Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 11:06 AM   #196
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
Very very different situation. OP has to go to work in the same place as this doctor, and needs to ensure that the situation creates a hostile work environment. this is what HR is there for.
Exactly...
While the OP sounds hormonal and 'dramatic'...
The guilty party here is creating every single bit of the drama.

I have NOT created any drama (as the one poster so clearly accuses).
I have, from the very beginning of this thread, advised the OP to steer clear. As have many others.

And, to those who think that advising the OP to watch her back is creating drama, over-reacting, etc....
Women lose their jobs because of situations like this. All the time.
Situations involving somebody with higher rank, or better consideration with the powers that be. Woman, who, like the OP, truly do need the paycheck to feed their family... the insurance, because they are pregnant or have other medical concerns, etc...

To those who are not seeing the possibility that the OP is in a precarious situation here and needs to proceed carefully, with no personal interaction with the guilty party except for what is necessary. I truly believe that there is a lot here that you are not really seeing.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:11 AM   #197
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
You are jumping to conclusions despite knowing little or nothing about the situation.
I'm not jumping to conclusions! Are you telling me that HR doesn't have a policy in place in most work environments (especially a large hospital)? They have a policy. They need to follow it. It really is that simple. Facilitating a meeting between the two parties when they don't even know about the confrontation is likely not in the handbook. Follow the policy as written and there wouldn't be any need for drama.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-10-2013, 11:12 AM   #198
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
I'd be more concerned for OP if she didn't go to the meeting, it looks like she's being uncooperative.
It is not a meeting with HR that is the problem.

She should have no obligation to actually interact with the guilty party in the same room as this meeting.

Each employee should be able to expect a private meeting....
Those in HR know 100% about privacy issues at work.
Especially in a medical facility.
As the above poster here, I would expect 100% that this is layed out in the official policy.

Any additional personal contact should be completely voluntary.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #199
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
I work for a Fortune 500 company. One with an employee handbook the size of Montana.

We had an employee in my department who clearly violated company policy. The handbook says you can get fired for doing what she did. She was not fired for that incident.

My point is, the policy may not be as crystal clear as the OP thinks it is. the doctor is not going to be fired over this. The "peon" might not have been fired, either.

HR's role is to facilitate a solution to workplace "issues". There is an obvious "issue" here. They're doing their job.
I don't doubt that there are exceptions to the rule. However, the way to work it out is between HR and the OP'er and then HR and the doctor. It isn't up to the OP'er to sit through a meeting and discuss how the situation will be handled. Follow the policy....or make an exception, if they so choose, and move on.
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #200
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I don't doubt that there are exceptions to the rule. However, the way to work it out is between HR and the OP'er and then HR and the doctor. It isn't up to the OP'er to sit through a meeting and discuss how the situation will be handled. Follow the policy....or make an exception, if they so choose, and move on.
The OP is a ViCTIM here....
Since when it is EVER appropriate to mandate that a victim sit and make nice, face to face, with the guilty party.

I seriously can't believe that anyone can see any other side to this issue.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #201
Sanchez
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 922

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I'm not jumping to conclusions! Are you telling me that HR doesn't have a policy in place in most work environments (especially a large hospital)? They have a policy. They need to follow it. It really is that simple. Facilitating a meeting between the two parties when they don't even know about the confrontation is likely not in the handbook. Follow the policy as written and there wouldn't be any need for drama.
And what policy is that? Do you know? Perhaps they are following policy. The OP does not seem to know. I do not know. You do not know and yet are jumping to conclusions.
Sanchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #202
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
And what policy is that? Do you know? Perhaps they are following policy. The OP does not seem to know. I do not know. You do not know and yet are jumping to conclusions.
No, you are right, I do not know what the policy states. It is up to the OP'er to find out BEFORE going into that meeting. I would be shocked to find out that the policy reads, "When one employee damages another employees property and covers it up, HR will sit both parties down and try to come to an agreement." The OP'er didn't do anything wrong. There is nothing for her to work out. She followed the proper channels: insurance claim, police report, HR. It is up to HR to decide what they want to do with the doctor. If they are willing to weigh the OP'er opinion (which I do not agree with) they should do so in private, not when the doctor is present!
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #203
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,820

Sanchez, suffice it to say that some folks here might be a bit more in the know than others about policy and law regarding privacy, employment, etc... Especially as there are Federal laws and guidelines involved with big-time employers and anything in the medical field.

Also to mention, I have not spoken about specific policy.
But, about what is APPROPRIATE.
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #204
denisenh
All I can do is lie down
It has a thing hanging off the end
When i get the urge to show off, a tiny voice inside my head says "resist the urge". So i shut my mouth and stand still.
 
denisenh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 4,095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing on a star View Post
Exactly...
While the OP sounds hormonal and 'dramatic'...
The guilty party here is creating every single bit of the drama.

I have NOT created any drama (as the one poster so clearly accuses).
I have, from the very beginning of this thread, advised the OP to steer clear. As have many others.

And, to those who think that advising the OP to watch her back is creating drama, over-reacting, etc....
Women lose their jobs because of situations like this. All the time.
Situations involving somebody with higher rank, or better consideration with the powers that be. Woman, who, like the OP, truly do need the paycheck to feed their family... the insurance, because they are pregnant or have other medical concerns, etc...

To those who are not seeing the possibility that the OP is in a precarious situation here and needs to proceed carefully, with no personal interaction with the guilty party except for what is necessary. I truly believe that there is a lot here that you are not really seeing.
exactly! hard working women and men lose there jobs over situations like this. Those who have experienced it or have seen it happen to others may appear to be overly dramatic to those who haven't, but really, it is out of "earned wisdom sharing" ...not the lack of anything else to do in our own lives but cause drama on an internet discussion board.
maybe OP's situation will be different but there is nothing wrong with keeping in mind the various ways this could play out and how she can "better her own game" and protect herself.
__________________
denisenh
denisenh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:25 AM   #205
Wishing on a star
DIS Veteran
Another proud Southerner!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 13,820

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisar View Post
there is nothing for her to work out. She followed the proper channels: Insurance claim, police report, hr. If they are willing to weigh the op'er opinion (which i do not agree with) they should do so in private, not when the doctor is present!
amen!!!!
Wishing on a star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #206
Lorelei Lee
DIS Veteran
 
Lorelei Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 3,637

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I don't doubt that there are exceptions to the rule. However, the way to work it out is between HR and the OP'er and then HR and the doctor. It isn't up to the OP'er to sit through a meeting and discuss how the situation will be handled. Follow the policy....or make an exception, if they so choose, and move on.
One of the things I do as an attorney is attend mediation sessions where both sides try to settle a suit before trial. The best way to do that is to have both parties to the dispute present at the mediation. Frequently the defendants will sit in one room with their lawyers and the plaintiffs will sit in another room, and the mediator will go back and forth between the rooms. the parties don't necessarily interact with each other, but both are available at the same time and place to interact with the mediator.

do you think perhaps HR might have a similar strategy for "employee disputes" ??????
Lorelei Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #207
FireDancer
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 13,282

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaR View Post
I don't doubt that there are exceptions to the rule. However, the way to work it out is between HR and the OP'er and then HR and the doctor. It isn't up to the OP'er to sit through a meeting and discuss how the situation will be handled. Follow the policy....or make an exception, if they so choose, and move on.
HR very well might have made the decision. They might have decided that they are not willing to lose good doctor (if that is the case of course) over this. If that is the case they need to make sure there is no tension in the work place and work it out if there is. The best way to handle that is to sit everyone down and have a discussion.

Until the meeting no one really knows but there is no reason to assume anything. Just go in ready with the facts and ready to address anything brought up in a rational, professional manner.
FireDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:35 AM   #208
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorelei Lee View Post
One of the things I do as an attorney is attend mediation sessions where both sides try to settle a suit before trial. The best way to do that is to have both parties to the dispute present at the mediation. Frequently the defendants will sit in one room with their lawyers and the plaintiffs will sit in another room, and the mediator will go back and forth between the rooms. the parties don't necessarily interact with each other, but both are available at the same time and place to interact with the mediator.

do you think perhaps HR might have a similar strategy for "employee disputes" ??????
This isn't an employee dispute!!!!! One employee severely damaged another employees car. Based on the video, it is clear what she did and that she did not report it. What exactly is the OP'er disputing??
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #209
LisaR
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 8,851

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
HR very well might have made the decision. They might have decided that they are not willing to lose good doctor (if that is the case of course) over this. If that is the case they need to make sure there is no tension in the work place and work it out if there is. The best way to handle that is to sit everyone down and have a discussion.
I disagree with this. The best way to handle that is to sit the OP'er down without the doctor in the room and explain what they have decided. If they feel there may be tension, they can set up another meeting to work things out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireDancer View Post
Until the meeting no one really knows but there is no reason to assume anything. Just go in ready with the facts and ready to address anything brought up in a rational, professional manner.
I agree. We have no way of knowing what they want. But as we all know, this is a message board and we are simply discussing possible scenarios. Maybe they are promoting the OP'er or giving her a years paid maternity leave for her inconvenience! Who knows?
LisaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #210
Skywalker
Finds good homes for stray tags
Elevators freak me out
Have you seen my coolness?
If hell exists, it will be filled with spiders
 
Skywalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 2,372

I don't get all this at all. If another employee hit my car in the lot I would be of course ticked off, and think they were a bit of a jerk for only checking their own damage and driving off, but all the tears and hand wringing and talk of harassment and lawyers and getting her fired.. WTH?

Report to insurance, report to police, done and done. It was a car accident / fender bender, not a freaking vehicular homicide or something.
__________________
There is no charge for awesomeness.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:11 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.

You Rated this Thread: