Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > disABILITIES!
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-2008, 09:58 AM   #1
jenn-n-okla
Jenn-in-Okla

Talking WDW and Portable Oxygen Concentrators

I was asked to share my experiences using a portable oxygen concentrator (POC) in the parks. My daughter, Julia, now age 6 1/2yrs has a rare lung disease named, Children's Interstitial Lung Disease or "chILD". If you want to know more about that e-mail me as if I were to tell you all about it here this would be way to long.
Last year was our first year to take the POC. The experience was great. We had the roll cart that you can get with the POC, but we also got the double strollers each day. Remember she was 5 then, and is actually the size of a very tall 3 yr old. She and the POC fit nicely in the stroller. Not sure if there would be room on the ECVs....I know they will not fit in that basket on the front....maybe between your feet, or you may have to have a member of your party push the POC while you drive the ECV.
We had the Guest Assistance Card or GAC that we obtained at the MK Guest Services desk. We used it all week at the various parks. I wish it would have been on thicker card stock as by the end of the week it was looking pretty worn out. It was great to have so she didn't have to wait in the crowed, at times hot, long lines. Endurance was a major issue as was closeness of people and their germs.
We also had the "stroller = wheelchair" sticker. That too was a major help. She was able to stay in the stroller until it was time to board most of the rides. This allowed me the freedom of not having to hold her in the lines. WOO HOO. Holding her and pushing the oxygen at times would kill my back.
She had 3 batteries to use through out the day. She is on a low flow and it was not always necessary for her to be on the oxygen. I recommend more batteries if you use a higher flow.
I took the charger along, and when we would stop for lunch or dinner I would ask a CM where a plug in was so I could recharge a battery while she ate. There is a thread on here somewhere that lists all the places for those are located.
The ease of the parks I have listed below. From easy to hardest for her.
1. MK everything is well spaced out except for FL. That is always crowded, and there were many guests who gave us nasty looks because we were allowed to keep our stroller to go through the lines.
2 Hollywood studios again most everything is well spaced.
3. Epcot....these are the days we used the most O2, because of the distances but there were plug-ins (later found that out).
4. Animal Kingdom.....too many hills. The up and downs were not so fun when she would walk with the POC herself....it would sometimes get away from her.
We stayed at POP last year. It was affordable but the room was very small and there were limited numbers of plug-ins. The walk from the room to the bus stops was long (even though we had a preferred guest room) and we didn't have strollers till we go to the parks. Also the walk and wait from the park to the busses was long. We are staying at Poly this time and I look forward to that, the lines should be shorter since we will be able to use the monorail for MK and Epcot.
I am sure there is more I am forgetting to mention. Please feel free to ask or post any tips you may have or need.
1984 OS(1st visit);1986 OS;1988 Sports;1990Sports; 1991 Sports; 1994Music;1997Sports(took infant);2000Sports;2002Sports(took infant);2004Sports;2007 PC(took child with Portable O2);2008 Poly (took child with Portable O2); 2010 Poly (9 family members went one on oxygen ) 2013 Poly (5 family members again one on oxygen)
jenn-n-okla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
fanningIII
Mouseketeer

thanks for the info

I had some great experience with my father 2 years ago when we went also. He has severe COPD and uses his neb every 3-4 hrs. We would plug in to use in most places, however the first aid stations were wonderful. This year we are taking a portable concentrator. I am more worried about the airport than disney. I am an Respiratory Therapist and am interested about how much time you got per battery. DF is on 2-3 L/M usually. So I want to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance
WL April 2005
Off Property 06
Off Property April 08
AS MUSIC January 11
ASMu Oct 13
BWI Nov 14
fanningIII is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 PM   #3
SueM in MN
It's like combining the teacups with a roller coaster

DISboards Moderator

Thanks for the report

Spaceship Earth: We are all passengers together.
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans......John Lennon
Be a rainbow in someone else's cloud. Dr. Maya Angelou
trip report link in Memory of eternaldisneyfan, who lived these words: Some people are always grumbling because roses have thorns. I am thankful that thorns have roses. Alphonse Karr
SueM in MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #4
jenn-n-okla
Jenn-in-Okla

Quote:
Originally Posted by fanningIII View Post
I had some great experience with my father 2 years ago when we went also. He has severe COPD and uses his neb every 3-4 hrs. We would plug in to use in most places, however the first aid stations were wonderful. This year we are taking a portable concentrator. I am more worried about the airport than disney. I am an Respiratory Therapist and am interested about how much time you got per battery. DF is on 2-3 L/M usually. So I want to plan accordingly. Thanks in advance
The POC says the batteries will last approximately 3 hrs each...we have an Inogen One. Julia age 5 at the time was suppose to be on 1L flow. That was fine for on the ground but once we climbed above 35thousand feet her stats dropped like a rock. I had to bump her up to 5L flow for about 30 mins or so of our 3hr flight. By the time we landed she had used all 3 of our batteries. I am seriously thinking of getting one more to have "just in case". Keep in mind she is only 6yrs old now and not really able to judge what she needs. I relied on her pulse ox readings. I also made her wear it when there were times she really might not have HAD to have it on.
Before you fly make sure you have the doctor's paper filled out. Most of the airlines have the form on their website. You also have to inform the airline like 30days in advance you will be using one so the pilot and crew know. Plan on having all the paperwork with you when you go through the security checkpoints. Have all zippers open and be ready to show them what is inside. Maybe it was because she was a child but to be honest my mother with her metal replaced knees was more hassle at the checkpoints were than my daughter was.
Most of the airport people were very patient and nice to my daughter.
We did find plug-ins in the airport and used those for power while we were waiting for boarding( had to hunt for them and ask a man to let us use it instead of him using it for his laptop). We also chose to board LAST and not first to conserve the batteries.
1984 OS(1st visit);1986 OS;1988 Sports;1990Sports; 1991 Sports; 1994Music;1997Sports(took infant);2000Sports;2002Sports(took infant);2004Sports;2007 PC(took child with Portable O2);2008 Poly (took child with Portable O2); 2010 Poly (9 family members went one on oxygen ) 2013 Poly (5 family members again one on oxygen)
Old 02-29-2008, 04:13 PM   #5
fanningIII
Mouseketeer

Thanks for the info. It is also a great tip to board last. I was not aware of the paperwork for the concentrator. I will make sure I share that with my patients who also use them. Sometimes it is difficult to get the info. I know getting through security will be interesting(NEB, O2, Scoote, MEDS) and mom has a CPAP. Oh well we will just get there early with all of our paperwork in hand.
WL April 2005
Off Property 06
Off Property April 08
AS MUSIC January 11
ASMu Oct 13
BWI Nov 14
fanningIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
AlishaNeil
Earning My Ears

Which Portable oxygen concentrator

Which make do you use?
I have recentley been recomended a company Intermedical that sell 4 different types, but i dont know which one would be best for my mum. I was thinking of getting a really small AirSep concentrator that she could carry but i suppose the battery would keep running out?
AlishaNeil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #7
jenn-n-okla
Jenn-in-Okla

We used an Inogen One model. I just made sure I had the plug in to charge the batteries during lunch times if we needed to. Which ever one you get make sure you get the rolling cart they sell with it. Carrying those things get really heavy. And get a GAC and a wheelchair too.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #8
jenn-n-okla
Jenn-in-Okla

POC again in the parks

My daughter has a new and improved Inogen One G3 that she will be using for our upcoming trip. I love the new one as it can be worn just like a small purse. It has provided her with much more freedom.
I'll try to have a report when we get back.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #9
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn-n-okla View Post
My daughter has a new and improved Inogen One G3 that she will be using for our upcoming trip. I love the new one as it can be worn just like a small purse. It has provided her with much more freedom.
I'll try to have a report when we get back.
Enjoy

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
Irishdo
Earning My Ears

We are traveling in Sept. and my parents will be joining us. My mother is on O2 after too many years of cigarettes..ugh. Anyway, on a daily basis she uses a portable concentrator at work and has a larger one at home. She uses tanks though if she is out and about, tucked in her Vera Bradley bags. I have finally convinced her that she is getting an ECV opposed to someone pushing her in a wheelchair but she can be quite the creature of habit and stubborn. Would you recommend the concentrator for the parks as opposed to tanks? Because I am pretty sure she will fight that idea.
Irishdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
jenn-n-okla
Jenn-in-Okla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishdo View Post
We are traveling in Sept. and my parents will be joining us. My mother is on O2 after too many years of cigarettes..ugh. Anyway, on a daily basis she uses a portable concentrator at work and has a larger one at home. She uses tanks though if she is out and about, tucked in her Vera Bradley bags. I have finally convinced her that she is getting an ECV opposed to someone pushing her in a wheelchair but she can be quite the creature of habit and stubborn. Would you recommend the concentrator for the parks as opposed to tanks? Because I am pretty sure she will fight that idea.
I would go with the POC. Make sure you have at least one extra charged battery. You can put the POC in the EVC basket.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 09-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #12
MrsBusDriver
Earning My Ears

I know this answer may be a bit late but if you haven't your mother a POC yet please do so. I am on oxygen 24/7, my insurance wouldn't pay for a POC only tanks. It was such a relief to finally get a POC. If you mother can do a pulse flow she can get one that she can wear over the shoulder. Now I can go out and about for 8 hours or more on one battery. They can charge in the car so the batter lasts longer. The freedom I have with it is wonderful. I used to have to carry extra tanks if I wanted to be out more then 1 and a half hours. My POC weighs 8 pounds because I got the bigger battery with the smaller one it weighs 5 pounds.
Old 09-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #13
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

1. I have a POC and it easily fits in the basket of my ECV.

2. When I fly I will just grab the basket when I gate-check my ECV, so it has both the POC and spare battery and charger all in it.

3. Most commercial aircraft maintain a cabin altitude of 6,000 feet no matter that altitude (above 6,000 they are flying.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2013, 09:27 AM   #14
MrsBusDriver
Earning My Ears

For those on POC's I would like to hear about your ride experiences. I can go off my oxygen for short periods so was thinking I could do some of the thrill rides but has anyone done this? Could you do star tours with your concentrator or would I have to leave it with the EVC? Would really like to hear your thoughts and no I am not asking you to make medical advice, just want to know your experiences and thoughts. Finding good information on POC's can be difficult, even the woman who delivered my first equipment gave me misinformation, fortunately I did my own research and looked up my equipment online. But it is very hard to find practical information about day to day things let alone going on vacations. So what difficulties/successes have you had at the world on different rides. Has anyone used the boats (Disney transportation) to get around with a POC and EVC? How was it?
Old 10-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #15
cm8
Half of the time we're rushing around to get things done last minute or we realize we're running behind so we need to catch up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsBusDriver View Post
For those on POC's I would like to hear about your ride experiences. I can go off my oxygen for short periods so was thinking I could do some of the thrill rides but has anyone done this? Could you do star tours with your concentrator or would I have to leave it with the EVC? Would really like to hear your thoughts and no I am not asking you to make medical advice, just want to know your experiences and thoughts. Finding good information on POC's can be difficult, even the woman who delivered my first equipment gave me misinformation, fortunately I did my own research and looked up my equipment online. But it is very hard to find practical information about day to day things let alone going on vacations. So what difficulties/successes have you had at the world on different rides. Has anyone used the boats (Disney transportation) to get around with a POC and EVC? How was it?

Hi ::, I have toured the parks having used both a POC and m6's. The M6's were a pain to tote around( no ECV or wheel chair). I finally switched over to using my POC during the times I knew I wanted to be able to ride. The only issue I had using my O2 was at RNRC. I was not able to ride with the cylinders.
I have not attempted to ride RNRC since using my POC, but I'm not sure they will not allow for it to be used as it could become a projectile during the ride. I have 2 different models, 1 is small enough to wear as a sling bag and mini backpack and it too weights 5lbs with the internal battery and 8 with one of the spare battery. This is the one I use while touring the parks. I have not had any issues maintaining full control over my POC while riding. I'm sure that you will have no issues riding any boat ( except Flagship) using your POC and ECV. Good luck and I hope you have a blast!

"I have placed the Lord ever before me. Because He is at my right hand, I will not be shaken." Psalm 16:8

cm8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: