Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
sazzifrazz
Mouseketeer

I didn't really care for Boma...will I not like Sanaa?

I love the decor of Boma but I just didn't really love the food. My father loves it so I was wondering if Sanaa would be a good compromise. Sanaa looks like a great atmosphere.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:11 PM   #2
brertoad
DIS Veteran

Boma has a lot of selection, Sanaa has less to choose from, you can check out the menu online. Sanaa serves Indian style food and it's more spicy. Samosas, curry, tandoori meats, naan bread, etc. Do you and your dad like Indian food?

Me & DH
brertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
DisneyStarWisher
Love My DVC!!!

My family also doesn't like Boma. We were afraid to try Sanaa but tried it anyway. I have to say I liked it better than Boma, but it's not one of my favorites. The rest of my family would be ok with not going back. I still say you should try it. You will never know if you like it or not if you don't.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

I think it depends on what it is about Boma that you don't like. The spices are similar, but Indian food registers as less sweet than the African spices used at Boma.

I say give Sanaa a try. I bet you'll like the naan and the tandoori chicken or shrimp just fine

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
jwfla422
DIS Veteran/Philly Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuteAndFluffy View Post
I think it depends on what it is about Boma that you don't like. The spices are similar, but Indian food registers as less sweet than the African spices used at Boma.

I say give Sanaa a try. I bet you'll like the naan and the tandoori chicken or shrimp just fine
Just be aware that the tandoori chicken is dark meat chicken. I know some people don't have a preference but I do and I don't like dark meat and I was not told it was dark meat and that's what I got, so......the best part of our meal was the Naan bread but I could do without the excess oil on it. We didn't care for Sanaa but most people love it. We like Jiko and found Boma to be "ok"...I think we like African food better than Indian...
Old 05-10-2013, 01:00 AM   #6
dixonsontour
DIS Veteran

We've been to boma twice and weren't wowed - found the food to be sweet not spicy.

We went to Sanaa in October and had a fantastic meal - I did a review with lots of pictures in my dixons go deluxe dining review - link in my signature. Sanaa review was on our second to last day.
20ish trips to USA 1997 onwards including All Star Movies Dec 2009 with DDP, OKW Oct 2010 with DDP, Floridays Resort Oct 2011, Bahama Bay resort May 2012, OKW Oct 2012 with DxDDP, All Star Movies Oct 2013 with DDP

DH 39 Me 39 DD 8

Perfectly Princess Tea Party Review Disney Dining 2010 Review
Dining on a budget - $100 a day with coupons All new Dining on a Budget of $100 May 2012
Dixons go Deluxe Oct/Nov 12
dixonsontour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:08 AM   #7
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

I think a better compromise might be Tusker House for lunch. It's in AK theme park and has characters so there's food for kids and a range of adult palettes. Boma is one of our favorites and I would take TH as a compromise if I was with people who really didn't like Boma.

Sanaa is Indian food. I haven't eaten there, but I don't view it as a substitute for Boma.

You can also pick up hummus, salads, zebra domes and a few other goodies from Boma for your dad at The Mara in AKL, if that helps.
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #8
everythingALICE
I can't explain myself, I'm afraid, Sir, because I'm not myself you see.

As others have mentioned, the spices used at Boma are sweeter than those used at Sanaa. The food at Sanaa is more Indian-inspired (not sure I would exactly call it Indian food), and definitely have different flavor profiles. I did not find the food at Sanaa to be spicy, but if it's a concern you can always let your server know.

I brought my mom (who would never, ever eat anything resembling Indian food) to Sanaa. She got tomato soup and the steak dish, which was pretty plain, and loved it. So I think it accommodates varying tastes.

everythingALICE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Disnut4925
Mouseketeer

We do like Boma but think the food at Sanaa is much better!! LOVE Sanaa! What everyone has said is correct, it's Indian-inspired so if you like that type of food you'll be fine.
Disnut4925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:59 AM   #10
tinkerhon
DIS Veteran

Absolutely LOVE "Sanaa" !!! Give it a shot !!!
tinkerhon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:51 PM   #11
sazzifrazz
Mouseketeer

I keep reading raves about butter chicken...what is in that sauce?
Old 05-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #12
TheRustyScupper
Coordinator: GKTW. Volunteer: Kiwanis & SCORE. Board Member: Make-A-Wish. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty Good Sailing Captain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sazzifrazz View Post
I keep reading raves about butter chicken...what is in that sauce?
curry.
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:02 PM   #13
CuteAndFluffy
DIS Veteran

Location: Second Cornfield to the Right and Straight on 'til Morning

I haven't had the butter chicken at Sanaa, but usually its a smooth and creamy tomato, onion, and heavy cream sauce with toasted spices (a curry blend). Often it's garlic, ginger, coriander, cumin, and turmeric. (Plus or minus a few spices depending on the blend)

--A
CuteAndFluffy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: