Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
sachilles
Mouseketeer

I don't think your are stupid, nor did I write or imply that.
Simply stated, if they cared more about lining their pockets, than re-investing in the company, they'd be a little more understated about their earnings.
Announcements like this are trying to bolster consumer confidence and reassure folks things are going well, so that they considering making a visit.
Combined with having to sell space at downtown disney, you need people to think you are successful. I think Disney sees this a very encouraging sign, that future growth can be supported.

I can understand you don't want your business to look greedy, but what is line between greedy and not greedy? 10% increase isn't anything to sneeze at but I don't think it shows greed.

I do think customer return rates play a large part in peoples perception of the place. I think that those that return annually or even more frequently expect a bit more than is realistic. Someone that goes once every other year or so, views the place much differently. Somebody who's first visit is during a busy time is very likely to have a different experience if the visit was during an off peak time.

My opinion, is I don't see the greed in this announcement, nor from this company. I'm not snowed into thinking the company is perfect by any means, but i'm not seeing the business greed that has folks bent out of shape.
I'm not a disney apologist. I can't afford to go as much as I'd like, my recent visit was the first of my adult life at 39. I'd enjoy going more often, but our vacation priorities vary too much. There is a lot of competition out there for the vacation dollar.
sachilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #17
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonka's Skipper View Post
Hi Dr. , I disagree, this is not just WDW its all of Disney parks. In the last 2 years or so they have totally redone California adventure, the star is Car lands, which is bring piles guests to the park and driving up attendance.

New overseas parks.

WDW has Fantasy land and plans for avatar, likely cars land and of course Star Wars.........new resorts.........DVC and the rebuild of DTD. They are doing a lot!

I grant you more needs to be done faster in WDW.

Uni, they are building to the thrill ride market which is limited and always will be. Disney builds to the broad market of everyone. Over all their product is just so much better.

Yes they did a wonderful job on Hairy Potter( except for layout) the question is how long with harry potter last. ..No new books, no new movies!......Add to that, the fact you can buy Hairy Potter DVD's in stores for $5.00 or less, does not lead one believe its popularity will continue as high levels.

As to the profits, all the parks in Orlando and the country in general have has increases in profit..............Se world 300%...........6 flags up, all because the economy is plain better.

Pay scales are what pay scales are, in all parks, Companies all pay what the market will bear.

It easy to point at Disney......but to be honest about it, if your worried about low pay...one has to point at all the companies.

AKK
~Tonka, well done! This is a fabulous post! But, the underlined in the aforementioned comment is my bone of contention with Disney. I believe we are in agreement, for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagfanjosh3252 View Post
While I will always be a Disney fan. With the profits, they really need to step up their game. Look at what Universal is doing with HP and Transformers and everything else. HP is truly immersive. New Fantasyland no where near it. Lately it seems that Disney is just coasting and Universal is putting the foot on the pedal. I truly hope Disney will announce something grand like Star Wars Land or even final plans for AvatarLand.
~Great post! With this news, I have to wonder if Disney has any incentive left to continue on with building. I really don't know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
Disney doesn't have to do what Universal is doing, this article just kind of proves it. Disney can continue to coast or adding attractions that aren't mind blowing like Universal is, yet people will still go.

As long as attendance is still up, Disney will continue to do the least they can and try to get every penny out of their guest. It's no longer about Customer Service, it's all about bottom line now.
~Great post! I totally agree. Disney wants to coast and it shows, they have adopted a reactive approach to WDW instead of proactive. Disney is acting like they're moving the moon & stars with this mine train. I am so happy with this Universal news -- 2014 will be a very exciting year!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Good post. All great points.

Everyone really needs to stop comparing US and Disney. Honestly, if Disney were not in Florida none of the other parks would nearly as successful as they are. Disney is a vacation spot. You can spend 2 weeks and still have not done everything. US is an amusement park. The rides and attractions at US are well done and yes, they are putting in a great effort. But lets be honest. How many families are going to US for a week or more each year? Not nearly as many as Disney and that doesn't even include the DVC members that are there all the time.

Good news that the profits are there. Please be assured that a goo chunk of those profits are needed and will be used to continue updating and expanding the options at the parks. I still think the cost is reasonable for what my family gets.
~Great post! But, I will always compare WDW to Universal -- they are rivals and "answer back" to each other in many quirky ways such as Butter Beer vs Lefrou's Brew, it has always been this way. We may not have four parks at WDW to enjoy today if it weren't for Universal coming along to add some spark. Of course, this is a win-win for all theme park lovers.

~Also, Universal is not just an "amusement park" -- it's not like Cedar Point. They are well on their way to becoming to world class destination. There's a new resort on the way, and the new expansion boasts a brand new Hogwarts Express Train to facilitate transport -- bridging the gap between both parks. It's true that I won't spend an entire week there, but I look forward to staying onsite at Universal for a few days.

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 06:29 AM   #18
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
This is what I see reading this article:

Better attendance = Less discounts for me.

I am beginning to suspect we won't be seeing the free DDP for Oct-Dec this year.
You and me are reading the same thing, and it is all at this moment that I care about.
Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
uccats97
Mouseketeer

Actually, free dining for Oct-Dec was emailed out a few days ago to certain guests in the form of a pin code.
2001 DL/CA offsite, 2002 WDW offsite, 2003 WDW offsite, 2005 WDW offsite, 2007 WDW offsite, 2009 WDW offsite (Spring), 2009 WDW SSR (July), 2010 WDW ASMovies, 2011 WDW offsite (June), 2011 WDW, MVMCP Doubletree DTD (December), 2012 WDW offsite (June), 2012 DL/CA, minus the kids, offsite (December), 2013 WDW Princess Half Marathon weekend ASMusic (Feb), 2013 WDW AoA Cars Suite (June), 2014 WDW Pop Century Mother/Daughter trip (March/April), 2014 WDW Pop Century Birthday Surprise (July), 2014 WDW POR Tower of Terror 10 Miler (October)
uccats97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post

Disney doesn't have to do what Universal is doing, this article just kind of proves it. Disney can continue to coast or adding attractions that aren't mind blowing like Universal is, yet people will still go.

As long as attendance is still up, Disney will continue to do the least they can and try to get every penny out of their guest. It's no longer about Customer Service, it's all about bottom line now.
Lol. They do have to answer to Universal. Like someone said. They are competitors. Why would I keep going to one place where it adds nothing new, yet everything keeps going up in price, when the other place has newer attractions and even better discounts? I'm an AP holder to both parks. But let's say I wasn't. I can spend $100 for two days at Universal. Or I can spend $150 for two days at Disney. While Disney has done what in the past 5 years? Refurbished Test Track, added a clone of a ride in DCA with Little Mermaid, put a second Dumbo Spinner and jazzed Story Time With Belle up and are adding another slightly innovative coaster with the Mine Train. Universal has added (IMO) the BEST themed area anywhere with Harry Potter, about to open up a 2nd land which I'm sure will be equally immersive, added a clone of a FANTASTIC ride with Transfomers and are opening up a whole Springfield area (not to mention the ride which is right at the 5 year mark) and Rip Ride Rockit and Despicable Me.

Disney is coasting. Going by what they had been known before. Unless they do somehow grand soon, they will be playing catch up with Universal.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:31 PM   #21
nataliej_vk
Mouseketeer

I've been to both parks but WDW is very different from US. US is a park with rides where as I view Disney as an experience with rides. At Disney you can take a true vacation and shut out the chaotic world for a bit. Live a few days at a more "sleepy" rate(though still running around with your head cut off heheh) disney offers a whole package. For me as a single mom I adore that when I get on the plan for Orlando I do not have anything to worry about. Transportation, hotel and food is taken care of. I know my child will b entertained as well as myself. US I feel (and did) see everything in 2 days Disney after 3-5 day trips I still havnt seem it all. US has thrill rides but for someone who literally has an allergic reaction to heights loves that at Disney I get stories, rides and thrills for my daredevil little one where as at US I'd have spotty transport and less themed hotels. I pay the money for a total vacation. Package and piece of mind and I believe that's what most family's love over all the coasters at US
Dec 2012 - Disney Dream/Port Orleans - Riverside
Sept 2013 - Port Orleans - French Quarter
2014 - Who Knows the world is my oyster!
Nothing Ventured nothing Gain - so give it a shot it may be worth it!
nataliej_vk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #22
smak1026
Earning My Ears

We are going twice this year! What an amazing place.
smak1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #23
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Disney is coasting. Going by what they had been known before. Unless they do somehow grand soon, they will be playing catch up with Universal.
LOL!!!

I didn't know this was the comedy forum!
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 PM   #24
buckeev
RedNeck Mouseketeer

"Disney reported lesser growth at its international parks, thanks to higher guest spending at Disneyland Paris and larger crowds at Hong Kong Disneyland. ___"

Sorry..I guess I'm not "bizness savvy"...but can someone explain that statement?

Personally, I attribute the great WDW Corp. profits in the US to the obviously rebounding US economy.

US/Comcast is making it hand-over-fist too, so it's not just a Diz thang.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #25
jade1
If your lucky enough to live on the lake, your lucky enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachilles View Post
Simply stated, if they cared more about lining their pockets, than re-investing in the company,
No unit performed better for Disney than its parks division, where Disney has plowed close to $6 billion into new projects over the last few years.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
jagfanjosh3252
#1 fan of the Jacksonville Jaguars

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post

LOL!!!

I didn't know this was the comedy forum!
Sorry. How is that funny? Pray tell
Old 05-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #27
DizFanSLD
Mouseketeer

Not to jump into an argument, but I'm just curious. If all four Disney parks had major expansion construction going on at the same time for months, or even years, wouldn't that tend to annoy both frequent and infrequent guests even more than having parks that need some expansion?

I totally get that there are some areas that are in extreme need of updates (Indiana Jones at DHS sorta leaps to mind!), but I know that I would be hacked if I spent all of my money on a Disney trip and had construction walls up all around me at all four parks. They are in the last stages of New Fantasyland, and assuming it is still happening, Avatarland starting soon at AK. I would think that it makes more sense to finish up at MK before starting on a major project at either DHS or Epcot.

I am only able to afford a Disney trip once every two years, so I am always hoping for minimal construction and upheaval during my trips. Maybe I would feel differently if I could go several times a year like many of the folks here.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 05-12-2013, 12:02 AM   #28
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sorry. How is that funny? Pray tell
Universal will never surpass Disney, so Disney will never be playing catch-up.

Is the shine already off of HP the original? Or is Universal just not a true destination, only a side excursion to a WDW vacation?

Disney parks was up 73% last quarter while Universal was up 12%. That widens a gap that was already very very large.

I think it might be even funnier that you weren't just trying to be funny when you said Disney will be playing catchup to Universal if Disney doesn't do something grand soon.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #29
lego606
Mouseketeer

Uh.... that's Tokyo Disneyland's castle.
Old 05-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #30
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

The problem is there is NO breakdown of those numbers of Anaheim vs Orlando....most of that increase was probably in Anaheim.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: