Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 09:51 AM   #1
chrystalc77
Mouseketeer

AOA advice

Planning our November 2014 trip and had some questions about AOA. There are only 4 of us.....myself, DH, and 2 DS. The guys really want to stay in a Cars suite. I really don't think we need a suite for us 4. I think a LM would suit our needs since we don't spend a lot of time at the resort. However just the words The Little Mermaid makes my guys roll their eyes! Lol! I have heard that LM rooms are more oceanic themed not over the top girly. And on the other hand the suites look awesome! But really am questioning the need/want of a suite. Has any other family of 4 stayed in a suite before? We do have a while to plan/save so that's not an issue. For anyone that has stayed (or not) at AOA can I get some advice? I hope this thread is okay since it's my first post here!!!
chrystalc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #2
CapnJacksGirl
Mom to two little scalliwags!

Unless you are in dire need of having a second bathroom for the four of you, I wouldn't pay the additional cost for the suite. Like you said, you won't be at the resort that much anyway. For me at least, it wouldn't be worth paying more than double for the room. But....if your guys are set on the Cars suite and the cost isn't an issue, go for it. It looks so cute! We're staying in the suites this fall, but there's six of us so it wasn't much of a question. The other option is to do the Little Mermaid room and spend more time exploring the Cars section. Are you absolutely set on AoA? You could do a moderate resort for less than the cost of the suite, and that would get your guys out of the Little Mermaid rooms too. Just a thought.

CapnJacksGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #3
mmtwinmama
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrystalc77 View Post
Planning our November 2014 trip and had some questions about AOA. There are only 4 of us.....myself, DH, and 2 DS. The guys really want to stay in a Cars suite. I really don't think we need a suite for us 4. I think a LM would suit our needs since we don't spend a lot of time at the resort. However just the words The Little Mermaid makes my guys roll their eyes! Lol! I have heard that LM rooms are more oceanic themed not over the top girly. And on the other hand the suites look awesome! But really am questioning the need/want of a suite. Has any other family of 4 stayed in a suite before? We do have a while to plan/save so that's not an issue. For anyone that has stayed (or not) at AOA can I get some advice? I hope this thread is okay since it's my first post here!!!
I'm actually in the same boat. It's Me, my Mom and my two DS's who are 11. The boys really don't like the LM idea, but they WANT to stay at AoA so it is what it is. They wanted to stay in Cars or LK (who am I kidding.. so do I) .... however, I did end up switching our last 2 nights to a suite so we will all be happy. It was $333 more for the suite for 2 nights. We are going 6 nights total. The last 3 days we have a lot more free time so will be at the resort more so that's how I justified it. We also moved our trip up from November so I'm using the money that I had saved for the Christmas Party.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
catra121
DIS Veteran

I think you should stay where you want and if the majority want the suite then go for it.

We're staying in a Lion King Suite in September and it's just me, my brother, and my cousin. Only 3 of us but each having a bed, the kitchenette, and the extra bathroom are all little luxuries that we feel are worth it. It's a special trip for us and my cousin's first (and Lion King is his favorite movie). I think the kitchenette will save us a little money because we will be able to order some simple stuff for breakfasts and also keep left overs from dinners (since we'll have a microwave to heat).

Will that offset the cost of the suite? No...but it will be a fun trip and a nice experience for us. If cost isn't an issue then go ahead and spend the money, enjoy the extra space, and have a great time.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
amym2
DIS Veteran

We've stayed in a Treehouse Villa that holds 9 with just the four of us, so obviously we like our space. We own DVC and prefer to stay in one-bedroom villas instead of studios so the kids have a sleeping area separate from ours. I just do not sleep well in the same room as my kids. And our kids (DS11 and DD9) have never done well sleeping in the same bed, so it's beneficial to us to have lots of beds. I say go for the suite. The kitchenette could be useful as well if you want to eat any meals in your room (we always eat a couple of breakfasts in our room).
amym2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #6
Enchanted Minnie
Mouseketeer

I've only stayed in the suite because there were 6 of us. So I can't help you there. But I noticed we actually stayed at the hotel more then I thought we would. In fact the kids said that was the highlight of their trip. There's just so much to do there and they loved the pool. Having the 2 bathrooms I think would be a plus for the suite. I know the LM room has the little fridge but the kitchenette in the suite came in really handy for us. Having a bit extra room to us at least would be worth the cost. BUT no matter where you stay you'll have a blast!!!
Enchanted Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:48 PM   #7
johnnyblz20
Mouseketeer

I just stayed in the Lion King Suite with 4 adults and DD 6. It was nice to have the space, but if you don't really care about the luxury of having the added room I would just stick with the LM room. Tell your DH if he's a real man he will feel secure in the LM room
johnnyblz20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Fueledbycoffee
Mouseketeer

We stayed at AOA in January. We loved the suites! My parents stayed in a LM room & liked the room except they seemed secluded from the rest of the resort.
Fueledbycoffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:10 PM   #9
afinnteach
Mouseketeer

I recently switched our ressie (DH, DD, and DS and I) from LM to cars suite and I am delighted with our decision. The kids are looking forward to having their own beds and tv in the evenings and so are we! I also think 2 bathrooms will speed us out the door in the morning. The extra space will make downtime much more comfortable. We originally booked LM rooms because it was what we could afford, when that changed we upgraded, I don't think I will regret the decision. Good luck on yours!
Old 05-11-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
bubbapeanut
Earning My Ears

We are here now, in a cars suite with 4p. Me, DH, ds4, and dd1 I think it is perfect of us and give us a little more room. It's nice to have the second bathroom and separate areas to let the baby sleep. I would book a suite

Also, I feel the LM rooms are way to far away.
bubbapeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
chrystalc77
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapeanut View Post
We are here now, in a cars suite with 4p. Me, DH, ds4, and dd1 I think it is perfect of us and give us a little more room. It's nice to have the second bathroom and separate areas to let the baby sleep. I would book a suite

Also, I feel the LM rooms are way to far away.
How are you liking the overall Cars suite experience? Is it closer to the main building than LM?

My family is set on AOA so going moderate isn't an option next year. And I don't mind since they are young to be totally immersed in Disney over the top theming. We got a postcard/flier thing from Disney a few weeks ago that has the pool area lit at night on it and my kids (and who am I kidding myself) were hooked. I could just picture myself in one of those chairs sipping an umbrella drink and watching the kids splash around! That flier is on my refrigerator with a magnet now as a reminder of what I'm saving for! We have done moderate and while they were certainly more spacious than a value standard room it didn't have the Disney feel that we love. We've done CBR and POR and the grounds were beautiful. We will probably return to those resorts once our kids get older. So for now it's going to be AOA for us. Now just deciding on LM vs suite!!! I'm thinking suite....maybe that might change after the booking window opens and I can get an actual quote from a CM! : )
chrystalc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
klsurfer76
Earning My Ears

We just got back a couple of days ago from AoA. We booked a LM room for myself, husband and son. When we checked in, to our surprise, we were given a complimentary upgrade to the Cars suite! We didn't just feel like we got sprinkled with pixie dust, it was more like a bucketful for us. This was our second time going to disney since a few years ago when we stayed at Pop for a two day stay/parks. We loved everything there and would stay again. But we wanted to experience AoA so we stayed with the e affordable standard room. After staying in a suite (which we never have anywhere) I would pay the extra money next time in a heartbeat. It was so magical to have the best at an awesome resort in DW. As I mentioned, it was just the three of us but it was nice to have the extra room to keep our stuff neat and organized instead if the clutter that seems to be inevitable with the size of the standard room like we stayed in last time at pop. There is just one small table to put stuff and seemed like we were tripping over luggage a little in our pop standard room last time. The suite was plenty big and a luxury with the two bathrooms that got us out earlier in the mornings since we weren't all waiting to take showers and have to get ready in the same area. We were wiped after the day so each of us having our own beds was nice to get a good uninterrupted night sleep and you didn't have to be woken up every time someone had to go to the bathroom since the bathroom or shower aren't so close to the sleeping area. (There is a main bed, Murphy bed, and couch bed.) We rotated so I got to try them all and thought they were all comfy. We didnt spend that much time in the room but when we had a little down time it was nice to have the two tvs and big personal areas where we could really relax and recharge and take a little break away from each other. Extra drawer space and extra outlets for charging devices and cameras were nice too. I would make sure I do everything I can to save up for the suite if we ever go again. It was worth it! (Well at least I think it would have been if I had paid for it! Sorry, I don't mean to be rubbing it in.)
klsurfer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:40 PM   #13
klsurfer76
Earning My Ears

Oh and even though I think the LM rooms aren't too Girly and ok for boys, the cars section was AWESOME for boys (and me since I'm a Tom boy.) totally garage themed and tool chest drawers everywhere! The whole theme inside the room, hallways, and outside in front of the cars section was totally perfect for boys!!!
klsurfer76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:57 PM   #14
tnd
DIS Veteran

My husband and I stayed in a ASMu suite with only our son when he was 3.5 year old a few years ago. We are staying in a Cars Suite this summer with our son, who will be 8, and 2 year old daughter as well. Our kids go to bed earlier than we do and my husband and I like to be able to watch TV, talk, read, and use our computers after the kids are in bed. We also are not park commandos and spend a decent amount of time in the room (two year old desperately needs naps). If you can afford the suite, I think it is more relaxing for adults, at least for us.
tnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: