Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 06:43 AM   #46
FlightlessDuck
Pluto's personal nose scratcher
Dumb people spoiling my fun makes me a sad Panda

I was disappointed when I heard the announcement. Moving Dumbo away from the castle? Spending all that time and money when it's only netting ONE new ride? What a waste.

'87: Off Site, '94: GF, '02: FWC, '06: POP, '09: CSR, '10: POP, '12: CSR
FlightlessDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:46 AM   #47
arielmomma
DIS Veteran

I agree with those who found the theming and detail to be astounding. It was lovely to walk through.

However, we all agreed that the actual attraction aspect was sort of "meh." The LM was okay. My 5 year old girl really liked it. We rode it twice, getting right on the ride both times. It was like riding Pooh or Small world or any of the fantasyland rides - nice, sweet, great for little ones, but didn't have us hungry for more. My DH and I liked ETWB more than the kids. We thought it was cute. But I wouldn't wait in a super long line for it. I think we waited 30 minutes, which was worth it b/c it was a new attraction and we sort of got lucky, but I wouldn't wait more than that. (Keep in mind that we have a general rule never to wait more than that for any ride.) We also had a LaFeu's Brew. We all enjoyed it and would have one again. This was our favorite thing in NFL.

Again, it was all good. NFL is definitely worth walking through and simply taking in the atmosphere. However, I wouldn't battle crazy crowds to get on the attractions or eat at the restaurants. But that was just my family's take. Every family is different.

DH Me DS10ickeybar: DD7
arielmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #48
IheartRapunzel
Earning My Ears

everyone keeps saying to wait for the new roller coaster. but that got me thinking...what about those people who don't like those types of rides. not everyone is a coaster fan. with that said...i guess fantasyland can be a disappointment. although, i'm still excited to find out for myself
IheartRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:34 AM   #49
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
I was disappointed when I heard the announcement. Moving Dumbo away from the castle? Spending all that time and money when it's only netting ONE new ride? What a waste.
Little Mermaid, Mine Coaster, second Dumbo, new restaurant & counter service.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:38 AM   #50
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartRapunzel View Post
everyone keeps saying to wait for the new roller coaster. but that got me thinking...what about those people who don't like those types of rides. not everyone is a coaster fan. with that said...i guess fantasyland can be a disappointment. although, i'm still excited to find out for myself
The seven dwarves coaster will not be anything too extreme,expect it to be in between the Great Goofini kiddie coaster and Big Thunder,it will also have a dark ride component where the ride may go through the mine slowly.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #51
IheartRapunzel
Earning My Ears

hmmm i dunno...i just know there are people who are terrified of roller coasters. like my mother haha
IheartRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:34 AM   #52
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pattibehan View Post
My kids are teens, and boys..we took it for what it was. We enjoyed the theming, just fantastic !!! The Mermaid ride was cute, but for little kids..the que was beautiful and I am glad we saw it. We walked around and enjoyed it for the beauty and story..rides...meh ! I did really like the Belle gift shop, some new , nice merchandise. If you tour it, look at the details and the thought that went into it....and go back when you have little kids or grandkids !
Our thoughts exactly when we saw it in December. We have older kids. We thought it was all colorful and cute but obviously much better for families with younger children. We do look forward to the mine train being completed, and we did enjoy lunch at BOG.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:37 AM   #53
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlightlessDuck View Post
Nope, you heard wrong. It is much more than that.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:39 AM   #54
laceemouse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
hmmm i dunno...i just know there are people who are terrified of roller coasters. like my mother haha
I don't do extreme thrill rides due to severe motion sickness but I don't expect every ride to be built for me. I also don't understand being scared of any ride at Disney. I hope I will be able to try the mine train ride, I think it will be awesome and loaded with details.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #55
KorieDWnut
Known to be the cranky person to comment under my breath

Quote:
My family just got back from WDW. Sadly I couldn't go along because I am a student and still had classes. Although, I am looking forward to going back to WDW after graduation!! I was really excited to hear about the new fantasyland, but according to my family it was nothing but a big disappointment. Does anyone else feel this way? or is my family just crazy?
A little bit. We went this past December for the unveiling. I think for us, maybe it is because our kids are not little. They are preteens/teens and were bored silly by the little mermaid ride, although I think it must be wonderful to the little ones. I thought they could have done so much more with it, but whatever.

Visually, I think that area is beautiful and I am excited to see an expansion. I will be happy with the Big ride opens but otherwise, I think it is an area we will pass over on our next trip, only because it doesn't appeal to us.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:17 PM   #56
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
My family just got back from WDW. Sadly I couldn't go along because I am a student and still had classes. Although, I am looking forward to going back to WDW after graduation!! I was really excited to hear about the new fantasyland, but according to my family it was nothing but a big disappointment. Does anyone else feel this way? or is my family just crazy?
Oh I thought I WAS THE ONLY ONE THAT FELT THIS WAY!!! I did like the new additions, dont get me wrong- but they made this huge deal about it and it was smaller than expected- really isn't done IMO. It is a dead end by LM and it makes it very cramped and felt BOXED in because of the enormous WALL all the way around the part that isn't done. I just think they should have waited to do the GRAND OPENING when it was DONE. I think it would have made the difference for me. It just seemed under construction still. The wall took away from the wow factor. We really enjoed the new dumbo area- which I didn't expect to be that cute. The rest, just expected more.

2014 CBR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:27 PM   #57
MrsDuck
DIS Veteran

We liked it but weren't 1000% blown away. I thought the area was beautiful and everything was incredibly well done. I just wanted MORE. Because I love Fantasyland.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:38 PM   #58
wdw4rfam
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOOM1001 View Post
Disney just needs to go ahead and either do a California Adventure style entire park rehab to Hollywood Studios adding Star Wars and Cars land themed areas or announce a 5th park to steal some of the thunder from Potter phase 2 at Universal because what's going on over there is putting Disney to shame.
I agree. The technology on the HP ride at IOA has put Disney to shame alone. We went over to Universal 3 days of our 12 day trip last month. (Had only planned 2 days, but everyone voted to go back for the 3erd free day instead of a third day at MK). We loved it, just booked our first non-disney trip in 2014 (Universal Portofino Bay). The crowds were better there (other than HP), and am just really done with having to plan every second of my trips 6 months in advance- soon even rides. Disney needs some crowd control- quit re-doing areas and build a new park to spread these crowds out. We couldn't even walk around this last trip, and our crows were only 5-6.

2014 CBR-11 days**2013-POR 12 days**2012- POR- 9 days**2011- All Star Music-10 days** 2010- POFQ- 10 days** 2009- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2008- All Star Movies- 8 days** 2006- Pop Cent.- 7 days** AllStar Movies 7 days** 2004-Fl Resident....too many to list** 2003-Grosvenor** 2002- All star movies- 5 days

wdw4rfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #59
DOOM1001
DIS Veteran

The truth is at least we're getting a ride that appears to be highly themed and will appeal to a good amount of the visitors.Disney's original plan for the new Fantasyland area did not include the 7 Dwarves mine train coaster,instead there was supposed to be like two more meet and greets with Disney princesses.Eventually they realized what they were building will only appeal to a small percentage of people who are not girls between 4-11 years old.This is why the mine train coaster is opening later as it was not in the original plan.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:26 AM   #60
Schmeck
Funny thing is now my 17 year old naps almost every day and so do I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdw4rfam View Post
I agree. The technology on the HP ride at IOA has put Disney to shame alone. We went over to Universal 3 days of our 12 day trip last month. (Had only planned 2 days, but everyone voted to go back for the 3erd free day instead of a third day at MK). We loved it, just booked our first non-disney trip in 2014 (Universal Portofino Bay). The crowds were better there (other than HP), and am just really done with having to plan every second of my trips 6 months in advance- soon even rides. Disney needs some crowd control- quit re-doing areas and build a new park to spread these crowds out. We couldn't even walk around this last trip, and our crows were only 5-6.
I agree that the technology of WWoHP is amazing, but it is a height requirement attraction, and it has a lot of 'backstage' exposed. The fact that there's a high school and busy street right there is hard to ignore, IMO. They also just refaced an old roller coaster, and threw down tracks to a fairground kiddie coaster. So, all that space and one quasi-well done attraction...

There's more room to walk around IoA because it doesn't attract the crowds like WDW. It's a basic thrill ride park, and not much for the little ones to do in a broad area of the park. One would have to hang around Seuss Landing (which I love) for the majority of the day, and then hike over to 2-3 other little kid attractions. The beauty of WDW is that there is something for all ages in each area, hence the crowds.
Aug '05 - BC Aug '04 - PC, AKL
Oct '02 - AKL, POR May '99 - CBR
May '96 - CBR Dec '80 - offsite
Schmeck is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: