Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 11:48 AM   #346
franandaj

Sharing adventures and good times
My heart is forever given to Fran

[Continued from Previous Post]

And the waterfront.

This was probably one of the snorkeling excursions.

Now evidently there were at least 27 wrecked ships in this bay. There was a restaurant on the shore that had a ladder into the water from it’s back deck. Our guide said that they actually encouraged folks to come down in their swimsuits and enter the ocean from their restaurant. It was easy swimming out to the wreck that we floated over, and then once the patrons came in from all that snorkeling they would be hungry.

It was difficult to see much of the wreck clearly through the water, but as our guide described the features you could sort of make them out under the boat. He also pointed out how deep the water was and that you could tell by the color of the water. We pulled out of the shallow section and into some deeper water. Then he got out a package of crackers. He asked all the kids if they wanted to feed the fish. Even the big kids wanted to do that!

All at once we crushed and dropped our crackers over the side of the boat. The fish came to the surface in a feeding frenzy.

We tootled around a little bit and then we went back on land.

Our tour was coming to an end and we started on our way back to the parking area.

We finished up our tour, gave the guide a tip and headed back to the port area. We asked one of the guys at the exit how we could get a cab to take us over to the Harley Davidson store. He basically talked Fran out of it by telling her it was only a 6 or 7 minute walk. Ha!

We walked across the parking lot and as soon as we got to the street we encountered a park bench. Fran asked if we could sit and she could get her breath. After about 10 minutes we got up and walked almost another block. It was hot, humid, icky and we were not even a quarter of the way to the store. This is where Fran got smart. Instead of persevering on to the store, she turned around and grabbed the cab which was sitting by the side of the road. She realized that she could walk herself silly today and not be able to move for the entire rest of the trip, or she could just take a cab and enjoy the rest of the trip.

The man was nice enough to even stick around while we bought a few T-shirts, and then he took us back to right across from the port where we saw a cheap T-shirt shop where we could buy souvenirs for our cat sitters and other friends.

Then we stopped for some more souvenirs. Buy six, get two free!

After that we were getting hot, tired and cranky. So what do you do to cure that? Have a tropical drink!

Then we were back on the tender boat on our way to the ship.

Unfortunately with our return trip we were not so lucky. Fran was exhausted and though the guys on the boat had told her how she could avoid doing the stairs at all, she didn’t want to wait for the next boat which boarded from a slightly different location. As she went up the steps to get on the boat, she lost her balance. She didn’t fall, but it caused a whole bunch of gallant men to rush to our aid! One took all my packages out of my hands. The ship hands held her arms and steadied her up the stairs. The drag was she was going to have to climb a flight of stairs to exit the boat once we got back.

Then, the tender boat let us off at the Forward end of the ship. Our room was at the complete Aft. At least she realized that she was too tired to walk all the way to the room, so we got her to lobby and she sat on a couch in front of Guest Services while I ran back to the room to get her scooter.

Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

franandaj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #347
dolphingirl47
I will post my goodies once I am back
I have always been too worried to use the pillowcase

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post
What do you mean "manic"?
UK-speak for crazy busy.

The tour looked like fun. Good job that you managed to get a taxi to take you to the store and back. I am sorry that the tender process was not so smooth on the way back.

Corinna

Last edited by dolphingirl47; 05-12-2013 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Fix typo
dolphingirl47 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 04:16 PM   #348
ACDSNY

No freaking out allowed
Just flying by

Looks like the Duck tour was interesting. Sorry the tendering back to the ship didn't go as smooth as the morning.

Disneyland - Too many to count! Last DL trip: May 2013 WDW - Nov 2011, Nov 2009, May 2007, Oct 2006, July 2006, Oct 2005, Oct 2003, Oct 2000
DCL - S. Caribbean Oct 2014 Magic, E. Caribbean Nov 2013 Fantasy, Mexican Riviera Mar 2012 Wonder, Bahamas B2B Nov 2011 Dream, Panama Canal Jan 2011 Wonder, Bahamas Nov 2009 Wonder
Princess - Panama Canal Jan 2014, Pacific Coast May 2006, Alaska Sep 2004, Mar 1999 Australia/New Zealand
Big Island - May 2013 Kauai - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012, Feb 2010, Oct 2008 Maui - Jan & Nov 2012 Oahu Aulani - Jun 2014, Jan & Dec 2012
ACDSNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #349
Pinkocto
In love with all things Disney. Happily joined DVC 01/11.

Your tour sounded like great fun. Ugh on the casket story, I can't imagine how gross it would have been to deal with those old bodies.

Some of those fish looked HUGE!

I'm glad Fran grabbed the taxi instead of pushing herself anymore. I'm sorry the tendering back wasn't as smooth though. I love that there are still gallant men out there.

Oooohhh, rum cake

First Trip - YC '89, CSR '98, Pop '07, Music '08, AKL CL 1/11, SSR 12/11, 5N Dream Cruise & AKV 3/12, AKV CL 9/12 , OKW 12/12, 4N Wonder Cruise 1/13, 7N Fantasy Cruise & AKV CL 3/13, AKV 6/13, DL 9/13, VGF 12/13, OKW/AKV 1/14, 5N Wonder Cruise/VBR 3/14, Western Fantasy/BCV 5/14
Pinkocto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #350
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

Great pictures of an amazing location and the Wonder.

Sounds like you had a great Duck tour and that was rather annoying that the guy told Fran only 6 - 7 minutes walk to the HD store. Glad she realised it was going to take way longer and grabbed a cab when she did.

The tendering back must have been a little distressing. I was worried reading it that Fran didn't pull up sore the next day.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #351
Dixielady908
Grandma's Little Princess

beautiful pictures of the Island....going to keep my fingers crossed that we make it this year. Have not decided what we are going to do there yet, but the boat tour you did looks like something we may consider.

Again thanks for sharing..
1978 Contemporary Resort - 1979 Contemporary Resort - 1990 Off site - 1997 Dixielandings - 2000 - Port Orleans - Riverside 2004 - Port Orleans - Riverside - 2006 - Disney Magic - Eastern 2007 - Pop Century - 2008 - Disney Magic - Western 2011 - Disney Magic Western-turned into a Eastern - 2013 - Disney Fantasy - Western - 2014 - Disney Parks - 2015 - Disney Wonder - Alaska

Denise
Nanaheads Rule
Dixielady908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #352
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

I am catching up and just read through its nice because I am getting to know you and Fran better I have never been on a cruise but always said if I ever did it would have to be DCL all the food offered all the time though looks delicious but so much I would probably gain 20 lbs on a trip

A Story of Hope & The Power of Dis<---small update MON 09/08
Luvchefmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:37 AM   #353
dgbg100106

It is pretty unique... Just like me
Mommy, please make the mean witch stop talking to me

Beautiful pictures.....

They do a duck tour here, but I have never taken it... Would you do it again?

Sorry the day was so tiring and about all the walking, glad you got the cab and the scooter..

73 Cont, 74 Poly, 91 Swan, 02 CBR, 05 BWV, 09 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 10 Jambo House AKL (F&WF), 11 BWV, 11 BCV (F&WF)

2013 Cruising adventures
3rd times a Charm, F&WF2011 Celebrating Graduations at the world2010 F&WF, AKV with Sunrise Safari and 7 nights on Cruise
dgbg100106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:38 PM   #354
sager1969
Mouseketeer

I believe that you can never have too many pictures of a Disney ship! Driving around in Grand Cayman is quite the experience, huh? I am curious to know if you liked the duck tour as well. We did snorkeling on sting ray city. We love being on a catamaran.

I thought the whole port shopping area was weird. We wound up with bamboo shirts for my boy. I did not brave a diamond store. Also, everyone seemed tone drinking alot. We had to eat at Margaritaville and everyone kept wanting us to drink more. I was too tired!

Also, we play slug bug where I grew up in Texas. That picture would have been a major score!

Still loving your report....
BLT - 3/2012; Dream/BWV - 6/2012; Magic - 10/2012;
ALK - 3/2013; Aulani - 6/2013; DVC Dream/AKV - 10/2013; Christmas Dream/WL - 12/2013;
AKL - 3/2014; Wonder - 6/2014; ABD Backstage magic - 7/2014
sager1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 12:42 PM   #355
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Oh forgot to mention I LOVED the Chip & Dale picture Fran managed to score in the silent auction good for you two

Nice formal pics taken but the one thing I didn't like and it could have been fixed so easily was with the picture of you & Minnie for goodness sakes the photographer should have positioned you so that Walt could be in the picture too ( I am such a wanta be photopass person LOL ) but anyway you both looked great

Old 05-12-2013, 03:50 PM   #356
franandaj

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphingirl47 View Post
UK-speak for crazy busy.

The tour looked like fun. Good job that you managed to get a taxi to take you to the store and back. I am sorry that the tender process was not so smooth on the way back.

Corinna
OK! I just learned a new word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACDSNY View Post
Looks like the Duck tour was interesting. Sorry the tendering back to the ship didn't go as smooth as the morning.
Yeah, like all of us, when she gets tired, she gets wobbly. Considering we don't do much at home of a physical nature, that was sort of an active day for us. We were both tired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkocto View Post
Your tour sounded like great fun. Ugh on the casket story, I can't imagine how gross it would have been to deal with those old bodies.

Some of those fish looked HUGE!

I'm glad Fran grabbed the taxi instead of pushing herself anymore. I'm sorry the tendering back wasn't as smooth though. I love that there are still gallant men out there.

Oooohhh, rum cake
The dead bodies would be

Yeah, those fish by where we entered were giant.

My knee was killing me that day. It is even still bothering me some. I keep stretching it and the Chiropractor works it twice a week. I wasn't going to be able to walk much farther either. I'm so glad she got the Taxi. I keep telling her it was one of her smartest decisions and we were able to enjoy the rest of the week.

Also, if we hadn't got the taxi, we probably would not have passed the little rum cake shop and seen their buy six get two free sign! I gave one to our cat sitter, one to Darcy, one to our friend who would have helped us out, but it became unnecessary, and we kept the rest. They're the perfect size for two, here's one we ate a couple nights ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessInOz View Post
Great pictures of an amazing location and the Wonder.
I would have had to have pretty good eyesight to see the Wonder. Since she was in the Bahamas!

But I'm glad you like my pictures of the Magic!

Quote:
Sounds like you had a great Duck tour and that was rather annoying that the guy told Fran only 6 - 7 minutes walk to the HD store. Glad she realised it was going to take way longer and grabbed a cab when she did.

The tendering back must have been a little distressing. I was worried reading it that Fran didn't pull up sore the next day.

Yeah, I was quite miffed at him, can't you see she is walking with two canes? It took us 6-7 minutes to cross the parking lot. I don't think it was the length of time that caused her to get the cab, it was the pain and realizing how much walking on the day at DL wore her out.

Once we were seated on the Tender boat, it was fine, but she's gone down in some pretty public places before, and it was scary to see her stumble like that. I'm glad the guys working the boat were so nice and helpful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixielady908 View Post
beautiful pictures of the Island....going to keep my fingers crossed that we make it this year. Have not decided what we are going to do there yet, but the boat tour you did looks like something we may consider.

Again thanks for sharing..
I hope you get to go too! It was really nice and we're talking about going there sometime just to visit. Maybe when we are scuba certified. It would be a great place to dive and relax (in the air conditioning).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvchefmic View Post
I am catching up and just read through its nice because I am getting to know you and Fran better I have never been on a cruise but always said if I ever did it would have to be DCL all the food offered all the time though looks delicious but so much I would probably gain 20 lbs on a trip
I gained a bunch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgbg100106 View Post
Beautiful pictures.....

They do a duck tour here, but I have never taken it... Would you do it again?

Sorry the day was so tiring and about all the walking, glad you got the cab and the scooter..
I wouldn't do it in Grand Cayman again, but I might consider taking one in another city. They even have one here in Long Beach. Maybe if I had guests come in from out of town it would be a fun touristy thing to do. You don't see anything earth shattering, but if you have a good guide, you get some interesting trivia and see the city from a unique perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sager1969 View Post
I believe that you can never have too many pictures of a Disney ship! Driving around in Grand Cayman is quite the experience, huh? I am curious to know if you liked the duck tour as well. We did snorkeling on sting ray city. We love being on a catamaran.

I thought the whole port shopping area was weird. We wound up with bamboo shirts for my boy. I did not brave a diamond store. Also, everyone seemed tone drinking alot. We had to eat at Margaritaville and everyone kept wanting us to drink more. I was too tired!

Also, we play slug bug where I grew up in Texas. That picture would have been a major score!

Still loving your report....
Next time we're going to do something like that. It was the issue of open wounds and salt water that made us change our minds, so hopefully at the end of the month we will be all done with that chapter of our lives.

Yay! Someone else who plays the game! We don't actually punch each other any more, but it's hilarious how we can't even blurt out the right colors of the cars. Beige or cream is the one that gets us, neither of us can ever figure out the word! Her son plays a variation that you have to get flag or holiday colors. Green, White and Red would be the Mexican Flag. Orange and Black are Halloween. We also have "poke a boat" and the "Cadillac whack".

Quote:
Oh forgot to mention I LOVED the Chip & Dale picture Fran managed to score in the silent auction good for you two

Nice formal pics taken but the one thing I didn't like and it could have been fixed so easily was with the picture of you & Minnie for goodness sakes the photographer should have positioned you so that Walt could be in the picture too ( I am such a wanta be photopass person LOL ) but anyway you both looked great
Hmmmm....you just reminded me, I don't think we have received that yet. Last cruise they all arrived so quickly.

I didn't even think of that, but you're right, they really should have tried to get Walt in the photo!
Alison ~~~~ Sleepy and Grumpy Visit Tatooine | Our Disney Dream Home|Keep Your Eyes on the Road | I do get to go to WDW this year! | Expo 2013 | ...It's How You Play the Game | We need a little Magic... | TR - Pinch me... | Destination D-75 TR | It'll be a WONDER ... | Cheating on Mickey w/ Harry, PTR | D23 Expo 2011 TR | D23 D40 WDW in Detail | DCA F&W Review | Jan 2010 DR Visits 2015: VGC, VWL, DCL 2014: VGC, CSR, VGF, DCL 2013: VWL, BCV, DCL, AKL, BLT, VGC, 2012: VGC, DCL, 2011: VGC, BLT, OKW 2010: THV, AKV, VGC, 2009: BWV 2008: SSR, 2007: AKL & GF, 2001: AKL, BC & DCL 1997: DXL & WL 1993: GF, DL Too many to count since 1973!

Old 05-12-2013, 04:56 PM   #357
PrincessInOz
in
Catch you at the other end

I have super eyesight! I forgot you were on the Magic.

Disneyland - Dec 1986, May 1990, Dec 1997, Aug 2003, Jun 2005, Jul 2007 TR, Nov 2008, The Mad Dash (Jan 2011, Nov 2012) Oct 14 PTR
Walt Disney World - Jun 2005, May 2010 (POR, BCV) PTR || TR, Oct 2010 (CSR) PTR || TR, Oct 2013 Anyone Game? PTR || TR in progress
Hong Kong Disneyland - Mar/Apr 2012 TR
PrincessInOz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:45 PM   #358
Luvchefmic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franandaj View Post

My knee was killing me that day. It is even still bothering me some. I keep stretching it and the Chiropractor works it twice a week. I wasn't going to be able to walk much farther either. I'm so glad she got the Taxi. I keep telling her it was one of her smartest decisions and we were able to enjoy the rest of the week.

Also, if we hadn't got the taxi, we probably would not have passed the little rum cake shop and seen their buy six get two free sign! I gave one to our cat sitter, one to Darcy, one to our friend who would have helped us out, but it became unnecessary, and we kept the rest. They're the perfect size for two, here's one we ate a couple nights ago.

Yeah, I was quite miffed at him, can't you see she is walking with two canes? It took us 6-7 minutes to cross the parking lot. I don't think it was the length of time that caused her to get the cab, it was the pain and realizing how much walking on the day at DL wore her out.

Once we were seated on the Tender boat, it was fine, but she's gone down in some pretty public places before, and it was scary to see her stumble like that. I'm glad the guys working the boat were so nice and helpful.

I hope you get to go too! It was really nice and we're talking about going there sometime just to visit. Maybe when we are scuba certified. It would be a great place to dive and relax (in the air conditioning).

I gained a bunch!

Yay! Someone else who plays the game! We don't actually punch each other any more, but it's hilarious how we can't even blurt out the right colors of the cars. Beige or cream is the one that gets us, neither of us can ever figure out the word! Her son plays a variation that you have to get flag or holiday colors. Green, White and Red would be the Mexican Flag. Orange and Black are Halloween. We also have "poke a boat" and the "Cadillac whack".

Hmmmm....you just reminded me, I don't think we have received that yet. Last cruise they all arrived so quickly.

I didn't even think of that, but you're right, they really should have tried to get Walt in the photo!
Oh Alison I did forget to comment re-your knee & the idiot guy directing you & Fran to the HD shop...hope you are both feeling better

When my kids were little we played "punch Buggy" all the time we all ended up w/black & blue arms on road trips Glad I reminded you about the picture and one more thing NEXT time you go I want that Black Beards Rum Cake I looked at it on the shelves of your picture and went Yummmmmmm now that I see it outside the box I say YummmmmmmmmmY

Old 05-13-2013, 03:13 PM   #359
franandaj

Quote:
I have super eyesight! I forgot you were on the Magic.
Magic, Wonder, Fantasy, Dream....what's the difference?

Quote:
Oh Alison I did forget to comment re-your knee & the idiot guy directing you & Fran to the HD shop...hope you are both feeling better

When my kids were little we played "punch Buggy" all the time we all ended up w/black & blue arms on road trips Glad I reminded you about the picture and one more thing NEXT time you go I want that Black Beards Rum Cake I looked at it on the shelves of your picture and went Yummmmmmm now that I see it outside the box I say YummmmmmmmmmY
My knee is getting slightly better. Hopefully by the end of the week it will stop bothering me.

Yay! Someone else who played the "punch buggy" game!

I'll keep you on my cake list for next time!

Old 05-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #360
franandaj

When I last left you, we had just arrived on the ship. We were tired and hungry and I was debating whether or to have Goofy’s or Pluto’s for lunch when Fran (who was having a brilliant day for ideas) came up with the best one. Room Service! Doh! Why didn’t I think of that?

Here is the room service menu.

Well it appears that everyone else on the ship had the same idea. I was on hold for about 20 minutes just waiting to place the order. The food arrived faster than it took me to place the order!

I got the chicken wings, and I was appalled to find that the honey mustard sauce had spilled on the plate. These were OK, but there was too much BBQ sauce on them. I like my wings a little bit more naked, so you can douse them in the blue cheese sauce.

Fran got the steak sandwich, which I guess she liked well enough.

We had a 7:30 reservation at Palo. Both of us needed showers from all the humidity on shore. We had a few hours to shower and get dressed, so she took a nap. I decided to go up to the pool and hit the Jacuzzi. My knee was killing me and all the walking that we tried to do today didn’t help.

I ran into the couple from the restaurant the other night and said “Hi” on my way to the Hot Tub. I had a Sunken Treasure while I relaxed and two of our tablemates who were swimming in the pool dropped in the tub to say “hello” before they went on to get changed for dinner. They were also dining at Palo that night.

On my way back to the room, I stopped to chat with our new friends. I must have spent at least 20 minutes talking with them. I convinced them that they had to try the brunch at Palo. I found out that she is a travel agent with Dreams Unlimited and they are from Dallas. They had also been through three margaritas while I had been in the pool. We ended up exchanging email addresses. They were big WDW fans and I told them if they ever made it out to Disneyland, I would show them a really great time.

Once I was back in the room, and we were both all showered and dressed, we headed up to Palo. It was nice having dinner with just the two of us. I think on a longer cruise I will book a couple nights in Palo. It was OK having tablemates, but it was nice having just the two of us at dinner.

I took pictures of the menu.

We started off with the antipasto

I got a Gibson

Tonight we went with a seafood menu. I got the tuna carpaccio

Fran got the Pesto shrimp, she let me have a couple.

We shared the lobster mascarpone ravioli. I liked the version on the Wonder better, it was much more subtle. This sort of had an Alfredo sauce whereas the Wonder had more of a butter sauce.

[Continued in Next Post]

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: