Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-10-2013, 11:10 AM   #226
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
Haunted mansion was a terrible movie it must be a terrible ride
Your analogy was broken right from the jump becasue the ride came before the movie. Further, many would argue that the movie was horrible because it was based on the ride.
Quote:
Twilight zone is super cheezy TOT must be a bad ride
Many would argue that Twilight Zone is a classic that stood the test of time. Whether Avatar was a great movie or not is highly debateable, but has it become a classic? If they did nothing else with the franchise, would people still be watching this movie in twenty years? Thirty?

I wonder if you aren't thinking of 'Twilight Zone: The Movie'. It's true that the movie wasn't hugely successful, but the very fact that it was made is testament to the classic nature of Rod Serling's original series.
Quote:
Cars was decent RSR must be average
Cars did pretty well at the box office, but has done super well in merchandising and has spawned a couple of sequels/spin offs as well as a number of short films.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #227
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
i normally dont start the avatar discussion just respond but i thought this was interesting (at least to me lol)

quick little anecdotal story for conjectures sake

my brother teaches middle school geography and was showing kids the huangshan mountains..immediately in every class the kids starting talking about "those mountains look like the floating mountains from avatar" every class said the same thing

i know its anecdotal but still gives you a since that avatar is not quite as forgotten as some on this board lead you to believe
~LOL, this is awesome! Thanks for so much sharing, twebber55! And, I have yet to see anything credible that supports this HUGE amount of Avatar haters. Absolutely nothing. I am so excited about Avatarland, can't wait!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Your analogy was broken right from the jump becasue the ride came before the movie. Further, many would argue that the movie was horrible because it was based on the ride.
Many would argue that Twilight Zone is a classic that stood the test of time. Whether Avatar was a great movie or not is highly debateable, but has it become a classic? If they did nothing else with the franchise, would people still be watching this movie in twenty years? Thirty?

I wonder if you aren't thinking of 'Twilight Zone: The Movie'. It's true that the movie wasn't hugely successful, but the very fact that it was made is testament to the classic nature of Rod Serling's original series.
Cars did pretty well at the box office, but has done super well in merchandising and has spawned a couple of sequels/spin offs as well as a number of short films.
~Your analogy is interesting -- it hurts your argument and supports Avatarland, even more. Pirates of the Caribbean was spawned from the ride which was a HUGE success for Disney -- a great movie from a great ride. I don't recall any significant Twightlight Zone fandom -- anywhere, and it really doesn't matter anyway! And, how exactly has Twilight Zone stood the test of time??? The ride. But again, none of this really matters to the potential success of Avatarland. At this point, you are simply grasping at straws. Basically, this just translates to yet another "I didn't like the movie" post and that's fine. I didn't like the movie either, but after reading your post I'm even more excited about Avatarland! Thanks so much, dadddio!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #228
MJMcBride
Barely lost is barely found

Can we have Mystic Point instead? Please

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Celebrating Disney's Animal Kingdom
MJMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 06:35 PM   #229
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
Can we have Mystic Point instead? Please
isnt lord mystic a big game hunter? i did like the ride but doesnt that go against everything DAK stands for?

everything i here is avatar IS coming so.....
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #230
skellinton
Mouseketeer

Are you saying that Twilight Zone hasn't stood the test of time? Hmmm, why does Syfy do marathons of it on a regular basis? I am positive I don't know anyone who hasn't seen several episodes and doesn't have fond memories of it, I wasn't even alive when it was On tv originally. I bet if you ask people what show "wishing you to the cornfield" is from, or ask about the pig people episode or ask about the gremlin on the plane or the last man on earth with broken glasses or ask what kind of book "to serve man" is, people would know. I wouldn't even know what to ask about some iconic part of avatar would be, other than blue cat people. Try asking about that in 50 years. No way will anyone be watching Avatar in 50 years and remembering it the way they do TZ now.
skellinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 09:44 PM   #231
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skellinton View Post
Are you saying that Twilight Zone hasn't stood the test of time? Hmmm, why does Syfy do marathons of it on a regular basis? I am positive I don't know anyone who hasn't seen several episodes and doesn't have fond memories of it, I wasn't even alive when it was On tv originally. I bet if you ask people what show "wishing you to the cornfield" is from, or ask about the pig people episode or ask about the gremlin on the plane or the last man on earth with broken glasses or ask what kind of book "to serve man" is, people would know. I wouldn't even know what to ask about some iconic part of avatar would be, other than blue cat people. Try asking about that in 50 years. No way will anyone be watching Avatar in 50 years and remembering it the way they do TZ now.
i normally dont start the avatar discussion just respond but i thought this was interesting (at least to me lol)

quick little anecdotal story for conjectures sake

my brother teaches middle school geography and was showing kids the huangshan mountains..immediately in every class the kids starting talking about "those mountains look like the floating mountains from avatar" every class said the same thing

i know its anecdotal but still gives you a since that avatar is not quite as forgotten as some on this board lead you to believe

so you may not know much about avatar but a lot do...it was a global phenomenon with two more movies to go..i could list all the stats i have posted in the past but that doesnt matter because people who dont like it for some reason want to dismiss facts

it all comes down to how WDI creates this land/ride it really has nothing to do with the movie
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #232
MJMcBride

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55

isnt lord mystic a big game hunter? i did like the ride but doesnt that go against everything DAK stands for?

everything i here is avatar IS coming so.....
Actually big game hunters were the first conservationist much like Teddy Roosevelt. It fits better than avatar

The theme of early exploration and adventure fits perfectly IMO

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 05-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #233
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMcBride View Post
Actually big game hunters were the first conservationist much like Teddy Roosevelt. It fits better than avatar

The theme of early exploration and adventure fits perfectly IMO
i wouldnt think killing animals would fit but i do think mystic point would fit..i didnt see the movie though bet it was good since the ride is so cool
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 PM   #234
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~Your analogy is interesting -- it hurts your argument and supports Avatarland, even more. Pirates of the Caribbean was spawned from the ride which was a HUGE success for Disney -- a great movie from a great ride. I don't recall any significant Twightlight Zone fandom -- anywhere, and it really doesn't matter anyway! And, how exactly has Twilight Zone stood the test of time??? The ride. But again, none of this really matters to the potential success of Avatarland. At this point, you are simply grasping at straws. Basically, this just translates to yet another "I didn't like the movie" post and that's fine. I didn't like the movie either, but after reading your post I'm even more excited about Avatarland! Thanks so much, dadddio!
My post wasn't really a 'for or against' post giving my approval or disapproval of Avatarland. It was simply a comment on the earlier post regarding Twilight Zone, et al. That being said, I believe that the very last bit of my post was the most important thing regarding Avatar. That was that Cars was a no brainier to be added to the parks because it was hugely successful from a merchandising perspective. As near as I can tell, Avatar has been pretty much completely unsuccessful from a merchandising perspective. That's the biggest barrier, in my opinion.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:12 PM   #235
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I have never considered myself a Twilight Zone fan. It was before my time and I Mohave never made special effort to watch the episodes. Still, I got every one of your references. William Shatner and the gremlin on the plane is my favorite.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #236
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
it all comes down to how WDI creates this land/ride it really has nothing to do with the movie
i completely agree with this post. I just don't see how they are going to fix the merchandising proble.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:16 AM   #237
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I don't know any of these things, and I'm 35yo. I know I have SyFy, but can honestly say the only time I've ever watched it was for wrestling a few years ago. I do know what Twilight Zone is, but never really watched it at all.

I still enjoy Tower of Terror.

Now, I have never seen Avatar either, but I'm sure I will be able to enjoy to new area.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:25 AM   #238
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
I don't know any of these things, and I'm 35yo. I know I have SyFy, but can honestly say the only time I've ever watched it was for wrestling a few years ago. I do know what Twilight Zone is, but never really watched it at all.

I still enjoy Tower of Terror.

Now, I have never seen Avatar either, but I'm sure I will be able to enjoy to new area.
i agree with a lot of what you are saying and i didnt know any of those sayings and im 40... but saying what will people remember in 50 years limits anything you do..if we did that we would only have star wars, LOTR, and HP

the fact is we dont know how popular anything will be in 20 years
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #239
MJMcBride

Quote:
i wouldnt think killing animals would fit but i do think mystic point would fit..i didnt see the movie though bet it was good since the ride is so cool
Didn't say anything about killing animals. What I said was the original conservation movement was spearheaded by big game humters like Teddy Roosevelt.

The first zoos were built with thier money. Theme wise, that would fit in with DAK's theme. A homage if you will

But no, there needs to be no reference to killing animals.

WWW.JAMBOEVERYONE.COM

Old 05-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #240
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
i agree with a lot of what you are saying and i didnt know any of those sayings and im 40... but saying what will people remember in 50 years limits anything you do..if we did that we would only have star wars, LOTR, and HP
the fact is we dont know how popular anything will be in 20 years

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: