Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #211
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by twebber55 View Post
very well spoken although everything you ve stated is YOUR opinion we (or at least i have given facts as to why avatar has been and is popular)

http://screenrant.com/avatar-blu-ray...rd-ross-55782/
http://www.deadline.com/2010/05/19-7...ray-dvds-sold/
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/avatar/
plus the 40 000 000 face book fans

two current films used advertising comparing themselves to avatar (the croods and life of pi)

9 academy award nominations with 3 wins

what kills me is people who dont like the movie gloss over real facts because of their frame of reference

the good news is besides the fact that it was a good movie if you didnt like the movie you can still enjoy the attraction if done properly
cars land, tron, TOT can all be great rides/lands based on the quality of theming...eye candy matters

the one point against avatar that lockedout has brought up is merchandising which is a good point..ill just say it s not really a kids movie and doesnt lend itself to toys in store, but its not like we wil go to th eavatar land and say man the rides were great the theming was incredible but i hated the tee shirts and shot glasses they sold

not every franchise is star wars or harry potter it doesnt mean it cant be a great land and ill bet anyone here if this is a full blown land with multiple attractions with floating mountains and bioluminescent flora and fauna you will see at least a 10% increase in attendance at DAK its first year
Here are my facts.....

I hope we see more star wars stuff btw
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
twebber55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #212
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Please refer back to my links listed there you will find facts on its popularity

This argument reminds me of my kids not wanting to try new foods. They say i hate it before they ever try it. Same thing here people hate it before it was made

I suggest try it when it opens and then let us know what you think
popularity and profit are entirely different things. Numbers are mostly irrelevant. What the reality is here is that we have a franchise with no future to be seen, almost no fanbase, and a very difficult owner. As i said, I'm sure it will be fancy and pretty, but its viability as a theme park attraction is not very high. This is just a reality.

Unfortunately for you though, this is a discussion board. Since i can't just "try it out" at the moment, I am free to express my opinions based on the poor quality of the franchise.

I've tried the Avatar "food", and i don't care for it.
dairylives is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 02:52 PM   #213
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dairylives View Post

popularity and profit are entirely different things. Numbers are mostly irrelevant. What the reality is here is that we have a franchise with no future to be seen, almost no fanbase, and a very difficult owner. As i said, I'm sure it will be fancy and pretty, but its viability as a theme park attraction is not very high. This is just a reality.

Unfortunately for you though, this is a discussion board. Since i can't just "try it out" at the moment, I am free to express my opinions based on the poor quality of the franchise.

I've tried the Avatar "food", and i don't care for it.
You havent tried avatar because they havent made the land yet
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #214
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Here are my facts.....

I hope we see more star wars stuff btw
fanbase does not equal profit, unfortunately. Big Momma's House 2 was one of the most successful movies of 2006, but i don't particularly think that the numbers translate into a vivid fanbase.

The hard truth of this is, and its been quite a big issue within the sci-fi community, is that Avatar was a flash in the pan, and has simply not maintained a fandom that was expected. Ask any film buff, sci fi fan, or someone that simply attends pop-culture events. This is all anecdotal, sure, but its as valid as presuming that simple box office results equal longevity.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:54 PM   #215
dairylives
Mouseketeer

Quote:
You havent tried avatar because they havent made the land yet
good observation.
Old 05-05-2013, 02:56 PM   #216
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:

fanbase does not equal profit, unfortunately. Big Momma's House 2 was one of the most successful movies of 2006, but i don't particularly think that the numbers translate into a vivid fanbase.

The hard truth of this is, and its been quite a big issue within the sci-fi community, is that Avatar was a flash in the pan, and has simply not maintained a fandom that was expected. Ask any film buff, sci fi fan, or someone that simply attends pop-culture events. This is all anecdotal, sure, but its as valid as presuming that simple box office results equal longevity.
Haunted mansion was a terrible movie it must be a terrible ride

Twilight zone is super cheezy TOT must be a bad ride

Cars was decent RSR must be average

Whether you like the movie or not the land may be entertaining to you
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-05-2013, 02:57 PM   #217
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:

good observation.
I know right
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-07-2013, 10:25 PM   #218
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Defending with facts by the way not i dont like it so it must suck theory lol
~LOL!!!

Quote:
I know right
~OMG! twebber55, you are *SO* smart. I wish I had your genius & super power gift for brevity. You destroy those huge pedantic posts in three words or less. That's fabulous.

~I can't wait for more updates on Avatarland!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #219
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~LOL!!!

~OMG! twebber55, you are *SO* smart. I wish I had your genius & super power gift for brevity. You destroy those huge pedantic posts in three words or less. That's fabulous.

~I can't wait for more updates on Avatarland!!!
read on magic that the main e ticket will be called Flight of Passage and that we are now looking at two rides plus other stuff...hopefully at d23 we get more details..maybe sooner
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Last edited by twebber55; 05-08-2013 at 06:19 AM.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:15 AM   #220
beer dave
There are 10 kinds of people in the world-- those who understand the binary numbering system, and those who do not.

Quote:
read on magic that the main e ticket will be called Flight of Passage and that we are now looking a two rides plus other stuff...
That is great! Thanks for the update! What an excellent plan! Can't wait for the next update. After all, that is why I am on this thread!
beer dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:21 AM   #221
twebber55
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by beer dave View Post
That is great! Thanks for the update! What an excellent plan! Can't wait for the next update. After all, that is why I am on this thread!
you mean your sole purpose on this thread is not to trash something you ve never seen or know no details while greatly expanding a park that desperately needs rides?
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC
Old 05-08-2013, 11:48 AM   #222
skellinton
Mouseketeer

For everyone bringing up thenmoneythat Avatar made, that doesn't mean anything. Sure it made tons and tons of money at the box office, but what about merchandising and longevity? Do you really think if they rereleased Avatar today it would make any where near the amount of money it did originally? People went to see Avatar for the effects and because of the hype. It did not resonate with people the way other movies have. I am sure there are some rabid Avatar fans, but probably not as many as you think. It's a Wonderful Life was a FLOP when it was initially released, look at it now. I am pretty sure that if you re released those two movies at the same time, Its a Wonderful Life would outsell Avatar. Initial big box office doesn't mean as much as you seem to think it does.
Also, the Acadmey Award argument is just as silly. Cary Grant never recieved an Oscar for acting.
Hitchock never won. Ņiether has George Lucas. For movies, Forrest Gump won over Pulp fiction. Tell me that is not ridiculous. And, sure Avatar was nominated, but so was Working Girl.

For the sequels, sure they may be great. But since the original was not great, nor even good, I am not holding my breath. And very few sequels outshine the original (godfather II being the exception).

Avatar land may be cool and I am sure it will be visually stunning, but surely there is something else Disney could use as a spring board for a new land other than an over hyped, flash in the pan movie with no substance or staying power.
skellinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:30 PM   #223
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Two very important things have not happened yet.

1) Avatarland has not opened. It could have such phenomenal attractions that none of this argument will ever have mattered.

2) Avatar 2 hasn't opened yet. Sequels are probably the primary determinant of whether a franchise is vital and has staying power. Calling something a flash in the pan when there has been no opening weekend on a sequel to qualify it is a bit silly and juvenile.

Avatar was huge, which means that for as many people who loved it, there are just as many who hated it (a good portion of these specifically because too many people loved it).

I myself found it pretty amazing from a visual effects standpoint, and from the standpoint of crafting an alien ecosystem that seems to be so complete and functional. I thought the story/script was a bit lacking, and sometimes derivative (though they say there are only but so many stories...).

Avatarland is not my first choice for expanding DAK. That would be Beastly Kingdom. My second choice would be Australia. All that said, I will reserve judgement about what I think of Avatarland until after I get to tour it. I remain enthusiastic that they are expanding the park in any way, shape, or form.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #224
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

~Yay!!!

Quote:
read on magic that the main e ticket will be called Flight of Passage and that we are now looking at two rides plus other stuff...hopefully at d23 we get more details..maybe sooner
~This is AWESOME!!! I can't wait to read it! I don't have time now, but I'll look for this later. Thanks for the update!

Quote:
you mean your sole purpose on this thread is not to trash something you've never seen or know no details while greatly expanding a park that desperately needs rides?
Old 05-10-2013, 08:39 AM   #225
twebber55
DIS Veteran

i normally dont start the avatar discussion just respond but i thought this was interesting (at least to me lol)

quick little anecdotal story for conjectures sake

my brother teaches middle school geography and was showing kids the huangshan mountains..immediately in every class the kids starting talking about "those mountains look like the floating mountains from avatar" every class said the same thing

i know its anecdotal but still gives you a since that avatar is not quite as forgotten as some on this board lead you to believe
June 2010 BWV
June 2011 VB
June 2011 BC
June 2012 BC
June 2012 THV
June 2014 BC

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: