11 Windsor Hills/AKL/BLT 7/12 Beach Club/AKL 7/13 BC CL 2/14 POP/SSR for PHM weekend 6/14 POR/BC CL/AoA split stay

Old 05-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #270
imobsessedwithdisney
Mouseketeer

So excited we just changed our reservation from YC Standard room to BC GV CL!! Leaving in 2 days. May 15-18. So here's my question. We will probably be gettin to the BC around 10:30 do u think the lounge will still have breakfast out or should we grab breakfast instead at the airport?
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: