Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
baleeve
"I want adventure in the great wide somewhere -- I want it more than I can tell

Would love your advice on a resort.

I am trying to plan a WDW vacation for myself and my 10 year old and 8 year old boys. We will be traveling down 8/25 - 8/31. I know - HOT and HUMID time!

I'm looking for advice on a resort. We have stayed at Pop (in 2010) and they liked it. We stayed at POFQ in 2008 and they really liked the pool. But I am really torn about trying some where new or going with an old favorite.

Our plans only include maybe one park once per our stay because we want a pool day, DTD, DisneyQuest and some other non-park activities. Mainly because I'm traveling solo with them and I don't want to run myself ragged.

Our budget is either value or moderate resort. Right now with the late summer discount Pop is $666 and POFQ is $1315 but it is worth paying $650 more for moderate.

Oh I'm so confused

Please help!

Dance Team WDW Jul 80 Navy Graduation EPCOT Mar 88 Disneyland Mom 1 day trip April 88 Carnival Jubilee Aug 91 MK 1 day Mom Mar 95 Johns 1st visit POR Apr 96 WDW FWC Trip with Papa Sep 97 WDW FWC Family trip Dec 98 WDW POFQ/FWC - Work trip Mar 01 Sovereign of the Seas Sept 00 Owens 1st visit FWCG March 03 WDW 8 months prego w/Brady Jan 05 Carnival Fantasy Jun 07 WDW 1 day AK trip Mom Jan 08 Brady's 1st visit/Mardi Gras POFQ Feb 09 First Xmas at WDW/1st year remission celebration POP Dec 10 WDW AKL 4th yr remission celebration Aug 13 Magic/LBV/DTD Feb 2014
baleeve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
CalicoSky
Earning My Ears

For a visit that's at least as much resort/extras time as parks, I'd splurge on the moderate if the budget's not too tight. At your boys' ages, they'd probably enjoy the slides at the moderate pools. Either of the Port Orleans resorts offer you easy Downtown Disney access via boat ride, plus as sister resorts you can use either or both of the resort pools.

Good luck with your choice, I'm sure you'll have a great time regardless of which resort you pick!
CalicoSky is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #3
etail
Episodic Veteran

Coronado Springs has a great pool since you are already thinking of a moderate. The All Stars and Pop don't do much for us as destinations, more so as a sleep only spot when we are doing a "commando" style vacation with mostly park time.

Yes it will be hot, but manageable and probably a little less crowded than the other summer months.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
pigletto
DIS Veteran

POFQ has the smallest discount with the summer offer so I wouldn't go with that mod. Also your dates are the same as mine, and I am pretty sure CSR is sold out on some of those days. So that leaves CBR and POR as far as the mods go. I personally am not a fan of CBR but some are. POR would be my suggestion. It has a great pool with a slide, is relaxing and pretty, a great food court and the boat to DTD. I wouldn't suggest a value since you said this will be a more relaxing trip.. personally I would want the added amenities and more relaxing feel of a moderate for a trip that wasn't park focused.
You should see a bigger price discount with the late summer offer for Port Orleans. I believe it was only 5% off for POFQ but 20% off for POR.
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
msjprincess
DIS Veteran

Since you'll be spending a lot of time at the resort I would go with a mod. With the ages of your boys I would go with POR over POFQ.
msjprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
HM
A tag from the TF is better than a personalized licence plate

I agree with the previous poster about going with POR for the better discount. I just stayed there for the first time in January and found it a great resort. There were plenty of kids having a great time in the pool (when it was too cold for me to even put my foot in) and I'm sure you're kids will enjoy it.
HM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:01 AM   #7
rteetz
DIS Veteran

We have stayed at both and love both. If your looking for a better hotel experience i would definitely go to POR. You could always stay at the other side of POR too riverside because you already stayed at FQ I think you would have a great experience at riverside as well. It would also be a little bit different but at the same hotel. POP is also one of our favorites. But when we go we always try to find a good deal and stay somewhere different. We have never gone back to the same place twice in a row. So of I were you I would try riverside or go somewhere different. But have fun!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

rteetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:26 AM   #8
Terk-1
Cinderella's Castle is My 2nd Home!! Only 1,302.5 miles from the Magic Kingdom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post
I am trying to plan a WDW vacation for myself and my 10 year old and 8 year old boys. We will be traveling down 8/25 - 8/31. I know - HOT and HUMID time!

I'm looking for advice on a resort. We have stayed at Pop (in 2010) and they liked it. We stayed at POFQ in 2008 and they really liked the pool. But I am really torn about trying some where new or going with an old favorite.

Our plans only include maybe one park once per our stay because we want a pool day, DTD, DisneyQuest and some other non-park activities. Mainly because I'm traveling solo with them and I don't want to run myself ragged.

Our budget is either value or moderate resort. Right now with the late summer discount Pop is $666 and POFQ is $1315 but it is worth paying $650 more for moderate.

Oh I'm so confused

Please help!
Have you looked at the new AoA? That may end of being right in the middle of the two price wise. Plus it's new. Also, what about the All Star Sports? That will be less than Pop and is still a fun resort, especially for boys. Not a big fan or POR or CBR, as they are way too spread out for my taste. My favorite mod is POFQ. Am paying more to stay there for my upcoming trip, but it's worth it.
80,82,85,88,90,93,94, 96 - ASMu, 97-98 - DxL, 99 - POFQ & BC, 00 - WL & POFQ, 01 - ASMo, 02 - Poly, 03 - CBR & WL, 04 -Pop, 05 - GC @ DL, 06 - POFQ, 07 - San Diego, 08 - San Diego (twice), 09 - Sports, 11 - Port Orleans French Quarter, 12 - Yellowstone & Grand Tetons
October 2013 - First Disney Cruise!!!! Western Caribbean on the Wonder
November-December 2013 - Art of Animation & Pop Century

November-December 2014 - Eastern Caribbean on the Fantasy!!

Pictures & Video from November 2011 Trip! More to upload.

http://community.webshots.com/user/wdwfan6
Terk-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
kirby428
Mousejunkie Wannabe

Use the force...

Quote:
Originally Posted by baleeve View Post

Oh I'm so confused

Please help!
Cut us a break and flip a coin why doncha? New versus favorite. Been there done that. Heads! Try a new one. Wanna go 2 out of three? Good news. Can't go wrong with tails either. There are no bad resorts at WDW. Still confused? Close your eyes, big deep breath and force yourself to flip that coin. I did.

kirby428 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: