Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Old 05-11-2013, 12:28 AM   #2941
Mommy to Kayla
Mouseketeer
 
Mommy to Kayla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Seattle
Posts: 111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella View Post
Back from our 1st POLY stay. Poly is really nice. We had a lagoon view in Tahiti 1st floor as I had requested. Beautiful view of all those magical Disney icons, the Castle, the Monorail and the ferry boat. Food at this resort is great. Ohana's was good both breakfast & dinner. Kona was really enjoyable and Capt Cooks had some tasty food too. Love those pork nacho's !
Unfortunately our trip in general was not my fave. In fact, after spending close to $9000. on this trip DH is soooo disgusted it's doubtful we'll ever go back to DW. Maybe he just needs to calm down a bit but it really wasn't a good trip, esp considering the cost $$$$ ! He feels our money would have been better spent elsewhere Parks were a disaster ! IMO anyway...
Otherwise I do have to say, the POLY is now tied for my favorite resort, actually has a bit of a lead b/c of the transportation options. Just too bad it's about to change.
Construction was in full steam ahead mode on Tokelau. working even late at night doing painting. Too bad they are adding DVC to this resort and even the GF. Taking something away from it. But, it's all about the MONEY right?! Oh well, nothing we can do to change it Disney is going to ruin a good thing IMO. There's so much undeveloped ground there...why ruin the resorts as they are. DVC is not going to make things better at these resorts that's for sure. Build elsewhere ! Say goodbye to quiet peacefulness of the POLY. I'm so glad I got to experience it before they ruin it.
I'm sorry to hear your trip was a disaster. If you don't mind me asking, what happened?
__________________
December 1-4, 2011- Disneyland Hotel, Disneyland
June 24, 2013 - POP, Walt Disneyworld
June 25-July 1, 2013 - Beach Club, Walt Disneyworld
July 1- 5, 2013 - Polynesian Resort, Walt Disneyworld

January 1-5, 2014 - Paradise Pier, Disneyland
July 28-August 2, 2014 - Split stay at Grand Californian Hotel and Disneyland Hotel

(other trips to Disneyland and Disneyland Paris as a kid but it's so much more fun now as a mommy!)
Mommy to Kayla is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:47 AM   #2942
disneymomma76
.
 
disneymomma76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Illinois
Posts: 98

Thanks for posting merchandise pics. Cute, cute, cute!

We were there June 2012 and bought the blue Hawaiian shirts and yellow tie. My youngest has outgrown his shirt and I was hoping they would still be there so we could get him a new one. YEAH!
__________________
ME DH DS (9) DD (6) DS (3)
disneymomma76 is offline  
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-11-2013, 06:48 AM   #2943
WDWKOOK
Lawyered-Up and Shovel-Ready!I'm running out of material and may have to resort to re-posting wattle and Siegfried and Roy
 
WDWKOOK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: NoVA
Posts: 16,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Kayla View Post
I'm sorry to hear your trip was a disaster. If you don't mind me asking, what happened?
Yes, please elaborate on ..."The parks were a disaster."
WDWKOOK is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 06:58 AM   #2944
sjs314
"Laughter is timeless, imagination has no age, and dreams are forever" Walt Disney
 
sjs314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 10,044

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella View Post
Back from our 1st POLY stay. Poly is really nice. We had a lagoon view in Tahiti 1st floor as I had requested. Beautiful view of all those magical Disney icons, the Castle, the Monorail and the ferry boat. Food at this resort is great. Ohana's was good both breakfast & dinner. Kona was really enjoyable and Capt Cooks had some tasty food too. Love those pork nacho's !
Unfortunately our trip in general was not my fave. In fact, after spending close to $9000. on this trip DH is soooo disgusted it's doubtful we'll ever go back to DW. Maybe he just needs to calm down a bit but it really wasn't a good trip, esp considering the cost $$$$ ! He feels our money would have been better spent elsewhere Parks were a disaster ! IMO anyway...
Otherwise I do have to say, the POLY is now tied for my favorite resort, actually has a bit of a lead b/c of the transportation options. Just too bad it's about to change.
Construction was in full steam ahead mode on Tokelau. working even late at night doing painting. Too bad they are adding DVC to this resort and even the GF. Taking something away from it. But, it's all about the MONEY right?! Oh well, nothing we can do to change it Disney is going to ruin a good thing IMO. There's so much undeveloped ground there...why ruin the resorts as they are. DVC is not going to make things better at these resorts that's for sure. Build elsewhere ! Say goodbye to quiet peacefulness of the POLY. I'm so glad I got to experience it before they ruin it.
Thanks for the review of the Poly I am so looking forward top my first stay there in Nov unless they have started the DVC construction which I agree will ruin a beautiful Resort. sorry you came home disappointed, it happens I came home from our last trip which was perfect except for one incident. I said no more trips to Disney and here I am returning this Nov. I think DH will change his mind.
__________________
'89 & '90- Travelodge-Hotel Plaza Blvd,'92 & '93- POFQ,'94-YC,'95 & '96-WL,'97-CSR,'06-AKL,'07-Disneyland Hotel,'09-OKW,F&G '12-BWI,MVMCP '12-BWI,F&W '13-AKL

Shawn 1/9/70-2/13/12
Jason 8/21/79-7/15/09
Sheila
sjs314 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #2945
jaz0308
Mouseketeer
 
jaz0308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 415

Love the merchandise pics! Makes me want to be there soooooo bad!
jaz0308 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:04 AM   #2946
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran
 
mickeynut1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 14,865

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalaine View Post
Ok, I'm finally going to try and upload resort specific clothing/ some merch. from Boutiki last week.
Love the merchandise pics.....thanks for posting them .

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWKOOK View Post
I'd be happy to post a little Poly/CL TR here in just about 2.5 months
I look forward to reading it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella View Post
Back from our 1st POLY stay. Poly is really nice. We had a lagoon view in Tahiti 1st floor as I had requested. Beautiful view of all those magical Disney icons, the Castle, the Monorail and the ferry boat. Food at this resort is great. Ohana's was good both breakfast & dinner. Kona was really enjoyable and Capt Cooks had some tasty food too. Love those pork nacho's !
Unfortunately our trip in general was not my fave. In fact, after spending close to $9000. on this trip DH is soooo disgusted it's doubtful we'll ever go back to DW. Maybe he just needs to calm down a bit but it really wasn't a good trip, esp considering the cost $$$$ ! He feels our money would have been better spent elsewhere Parks were a disaster ! IMO anyway...
Otherwise I do have to say, the POLY is now tied for my favorite resort, actually has a bit of a lead b/c of the transportation options. Just too bad it's about to change.
Construction was in full steam ahead mode on Tokelau. working even late at night doing painting. Too bad they are adding DVC to this resort and even the GF. Taking something away from it. But, it's all about the MONEY right?! Oh well, nothing we can do to change it Disney is going to ruin a good thing IMO. There's so much undeveloped ground there...why ruin the resorts as they are. DVC is not going to make things better at these resorts that's for sure. Build elsewhere ! Say goodbye to quiet peacefulness of the POLY. I'm so glad I got to experience it before they ruin it.
I'm glad you loved the Poly (it's our favorite ), but I'm sorry the rest of the trip wasn't what you had hoped for.
__________________


Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 09:20 AM   #2947
psac
DIS Veteran
 
psac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,363

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnchantedLilly View Post
Here now and I was surprised with the Lagoon View at the Polynesian, we have a beautiful view of the water, although we can't see MK because of palm trees.
That's why it was classified as a lagoon view and not a theme park view. Some lagoon views do give a view of MK, but not all for sure. Hope you enjoy the stay!!!
__________________
“It's kind of fun to do the impossible.” - Walt Disney
Upcoming BWV Dec'14
Past AKL-K Apr'14, BWV Nov'13, VWL/DCL Fantasy Sep'13, Poly CL Jul'13, AKL CL Apr'13, BWV Nov'12, BC CL Jun'12, BLT Apr'12, BWV Nov'11, CR Jul'11, BWI CL Nov'10, GF CL Apr'10, GF Apr'09, Omni Champ. Apr'07, POR Oct '03
psac is online now  
Old 05-11-2013, 11:18 AM   #2948
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.
 
Cindie-rella's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: N.E. Pennsylvania
Posts: 614

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy to Kayla View Post
I'm sorry to hear your trip was a disaster. If you don't mind me asking, what happened?
Well 1st of all it rained for like 4 days. 1 day it rained all day. That's not by any means a fault of Disney's, but all the same it really did put a damper on many of our plans. Of all my past trips to Disney at this same exact time of year we never had not even 1 day of rain. This trip more than made up for it. It wasn't just a passing shower or thunderstorm...it was all day gloomy steady and pouring rain ! UGH ! Ok beyond that...rides we waited in line for either closed, such as test track. Got fast passes. Waited 3 hrs for our time. Went back and fast pass line was slammed. Waited yet another hour and 10 min...our turn next, CLOSED! Ok, again b/c of rain but they couldn't even offer you another fast pass for the next day?!!! Haunted Mansion broke down twice. 1st nite at MK was stuck for 20 while inside waiting to board. We got out of there and never rode it b/c I am claustrophobic !!!!!!!! Next day DH and DGD go back and it breaks down while they are riding it! Splash Mtn. kept stopping in the middle of the ride, not briefly but for like 10 min at a time, 3 different times! And nonetheless right before the big drop! They sat and waited quite a bit again...ruined the whole excitement of the ride. Winnie the pooh broke down while in line too. Now the lines for rides were not short by any means. We would not have even been able to ride Toy Story if some kind man didn't hand us his 3 fastpasses. I have never had to deal with such crowds at Disney! Every big ride had such a long wait ! Ridiculous. We hardly rode anything all week esp. compared to other years. In the past most rides, even the "main" ones were only a 20-25 min wait ! This is no longer a moderate time of year. It was sooo crowded at times we just went back to the resort. Droves of cheerleader competitors and their friends and families, local schools had their class trips. Too many of them IMO ! Parks were filled with so many teens it was like an invasion....not kidding!
I talked to a manager at the front desk at POLY and told him my complaints. He totally agreed with me. Said that this was usually a really good time of year to visit the parks, even him as a local and an employee "used" to love this time of year to bring their families. He then said what is happening is Disney has recognized all their "slower" times and has been trying to fill in all the gaps over the entire year by either offering the general public discounts or esp. by giving tremendous discounts to the competitors, dance, cheerleaders, sports etc. Not only to the competitor their self, but to any one who travels with them. He told me they get some really great deals. So now Disney will try and fill the place to capacity all year long!
It was just too crowded for us. Wait lines extreme, everywhere you went crowds were uncomfortable. I have been there only 6 times before, but this was the worst I have experienced. We always had the perfect trip up until now. Our last trip before this was in 08. It was great. Low wait times, walk up to most any restaurant, character or not and get seated within 5-10 min. w/o adr's ! The free dining plan has ruined that. And if people figure it out, the dining plan is NOT worth it. At least not for a family of 3. Maybe those with lots of kids I haven't figured that out yet, but for us Disney would have gotten even more of our money. They make it sound so spectacular but we would have lost money on that and yet you have to practically order what they tell you. No thanks !
Bad Disney experience for us. So bad DH says no more! With spending almost $9000. we could have had a few vacations elsewhere without all the hassle we had to go thru. I really looked forward to this trip, esp staying at the POLY and all the money spent we should have left with smiles on our faces....It really has been a disappointment!
__________________


2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:02 PM   #2949
mmmears
DIS Veteran
 
mmmears's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: California
Posts: 8,259

Thanks for posting the Poly-specific merchandise! I love it! If they had more items like that last summer, Disney would have gotten some more of our money.
__________________


* Disneyland * Walt Disney World * Disneyland Paris ** Disney Wonder Bahamas * Disney Wonder Alaska *
*Grand Floridian Resort* Animal Kingdom Lodge * Polynesian Resort * Yacht Club * Beach Club * Disneyland Hotel * Grand Californian Resort *
mmmears is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 02:31 PM   #2950
jw50
I might make it sound more embarrasing that it really was
By definition all of the maelstrom women are hotties
 
jw50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 2,721

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcjen519 View Post
is there a 2013 thread
This thread is not by year, but the DIS limits threads to 250 pages so as soon as this one hits 250 page it will be closed and a new one will be started.
__________________
Joe (or Joey to Donna)
jw50 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #2951
rcraw45425
I'm a 43 year old mom with a scar on my navel!
 
rcraw45425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Columbus, GA, South of Atlanta
Posts: 11,120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cindie-rella View Post
Well 1st of all it rained for like 4 days. 1 day it rained all day. That's not by any means a fault of Disney's, but all the same it really did put a damper on many of our plans. Of all my past trips to Disney at this same exact time of year we never had not even 1 day of rain. This trip more than made up for it. It wasn't just a passing shower or thunderstorm...it was all day gloomy steady and pouring rain ! UGH ! Ok beyond that...rides we waited in line for either closed, such as test track. Got fast passes. Waited 3 hrs for our time. Went back and fast pass line was slammed. Waited yet another hour and 10 min...our turn next, CLOSED! Ok, again b/c of rain but they couldn't even offer you another fast pass for the next day?!!! Haunted Mansion broke down twice. 1st nite at MK was stuck for 20 while inside waiting to board. We got out of there and never rode it b/c I am claustrophobic !!!!!!!! Next day DH and DGD go back and it breaks down while they are riding it! Splash Mtn. kept stopping in the middle of the ride, not briefly but for like 10 min at a time, 3 different times! And nonetheless right before the big drop! They sat and waited quite a bit again...ruined the whole excitement of the ride. Winnie the pooh broke down while in line too. Now the lines for rides were not short by any means. We would not have even been able to ride Toy Story if some kind man didn't hand us his 3 fastpasses. I have never had to deal with such crowds at Disney! Every big ride had such a long wait ! Ridiculous. We hardly rode anything all week esp. compared to other years. In the past most rides, even the "main" ones were only a 20-25 min wait ! This is no longer a moderate time of year. It was sooo crowded at times we just went back to the resort. Droves of cheerleader competitors and their friends and families, local schools had their class trips. Too many of them IMO ! Parks were filled with so many teens it was like an invasion....not kidding!
I talked to a manager at the front desk at POLY and told him my complaints. He totally agreed with me. Said that this was usually a really good time of year to visit the parks, even him as a local and an employee "used" to love this time of year to bring their families. He then said what is happening is Disney has recognized all their "slower" times and has been trying to fill in all the gaps over the entire year by either offering the general public discounts or esp. by giving tremendous discounts to the competitors, dance, cheerleaders, sports etc. Not only to the competitor their self, but to any one who travels with them. He told me they get some really great deals. So now Disney will try and fill the place to capacity all year long!
It was just too crowded for us. Wait lines extreme, everywhere you went crowds were uncomfortable. I have been there only 6 times before, but this was the worst I have experienced. We always had the perfect trip up until now. Our last trip before this was in 08. It was great. Low wait times, walk up to most any restaurant, character or not and get seated within 5-10 min. w/o adr's ! The free dining plan has ruined that. And if people figure it out, the dining plan is NOT worth it. At least not for a family of 3. Maybe those with lots of kids I haven't figured that out yet, but for us Disney would have gotten even more of our money. They make it sound so spectacular but we would have lost money on that and yet you have to practically order what they tell you. No thanks !
Bad Disney experience for us. So bad DH says no more! With spending almost $9000. we could have had a few vacations elsewhere without all the hassle we had to go thru. I really looked forward to this trip, esp staying at the POLY and all the money spent we should have left with smiles on our faces....It really has been a disappointment!
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time but I'm having a hard time imagining spending almost $9K on any domestic vacation, especially one that was only a few days long.........
__________________
Robin
offsite '71,'86,'95,'04,Swan'98,CR'98,GF'99,CR'01,CR'03,WL '04,Polynesian'04,YC'05,GF'05,POFQ'05,CR'05,YC'06, PBH'06,CR'07,AS Sports,YC CL1/08,GF11/08, HRH 07/09, WL CL 11/09, PBH 1/10, CR Tower Club 1 bedroom suite 5/10,Royal Pacific Resort Club 12/10, BWI,Disney Dream 4/11,CSR/Grand Floridian 12/11,CR tower 10/12, AKL 1/13, Polynesian 6/13,Polynesian 10/13, PBH CL 11/13, BC 3/14 (2 BR suite), Hard Rock Hotel for Diagon Alley Opening Day (7/14) upcoming BC 3/15



Last edited by rcraw45425; 05-11-2013 at 06:58 PM.
rcraw45425 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #2952
disneydreamin247
DIS Veteran
 
disneydreamin247's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: staten island
Posts: 5,734

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post
I'm sorry you didn't have a good time but I'm having a hard time imagining spending almost $9K on any domestic vacation, especially one that was only a few days long.........
I spent close to 9k the last 2 years.
__________________
Dani DS DD
disneydreamin247 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 PM   #2953
Alli76
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time but I'm having a hard time imagining spending almost $9K on any domestic vacation, especially one that was only a few days long.........
We probably spent that much too with airfare dining and all extras... That being said
__________________
Alli76 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:22 PM   #2954
Alli76
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: CT
Posts: 451

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcraw45425 View Post

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time but I'm having a hard time imagining spending almost $9K on any domestic vacation, especially one that was only a few days long.........
We probably spent that much too with airfare, dining and club level. That being said we had a much better time. We were there the same time and although I HATED the rain (Started about the same time as our cabana reservation) , we had a great time. We were able to ride many of the major headliners more than once. Had some ride breakdowns even on things that we would never expect like Pooh.. And splash mtn was crazy how many times we were stopped for brer fox and brer bear causing commotion. I already can't wait to go back... The question is when and where. I think that i am going to go back to work and we hope to be moving next year.. So 2014 is probably out. 2015 planning is already in my head.. Poly will depend on construction. Maybe I will try a new resort - YIKES!
__________________
Alli76 is offline  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2955
AstroDad
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 56

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneydreamin247 View Post
I spent close to 9k the last 2 years.
Depends on a lot of factors, but here is the breakdown for our October trip coming up:

Family of 5

7 nights at the Poly, 8 day park tickets, Park Hopper, Reg DDP = $7,193
Flight $1,221
Bags $125
Tips $200
Photopass Plus $150
MNSSHP $330

Total $9,219

That doesn't include any incidentals, meals/snacks not covered by DDP, souvenirs, etc., so I am totally expecting things to end up over 10k. Hoping for Free Dining...that would knock that down by $1,400 for us, but keeping it either way and I assume if we don't get FD there will be some other offer to save us at least $750 - $1k.
__________________
AstroDad is offline  
Closed Thread



Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: