Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip - UPDATED 6/5

First of all, WELCOME to my trip report!

As the title suggests, this was a girls-only trip! My mom and I left my older brother behind and travelled to Disney World together. We've had a tough couple of years, but we overcame them and are looking forward to brighter times, so this trip was meant to celebrate that.

Time for some INTRODUCTIONS!

First there's me. I'm 20. I'm currently a film student about to go into my last year of undergrad university studies. I've been a Disney fan since birth basically. This is what I look like:

Then there's my mom.

She's honestly the best person in the whole world. Everyone may say that about their moms, but I really mean it. There's nobody better.

Now, on to the trip report!

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Turing 21 With Mickey - A Father/Daughter August '13 PTR

No Princes Allowed! - A Mother-Daughter Trip

Last edited by rebeccaariel; 06-05-2013 at 10:13 PM.
rebeccaariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:06 PM   #2
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Arrival Day - Downtown Disney and Yeehaw Bob

Day 1 - Epcot and Fantasmic

Day 2 - DHS

Day 3 - Animal Kingdom and Illuminations

Day 4 - Magic Kingdom and Boma

Day 4 - The Dark Side

2000 - Dixie Landings, 2012 - Pop Century, 2013 - Port Orleans: Riverside and BoardWalk Inn

Last edited by rebeccaariel; 06-05-2013 at 09:56 PM.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #3
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

ARRIVAL DAY

So our arrival day began very early! We left for the airport at 5 am and got to Orlando at about 11 am. It was lunch when we arrived at Port Orleans Riverside.

We had booked a garden view room and were shocked when we opened the door to find this:

A Royal Room! It really is gorgeous, pictures don't do it justice. We had an awesome location in Parterre Place, close to the South Depot and the food court. We were on the top floor too, which we prefer, because it tends to be quieter.

We arrived, settled in, then got on the boat for Downtown Disney. I wouldn't take the boat every time, because it is a lengthy trip, but it was a gorgeous day and we both really enjoyed the boat ride.

We got to Downtown Disney, which I've only been to once, and briefly, and I couldn't believe how huge it is! There's essentially everything you could want there: food, shopping, entertainment of all kinds. My mom and I particularly enjoyed the giant LEGO statues.

We wandered around, got some souvenir shopping done, and had a midday meal at Wolfgang Puck Express. I cannot recommend this place enough! It was so delicious. I had the mac and cheese, and it was real mac and cheese. The portion was a bit too large for me but it was delicious. I want some right now...It's a really good use of a quick service dining credit.

I had the key lime pie for dessert. Mmmmmmmmmm so good.

After a lovely afternoon, we took the bus back to POR and relaxed for a little. I took a nap and my mom went outside and read her book. Very nice. We weren't really hungry for dinner because of our massive Wolfgang Puck meal earlier so we just grabbed a snack and watched Yeehaw Bob. He is FABULOUS! Definitely see him if you get the chance. He's entertaining and hilarious. He really gets everyone involved in his show. Then we went to bed and prepared for our first day in the parks........

Last edited by rebeccaariel; 05-10-2013 at 10:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

Hey! You are back! And what an amazing 1st day already with the upgrade! The room looks beautiful!!
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | OCT 15
ME(28)and DS(4)
Sept 14 TRSept14 Video

Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
leshunlenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

DAY 1 - EPCOT AND FANTASMIC

So our first day in the parks was an Epcot day, and then a park hop over to DHS for Fantasmic! The weather was awesome, and we got a ton done. Crowds were very low.

I had a really awesome meet and greet with Mickey and Minnie and Pluto at the Character Spot, but Minnie was my favourite, for obvious reasons.

We then had lunch at Sunshine Seasons, which is definitely the best quick service at Epcot. I had the sweet and sour chicken. Mmmmmmm.....

I also found this Hidden Mickey in the Seas pavilion! So cute!

We had dinner at Via Napoli. It was amazing. We each got a different kind of pizza, but both were fantastic. I got the Quattro Formaggi, and my mom got the Carciofi. I would highly recommend both those options. My mom got the tiramisu for dessert, and I got the gelato frizzante, which is basically like an ice cream float but with gelato and Italian soda. It was delicious. If you get the chance to eat at Via Napoli, definitely do it, I was really impressed. Also our server was really nice (and cute), so that didn't hurt.

After Via Napoli we headed over to DHS to watch Fantasmic. I really enjoy this show, it's gorgeous.

And that was our first day! More to come...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
wiigirl
DIS Veteran

Great pics!
Old 05-14-2013, 02:16 PM   #7
DisneyKid4Life
DIS Veteran

I saw your link in the April sticky so I had to subscribe seeing as you were in Disney for almost the exact same days!
DisneyKid4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:58 PM   #8
saintstickets
DIS Veteran

I'm in! Great start!!

DL - 1967 | WDW - 1973 (Orlando) | WDW - 1980 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1985 (Kissimmee) | WDW - 1997 (Contemporary) | WDW - 2007 (Old Key West)
DVC - May2010 - OKW | Nov-Dec2010 - AKV/BWV | May2012 - BLT/VWL | Sep2012 - Aulani (30th anniversary) | Dec2012 - Aulani (DD honeymoon) | Oct2013 - BCV | Jun2014 - BWV | Oct2014 - DCL/BCV | Aug2015 - DCL Alaska | Dec2015 - BWV

The "Don't mess with the CMs/take less photos TR" Jun14 @ BWV
Oct13-BCV - MNSSHP, F&W, Wild Africa Trek
Sep12-Aulani - Sharks, horses, a submarine scooter, luau & Mickey
May12-BLT/VWL - Don't tell Mickey! It's NOT a bug's life! That's a dolphin's WHAT? Where's the ER? Is that a body? Seaworld, Discovery Cove, IoA, Space Center
Nov/Dec10-AKV/BWV - Backstage Magic Tour; V&A; Lots of pics and video
May10-OKW - DDP cost analysis; Wishes Dessert Party; Fantasmic
saintstickets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
IheartDDuck
DIS Veteran

I'm in. I love Mother / Daughter TR's. I adore traveling with my Mom, she's also my favorite person in the world.

Follow me on Instagram: @keep_calm_love_disney
Follow me on Twitter: @disney_voss
Danielle

In progress TRs:
My Fork and I Are Friends - Nov 14 TR
They Don't Eat Hash Browns in Princessland - May 14 TR
Completed TRs:
Jan 14 TR July.13 Apr. 13
Nov.12 July.12 Jan.12 Nov. '11 July '11 Feb. '11 Nov. 10 and Jan. 11 Oct. '09.
IheartDDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
MinnieJay
Mouseketeer

Your outfit in the pictures with Minnie is so cute! Love it!
Old 05-14-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
leshunlenese
DIS Veteran

I was thinking the same that I love that Minnie shirt. Im not skinny enough for that but it looks great on you
1989 first visit off site + several family trips as a child | 1997 AS Sp | 2000 8th grade band trip/offsite |2004 ASM| 2007*Walt Disney College Program- Chatham Square*| 2008 AARC congress at WDW | 2009 ASMo|OCT 2010 POP..1st MNSSHP/DS 1st visit and birthday | Dec 10 POLY |May/June 11 POP |AUG 11 marriott village |Dec 2011 graduation celebration @AKV-Jambo | FEB 13 dolphin | May 13 POP |Sept 13 Yacht club | Nov 13 POFQ | May 14 Disney dream | Sept 14 Assp | OCT 15
ME(28)and DS(4)
Sept 14 TRSept14 Video

Sept 13 Disney Video
Sept 13 TR
Sept 2014 PTR

I loved the poly but Jambo house stole my heart! Dec 11 college graduation TR
My 1st TR: Who says you can't take a 1 year old to WDW. Put that boy in a stroller!Oct 2010
leshunlenese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 10:46 PM   #12
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

What adorable photos with Minnie!! I'm a huge fan of mother/daughter trips - me being on the mother end of the equation!

And who doesn't love WPE? Oh so good!

Looking forward to reading more!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 12:49 PM   #13
acwaters
Mouseketeer

I'm in! I am living vicariously through you
acwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #14
rebeccaariel
DIS Veteran

Thank you all so much for joining in! I'll try my best to make this thing entertaining for you. So on to the next day!

DAY 2 - DHS

After seeing Fantasmic the night before, we headed back over to DHS for the day. We got to the park for rope drop and headed right over to Toy Story Mania, which was walk-on, and then we got Fastpasses for later. Then we rode Rock 'n' Rollercoaster and got this lovely picture.

I really love DHS. It's small, but it's got a lot of the rides I enjoy. And I just adore the theming.

The one thing I'm not so crazy about at DHS is the food. Compared to the other parks, it's just sort of "meh". Although I did love this cupcake I got at the ABC Commissary. Lemon meringue!

You know what underrated ride I love? The Great Movie Ride. It's so campy and fun! This time we got the gangster scene, which was cool because last time I remember getting the cowboy scene. An older lady played the part of the gangster, and she was pretty hilarious.

Oh, and my dream came true during this day! I was picked as the rebel spy on Star Tours! It sounds lame, but it's something I've really wanted since I first rode it and it happened! I got the "I am the Rebel Spy" t-shirt, of course, to commemorate the event. When I was picked, I was so excited that I shrieked "IT'S ME!" and embarrassed myself in front of the whole ride. Oh well!

One Disney tradition we have, even though we haven't been many times, is eating dinner at 50's Prime Time. The food is pretty good, but it's really the atmosphere we love. Unfortunately our server this time wasn't very into his role. He was a good server but just not as animated as the servers we've had in the past. I still enjoyed it though!

After dinner we headed out to try and beat the crowds, as we'd already seen Fantasmic. As we headed out, the weather got pretty scary! The clouds were very dark. And then the thunder and lightning started. I wasn't able to get a picture of the lightning despite my many efforts, but I did get some cool shots of the clouds.

And that's it for day 2! I hope I'm entertaining you all. I took close to 1600 pictures on this trip so it's pretty difficult to narrow down which ones to show you. Stay tuned for day 3 at Animal Kingdom!

Old 05-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #15
danceintherain
DIS Veteran

Wow! You get a t-shirt if you're the Rebel Spy! That makes me want to ride over and over again.

I would love to do a Mother-Daughter trip to Disney with my Mom, but she's not that into Disney, and I think she'd have a hard time leaving the grandbabies behind if we were at Disney.
We have a beach trip planned in a month from now though, and she's concerned that we're going to get bored. Something that has NEVER happened to me at Disney.
NEXT TRIP: SoG Dec 28-Jan 4, 2015 ~ POFQ Apr 13-20, 2013 ~ CBR: Nov 7-12, 2010 ~ Doubletree Guest Suites: July 8-14, 2009 ~ AKL: Jan 4-13, 2009 ~ Off-Property: New Year's 2006-2007, Spring Break 2001, Florida Resident 1991
danceintherain is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: