Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-02-2013, 10:58 PM   #796
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieDiva View Post
I'm excited to go thru the Strait of Messina (between the toe of Italy and Sicily). I'm contemplating bringing a tripod just for this...
Yes! I regret not having one last time. I wouldn't have brought it out with me but wish I had it on deck. Can't wait to see your report. I am contemplating the med in 2014 again... I will live vicariously through you until then!

pixie08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:37 PM   #797
MrsScooby
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I don't spend any time over on cruise critic's boards, but RomeinLimo posted a link to this TR on their FB page. It's not on Disney, but it covers many of the ports and is a good, interesting, informative read with good pics:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showt...ighlight=magic
This is great
We have Rome in Limo booked for Florence, Rome and Naples and now have a better idea what to expect

Quote:
When I was on the obsessive hunt for a new camera bag? Wouldn't you know that Pacsafe finally decided to make an official bag for DSLRs? Actually, they made a few types in differing sizes, and the one I ordered is already out of stock. I had to get it off Zappos when Amazon failed to fulfill the order after a MONTH:

http://pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_ro...=detail&id=216

It's fabulous. I can fit EVERYTHING in there, iPad included, and it feels lighter than the Clikelite bag (which I sold back to B&H). Used it the other day and am very happy with my decision to completely change my mind and spend a few more $$ on this bag.
Looks great
Going to get one too
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-04-2013, 10:13 AM   #798
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Ok, so we're at a little less than a month and a half. Can't believe it. People are starting to get their cruise docs. I expect mine today since DCL told us they were mailed 4/30. Have made all our magnets. Kim has made embarcation shirts. Just starting to put things we dont use every day aside. Oh yes and in the mix painting the kitchen and bathrooms.

many WDW trips before 1998
WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
mindelmouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 11:16 PM   #799
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixie08 View Post
Yes! I regret not having one last time. I wouldn't have brought it out with me but wish I had it on deck. Can't wait to see your report. I am contemplating the med in 2014 again... I will live vicariously through you until then!
I see in your siggie you're about to take a vacation....cruise or WDW?

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
"Dreamy" 15th Anniversary TR!:
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3004870
MinnieDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:41 AM   #800
texasgirl29
Mouseketeer

It took several sittings but I finally finished reading through the entire pre-trip report. We are a three-generation family sailing in August 2013. I obsessed over the three days in Barcelona, then turned my obsessiveness to Italy. Then I saw y'all got your tickets to Sagrada Familia and I remembered I need to return my obsessiveness back to Spain.

I started a pre-trip report but it's not nearly so chatty as yours. I'm expecting my Keens in today. I'm a little (OK, a lot) worried about foot comfort. And heat. We really couldn't fit in the cruise before August because of camps and volunteer stuff so I'm hoping it will be OK -- we live in Texas, so we are used to it. As my 13 year old said, "Mom, it's going to be hot whether we are there or here."

Keep posting.... and I'll keep reading....

JoAnn
Island Princess July 2011 - Alaska
Disney Fantasy June 2012 - Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic August 2013 - Mediterranean

Magic in the Mediterranean trip report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3161128
texasgirl29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #801
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post
It took several sittings but I finally finished reading through the entire pre-trip report. We are a three-generation family sailing in August 2013. I obsessed over the three days in Barcelona, then turned my obsessiveness to Italy. Then I saw y'all got your tickets to Sagrada Familia and I remembered I need to return my obsessiveness back to Spain.

I started a pre-trip report but it's not nearly so chatty as yours. I'm expecting my Keens in today. I'm a little (OK, a lot) worried about foot comfort. And heat. We really couldn't fit in the cruise before August because of camps and volunteer stuff so I'm hoping it will be OK -- we live in Texas, so we are used to it. As my 13 year old said, "Mom, it's going to be hot whether we are there or here."

JoAnn
Hey Joann

Welcome! We went in August last time. It was hot but we mustered through. You'll be fine. Our kids melted at the Vatican but ultimately survived. We're hoping this time we get a little cooler weather. There's a lot to do in Barcelona. As you can see by the postings, kim is the planner and I'm the tag a long. So much better than my last Med cruise when I hadn't met Kim yet and had to plan everything myself. .

WDW - Oct 2000 - offsite, WDW August 2002 - All star music resort, ,WDW Port Orleans, WDW May 2006 Old Key West, WDW Nov 2007 offsite, DCL Magic 11/1/08, MNSSHP 10/31/09, DCL Magic in the Med 8/18/2010, Wonder to Alaska 8/23/2011, NYC to nowhere 6/15/2012, NYC to Bahamas 8/25/2012, 9/30/2012 Dream Cruise, Magic to Greece 6/15/2013, Disneyland Nov 2013, Fantasy Eastern Caribbean 8/23/2014
Old 05-07-2013, 10:41 AM   #802
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I see in your siggie you're about to take a vacation....cruise or WDW?
This time WDW. We are going for F&G/SWW/ Monstrous 24 day. Our last cruise was Alaska, so that's why I am itching for one.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:42 AM   #803
pixie08
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindelmouse View Post
Hey Joann

Welcome! We went in August last time. It was hot but we mustered through. You'll be fine. Our kids melted at the Vatican but ultimately survived. We're hoping this time we get a little cooler weather. There's a lot to do in Barcelona. As you can see by the postings, kim is the planner and I'm the tag a long. So much better than my last Med cruise when I hadn't met Kim yet and had to plan everything myself. .
Hot is an understatement, it was August though and to be expected I guess. Be prepared is the best advice

Have lots of water on hand and do not over-exert yourself.

Old 05-07-2013, 11:00 PM   #804
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl29 View Post

JoAnn
Welcome to the insanity! If you can survive July in TX, you'll survive the Med! You won't have the humidity that you're used to....that'll help a lot!

Back to the Med 2013 Greece Itinerary. We're back!!http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2871334
Old 05-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #805
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

32 days...

Until we leave. 35 until we sail. i'm in the"OMGIHAVEN'TBEGANTOPACKANYTHING" mode . My spare room (where I place all that needs to be packed) is completely trashed. I decided to paint my daughter's room and guess where all the stuff went? Yup. If I manage to pry myself away from the computer here soon and start my day, finishing the last bit of painting is on my list of to-do's. The hubby can replace the baseboards tomorrow and then we can get this show back on track.

I whipped up a pirate night shirt for my dad this week . It got sent off yesterday and as soon as I get a reading from him on its fit, I can finish the last bloody embarkation day shirt. I never want to see that fabric again. (not really, but wow was that a big project). I cannot WAIT to see the really cool pics!

I'm contemplating (GULP) the CD from Shutters. DD needs new shoes. And my staffing at work just blew up...worst week ever...to the point where I get to work tomorrow. Sigh.

Have a great weekend everyone and happy mother's day to all the moms...

Old 05-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #806
drlaurafsu
Mouseketeer

Poor MinnieDiva. Sounds like a stressful home and work situation. Get through the next couple of days and make packing lists on the computer as your starting to pack until you finish the home projects. At least you can make progress...and not stress about where to put it.

We have much house stress too...thank goodness work is ok right now. I too have something I need to work on that is due at 8:30 Monday morning but I'm trying to enjoy today for a bit.

Soon its vacation time! And you can sit back and relax for a couple of weeks!
drlaurafsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:46 PM   #807
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

Quote:
Until we leave. 35 until we sail. i'm in the"OMGIHAVEN'TBEGANTOPACKANYTHING" mode . My spare room (where I place all that needs to be packed) is completely trashed. I decided to paint my daughter's room and guess where all the stuff went? Yup. If I manage to pry myself away from the computer here soon and start my day, finishing the last bit of painting is on my list of to-do's. The hubby can replace the baseboards tomorrow and then we can get this show back on track.

I whipped up a pirate night shirt for my dad this week . It got sent off yesterday and as soon as I get a reading from him on its fit, I can finish the last bloody embarkation day shirt. I never want to see that fabric again. (not really, but wow was that a big project). I cannot WAIT to see the really cool pics!

I'm contemplating (GULP) the CD from Shutters. DD needs new shoes. And my staffing at work just blew up...worst week ever...to the point where I get to work tomorrow. Sigh.

Have a great weekend everyone and happy mother's day to all the moms...
Stop the stressing. I dont have a free wkd between now and when we leave. Not to mention I havent tried any of my clothes on. So less luggage for me. Lol. Stop the stressing and obssessing you'll be fine. It will get done. Its vacation. If you have time would love a pirate shirt. ))))))

Old 05-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #808
MinnieDiva
Obsessive Trip Planner

Quote:

Stop the stressing. I dont have a free wkd between now and when we leave. Not to mention I havent tried any of my clothes on. So less luggage for me. Lol. Stop the stressing and obssessing you'll be fine. It will get done. Its vacation. If you have time would love a pirate shirt. ))))))
Yeah. Don't see that happening....but I'll keep it in mind. Lol.

Old 05-24-2013, 05:45 AM   #809
mindelmouse
Rabid Disnoid's Spouse

So we've been relatively quiet of late.. but we actually are leaving 3 weeks from yesterday, Kim is leaving home the day before. Funny part is that her final flight to Europe leaves NYC, I hour before my flight leaves from Philly. Funny how things work out.

So much done and so much still to do. This week should bring printing a couple of magnets, printing pirate T shirts from a design I had my favorite designer create, and then going through clothes. This will be particularly painful for me since I never lost the 20lbs I said I needed to ...I really tried...this past week was a disaster...had a work seminar for 3 days, went to NYC, and had my 15th wedding anniversary. Guess it's water and diet food for the rest of the time and exercising my butt off should help as well.

This week will bring, booking tickets to climb the Tower of Pisa too. We need to get Euros as well. This is becoming challenging since everyone wants to rip you off on the exchange rate and charge a fee. We're still weighing all our options to figure out what's the most economical way. We need at leave 2,300 EUR so we're not talking chump change. Right now it's still between actual cash and the AAA debit card. We checked out Travelex because we were in the mall last night and they want 1.46.... The actual rate is 1.29...so now I'm thinking the AAA debit card may be cheaper even with ATM fees. I can't afford to pay $400 extra for Euro's. DH isn't working and this trip is stretching the budget as it it. I'll let you know what we decide. More research will be done today.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:20 AM   #810
OrangeCountyCommuter
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So we've been relatively quiet of late.. but we actually are leaving 3 weeks from yesterday, Kim is leaving home the day before. Funny part is that her final flight to Europe leaves NYC, I hour before my flight leaves from Philly. Funny how things work out.

So much done and so much still to do. This week should bring printing a couple of magnets, printing pirate T shirts from a design I had my favorite designer create, and then going through clothes. This will be particularly painful for me since I never lost the 20lbs I said I needed to ...I really tried...this past week was a disaster...had a work seminar for 3 days, went to NYC, and had my 15th wedding anniversary. Guess it's water and diet food for the rest of the time and exercising my butt off should help as well.

This week will bring, booking tickets to climb the Tower of Pisa too. We need to get Euros as well. This is becoming challenging since everyone wants to rip you off on the exchange rate and charge a fee. We're still weighing all our options to figure out what's the most economical way. We need at leave 2,300 EUR so we're not talking chump change. Right now it's still between actual cash and the AAA debit card. We checked out Travelex because we were in the mall last night and they want 1.46.... The actual rate is 1.29...so now I'm thinking the AAA debit card may be cheaper even with ATM fees. I can't afford to pay $400 extra for Euro's. DH isn't working and this trip is stretching the budget as it it. I'll let you know what we decide. More research will be done today.
On the Euros. Is this for an apartment? Do you have to have it all at once?

Generally your BEST rate (which is close to that 1.29 you see) is an ATM. I have NEVER had a bank in Europe charge me an ATM fee so what you need to find out is what your bank charges. The AAA card had some other extra fees that would add up from what I recall. Plus the foreign conversion fee is around 3%. With my bank my foreign conversion fee is 1%. With that much money it can add up quickly.

As for actual cash... What happens if you loose 2,300 Euros? (I can tell you it would not be a good moment in my life! ) I say this as the person who dealt with the loss of $10,000 in Travelers Checks. And they were lost basically at the arrival airport! (At least they were traveler's checks and I actually wasn't the guilty party who lost them ) It's very risky to travel with that kind of money and I have read other stories of loss/theft at the airport. I think it's because you are exhausted, disoriented etc... and you either get confused or are just an "easy mark"
OrangeCountyCommuter is offline   Reply With Quote

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: