Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #16
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

But being without a room for a period of hours doesn't = losing a day, though. Most people will be at the park, or waterpark, or at a pool anyway.

I'm not sure I would do that split, but it doesn't mean you lose a day.

For me, personally, moving to a new resort (as long as I'm not doing as many different rooms as we did on our last trip...that was too many but it was a multi-faceted trip to begin with and I couldn't get the number of changes down) makes each stay feel LONGER. And I'm one who fully unpacks at a resort because it makes me feel moved in and like the stay is longer.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:54 PM   #17
poofiesdream
Disney always and forever

We don't want to unpack, then pack again, then unpack, then pack again to leave. I'm on vacation! We just go have dinner and explore the other resorts we like. We take turns at staying at a different one each trip. Makes looking forward to the new resort on the next trip fun.
poofiesdream is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 02:22 PM   #18
dgagnon519
DVC member AKL since 2008

We always do split stays and have done it with a party of 8. We have done a split of 5 hotels. This time we are doing a split stay of 6 resorts over a 17 day time. People say we are crazy, but we like it and my kids love trying the different places. We plan accordingly and never lose real time in switching. We have lost maybe in loading driving and unloding. This time we will not have a car so will depend on the resorts moving our luggage. We never really unpack so it works ok for us. We consider the resorts like an attraction.
Animal Kingdom Lodge - 8 nights
Villas at Wilderness Lodge - 2 nights
Old Key West - 2 nights
Art of Animatition - 1 night
2011- Calypso Cay (off property) - 5 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Baylake Tower - 1 night
Saratoga Springs - 3 nights
Boardwalk - 2 nights
2010 - Old Key West - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Lodge Jambo - 4 nights
Animal Kingdom Villas Kidani - 4 nights
2009 - Pop Century - 10 nights
2007 - All Star Music - 8 nights
dgagnon519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #19
darkwing818
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimysbug View Post
No way, my life is hectic enough
When I go to WDW, I unpack and "move" into my home away from home.

I find it relaxing, and easier to be in one hotel for length of stay.

Have fun
I know alot of folks do it, but we agree as noted above.

We did do a split stay once, but that was because we couldn't get 2 weeks in same room (& yes for us it was a pain to pack & unpack)
darkwing818 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #20
Hooked On The Mouse
DIS Veteran

Location: Thigh-high in snow half the year, up to the eyeballs in mosquitos the other half

We prefer to ONLY do split stays. It makes the trip seem longer and more varied to us, and we don't have any problem packing and unpacking, which for our family of 5 probably takes about 15-20 minutes. We've also never lost time due to moving either; we just make sure everything is in a bag when we walk out the door of resort #1 in the morning, and bell services moves everything from one resort to the next for us. Whenever we get to the 2nd resort in the evening, we just go to bell services there and pick up our luggage or tip them to bring it to the new room. On our last split we were out of AOA at 7:35 am and got to AKL at 9:30 pm. All of the time in between we were at parks and restaurants having a great time. However, just because it works well for us, doesn't mean it will for your family. It just depends what kind of vacationers you are.
Old 05-10-2013, 03:42 PM   #21
Masonmj84
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgagnon519 View Post
We always do split stays and have done it with a party of 8. We have done a split of 5 hotels. This time we are doing a split stay of 6 resorts over a 17 day time. People say we are crazy, but we like it and my kids love trying the different places. We plan accordingly and never lose real time in switching. We have lost maybe in loading driving and unloding. This time we will not have a car so will depend on the resorts moving our luggage. We never really unpack so it works ok for us. We consider the resorts like an attraction.
We recently did a split stay at Poly and BC over 8 nights and loved it. We felt like we actually GAINED time because we were generally closer to the parks and restaurants we planned to visit on a given day (only had to use the buses on our AK day). Plus we got to experience two different resorts (like two vacations in one).

In fact, we liked it so much that I'm planning another split stay at 4 resorts over 12 nights. Originally, I was going to just do a 2 way "lodge themed" split at WL and AKL because I really want to experience those resorts. But I couldn't bring myself to give up the ambiance (and Monorail access) of the Poly and the location of BC for visiting EP and HS. So the current plan is 3 nights at each of WL, Poly, AKL, and BC.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #22
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

I'm a split stay kinda person but that's because I can't make up my mind about which resort so we do both. Or in the case of our last trip we had a split-split stay with 3 resorts!

We've done both the taxi and luggage transfer and I prefer to simply have Bell Service take our bags for us and move them. Typically luggage transfer takes place between 1-3 in the afternoon. I don't feel we've lost any time doing this since we take a bus/monorail to our new hotel, pick up our new room key and move on to a brand new room!
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 PM   #23
dayfritch
Earning My Ears

Thank you all SO much! My husband "made" me read aloud all of your responses. The advice is invaluable. I'm still leaning towards a split; my husband loves all the comments for "No!". Im wondering. - wouldn't we need to check in at the new hotel (WL) first to get our new tickets? Wouldn't my park tickets expire at checkout? Confused. Actually, they are god until 11:59 PM the night you checkout - right? I was thinking of getting a day less on the first ressie so my tickets wouldn't overlap. In other words, buying tix with PH 3 nights (23,24, 25th) and then on 26th check into WL and get tix with PH for the 26th, 27th, 28th, etc.... Is this correct? So confused!!! Ahhhhhh.
dayfritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 PM   #24
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayfritch View Post
Thank you all SO much! My husband "made" me read aloud all of your responses. The advice is invaluable. I'm still leaning towards a split; my husband loves all the comments for "No!". Im wondering. - wouldn't we need to check in at the new hotel (WL) first to get our new tickets? Wouldn't my park tickets expire at checkout? Confused. Actually, they are god until 11:59 PM the night you checkout - right? I was thinking of getting a day less on the first ressie so my tickets wouldn't overlap. In other words, buying tix with PH 3 nights (23,24, 25th) and then on 26th check into WL and get tix with PH for the 26th, 27th, 28th, etc.... Is this correct? So confused!!! Ahhhhhh.
FYI, you can buy tickets with your first hotel reservation that cover your entire stay. Park tickets do not expire until 14 days after they are first used. Then you can get a room only reservation for resort #2.
Old 05-11-2013, 01:17 AM   #25
CoolDisneyKitten
Not like other sheep, arrr!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycogs View Post
We got to WDW during Christmas (including Christmas Day). This year our trip is 12.23 to 12.30. We usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge (my fave). This year my 6 y/o and my husband want to stay at the Poly. I don't want to abandon my WL! I suggested a split stay as a compromise. My husband is getting upset and keeps informing me we will lose an entire day to changing hotels. Has anyone else done this? Was the experience a positive one? Any feedback you could give would be most welcome!
We did a split stay in May 08, and at first I was really apprehensive for the exact reasons your hubbie is worried.

Lemme tell you: Disney knows their business! We checked out of SSR and had bell services move our luggage to OKW (we didn't have a car). Later, when we checked in at OKW, our luggage was in the room waiting for us. No big deal. Easy peasy.

You can check out of one first thing, have bell services take your luggage, hit a park, and check in at the new place either online from the park (you could use your phone, yeah?) or later that evening after you're all parked out.

Seriously. I'd do it again, and I hate moving. That's how easy they made it.

10/90 Howard Johnson DTD~8/91, 12/92 BC~'94 Poly~1/97, 1/98, 3/99 BWV~1/00 Poly~5/01 BWV~1/03 BC~5/03 BWV~4/04 AKL~12/04 VWL~1/05 BWV~3/05 AKL~1/06 BCV~3/07 AKL~5/07 Poly~5/08 SSR/OKW~1/09, 10/09 BCV~5/11 OKW~1/12 AKV Kidani~12/13 BCV/VGF
CoolDisneyKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #26
Bob NC
DIS Veteran
I am a trained professional
$7.61
Wilma Flintstone can vacuum my floors with a baby elephant anyday!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycogs View Post
We got to WDW during Christmas (including Christmas Day). This year our trip is 12.23 to 12.30. We usually stay at the Wilderness Lodge (my fave). This year my 6 y/o and my husband want to stay at the Poly. I don't want to abandon my WL! I suggested a split stay as a compromise. !
If you usually stay at the WL, wouldn't a compromise be staying at the resort everyone else wants to stay at this time?
Bob NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:26 AM   #27
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

We did a split stay last year and it was a little annoying. This year we are doing it again mainly to save money. We originally booked one week at BC CL because there were few rooms left and were told there were a bunch of regular rooms when we went to switch we were stuck with CL. So, the compromise was to stay 4 nights BC CL and switch to POR RGR so the girls can stay in the princess rooms. We will have access to the lounge until late afternoon at BC and we are going to Chef Mickey's for breakfast then come back to the room and pack then on to HS for lunch and a few shows then back in time to move to the other resort. So it will be a "down" day for us though a lot is still going on. This switch is saving us $900.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #28
mickeynut1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansdad View Post
FYI, you can buy tickets with your first hotel reservation that cover your entire stay. Park tickets do not expire until 14 days after they are first used. Then you can get a room only reservation for resort #2.
This . If you are looking at going to parks for 6 days, it's better cost wise to book a package with 6 day PHs with the first reservation and book room only for the 2nd one. A 6 day PH is quite a bit cheaper than buying two 3 day PHs with each reservation. If you are wanting the DDP with both reservations, you can get the 6 day PHs with the first resort and a 1 day ticket with the second resort and save that 1 day ticket for a future trip.

Country Inn & Suites LBV June 2001 - CBR July 2002 - BC December 2003 - WL CL Oct/Nov 2004 - WL September 2006 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2007 -Poly September 2007 - All Star Vacation Homes March 2008 - AKL/GF SL/WL January 2010 - AKL/GF December 2010 - GF RPC May 2011
mickeynut1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:19 AM   #29
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Location: NJ but born and bred in NYC....still teach there, too!

Smile

We are going for 8 days. I was thinking I would have to book 2 reservations. First ressie (Poly) from 23-26, with a meal plan and PHs for the 23, 24, 25th. Second ressie (WL), take a dining plan and PHs for 26, 27, 28, 29, 30. If I buy only the one day tix for the second ressie, wouldn't I only be eligible for dining for one day? Very confused!
Daycogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:21 AM   #30
Daycogs
Earning My Ears

Location: NJ but born and bred in NYC....still teach there, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob NC View Post
If you usually stay at the WL, wouldn't a compromise be staying at the resort everyone else wants to stay at this time?
I do not believe that would be a compromise. My husband also wants to stay at the WL but wants to try the Poly. I suggested trying both to "satisfy" everyone. Thanks.
Daycogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: