Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #436
WillAustin
FP+ Complainer

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejen22 View Post
I don't disagree with this but I could not imagine going to WDW with my 10yo and just leaving them so that I could go on a ride, if we could not agree then I would skip it.
Our kids are 10,8, and 8. When we have only one adult and 3 kids, there is a lot of negotiation about which rides we all do. One is afraid of anything fast, one is afraid of Haunted Mansion, one's favorite ride is Test Track, etc. One of them will suck it up so another can ride what they want to and it usually evens out, but sometimes we skip.

I have let our 10 year old son make a run to get fastpasses for the family before, but he is responsible and knowledgeable enough to do it.
Old 05-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #437
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota!

We "only" have 2 kids - and split up very frequently. YDS and I really enjoy people watching. So we snag a bench and a snack and just chill in the FL sun. ODS and DH love the rides...so off they go.

well, that sounds.....fun
Why wouldnt it still be fun? Do you go on every single ride and watch every show? And do you still have fun? My kids have never complained about not having fun! I suppose when they come into contact with whiny, childish adults who tell them it's not right, you should complain and be demanding and get everything you want. Because thats how the real world is huh?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #438
lizzi6692
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris4360 View Post

Why wouldnt it still be fun? Do you go on every single ride and watch every show? And do you still have fun? My kids have never complained about not having fun! I suppose when they come into contact with whiny, childish adults who tell them it's not right, you should complain and be demanding and get everything you want. Because thats how the real world is huh?
It wouldn't be fun because people are unique and have different interests not everyone wants to do the same thing all the time. I would have been really resentful of my sibling if I couldn't ride my favorite rides just because she couldn't or wouldn't ride them. You can have a family vacation without spending every waking moment together.
December 2011: Pop Century
Old 05-11-2013, 04:18 PM   #439
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Yes, I would and I have.

I think DD was 8 the first times she hung out waiting for us to ride HM.

She was 12 the year we went to DLP and she (with a cell phone in her possession) entertained herself for 2 hours while the rest of us waited for Crush's Coaster. We set a meeting point for after 2 hours (and reminded her that wait times can be longer than the sign says so not to worry if we were not there on time), gave her some cash, and trusted her to use her good sens and have fun--she did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr View Post
I would- there is a little porch with either a bench or rocking chairs right by the entrance to the line (across from Columbia HH) he could easily sit there, get him a snack and drink or something and have him wait until he sees you. Of course go when the wait is very low, and go through the faster side of the line not the extended interactive side.
That was exactly where DD used to wait for us (there was a rocking chair BTW)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAndFluffy View Post
Depends on your kid in a big way..

but it sounds like this particular kid has some issues with anxiety. Granted, it sounds like its the imaginary scenarios in movies and rides are what make him uneasy, but his natural thermostat seems set to "anxious." And kids who are anxious have great imaginations.

So imagine...you're a naturally anxious kid...you've been told where your parents will be and when they'll be back...you acknowledge you understand...they say to text and that they'll text you...and then they walk away.

There are lots of people around. You know about stranger danger, so your imagination starts whirring. You check the clock. It feels like they have been gone forever, but its been 5 minutes. You start to wonder if they'll be back soon. The panic builds up. You text them, no response. Are they on the ride? Somewhere they dont have reception? maybe something happened! You wonder what will happen when they don't come back. If! You meant if!! they don't come back! Your heart races, your palms sweat, you stay planted right where you are and burst into tears when you see them.

Dramatic? yes, but so is the brain of a creative 10 year old. And though nothing happened to this particular kid on the outside, something still happened. He doesn't have the skills to talk himself out of this tree. Why put him in the position to have that anxiety build up?
It depends on the kid. My DD was always anxious about movies and rides that were "creepy" or had scary music--but she had NO ISSUES being on her own. None. Never made her nervous. She was great at handling situations that could arise, traveled on her own, etc.

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
Old 05-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #440
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

Absolutely I would. In fact, I like the shooting arcade idea mentioned upthread - instead of having him sit on a bench with nothing to do but think (maybe about "what ifs" if he's a generally anxious child) leave him in a place with something fun to do and instructions not to leave for any reason. Not only will the time pass more quickly for him, it also won't be as obvious to a casual observer that he's alone.

I would NOT, on the other hand, recommend the chicken exit. It is after the stretching room, and if he is scared of the ride I can't imagine that it would put him in a good frame of mind to wait alone for the first time!

I don't get the comments that dismiss the idea as though it is crazy. At 10 my kids were walking to school and friends houses, biking to the ice cream shop, and playing pick-up ball at the park. Only on the DIS could something as simple as sitting on a bench waiting for the rest of the family generate 30 pages of mostly "OMG no way!" responses with that "how horrible that you'd even consider it" tone. Yes, there are bad people in the world. The good far outnumber them. Yes, bad things happen. Most of the time, however, life is business as usual. The whole trend of trying to protect against even one-in-millions dangers is doing far more harm than good; for every kid "saved" from a kidnapper or predator there are hundreds if not thousands "saved" from age-appropriate independence.

Old 05-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #441
NHdisneylover
Lanyards are taking all my poor organizatioanl skills
mice and such creatures tend to like to travel aorund

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheilaHeartsDisney View Post
Here in Pennsylvania all you need is the name of the person and the county. If you do get a hit the webpage shows you their birthday and where they lived at the time then you can figure out the age and guess from there.
As other posters pointed out--people MOVE. Heck, my 16 year old has lived in 5 US states plus Germany--and I have had well over 20 addresses. TO really have a good background check done you;d have to have a SS# or fingerprints. Even then, in the US would that bring up anything from when I lived in Spain or here in Germany if there were anything to bring up (there's not ) ?

I also agree that it is odd to try to get a background check on everyone like that. I think it also provides a false sense of security because just because someone has not been caught, or not hurt a child before, does not mean they won't in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschon View Post
I always ask my wife "are you 100% sure, Or 90% sure" ....that nothing will happen.

Most things in this life require "pretty sure" everything will be fine...But when its something that you absolutely can not lose.....
Nothing in life is 100%. Realistically most ten year olds are put in more danger riding in the car to school or the store or whatnot in a typical week than the danger they are in spending some time alone at WDW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27 View Post
Absolutely I would. In fact, I like the shooting arcade idea mentioned upthread - instead of having him sit on a bench with nothing to do but think (maybe about "what ifs" if he's a generally anxious child) leave him in a place with something fun to do and instructions not to leave for any reason. Not only will the time pass more quickly for him, it also won't be as obvious to a casual observer that he's alone.

I would NOT, on the other hand, recommend the chicken exit. It is after the stretching room, and if he is scared of the ride I can't imagine that it would put him in a good frame of mind to wait alone for the first time!

I don't get the comments that dismiss the idea as though it is crazy. At 10 my kids were walking to school and friends houses, biking to the ice cream shop, and playing pick-up ball at the park. Only on the DIS could something as simple as sitting on a bench waiting for the rest of the family generate 30 pages of mostly "OMG no way!" responses with that "how horrible that you'd even consider it" tone. Yes, there are bad people in the world. The good far outnumber them. Yes, bad things happen. Most of the time, however, life is business as usual. The whole trend of trying to protect against even one-in-millions dangers is doing far more harm than good; for every kid "saved" from a kidnapper or predator there are hundreds if not thousands "saved" from age-appropriate independence.
GREAT point about the stretching room being before the chicken exit. That was the part that bothered DD the most

My blog about my wanderings and ramblings in Europe, Disney and where ever else life takes me:

http://hadleyswanderingsandramblings.blogspot.de/
Old 05-11-2013, 05:51 PM   #442
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colleen27

This almost seems off topic, but there is actually as chicken exit in the stretching room. It takes you through a short hallway and then out by the by the exit. I used it with my son so we could avoid the stretching room.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club, Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Upcoming Trips: Oct 2015 POFQ

Old 05-11-2013, 05:58 PM   #443
Simba's Girl
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liltx View Post
Still not sure what we would do with our 10 yo but I do think it's smart to educate your child and for parents to weigh the risks. I sat behind 5 cars dropping off kids at dance today. Two of the cars waited to watch their 12-14 year olds walk into the building. Now if you can't let her walk 20 ft from the car to the door without keeping an eye on her then you have a problem. The risk in that situation is about zero. Helicopter parenting I say. What in the world will they do when those kids get to college?

I hardly think that waiting for someone, anyone to walk into their destination is "helicopter" anything. I think its polite and caring. For crying out loud I remember my DH doing it when he dropped me off when we were dating! I fully admit I do this when DD runs into dance, not even sure why really, just want to see her off/in and the girl dances 6 days a week! LOL This is the 10 year old I'm talking about...the one I allow to walk two houses down from us to her friends (we live in a rural area), the one I would allow to wait outside a ride for us, but probably suggest do something else more exciting in the meantime and meet up later.

Our August '13 LIVE!!! TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3154496
Old 05-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #444
Cyrano

Disney VIP
Anyone for haggis
Aren't we all a cagey lot

DISboards Moderator

Late to the party.

Folks keep it civil otherwise this thread will be no more

Theme Park Attractions & Strategies board
20 nights Disney and Universal July 2015
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:00 PM   #445
troll buster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Girl

I hardly think that waiting for someone, anyone to walk into their destination is "helicopter" anything. I think its polite and caring. For crying out loud I remember my DH doing it when he dropped me off when we were dating! I fully admit I do this when DD runs into dance, not even sure why really, just want to see her off/in and the girl dances 6 days a week! LOL This is the 10 year old I'm talking about...the one I allow to walk two houses down from us to her friends (we live in a rural area), the one I would allow to wait outside a ride for us, but probably suggest do something else more exciting in the meantime and meet up later.
I agree. You don't know if that was the reason they were waiting, but even if it was you shouldn't make it your concern.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 PM   #446
Granny square
Always planning a trip!

If we all had to agree, we would miss space mountain, Winnie the Pooh, it's a small world, haunted mansion, hall of presidents, splash and thunder mountains, pirates of the Caribbean an the jungle cruise the trip they ranged from 4-13. I can't imagine even visiting at that point. Instead we went on some together and some separate. And everyone got to spend plenty of time together.

Of course, we homeschool do we were all together all of the time.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #447
Love Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simba's Girl View Post
I hardly think that waiting for someone, anyone to walk into their destination is "helicopter" anything. I think its polite and caring.
I'm guessing you don't spend a lot of time in car drop off lanes.

The majority of us aren't in love with the 10% of people who hold up the line by sitting in everyone's way being "polite and caring" while the rest of us wait.

There's a difference between waiting in someone's driveway for your kid to get inside and sitting there, unmoving, when there are 50 cars behind you waiting to drop off their kids.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #448
troll buster
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love Tink

I'm guessing you don't spend a lot of time in car drop off lanes.

The majority of us aren't in love with the 10% of people who hold up the line by sitting in everyone's way being "polite and caring" while the rest of us wait.

There's a difference between waiting in someone's driveway for your kid to get inside and sitting there, unmoving, when there are 50 cars behind you waiting to drop off their kids.
If thats the case.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:30 PM   #449
stasijane
Crazed one

To answer the question that was asked. I would, My DD now 13 always waits for me where the ride exits. She dont ride, I do and since its just the two of us it works out good this way. If she were under 10 I dont know if I would but we never had to worry about that. Both myself and my daughter and independent. Only you know your child, If you feel he would be ok and wait for you then I see no problem with it.
Old 05-11-2013, 08:34 PM   #450
kandb
DIS Veteran

OP here-I was speaking to my son today about how he would feel if he waited for us when we went into HM. He said, "Oh, like last year when dad left me out, when he brought Kelly and Morgan into mission space?" Apparently, last Sept. when we were at disney with my children and niece, my dh had my son wait in the gift shop while they went into misson space. He was fine with it and said he was reading the books the whole time. I am a worry wart but I think disney is a safe environment and find it hard to believe that someone would ever abduct a child from there. As I said before, if I told my son not to talk to a stranger or go with anyone else, I am 100% sure he wouldn't.

I know this might sound sexist? but it seems to me that most abductions are of girls. To be honest, I wouldn't leave my daughter alone, even in disney. In all the abductions that I have seen in the news, I can't even think of one that has been a boy. Unfortunately, girls are
a target for sick, evil individuals (I am sure everyone knows the reason).

Last edited by kandb; 05-11-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: