Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies > Theme Parks Community
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #3121
Phoenixrising
Mouseketeer

I think it's amazing idea about becoming a TA!! My good news is that I've been cleared for Kiniesology and can resume normal activities (YAHOO!!!). Bad news is that according to my doc that I can only go on one wild ride a day while at the parks, then have to switch to the tamer ones for the rest of the day. So it's really making me think about what rides to go on when, and is making me plan even more for my DL trip.
Phoenixrising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:31 PM   #3122
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

We made a few changes to our October Vacation plan.
14th Fly in
15th MK ADR at BBB 830, CRT 1015
16th HS
17th AK
18th MNSSP
19th Switch Resorts Anniversary dinner
20th Sea World
21st HS ADR at H&V 1:45
22nd Universal Studio IOA
23rd EPCOT
24th Pool Day
25th MK ADR Chef Mickey 715am (Full Commando Mode)
26th Cape Canaveral and Fly home.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #3123
happy2go2wdwmom
I love that great song!

Commando Club!

Love the name of this thread---must read it! I have a zillion pics of me at WDW of my backside (unfortunately) because I am such a park commando...fav' saying at parks is, "Come on, let's get going...". So much to do so little time!
70's Fav ride 20,000 Leagues UTS; '03 June AKL-DF,DFH,DFS(4),DFS(5),MeDH, DS(4);'04 June HOJO'S Enchantedland-DH, DS(5), DSis (Eyeore) to WDW, Universal, SeaWorld; May '05 ASMo DDP--"OUR PERFECT DREAM COME TRUE VACATION" DH, DS(6); May '07 DDP-POP! w/ DH and DS(8)-SeaWorld;May '08 Free upgrade to CBR and PPP; April '09 Disney Wonder then Universal for SPRING BREAK-DH, DS(10),DF,DFH,DFS(9),DF(11); July '09 PC w/ DH and DS (10);May '10 CSR w/ $500 WDW gc w/DH & DS; Nov '10 PC w/ our middle schooler DS 11!! F&W, Festival of the Masters and "Christmas" at WDW and SW. July 20-26, '11 DS 12, DH (-63 lbs and counting) Y.E.S. Program, PC 5 day premium DQ, TL June 20-27, '12 First TEEN trip!!! DS and DH (-96 lbs and counting!) YES program and BG Tampa~Grabbing those quaility moments while we can! Feb. 22-25, '13 Sistah Tripping! DSis (54) and me (51), Pop Century - had res at CSR but extended stay at PC instead July 2013 - St. Pete Beach/Clearwater BG-Tampa Trip w/ DH and DS14 years old
June 2014-Universal trip w UAP and w DH and DS15--Portofino, Cabana Bay Resort, Hard Rock-club level!!!
happy2go2wdwmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:02 AM   #3124
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

So happy to know I'm not alone! My mother was a commando and I always swore I wouldn't be, but I definitely am! I haven't gone to the lengths of printing out paper itineraries yet, but that's just because the iPhone makes it easy for me to transfer my calendar to DBF's iPhone paperlessly

How do you guys choose which parks to do each day? I typically go by EMH, though I know some people use crowd calendars. Problem is, EMH days tend to have higher crowds. How reliable are the crowd calendars anyway? Any sites you do or do not recommend?

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #3125
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDW in Pearls View Post
So happy to know I'm not alone! My mother was a commando and I always swore I wouldn't be, but I definitely am! I haven't gone to the lengths of printing out paper itineraries yet, but that's just because the iPhone makes it easy for me to transfer my calendar to DBF's iPhone paperlessly

How do you guys choose which parks to do each day? I typically go by EMH, though I know some people use crowd calendars. Problem is, EMH days tend to have higher crowds. How reliable are the crowd calendars anyway? Any sites you do or do not recommend?
Welcome". It was nice to move from paper to phone on those plans. As for picking parks, unless it is a big evening EMH, then we pick the park opposite the EMH. When I say big, I mean 3 hours plus. Thus, if there is a 1 or 2 extra hour EMH at Epcot, then i figure I am better going MK or DHS. Yes, I don't get those 2 hours, but I usually get smaller crowds and less wait time. Now, of it is 3 hours evening only EMH, then I am at the park from RD until close.

Other methods of picking parks for me include avoiding Epcot on weekends during F&W and skipping parks on days during special ticket events (MNSSHP).
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:29 PM   #3126
WDW in Pearls
Monograms and Minnie Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post

Welcome". It was nice to move from paper to phone on those plans. As for picking parks, unless it is a big evening EMH, then we pick the park opposite the EMH. When I say big, I mean 3 hours plus. Thus, if there is a 1 or 2 extra hour EMH at Epcot, then i figure I am better going MK or DHS. Yes, I don't get those 2 hours, but I usually get smaller crowds and less wait time. Now, of it is 3 hours evening only EMH, then I am at the park from RD until close.

Other methods of picking parks for me include avoiding Epcot on weekends during F&W and skipping parks on days during special ticket events (MNSSHP).
Great tips. My birthday falls on an EMH night at MK, so I'm definitely going to stick with it that time. They're open until 12 that night and MK is my favorite park and, in my opinion, the best "birthday" park. I will definitely keep your advice in mind for our other days! Looks like I'm going to have to rewrite our plans...again...lol

WDW in Pearls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:08 PM   #3127
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

Quote:

Great tips. My birthday falls on an EMH night at MK, so I'm definitely going to stick with it that time. They're open until 12 that night and MK is my favorite park and, in my opinion, the best "birthday" park. I will definitely keep your advice in mind for our other days! Looks like I'm going to have to rewrite our plans...again...lol
Absolutely. And happy future birthday. With MK open to midnight, that is definitely the park to be. Have fun planning - that is just part of the magic.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
AirGoofy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:14 PM   #3128
kmedina
Loves all things Disney

Quote:
How do you guys choose which parks to do each day? I typically go by EMH, though I know some people use crowd calendars. Problem is, EMH days tend to have higher crowds.
I never use crowd calendars. We almost always avoid extra Magic Hours, since I do not like to hop parks. If you want to avoid crowds, stay away from EMH unless you hop in right before they start or after they end. It also helps to stay on top of special events. When MK is closing early, it tends to be less packed. When Fantasmic only airs twice a week, HS is busier on those days. When Epcot is hosting F&W or Flower and Garden, it tends to be busier. AK almost never seems too busy to me, because it does not really hold special events and is large. I almost always do AK on Saturdays for that reason.
kmedina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 07:43 PM   #3129
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

Happy Mothers Day to all the Commando Moms Hope you all got to relax today

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldy6060 View Post
Thanks! I AM staying onsite. Pop Century this time. And I have a 15 yo daughter and 12 yo son. We ARE planning an evening at DHS without her but that's just to do RnR and ToT at night. But depending on how she feels there could be a lot more times where she either goes back to the hotel or relaxes at a baby care center, restaurant, shop, etc. But there will be other times where I relax with her while I make kids do things I refuse to do like go on Mission: Space or sit through Captain EO again.
This could really turn out great for you, I wouldn't feel right leaving my wife on a bench while doing the rides, but since your kids are older maybe they can take turns staying with mom so she is not alone, and you can get in some quality Dad/Son or Dad/Daughter time in, since they are getting to that age that it's not cool to hang with the parents, plus next trip the little one will need more attention, so enjoy them as much as you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixrising View Post
I think it's amazing idea about becoming a TA!! My good news is that I've been cleared for Kiniesology and can resume normal activities (YAHOO!!!). Bad news is that according to my doc that I can only go on one wild ride a day while at the parks, then have to switch to the tamer ones for the rest of the day. So it's really making me think about what rides to go on when, and is making me plan even more for my DL trip.
1 is better then none, it's a start on the better side, now you really have to plan carefully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
We made a few changes to our October Vacation plan.
14th Fly in
15th MK ADR at BBB 830, CRT 1015
16th HS
17th AK
18th MNSSP
19th Switch Resorts Anniversary dinner
20th Sea World
21st HS ADR at H&V 1:45
22nd Universal Studio IOA
23rd EPCOT
24th Pool Day
25th MK ADR Chef Mickey 715am (Full Commando Mode)
26th Cape Canaveral and Fly home.
Looks good, the only worry I have is the BBB/CRT times being close, I don't know how long BBB takes or if they run on time, I'm sure you will be fine, but after that everything looks good
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1

Last edited by Disney Commando; 05-12-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Disney Commando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #3130
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

We're BACK!!! I had a blast but I am exhausted. Not a commando trip (I pushed my mom as hard as I could) but we had a great time and I cannot wait to tell you guys all about it!
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #3131
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2go2wdwmom View Post
Love the name of this thread---must read it! I have a zillion pics of me at WDW of my backside (unfortunately) because I am such a park commando...fav' saying at parks is, "Come on, let's get going...". So much to do so little time!
You are member #236I see you are going to BG Tampa, 3 of my favorite things that we can't miss are
- Feeding the kangaroos
- The pet show where they are shipwrecked (best pet show in all of the BG parks)
- The ice show with the grandfather and his grandson (not sure what it's called)

This year I tacked on 4 extra days, because of So much to do so little time, it's not that we don't get it all done, it's just because we want to do some things again & again

Quote:

You are member #237 Either Commando runs in your blood or you found your Mom was right ( over the years I've found myself doing things I said I would never do, but at the time of some of my parents advice I was young and thought they were trying to get me to do things their way, but as I get older I realize that they wern't as crazy as I thought they were

As far as choosing the parks for the day, This will differ with each situation (staying onsite/offsite, One park tickets/PH, ADR's etc), so there is no one answer, you do what works best for you

We always get PH's, if we are staying onsite we go to the park with the A.M EMH (sometimes we will leave around 10am and hit a park that has no EMH that day) then in the P.M we usually go to the park with the EMH, usually we get done more then we planned but the main reason we do EMH's is just to be in the park

If we stay offsite we will do the parks with no EMHs planned for that day
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 05-12-2013, 09:07 PM   #3132
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclusive2WDW View Post
We're BACK!!! I had a blast but I am exhausted. Not a commando trip (I pushed my mom as hard as I could) but we had a great time and I cannot wait to tell you guys all about it!
Welcome Back, Glad you had a great time, that's the most important thing, I can't wait to hear all about it

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 05-13-2013, 09:11 PM   #3133
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Looks good, the only worry I have is the BBB/CRT times being close, I don't know how long BBB takes or if they run on time, I'm sure you will be fine, but after that everything looks good
The CM when we booked said it takes about 45 minutes so we'll miss RD but should have time to hit a M&G in Fantasyland before CRT. I'm figuring this will be the day we do lower popularity items and go full commando the last day. On the plus side the crowd calendar is predicting super light crowds.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Twin Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:28 AM   #3134
Xclusive2WDW
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Commando View Post
Welcome Back, Glad you had a great time, that's the most important thing, I can't wait to hear all about it
And we did, we had the greatest time. We got there early Wednesday and went to DTD. I introduced my mom to "Disney World on a State Fair budget" (lookey there, I just found my TR title and I wasn't even meaning to). We went to Earl of Sandwich and walked around. Later took the boat to Olivia's, my mom's new favorite restaurant, she just loved it. Then we went and watched the nighttime water parade and Wishes from the Poly where I drank with my mom. That Lapu Lapu was great tho
They ran out of conference tickets for Universal so we decided not go at all, which at first was a toughie for my mom as she loves Universal, but she agreed it made no sense to go for the added cost.
Thursday we did AK and MK. Now, my mom kept bothering me about if we really had to do AK, because in her mind it was just a big zoo. . . well I showed her. . . and she LOVED IT! It's her new favorite park (she still loves DHS which we still call MGM, but she likes the atmosphere, shade, and rides too at AK). We went to MK where I introduced my mom to Cosmic Ray's, another winner and then surprised her with the Dessert Party
Friday was more DTD and the Boardwalk, we also had dinner at AoA (more points for me on the affordability factor).
Saturday was Epcot and DHS. We had fun and my mom was all too excited that Captain EO is back. I did not get time to explore the Flower and Garden as much as I would have liked, but my mom got to experience more rides she liked (SE, Soarin', Captain EO, LWTL). MGM was spectacular as usual and my mom and I both loved Mama Melrose's and with the Fatasmic! package it was a real bargain IMHO. Overall favorite part of Fatasmic! was Mickey saying "wait a minute, this is MY dream" Goooo MICKEY!!!

All in all it was a great trip and hopefully I will be able to load my pics and have them up by the end of the week.
Commando Member #216
Lord, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.

Xclusive2WDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:32 AM   #3135
WDW Fan since 1975
Mouseketeer

OMG! So that's what I am!!

I think I'm a commando!

I just got back from a 3 day solo trip and even though I was alone, my whole trip was planned, laid out, choreographed and mapped!

I make a schedule of where I'll be, what meals are planned, what meals are "free style", what shows I'll watch, etc. etc. etc.!

Once, a few years ago, I tried to make a list of rides to ride IN ORDER... but that doesn't work - you need to be flexible, but have a purpose and a plan.

This trip was AWESOME - I did 95% of what I wanted to do (and I'm not upset about the 5% I didn't).

I gave my list to my girlfriend, and she had fun texting me to see whether I was indeed where I planned to be... and I was!!

Your time in the parks or on vacation is just too limited - you MUST have a game plan! You MUST be a COMMANDO!

Mike.
16 Past WDW Vacations: 1: 06/1975; 2: 1978; 3: 03/1989; 4: 04/1996; 5: 05/1997; 6: 05/2009 (CBR); 7: 06/2010; 8: 09/2011 (CBR); 9: 11/2011 (POP - Solo #1 and MVMCP #1); 10: 05/2012 (Sports - Solo #2); 11: 06/2012 (Music); 12: 09/2012 (POP - Solo #3); 13: 12/2012 (POP - MVMCP #2); 14: 05/2013 (POP - Solo #4); 15: 11/2013 (Movies) and 16: 05/2014 (POP - Solo #5). MORE TO COME!!
WDW Fan since 1975 is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: