Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Welcome to the DIS
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
kidrice
Earning My Ears

First Vacation to WDW

Hi everyone,

My GF and I just booked our vacation to WDW. After reading all the info here, I guess I have to put a little more effort in planning.

All thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-11-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Metro West
Proud Redhead
11.47 Miles from Universal
23.56 Miles from Disney

DISboards Moderator

Welcome!
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #3
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidrice View Post
Hi everyone,

My GF and I just booked our vacation to WDW. After reading all the info here, I guess I have to put a little more effort in planning.

All thoughts and advice will be greatly appreciated.
Hi and welcome!

The first thing I would say is that you don't HAVE to put a huge effort into your planning to enjoy WDW, but the more you know, the easier, more convenient and less tiring your holiday will be.

The tips I would give to a first timer are....

Be realistic in your expectations. WDW is 46 square miles, you won't get to see and do EVERYTHING, so figure out what you don't want to miss!

Lots of different factors can affect your trip, time of year, whether you have Dining Plan or not, weather, length of stay and of course your own personal interests and touring style. Figure out what is right for YOU. There are lots of conflicting opinions and views but what is right for you may not be right for me.

Learn which attractions and rides require forward thinking and those that do not. There are lots of things that you can pretty much walk on, there are things that regularly have a 90 minute wait, knowing which ones to use FP will make your trip go smoothly!

Finally, and probably most importantly, relax and enjoy the planning process. For many of us, the process of planning it and figuring out what we want to do is really enjoyable and keeps us cheerful in the long wait until we leave!

People here are really helpful in general and you will not find a better resource for any questions you may have. Whatever it is you want to know, there will be dozens of people here who have done it before!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #4
jendahl12
Earning My Ears

Seconded.

Don't overplan the trip, but do the up front investigation to decide what you really would like to to do this first time and consider any extra secondary things just icing on the cake.

It's a vacation...you want to feel relaxed and not stressed about what time it is 100% of the time because of this other thing you wanted to do as well.

You have to relax into the magic and go with it; pick your hit-list...pick your down times...allow for some spontaneity...and just enjoy being there.

Don't worry about missing out on something, you can add that to hit list for the next time and that'll encourage the savings for the next time.

Places to stay, eat, visit, feast...yup you have many people ready to offer their advice.

Ask away.

;-)
Old 05-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #5
jesswindsor
DIS Veteran

Welcome!!!