Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #16
RedHeadedFairy
DIS Veteran

Why oh WHY did they "unmess" her?? ... I LOVED her wild & free look. I loved her unruly hair & tomboyish attitude.

Did they really have to make her THINNER & accentuate her hips/make her curvy so much????

Awesome Disney, thanks.

This was a "Princess" that I previously considered worthy of my DD's time as a role model. Now I have to explain why Disney felt it necessary for her to be pretty, thin & glittery in order to qualify as an official princess.

I'm SO disappointed. NOT a fan of this change.
Old 05-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #17
AquaDame
Are we there yet?

Wait just a moment - I have an honest question. Why would putting on a prettier dress make her any less of a tomboy? If I put on a belt and show off my shoulders does that CHANGE WHO I AM? Aren't WE being hypocritical here? Judging by looks which we don't want anyone to do? She did not appreciate the dress her mother made her wear because it was too confining - even her hair was all pinned up and it went all the way up her neck and was tight and UGH! This dress looks much comfier! Her hair is still free and wild and maybe less frizzy but we are drawing by hand here so its likely a choice based on whether or not they can pull off frizz on every single silk screen they are about to mass produce. They didn't release a cartoon with her being a prissy little wedding dreamer, so I don't really have a problem with it. She has her bow and is ready to kick your *** if you insult her or her family still, it changes NOTHING.

Sources: Me. I am a tomboy who regularly gets guff when I *gasp* wear a skirt to work. I wear what I want, when I want and it doesn't change me!
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #18
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

You know - I think everyone is WAAAAYYYYY over-reacting to a cartoon character. One thing you have to remember is one of the renderings is the 3-D pixar rendering, while the other drawing is a 2-D cartoon drawing. It is quite possible the flyaway hair and the cut of the dress just didn't translate to looking good when converting from 3-D to 2-D.

I also think that it's probably better that we teach our daughters about self-worth and self-esteem based on THEIR/OUR behaviors and actions and not about whether a cartoon character has messy hair or a bit more glitter on her dress.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"
skier_pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #19
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I'm not seeing what the fuss is about.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
IheartRapunzel
Earning My Ears

what was wrong with the original Merida?
IheartRapunzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:03 PM   #21
jrtoastyman
Purveyor of Fine Latex Products

Quote:
Originally Posted by skier_pete View Post
I guess I don't get where showing your shoulder is "skanky". I guess technically Jasmine's original outfit would be considered that, while the one pictured has a much higher waist than she used to have.

For the most part all the Princesses pictured are covered from their neckline to their feet.
This, exactly. Disney princesses have (largely) always been very chaste in their attire, with very little skin showing, and I don't think that the addition of a bare shoulder (gasp!) really changes that. Even Jasmine and Ariel, who wear less clothing just by the nature of their characters, aren't sexed up at all. All of these new looks still leave most of the princesses dressed far more conservatively than most of the populace -- you'd see more skin just about anywhere. You can't even see their ankles for Pete's sake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Experiment113 View Post
The new look just doesn't suit Merida. From the impression I got from the movie, it seemed like she didn't want to dress up in fancy clothes. The new pics show a more princessey Merida when she is a kinda more of a tomboy.
Now this, I agree with. That Merida was not a fan of the glam was one of the central components of her character. I don't think it's a coincidence that she began to rip through her formal gown as she started showing the guys what was what with the bow and arrow in the movie -- to the contrary, it was highly symbolic of her wanting to shed the formality of the whole process. With that in mind, a "traditional" princess gown doesn't really befit her. Certainly doesn't look skanky, though.

Owner since June 2011

Upcoming: BLT (Jan 2015) - DLR (July 2014)
DLR (May 2014) - BLT (Dec 2013) - Dolphin (May 2013) - BLT (Jan 2013) - BLT (Jan 2012) - Polynesian (June 2011 + UO/IOA) - Swan (Jan 2007) - Port Orleans French Quarter (Dec 1993) - Off-site (1986)

Last edited by jrtoastyman; 05-10-2013 at 09:12 AM.
jrtoastyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
o0quirkygirl0o
just a little mischievous

I think she looked better before. More natural and free. Those are the traits I really responded to in her character.

To be fair, I haven't liked any of the other makeovers either. But, I feel like that's more to do with the fact that I don't enjoy the drawing style of the new images. I'm not opposed to redrawing the characters; I just think it could be done with more finesse and style. (And, less glitter.)

Me DH
o0quirkygirl0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:26 PM   #23
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Pocahontas' earrings appear to be feathers. While I know practically nothing about the American Indian culture, I think that feathers are frequently used. As to Mulan's 'sparkles', it seems to me that her dress merely has the shimmer that a silk dress would typically have.

While I admit that I haven't sat through that movie a thousand times with my daughter, so I am not an 'expert' on the character, isn't her dress basically the same as in the movie except for the scandalous shoulders? Also, it seems that the wild hair, bow, and quiver still send the 'tomboy' message.
I meant that I have never seen Pocahontas wear earrings before and they threw me off in that picture. Reagardless of American Indian culture or not, she never wore them in either of her movies and I was not expecting to see them. Simple as that. And as to Mulan it looks like sparkles to me, not "shimmer" but to each his own. I am happy Merida is officially becoming a princess, but I agree with the others that she was more of a tomboy and that's why I love her so much!

Edited to add: I never said anything about the scandalous shoulders. Thanks

Last edited by monorailrabbit; 05-09-2013 at 07:31 PM.
monorailrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #24
Colleen27
DIS Veteran

I hate the new look. They basically took away everything that was cool about the character - she was a tomboy, not curvy or Barbie-perfect, and now she looks just like the Irish Princess Barbie I had as a kid. I don't think the pic upthread does the changes justice - you don't really see, from that angle, how they slimmed down her waist and plumped up her chest in addition to de-frizzing her hair, slapping some makeup on her, and coating her dress in "bling". None of the other makeovers have bothered me, but the others just changed details - looser hair on Belle, different bow on Snow White, earrings on Pocahontas. In fact, as a mom who sews for her girls I like some of the new textures and sparkle that the makeovers have added. But this is the first one that has really changed the character's look in a significant way, and it seems to roll back all the good things Disney did by creating a self-sufficient princess who had a realistic body type and didn't need a prince to live happily ever after in the end.

Tickerless once more...Kid-free trip on hold until fall 2014
How a Year Off Became a Year of Disney Magic! PTR
My Training Blog - From Fluffy to Fit: A Pooh Sized Runner's Quest to Run Disney
Colleen27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:31 PM   #25
dadddio
DIS Veteran

I guess that I'm not seeing what you are seeing. To my eye, she looks exactly the same except that her shoulders show, she has a big fat belt, and there's some embellishment around the bottom of her dress.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #26
*NikkiBell*
The WDW Merchandise Walking Bible

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
I guess that I'm not seeing what you are seeing. To my eye, she looks exactly the same except that her shoulders show, she has a big fat belt, and there's some embellishment around the bottom of her dress.
I agree 100%!

disboards.com/blog.wdwinfo.com
Follow Me on Twitter

2011 - GC, Swan 2010 - AKLV
2009 - AKLV, DxDP/OKW, DDP 2008 - SSR, PFTS, MNSSHP/AKLV, 1st DVC Trip, DxDP 2007 - PC, MNSSHP 2006-7 - POFQ, Premium DP 2006 - PC 2005 - POFQ, Premium DP 2004 - PC, Silver Plan 1998 - ASMu 1997-94 - Off-Site
*NikkiBell* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:54 PM   #27
RellaSprinkles
Earning My Ears

Wow.. why would they do that?
She looks so different.. I definitely preferred the original Merida.
Jan 2013: Art of Animation-Cars family suite **Mar 2012: ASMovies and WL ** Jan 2011: ASMovies ** May 2010: FW Cabin ** Dec 2009: Pop Century **Jan 2009: ASMovies and POR ** Dec 2007: ASMusic/ASMovies ** Jan 2007: ASMovies
RellaSprinkles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:10 AM   #28
WickedDreamer
Mouseketeer

Um, what is Disney's problem??

Who is seriously thinking this is a great idea to go and change the original costumes of the Princesses, and now even their actually facial features, most of them look like they have been sucked and tucked.

Now Merida has even been changed and made to look like a Barbie Doll, um im sorry Disney but I don't remember Merida wanting to dress up in a sparkly dress, wake up every morning and de frizz her hair and then go riding in the woods shooting bows? Maybe I missed that part of the movie, or it's going to be in the sequel? Why change a character already when her movie just came out last year, and was clearly loved by everyone for being DIFFERENT, a Tomboy who didn't need a man, and who didn't NEED to wear a sparkly dress.

Just because she is now an OFFICIAL princess, doesn't mean she needs to sparkle and be made to look thinner, what kind of message does this send to girls now? She was suppose to be a role model for being a confident young girl who was care free, not a thin Barbie doll look a like wannabe.
Twitter:WickedDreamer
WickedDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:42 AM   #29
dadddio
DIS Veteran

You guys realize that all they have done is draw her in the same style as the other princesses and canonize the in-park dress, right?
Old 05-11-2013, 10:35 AM   #30
phoebusII
Mouseketeer

The new Merida looks 10 years older. While I like the celtic knotwork around the hem of her dress, that is the dress she hated and tore when she competed for her own hand in the archery competition. Disney sacrificed strength and self-sufficiency when they stuffed Merida into a princess gown.
pre 1980-three times off property, 1988-off property,10/97-CBR, 7/01-Holiday Inn, 11-12/01-CSR, 5/02 - ASMu, 4/16/06-4/24/06 Pop Century, 7/06 AS Sports, 7/10 Disneyland HoJo, 8/11 POFQ, 6/12 ASMu, 6/13 Pop Century
Looking forward to: 12/14 trip.
phoebusII is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: