Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 10:02 AM   #136
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by suemom2kay View Post
We thought we were so slick when we made the discovery of the secret path!

It is a very nice walk..... 6 days 6 days 6 days!!!
Where does the path end up near the International Gateway? I looked at Google Earth and can see where it starts near the BC, but I can't see where it ends. It doesn't look like it goes all the way the boat launch. I have a bad knee and after a long hot day in the park, I would prefer to not climb the hill.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
Old 05-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #137
ocalla
DIS Veteran

Boat launch from DTD: if we were to use the boar launch from DTD back to a certain resort, then take bus to Epcot or DHS, which resort boat should we use? Is POR the only one? Or are there others? Which is closer to DTD?
90-Honeymoon Offsite 92-offsite 93-CBR 96 - CBR 97-DXL 2000-ASMo 2000-CBR 2001-Courtyard/DD 2004-Grosvenor 07/10-YC 05/11-BC - CL 05/12 BC 06/13 CSR 07/13 - BC/Poly split 02/14-WL 08/14 - POR/Universal
Me DH DD22 DD17 Maud Marie

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-11-2013, 10:30 AM   #138
maa
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post

Keep in mind that conventional wisdom tells us that free dining isn't really free. The best way to determine this is to run a mock up of all the things you would actually order and eat while on vacation and compare that cost to the total cost you would pay for a stay with "free" dining. Also keep in mind you are paying full rack rate on your room so you have to factor in which is the bigger discount, the room only discount or the dining plan discount.

Just as an example, I know I can order things ala cart on most if not all counter service meals and split things with the other members in my family. On the dining plan you get desserts that are sometimes left uneaten and you would have to pay out of pocket for appetizers (depending on the plan chosen). Another thing that drives me crazy is the buckets of soda that everyone gets on the dining plan and nobody finishes! And that mountain of fries that go in the trash UGH!

The whole comparison is really complicated with having to do the mock up but I've found that even with 3 teen boys it's too much food. The most cost effective discounts are said to be the room only discounts. You can then pay out of pocket for food costs of the actual food that you would eat and purchase park tickets from discount sellers like Undercover Tourist.

Here are some links that will provide more reading and in depth information that hopefully will help you understand all the pro's and cons of the dining plan and free dining. I have to break the links up to get them to appear here so copy/paste them as 1 unit with no spaces to get to the sites I am trying to link to. I don't know why they won't work here on this site so this is my work around.

http: //www .disney tourist blog. com/dining-plan-2013-disney-world-costs/

http: //www .disney tourist blog .com/disney-dining-plan-v-paying-out-pocket/

These are the sites that I have used to help me understand how to get the best discounts for the trip I am planning.

I will say that years ago my parents went to WDW with my aunt and uncle. They did the deluxe dining plan and all they did was EAT! My Mom said that they were so busy running from meal to meal that they hardly had time for the parks. Now my parents really enjoyed all that eating and they didn't mind that it was the focus of their trip. That was they type of trip they wanted to do. So that is one way to do a Disney trip. My kids would rather spend their time at the parks as opposed to being shackled to a dining plan where they had to devote a chunk of time to a sit down meal every day, perhaps twice a day depending on the plan chosen. That is where we are coming from. So the bottom line is that your mileage may vary, depending upon what is important for you and the type of trip you are aiming for.

Those two links above will help you to understand what is involved and help you to decide which direction is best for your family. There is a lot of great info in those links above both pro and con for the dining plan depending on HOW you are going to use it!

Good luck!

~NM

PS. Our family's dining direction is one of the reasons why we like the Captain's Grille. You usually don't need a reservation to get in so we can go on the fly when we are ready to do the big sit down meal. Also, everyone orders what they will actually eat, whether it be the breakfast buffet or a casual dinner. It's a relaxing and quality dining experience and paying out of pocket means we only order what we are actually going to eat. I believe the Captain's Grille is the best kept secret in Disney dining!
Thanks for this info. We have been back and forth about the DDP since we booked! It has been stressing me out! I think we will end up removing it from our reservation and paying out of pocket. When I did the calculations we were close to breaking only if we ordered the most expensive entrees at each of our TS meals. I am a super picky eater so a lot of times I prefer to just get an appetizer or nibble off the kids' plates. This validated that it may not be a good value for us.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:45 AM   #139
vyrg
Lilipépite

Hi

I'd like to know what kind of options is possible when you do the check in on line before arrival in YC ?

Thanks
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 AM   #140
Minnie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousemommy1 View Post
I have. There is a link to my comparisons on page 1 of this thread.
Thank you!!!! This made the decision even harder. We are planning an Aug trip so plan to use the pool a lot so SAB is a huge advantage. But Wishes is my fave fireworks and WL has the great boat ride to MK...
Old 05-11-2013, 11:02 AM   #141
dandydad12
Mouseketeer

I would like to thank you all for your kind words it has been a challenge as I was his primary care giver . I am so looking forward to this vacation . He told me just a couple of weeks before he passed that we were going to see Mickey . He always was so happy to see me wearing anything Disney especially Mickey Mouse .

Old 05-11-2013, 11:21 AM   #142
1coolnini
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post

Thanks for this info. We have been back and forth about the DDP since we booked! It has been stressing me out! I think we will end up removing it from our reservation and paying out of pocket. When I did the calculations we were close to breaking only if we ordered the most expensive entrees at each of our TS meals. I am a super picky eater so a lot of times I prefer to just get an appetizer or nibble off the kids' plates. This validated that it may not be a good value for us.
We (I) debated and debated about the dining plan. I had it on my original reservation but after careful calculations I made a "final" decision to cancel it. WELL, the closer my trip got and the more menus I looked at I decided to add it about a week ago. My reasoning is probably very different than everyone else's but I know my DH will totally freak out at some of the prices of meals. I honestly think the dining plan will end up costing us a little more but it is going to be so worth that money if I don't have to deal with a grumpy DH! This is our first trip, so we will see how this works out. We don't usually drink soda with our meals (water or wine) or eat desserts and I am sure we will order some appetizers, soups and salads but we have some nice meals ($$$) planned and I don't want to deal with my DH bolting from the restaurant as soon as he sees the menu! Ha!

10 day stay May 2013 (BC)
Old 05-11-2013, 11:25 AM   #143
disneymagicgirl
Been there, Done that, Going back!

Well we finally got a room yesterday around 4pm. I checked in at 9:30 moving from YC so it was a very long day at SAB. Never got the text that a room was ready so about 3:30 I went to concierge to upgrade tix and he asked if we were room 15xx. I said, no we still do not have a room. I also said if that is what is assigned can you please find something different, my only request was large balcony and a 1st floor will not work with my little kids. So he looked and all he could find was a 3rd floor WV (our category) but it didn't have a real balcony. Sigh. All day and can't get the one request. Then he calls someone and they suggest that we move a category down to a garden view room and get a refund but it has a balcony. I agreed and we got $750 back. so we head up to our room and the keys don't work. we sit our dirty, tired, exhausted selves in the hall while DH gets the keys changed. Finally get into room and WOW! It is a huge corner room, huge balcony... I will gladly take this room and $750 back over WV any day! S we got settled and hit Epcot around 6pm. Ate Mexican counter service which was ok, and did a few non headliner rides. Then left during Illuminations and watched a few mins of the movie on the beach. Got to bed "early" by Disney standards. Crowds were pretty large (IMHO) but that was expected with the pmemh. We were just too tired to stay past 9pm when they were shooing out the non-WDW resort guests. Will hit Epcot again later this week.

This am we slept in and did Cmc for breakfast. Then the arcade for a bit. Relaxing on the huge balcony now. Heading out to ak from 2-8 to it and RD tomorrow am for DHS. Wll keep you posted.
offsite in 1988,AKL 5/04,POP 6/05,ASMu 12/05 with MVMCP, ASMo 9/06 w/ MNSSHP,4/09 AKL, 9/09 MNSSHP & 7nt E.Carib DCL w/ Tortola, 10/10 Poly w/ MNSSHP, 10/11 POFQ w/ MNSSHP, 5/12 DCL Fantasy W. Carib and AKL/MK, 05/13 BC
Old 05-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #144
vicki_c
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by outahere View Post

Where does the path end up near the International Gateway? I looked at Google Earth and can see where it starts near the BC, but I can't see where it ends. It doesn't look like it goes all the way the boat launch. I have a bad knee and after a long hot day in the park, I would prefer to not climb the hill.
You come out at the end of the hill basically. You still have to go up and down a bit since the path is below the main walkway, but it's much more of a gentle slope than the main walkway.
June 1978 - Poly / Nov 1996 - Yacht Club / Jan 2001 - Poly / Jan/Feb 2004 - Wilderness Lodge / 2004-2006: Animal Kingdom Lodge, Nick Hotel, Caribbean Beach, Port Orleans Riverside, HI Sunspree, Buena Vista Suites, Caribe Royale / Jan 2008 - Poly / June 2008 - Saratoga Springs and Villas @ Wilderness Lodge / Nov 2008 -Boardwalk Villas / Dec 2008 - WL, Beach Club Villas and Beach Club / June 2009 - POFQ and Poly / Jan 2010 - AKV, 4 night DCL & BCV / Nov 2010 - POFQ / April 2011 - SSR / Nov 2011 Swan / Jan 2012 - BC/ April 2012 OKW / April 2014 AoA & AKV
Old 05-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #145
pixarmom
DIS Veteran

Yay for the new thread,Dee!!! I've been following, but things are crazy and haven't been able to post much.

Just wanted to throw in our two cents regarding CL with room discount vs dining plan. We've run all the numbers for so many trips, and consistently find that CL room only works best for us. But it's really important to run the numbers for your specific circumstances, as Ninja and others suggested! Another thought regarding dining - we usually have at least two ADRs per day, but we don't order a ton of food. The dining plan (whether free dining or not) just doesn't work for our dining style. We make ADRs for food quality and dining experience, but we like flexibility in ordering. That means that we're not tied in to a big meal after appetizers in the club lounge. (But we still love having that dinner ADR for the dining experience!)

And finally, I'm going to send out a little cheer for MickeyT - just one week!
Disneyland (x many since 1975), Poly (x many since 1983), BC (x many since 1992), BWI (x3), YC, CR, WL (x2), AKL, POFQ, Dolphin, CSR (x3), CBR, POR-Riverside, All Star Sports, 2011 Disney Dream, 2012 Disney Wonder to Alaska, 2012 MNSSHP, runDisney: 2013 Inaugural Disneyland 10K, 2014 Princess Half Marathon and Cinderella Family 5K

August 2014: Last Minute WDW (ASMu)
January 2015: WDW Marathon and 5K (AKL, GF, BWI!)
August 2015: DL Half Marathon!
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM   #146
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocalla View Post
Boat launch from DTD: if we were to use the boar launch from DTD back to a certain resort, then take bus to Epcot or DHS, which resort boat should we use? Is POR the only one? Or are there others? Which is closer to DTD?
Not sure if this has been answered already or not, but the boat will stop at POFQ first.
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Old 05-11-2013, 12:47 PM   #147
Ninja Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel girl 1975 View Post
Not sure if this has been answered already or not, but the boat will stop at POFQ first.
If you take the boat loop that runs from DTD to POFQ and then Port Orleans Riverside then yes the boat always stops at POFQ first.

On the boat dock from DTD there are different routes to Key West and Saratoga Springs, sort of like what you would find with the different bus routes at a Disney park. The BUS routes (not boat) at Saratoga Springs and Key West are kind of wonky with additional "internal" bus stops so the most efficient way to do the Boat to resort then Bus to park is via Port Orleans FRENCH Quarter.

That that being said, usually in the mid day hours the BUS goes from POFQ TO POR and does the internal bus route that POR has. So it's the time of day and the luck of the draw as to whether the BUS to the parks at POFQ goes right to the park or takes the detour and goes to POR as well.

Either way the detour to POR doesn't take that long and you will more than likely have first crack at a seat on the bus. I can't speak of the conniptions that you would encounter if you took the boat to say, Saratoga Springs, and then got on the bus. I only know the POFQ/POR bus conniptions!

Hope that helps!

~NM
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #148
333disneymom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by maa View Post

If you like lighter meals, I think you are better off without the dining plan. Also, if your numbers are close and one person doesn't feel well at any meal, you might actually lose money. We did the dining plan in December, as it always worked to our benefit. That visit, however, every member of my family was ill and we wound up using a whole credit sometimes just for a bowl of rice and water. I can no longer recommend it when the "value" is so close to what people would actually pay, and if one meal doesn't go as planned, you could be looking at a loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandydad12 View Post
I would like to thank you all for your kind words it has been a challenge as I was his primary care giver . I am so looking forward to this vacation . He told me just a couple of weeks before he passed that we were going to see Mickey . He always was so happy to see me wearing anything Disney especially Mickey Mouse .
So sorry for your loss.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards
Old 05-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #149
Tarheel girl 1975
Supposed Former Fastpass Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Mom View Post

If you take the boat loop that runs from DTD to POFQ and then Port Orleans Riverside then yes the boat always stops at POFQ first.

On the boat dock from DTD there are different routes to Key West and Saratoga Springs, sort of like what you would find with the different bus routes at a Disney park. The BUS routes (not boat) at Saratoga Springs and Key West are kind of wonky with additional "internal" bus stops so the most efficient way to do the Boat to resort then Bus to park is via Port Orleans FRENCH Quarter.

That that being said, usually in the mid day hours the BUS goes from POFQ TO POR and does the internal bus route that POR has. So it's the time of day and the luck of the draw as to whether the BUS to the parks at POFQ goes right to the park or takes the detour and goes to POR as well.

Either way the detour to POR doesn't take that long and you will more than likely have first crack at a seat on the bus. I can't speak of the conniptions that you would encounter if you took the boat to say, Saratoga Springs, and then got on the bus. I only know the POFQ/POR bus conniptions!

Hope that helps!

~NM
Plus you could stop at the food court at POFQ for beignets. :-)
Previous Trips: 1990 Disneyland Hotel, 1991 Magic Music Days, 1996 Magic Music Days, Oct 2008 POP, May 2009 Poly, Sept. 2009 BWI, January 2011 CBR, Sept/Oct 2012 POR, Sept/Oct 2013 Beach Club Upcoming Trips: Sept/Oct 2014 POFQ and YC
Old 05-11-2013, 12:53 PM   #150
outahere

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicki_c View Post
You come out at the end of the hill basically. You still have to go up and down a bit since the path is below the main walkway, but it's much more of a gentle slope than the main walkway.
Thanks for the info. Now all I have to do is remember to take it the next time we're there.

Disney Magic - April, 2004 / EB Panama Canal crossing - August, 2005 / Thanksgiving, 2006 / April, 2009 / February, 2011 / March, 2014
Disney Wonder - September, 2002 / April, 2007 / April, 2008 / Thanksgiving, 2009 / April, 2010
Disney Dream - April, 2011 / August, 2012 / February, 2014
Polynesian CL - August, 2004 / April, 2010 / August, 2010 / October, 2013
Yacht Club CL - August, 2011 / April, 2012 / August, 2012 / August, 2013 / April, 2014 / June, 2014
Grand Floridian Sugar Loaf CL - February, 2013
Wilderness Lodge CL - December, 2013
OKW - February, 2012 / June, 2013
VWL - August, 2006
WDW - offsite, more times than I can count since 1978
S/S Norway - 1984, 1985, 1991
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August, 2007
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: