Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #31
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Location: NJ but born and bred in NYC....still teach there, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolDisneyKitten View Post
We did a split stay in May 08, and at first I was really apprehensive for the exact reasons your hubbie is worried.

Lemme tell you: Disney knows their business! We checked out of SSR and had bell services move our luggage to OKW (we didn't have a car). Later, when we checked in at OKW, our luggage was in the room waiting for us. No big deal. Easy peasy.

You can check out of one first thing, have bell services take your luggage, hit a park, and check in at the new place either online from the park (you could use your phone, yeah?) or later that evening after you're all parked out.

Seriously. I'd do it again, and I hate moving. That's how easy they made it.
Thanks! I will def. read your reply to my husband! I think he is becoming more open to this -- now that he sees that people have done it and would recommend doing it again (or, even better, HAVE done it again!). :-) Dana
Daycogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:32 AM   #32
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Smile 4 stays...wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masonmj84 View Post
We recently did a split stay at Poly and BC over 8 nights and loved it. We felt like we actually GAINED time because we were generally closer to the parks and restaurants we planned to visit on a given day (only had to use the buses on our AK day). Plus we got to experience two different resorts (like two vacations in one).

In fact, we liked it so much that I'm planning another split stay at 4 resorts over 12 nights. Originally, I was going to just do a 2 way "lodge themed" split at WL and AKL because I really want to experience those resorts. But I couldn't bring myself to give up the ambiance (and Monorail access) of the Poly and the location of BC for visiting EP and HS. So the current plan is 3 nights at each of WL, Poly, AKL, and BC.
I am loving your plan! I also love the AKL but feel that it is too far away from the Magic Kingdom (my son just turned 6 and the MK is his favorite park). I would love to stay there -- it is so gorgeous. You will definitely have to update me about this 4 stays in 1 vacation. It seems adventurous and a whole lot of fun! :-) Dana
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 09:36 AM   #33
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycogs View Post
We are going for 8 days. I was thinking I would have to book 2 reservations. First ressie (Poly) from 23-26, with a meal plan and PHs for the 23, 24, 25th. Second ressie (WL), take a dining plan and PHs for 26, 27, 28, 29, 30. If I buy only the one day tix for the second ressie, wouldn't I only be eligible for dining for one day? Very confused!
The DDP goes by the number of nights you stay, not by park tickets. As long as you buy the minimum required (1 day base when paying for the DDP and a 2 day base for free dining), you will get DDP credits according to the number of nights you stay. For 8 nights, each person will get 8 TS, 8 CS, and 8 snacks for the trip (assuming you are going with the DDP and not QSDP or DlxDDP). So, in order to get the DDP for the whole trip, I would book the Poly with 6 day PHs + DDP and the WL with 1 day base tickets + DDP and save the 1 day base tickets for a future trip. Some people have suggested having that 1 day ticket taken off of the second KTTW card and transferred to a paper ticket so you don't accidentally use that ticket when entering the parks, since you will need that KTTW card for dining. HTH .

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:55 AM   #34
osugal
Mouseketeer

I like unpacking, getting settled in, and knowing i don't have to pack up until we leave. I don't want to go through all of that and move out midway through my vacation. I just don't think I'd be able to kick back and enjoy myself as much. I've considered it before but always decided against it.
osugal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #35
robinb
DIS Veteran

We do split stays, but I don't like them very much. Packing and moving takes too much time out of my day and I like to have a place to relax in the afternoon. Your resort may not be ready for you when you check in during such a busy time and you may end up "homeless" for much of the day.
Old 05-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #36
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
This year my 6 y/o and my husband want to stay at the Poly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
If you usually stay at the WL, wouldn't a compromise be staying at the resort everyone else wants to stay at this time?
Quote:
I do not believe that would be a compromise. My husband also wants to stay at the WL but wants to try the Poly. I suggested trying both to "satisfy" everyone. Thanks.

I will say I don't like split stays.

Last edited by Bob NC; 05-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:27 PM   #37
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeynut1

The DDP goes by the number of nights you stay, not by park tickets. As long as you buy the minimum required (1 day base when paying for the DDP and a 2 day base for free dining), you will get DDP credits according to the number of nights you stay. For 8 nights, each person will get 8 TS, 8 CS, and 8 snacks for the trip (assuming you are going with the DDP and not QSDP or DlxDDP). So, in order to get the DDP for the whole trip, I would book the Poly with 6 day PHs + DDP and the WL with 1 day base tickets + DDP and save the 1 day base tickets for a future trip. Some people have suggested having that 1 day ticket taken off of the second KTTW card and transferred to a paper ticket so you don't accidentally use that ticket when entering the parks, since you will need that KTTW card for dining. HTH .
We are staying for 8 days and will be staying at the Poly for 3 nights/checking out on the 4th day. There is never a free dining option when we go! :-( Since I'm going to be issued two separate reservation numbers, the dining plan will only be for the dates per reservation. We get deluxe when we go. So ressie 1, it would be a 3 day PH with deluxe dining. So ressie 2, 5 day PH with deluxe dining. This is what Disney recommended when I called.....?!?!
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 PM   #38
Karebear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are staying for 8 days and will be staying at the Poly for 3 nights/checking out on the 4th day. There is never a free dining option when we go! :-( Since I'm going to be issued two separate reservation numbers, the dining plan will only be for the dates per reservation. We get deluxe when we go. So ressie 1, it would be a 3 day PH with deluxe dining. So ressie 2, 5 day PH with deluxe dining. This is what Disney recommended when I called.....?!?!
Buying 2 sets of park tickets can be very expensive. You could buy 8 days of park tickets on your first reservation that you will be able to use on your second reservation too. You would only be able to get the dining plan on your first reservation with the tickets. Could you pay for meals oop for your second reservation? Any money that you save with purchasing the dining plan would probably be "lost" in having to purchase 2 sets of tickets. Unless you could save a set of tickets for a later trip?

Karebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:00 AM   #39
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karebear

Buying 2 sets of park tickets can be very expensive. You could buy 8 days of park tickets on your first reservation that you will be able to use on your second reservation too. You would only be able to get the dining plan on your first reservation with the tickets. Could you pay for meals oop for your second reservation? Any money that you save with purchasing the dining plan would probably be "lost" in having to purchase 2 sets of tickets. Unless you could save a set of tickets for a later trip?
Wouldn't it be the same price - 8 day PH tix under one reservation vs. 3 day PH and then 5 day PH tix?
Old 05-12-2013, 12:24 AM   #40
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wouldn't it be the same price - 8 day PH tix under one reservation vs. 3 day PH and then 5 day PH tix?
No it wouldn't. Price per day decreases the longer you stay. 8 day tickets are way cheaper than a 3 day ticket and a 5 day ticket.

Previous Trips:
September 2010: Caribbean Beach
May 2011: Coronado Springs
December 2011: Pop Century
Next Trip:
December 2013: Port Orleans French Quarter Pre-Trip Report
lizzi6692 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:37 AM   #41
ppony
Artist in residence

We do it all the time! It's fun to look forward to the new resort mid-stay. It's a way to try new places w/o abandoning favorites. Most of the time, it's a split between 2 resorts, but we've done triple splits twice. We plan our parks based on where we're staying often. I'm never losing time. They move your luggage (we moved our own prior to them doing that for us and it was still OK w/ a car), we never unpack anyway, we just go from the resort, to the parks and then to the new resort after that. Just as we would if we were returning to the original resort. I'm the one that does the check-in so the DH and kids go have fun as I take care of that business and we're happy clams. It's really a GREAT way to satisfy curiosity and add some zest to your stay.

Last edited by ppony; 05-12-2013 at 12:55 AM.
ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #42
Karebear
Mouseketeer

Quote:
An 8 day ph ticket costs $378
A 3 day ph ticket costs $318 and a 5 day one costs $346

Karebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM   #43
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppony
We do it all the time! It's fun to look forward to the new resort mid-stay. It's a way to try new places w/o abandoning favorites. Most of the time, it's a split between 2 resorts, but we've done triple splits twice. We plan our parks based on where we're staying often. I'm never losing time. They move your luggage (we moved our own prior to them doing that for us and it was still OK w/ a car), we never unpack anyway, we just go from the resort, to the parks and then to the new resort after that. Just as we would if we were returning to the original resort. I'm the one that does the check-in so the DH and kids go have fun as I take care of that business and we're happy clams. It's really a GREAT way to satisfy curiosity and add some zest to your stay.
Thank you! I would be the one checking in, too. I am hoping it will go smoothly and everyone is happy!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:00 AM   #44
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizzi6692

No it wouldn't. Price per day decreases the longer you stay. 8 day tickets are way cheaper than a 3 day ticket and a 5 day ticket.
You know, I did know that, but I think I blocked that info out so it would work to my advantage!!!! Thank you!! :-)
Old 05-12-2013, 09:04 AM   #45
Cbowman
GrowingUpGoofy

We are doing a split stay in December. There are 5 adults and 3 children. It might be hectic but we normally go to Disneyland, not WDW, and we wanted to experience as much as possible. I can't see losing a day. We plan to check-out, drop our bags off, and head to the park. They'll text you when your room is ready.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: