Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > W.I.S.H > Events/Competition
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 02:20 PM   #886
fashionista311
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by swimfly View Post
I think you are misinterpreting the magic mile and Galloway calculator. I can run a 630 mm but there's no way I can maintain this pace for even a 5k. MM is max effort and an average of 4 TTs. I think you would be suprised how accurate of a predictor it has been for those who use the Galloway method through their entire training process. Plugging in a guestimate won't work. I've actually dropped my 1/2, full, and goofy times significantly using this method. My 5 & 10k times not so much. I race the way I train. Each runner has to do what works for them. There are so many options available which is fabulous for the running community.
I do alot of speedwork, so generally I have an idea of what I can do. I'm much more of an endurance runner than a speed runner, so I don't really lose a ton of speed across distances(relatively - obviously my 5K is faster than my marathon, but still) Finding leg speed is what I struggle with, and none of my shorter races ever accurately predict my longer distance races. I think I'll run a sub 4 marathon before I'll run a sub 25 5k
Old 05-11-2013, 02:37 PM   #887
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figment1990 View Post
I second this question....
I third this question.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #888
TMcDwyer
The true magic of Disney is experiencing it through the eyes of your children.

My family got me Entry into the Glass Slipper Challenge for Mother's Day! I am out of this world excited!!!!!

I went Coast-to-Coast in 2012!!! Princess 1/2 & Disneyland 1/2!!! Doing it again in 2014 - Tinkerbell & Princess!!! Hoping to go Dopey & Dumbo in 2015!!!
Disney Trips: Too many to count as a kid; Grand Floridian 1998; Off Site 2002; DL in 2003 & 2004; First trip as a Mom in December 2009; Disney Halloween 5K in 2011 (POFQ); 2012 Princess 1/2 (AKLKV); DL 1/2 in 2012 (PP); 2012 Family Trip to POR; 2013 AofA; 10/2013 CB for the TofT 10 Miler; 2014 Tink & Glass Slipper Challenge!!! Also...had the BEST TRIP ever to The Wizarding World of Harry Potter in 2010 with my Mom! My Dream Trip ~ Tokyo Disneyland!
Old 05-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #889
swimfly
Mouseketeer

While at Disney swapping out our APs for the new RFID card, I was told early registration for AP would be 6/4 with Disney Visa the following day. If you have the new RFID AP card, you have to call to register. You can't register the new cards on the passholder landing site.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #890
DVCFan1994
Mouseketeer

Quote:
While at Disney swapping out our APs for the new RFID card, I was told early registration for AP would be 6/4 with Disney Visa the following day. If you have the new RFID AP card, you have to call to register. You can't register the new cards on the passholder landing site.
Did they happen to mention anything about DVC members getting early registration? I have an RFID AP and I'm afraid I'll have trouble getting through on the phone. I'd like to try DVC online, that would get me a $10 discount too, but since I tend to have trouble with the DVC website stalling I could be dialing or on hold with the annual pass holder phone line at the same time. Also do you know if they only have so many slots for early registration? Or Is it possible it will sell out then? I'm sorry worried about not being able to register and its still weeks away. I can only imagine my nerves 24 hours before
Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #891
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fashionista311 View Post
I do alot of speedwork, so generally I have an idea of what I can do. I'm much more of an endurance runner than a speed runner, so I don't really lose a ton of speed across distances(relatively - obviously my 5K is faster than my marathon, but still) Finding leg speed is what I struggle with, and none of my shorter races ever accurately predict my longer distance races. I think I'll run a sub 4 marathon before I'll run a sub 25 5k
I'm a bit confused by your response. The MM would be all out effort. If you're doing speedwork, your 200, 400, 800 or 1600 pace would certainly be faster than your LD pace. This is confusing me. Galloway roughly adds 2mins/mile to your MM time to calculate average pace/mile LD when you add in the walk break. This is a predictive value not an absolute.

I'd love a sub-4 marathon but first I have to break through the darn 2 hour 1/2 barrier. Grrr..... this fall.... I'm on it!
Old 05-11-2013, 07:33 PM   #892
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcDwyer View Post
My family got me Entry into the Glass Slipper Challenge for Mother's Day! I am out of this world excited!!!!!
Woohoo! Welcome! I can't wait to see the GSC medal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCFan1994 View Post
Did they happen to mention anything about DVC members getting early registration? I have an RFID AP and I'm afraid I'll have trouble getting through on the phone. I'd like to try DVC online, that would get me a $10 discount too, but since I tend to have trouble with the DVC website stalling I could be dialing or on hold with the annual pass holder phone line at the same time. Also do you know if they only have so many slots for early registration? Or Is it possible it will sell out then? I'm sorry worried about not being able to register and its still weeks away. I can only imagine my nerves 24 hours before
For the January marathon weekend registration, DVC and annual passholder registration opened the same day. There are limiting the # of early registrations. I too am going to be freaked out. I demanded to speak to 2 people before I was even willing to update my new card. I'm hopeful that if I can't get through on the phone line one of my friends who also has AP will share the link. FYI... I was told that if you're booking your travel over the phone you can add the race registration and avoid the active.com fees. I was told this after complaining about my crazy fees signing up for the Dopey.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:13 PM   #893
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
I have a question that is similar to this (kind of the same). I have been gradually upping my mileage once a week, so I run 2-3 times a week a shorter run around 3-4 miles and some speed work. Then I do a longer run on the weekend. (longest so far was 6.2)

So, my question is, do I just keep going up? I would be half marathon ready before the end of the summer if I do that and I'm not sure I want to push it, I just want to build my base mileage. BUT, if I start a program in the fall, almost all the training I have found is going to have me going back to running 2 miles for the first couple weeks? I'm not sure I can do that!

So do I do two half trainings back-to-back or what? Right now I'm just working on getting a really solid 10K time but not sure where to go after that or if I should just keep running all summer to get strong before I add more mileage??

If that was confusing, sorry!

Thanks Jo! I'm pretty over the moon about it, I have races lined up for almost every month until then! 5K tomorrow morning!
I didn't see if anyone answered this, but you can find training plans that will start you out at 3-4 mile short runs. Or, just maintain what you're doing, and start training at the point in the training plan you've selected where it matches what you're already doing. Just because the plan is made to get you half-marathon ready in X # weeks doesn't mean you have to follow it to a T, you know? The first half of a lot of plans is just getting you to build your endurance, and if you've already built it, it's not necessary to go back to the basics.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 PM   #894
fitmama2e
I Run for Bling

Quote:
Does it work for Disneyland AP holders too? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of them on this.

Scheduled Races:
Nike Half SF, Diva Socal, Tinker Bell (1/2 & 10k), and GSC!
Old 05-12-2013, 04:53 AM   #895
Twoboysnmygirl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by afnaechiquita View Post
I didn't see if anyone answered this, but you can find training plans that will start you out at 3-4 mile short runs. Or, just maintain what you're doing, and start training at the point in the training plan you've selected where it matches what you're already doing. Just because the plan is made to get you half-marathon ready in X # weeks doesn't mean you have to follow it to a T, you know? The first half of a lot of plans is just getting you to build your endurance, and if you've already built it, it's not necessary to go back to the basics.
Thank you! That's what I thought, but it made me feel like I will just be running with no plan for quite a while...which is probably a good thing anyway!
Old 05-12-2013, 07:52 AM   #896
IleneF
The brave may not live forever, but the cautious do not live all / Princess Diaries.................. All our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them / Walt Disney

Happy Mothers Day! Gym report: 10K in 89min = personal best! What does PR mean. Also first time trying Nike+ app - pretty cool. Have to resort to something other than my iphone because the battery poops out

Old 05-12-2013, 08:18 AM   #897
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoboysnmygirl View Post
Thank you! That's what I thought, but it made me feel like I will just be running with no plan for quite a while...which is probably a good thing anyway!
Yes! It sounds like you've gotten yourself up to a good enough maintenance run that you don't necessarily need a plan just yet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IleneF View Post
Happy Mothers Day! Gym report: 10K in 89min = personal best! What does PR mean. Also first time trying Nike+ app - pretty cool. Have to resort to something other than my iphone because the battery poops out
Congratulations! PR = personal record, same as personal best.

Re: your iphone, do you close all your apps? (double click the home button, all your open apps pop up on the bottom and you can press+hold them and close them out) It helps battery life to keep them closed, and won't affect your pop-up notifications.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 AM   #898
swimfly
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitmama2e

Does it work for Disneyland AP holders too? I can't seem to get a straight answer out of them on this.
Total guess based on the WDW January weekend but DL AP had early registration then and WDW AP had early registration for DL weekend.

Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #899
cantwaitvaca09
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMcDwyer View Post
How?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #900
SuperHappyFunTimes
RunDisney Races coming up: Wine & Dine, Glass Slipper Challenge, Tink

Ugh I hate waiting so much! So far the best info I've gotten on the early registration has been here, so thanks! I'm planning on signing up for the Glass Slipper Challenge and Tink and I can't believe how hyper I am about registration... Come on June 4th!

Since last Princess, I've switched to straight running without walk intervals. I've gotten my long run back up to the 10k distance and I really want to do a "real" 10k race soon to get a better corral placement, but I can't find anything local anytime soon. Race season here is November through April and other than an annual July 4th 5k, there is nothing available without driving to Jax or Orlando. Anyone else having a hard time finding a 10k this time of year?
Closed Thread

Tags
princess

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: