Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2013, 09:00 PM   #16
Claire&TheBoys
The Queen of the Castle!

I'm sure you'll enjoy Shades of Green. We didn't love it when we stayed in 2009, but we had a room that had not been renovated yet and was very very worn and did not have a nice view. We didn't have a good experience with the buses, either. I'm glad the option exists but we don't plan to return. We really did miss the Disney atmosphere of the other resorts.

Coming up: Long weekend at CSR for Veterans' Day

"You see, it's just like I told you. Wishes can come true, if you believe in them with all your heart. And the best part is, you'll never run out of wishes. They're shining deep down inside you... because that, my friends, is where the magic lives."

More than 25 trips to Disney World since age 4, including:
Jan 2014: OKW - Feb 2013 (DPHM): CSR - Sept 2012: Pop - Nov 2011: Pop - May 2011: CSR - Jan 2011: All-Star Sports - May 2010: Pop Century - Nov 2009: Wilderness Lodge - May 2009: Shades of Green -
Aug/Sept 2008: CSR - Jan 2008: POFQ - Sept 2007: CSR - Sept 2004: FWCabins - Sept 2003: CSR - Jan 1997: Honeymoon at Westgate - Plus many trips as a child at FW!
Claire&TheBoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #17
bdcp
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindyN View Post
Just there last week.
First of all it is NOT Disney so don't expect to get your room cards early and head off to a park. You'll need to go back after 3pm to get your room and probably have to stand in line.

To me, SoG is a lot of lines... lines for room assignments. lines for tickets... lines for food... BUT I was in the military and that's just part of it.

Its not too far to the Polynesian and generally I use transportation from there, or hop in my rental car and drive around.

Self parking charge of $5/night (which I have no problems paying.)

That being said, I will stay there and am going back because of price and location. Mattresses aren't exactly plush and overstuffed but they're quite adequate. Bring your own toiletries because what you get may not be something that you want to use. I did have decent toiletries last week, but in January the soap was along the line of Mr. Bubble.

Military MWR resorts must support themselves and because of our rank its often less costly for me to book a Disney moderate. But SoG is on my list when I can't get into Disney at a discount.
Out of our 4 times staying at SOG, we have only had to wait for a room one time which was no big deal, we just went on with our day. We always go prepared to not check in early and get our tickets and go from there. We just leave our luggage in our car and grab what we need. The other three times we were able to check in around 11 am. Beds aren't overly comfortable.
Shades of Green Nov 08

Shades of Green Oct 11
Shades of Green Nov 13
bdcp is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #18
Skatermom23
DIS Veteran

This thread popped back up today and I wanted to add a few comments. We just completed our anniversary trip at the Yacht Club and had a fabulous time being on the Epcot side. HOWEVER, I would not hesitate at all to return to SOG. If you are looking for a deluxe hotel on the monorail, you just can't beat the price. We paid $1000 more for 6 nights at the Yacht Club and I don't feel we got a better hotel for it, just a different one. I can think of a lot of things that money could have paid for. I hope everyone enjoys their SOG stay and rest easy knowing that the hotel is fantastic!
Skatermom23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #19
caseywirth
Mouseketeer

SOG is a deluxe resort, the rooms are the largest on property at 480 sq feet. I have never had to wait, or if I did just a few minutes for anything. It's a great value and a very pretty resort. The busses are great, just need to know the scheldule.
caseywirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #20
poohangel
Yeah I Dis, Doesn't everybody?

Do you have to pay for parking at the parks if staying at shades of Green? What about magic bands?

poohangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 06:56 PM   #21
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohangel View Post
Do you have to pay for parking at the parks if staying at shades of Green?
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohangel View Post
What about magic bands?
Not available for SOG guests yet, unless you have an AP.
Old 03-15-2014, 09:51 PM   #22
lala5176
Mouseketeer

Just some more two cents.....
We stayed there two years ago. The grounds are beautiful and peaceful. Our room was quite large and we were very comfortable there with three children.
We walked it with a stroller in tow to nPolynesian several times and the bus service that the resort provides was more comfortable than Disney buses however they may not have been as frequent but if timed well not a problem. The only issue we had waste that we felt the customer service was lacking and no you did not get that "Disney" feel. But the price is amazing compared to the Deluxe resorts on property. We have not returned because my husband said he preferred to not be reminded of work while on vacation and he did get a "on post" vibe while he was there. All in all I would give it a try. We have no regrets!!!!
P.S the food service was just ok when we went and we had a few issues with lipstick on glass in room and housekeeping in general.

2000 Off site, 2004 Disney Magic, 2006 Disney Magic, 2007 CBR, 2009 Disney Magic, 2010 Shades of Green, 2010 CSR, 2011 Beach Club, 2012 POR, 2013 Yacht Club, 2014 Disney Fantasy , 2014 Grand Floridian

lala5176 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: