Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:50 PM   #31
dunnhorn
I'd rather be at Castaway Cay
 
dunnhorn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Roswell, GA
Posts: 539

Quote:
Originally Posted by awilliams4 View Post
Agreed. Blame your neighbors, blame your co-workers, blame your in-laws. It is Disney adapting to our culture, not Disney trying to bend everyone over.
No, actually I'll have to side with the OP on this one. This is TOTAL CRAP. If Disney charged a reasonable price for its table service buffets, folks with babies wouldn't try to beat the system. A 10 year old is charged $38 to eat dinner? PLEASE. No sympathy from me for Disney on the food prices.

If it chooses to "charge" guests under 3, this will be a sad day indeed.
__________________

Leslie Ann
Me, DH, DS 12, DD 10

DVC Homes: SSR, HH, BLT, BWV, VWL
Resorts visited: Every WDW resort except for Coronado and Art of Animation. I am boycotting the Poly due to lack of hot tub.

4 day Disney WONDER May '09.
4 day Disney DREAM April '11.
7 day Disney FANTASY Western May '12.
7 day RCCL OASIS OF THE SEAS Eastern April '13
4 day Disney MAGIC March'14

Looking forward to the DVC MEMBER CRUISE on the Disney DREAM in 8/14, and a 7 day ALASKAN cruise on the Disney WONDER in June '15.
dunnhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:47 PM   #32
Adie's Mama
Earning My Ears
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 60

That would stink! I went last December 2 weeks before my son's 3rd birthday and totally brought his passport just for proof cause he's a big kid (he was 40" tall and went on ALL the 40"+ rides before he was even 3, LOL! Tower of Terror was his fav...). I was never questioned, but I wanted to be prepared. I don't see why proof of age is such an unreasonable idea?
__________________
Me (Liz) DH DS1 (6) DS2 (3)

Pop Century 11/11-11/16/13
Disney Fantasy 11/16/13
BLT 11/10, POFQ 12/12
Disney Magic 11/10, 5/12 Disney Wonder 11/11
Adie's Mama is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-10-2013, 06:57 AM   #33
eeyorepixie
AKA Queenie
 
eeyorepixie's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,388

It's all about increasing profit, that is the driving force-bottom line. When my children became Disney Adults- we never booked another buffet. It will be the day I pay that price for a kid to eat at a buffet. I think they are slick, but, they are not getting my money. Use to stay on site- Now off site...Use to do Dining Plan- Now eat 80% off site. Use to just do Disney parks- now like going other places. I can not be the only one! My budget for family trips, is my budget! My boss is not giving raises out, if anything jobs are being diminished and work loads are heavier. I work hard for my money, so no Mr. Iger...do not need you inflated prices, and no longer am I a Disney hostage/sheep.
__________________
eeyorepixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:07 AM   #34
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Perhaps the thread title could be changed so that people wouldn't rant about this issue without knowing that the rumor was incorrect.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #35
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Angel Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 4,397

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
Don't some airlines require proof of age when children get in free? Like a birth certificate? I'd happy to carry around a copy with me to not have to pay because someone next to me is skirting the rules.
If they are a lap child, or if they are flying on an age-restricted fare (like an infant fare) - then they need a birth certificate. If they're just flying on a regular fare, they don't need one.
__________________
~Angel Ariel

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011


WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:35 AM   #36
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer
 
ChipnDale79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
It's all about increasing profit, that is the driving force-bottom line. When my children became Disney Adults- we never booked another buffet. It will be the day I pay that price for a kid to eat at a buffet. I think they are slick, but, they are not getting my money. Use to stay on site- Now off site...Use to do Dining Plan- Now eat 80% off site. Use to just do Disney parks- now like going other places. I can not be the only one! My budget for family trips, is my budget! My boss is not giving raises out, if anything jobs are being diminished and work loads are heavier. I work hard for my money, so no Mr. Iger...do not need you inflated prices, and no longer am I a Disney hostage/sheep.
You hit the nail on the head.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:00 AM   #37
got2luvtink
DIS Veteran
 
got2luvtink's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 595

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
It's all about increasing profit, that is the driving force-bottom line. When my children became Disney Adults- we never booked another buffet. It will be the day I pay that price for a kid to eat at a buffet. I think they are slick, but, they are not getting my money. Use to stay on site- Now off site...Use to do Dining Plan- Now eat 80% off site. Use to just do Disney parks- now like going other places. I can not be the only one! My budget for family trips, is my budget! My boss is not giving raises out, if anything jobs are being diminished and work loads are heavier. I work hard for my money, so no Mr. Iger...do not need you inflated prices, and no longer am I a Disney hostage/sheep.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
You hit the nail on the head.
110% AGREE!!
got2luvtink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #38
jadelane1
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 138

I really have problem with them charging for toddlers. Seriously, my toddler doesn't eat that much. I'm all for proof of age, my sons are on the taller side and I am bringing my 2yr old in September. When my oldest was 2 they questioned me at the front gate. It made me very uncomfortable and I did not care for the looks I was given like I was scamming. I am not a liar and he was in the 98th percentile. With this one I will bring proof of age. It's a shame so many people cast judgements on people and things they nothing about. However, I am sure there are plenty of scammers out there and it bothers me that they ruin it for the rest of us. There are always rules, what makes people think they are so special to not have to follow them? What do these people think they are teaching their kids? Sorry for my rant, just confused.....
jadelane1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #39
Cobern
DIS Veteran
 
Cobern's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Clewiston, Fl
Posts: 832

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadelane1 View Post
I really have problem with them charging for toddlers. Seriously, my toddler doesn't eat that much. I'm all for proof of age, my sons are on the taller side and I am bringing my 2yr old in September. When my oldest was 2 they questioned me at the front gate. It made me very uncomfortable and I did not care for the looks I was given like I was scamming. I am not a liar and he was in the 98th percentile. With this one I will bring proof of age. It's a shame so many people cast judgements on people and things they nothing about. However, I am sure there are plenty of scammers out there and it bothers me that they ruin it for the rest of us. There are always rules, what makes people think they are so special to not have to follow them? What do these people think they are teaching their kids? Sorry for my rant, just confused.....
My SIL is one of the scammers. It drives me crazy she is constantly telling her kids to lie about their ages to get the cheaper price/free. Her son will be 4 this year when they go to Disney and I will be you that she will tell them he is under 3. She is constantly telling her older one (7) to say she is 5 to get in free at fairs and such locally. This is why they would even consider doing something, I just hate when she does it and thank goodness I am never around when she does. She loves to brag about how much cheaper she can get the kids into things.
__________________
Disney Trips
May 2013 - POR Royal riverview room
January 2014 - AKV Kidani 2 bedroom savanna view
May 2014 - Coronado Springs
May 2014 - Villas at Wilderness Lodge Studio
Cobern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:38 AM   #40
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeyorepixie View Post
It's all about increasing profit, that is the driving force-bottom line.
That's the case with any for-profit business. It's just a question of the path chosen to achieve the goal.

Quote:
When my children became Disney Adults- we never booked another buffet. It will be the day I pay that price for a kid to eat at a buffet. I think they are slick, but, they are not getting my money. Use to stay on site- Now off site...Use to do Dining Plan- Now eat 80% off site. Use to just do Disney parks- now like going other places. I can not be the only one!
I'm sure you aren't the only one, but judging by Disney's recent financial report (Parks & Resorts profit up 74% compared to same time period last year), many people are choosing to pay Disney's prices.

We could spend all day debating the true state of the economy and its future prospects. But in the here-and-now, consumers are spending more. That usually results in businesses raising prices and not offering as many discounts. Look around and you'll see similar trends all across the retail landscape--restaurants, department stores, auto dealers, etc. The ones that are doing well have begun to inch-up prices and will have fewer sales & specials.

Quote:
My budget for family trips, is my budget! My boss is not giving raises out, if anything jobs are being diminished and work loads are heavier. I work hard for my money, so no Mr. Iger...do not need you inflated prices, and no longer am I a Disney hostage/sheep.
Those are certainly buying decisions every consumer must make. Many people consider a $4 hamburger, $400 cell phone or $40,000 car to be overpriced. Others don't bat an eye at it.

With regard to Disney, we have always taken the approach that we will spend whatever we are able and not be coerced into unneeded impulse purchases.

If airfare is too expensive, we'll drive. If character meals are too expensive, we'll dine elsewhere or cook in our hotel room. If we don't have money for park tickets, we'll skip a planned trip and take a longer one next time. If souvenirs are overpriced and poorly made, we simply do not buy them.

We probably do not spend as many days at the Disney parks today as we did 5 or 10 years ago, but I'm not going to spout venom at Disney over that decision. They only have so many seats each day at Cinderella's Royal Table and Chef Mickey's. Every business in the world would charge as much as possible to fill those seats. Same is true of capacity in the theme parks, hotel rooms, etc. As a business, you charge what the market will bear.

Tired of the Disney parks? Think it's overpriced? Absolutely go elsewhere. But realize that someone else will probably take your place. Disney's profits suggest that they aren't feeling much pain from the guests who decide to spend a day at Universal or Sea World.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #41
ChipnDale79
Mouseketeer
 
ChipnDale79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 349

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkraz View Post
That's the case with any for-profit business. It's just a question of the path chosen to achieve the goal.



I'm sure you aren't the only one, but judging by Disney's recent financial report (Parks & Resorts profit up 74% compared to same time period last year), many people are choosing to pay Disney's prices.

We could spend all day debating the true state of the economy and its future prospects. But in the here-and-now, consumers are spending more. That usually results in businesses raising prices and not offering as many discounts. Look around and you'll see similar trends all across the retail landscape--restaurants, department stores, auto dealers, etc. The ones that are doing well have begun to inch-up prices and will have fewer sales & specials.



Those are certainly buying decisions every consumer must make. Many people consider a $4 hamburger, $400 cell phone or $40,000 car to be overpriced. Others don't bat an eye at it.

With regard to Disney, we have always taken the approach that we will spend whatever we are able and not be coerced into unneeded impulse purchases.

If airfare is too expensive, we'll drive. If character meals are too expensive, we'll dine elsewhere or cook in our hotel room. If we don't have money for park tickets, we'll skip a planned trip and take a longer one next time. If souvenirs are overpriced and poorly made, we simply do not buy them.

We probably do not spend as many days at the Disney parks today as we did 5 or 10 years ago, but I'm not going to spout venom at Disney over that decision. They only have so many seats each day at Cinderella's Royal Table and Chef Mickey's. Every business in the world would charge as much as possible to fill those seats. Same is true of capacity in the theme parks, hotel rooms, etc. As a business, you charge what the market will bear.

Tired of the Disney parks? Think it's overpriced? Absolutely go elsewhere. But realize that someone else will probably take your place. Disney's profits suggest that they aren't feeling much pain from the guests who decide to spend a day at Universal or Sea World.
Here's my 2 cents on the ever increasing Disney vacation and this board. It seems to me that everything today is pro business, pro money, and pro bottom line, it's the world we live in today. Consumers have stopped demanding more for their money and will fork over cash for just about anything. By doing so, we have allowed business to do less and charge more.

For some odd reason we are letting companies get away with taking more and giving us less, for some odd reason we think that's ok. And for some, if you question that, then all of a sudden you're "anti business" and on this board, almost "anti Disney". Why is not ok to question where our money is going?

An example, my wife and I went on our honeymoon to WDW in 2008, we looked at booking the same exact trip at the exact same time this year for our 5 year Anniversary. Keep in mind when this was priced out it was around the same time that Disney released it's annual report and noted that hotel room occupancy at his Orlando hotels were flat. From 2008-2012 when our economy went through a horrible recession, a WDW vacation increased in price a little more than 20%. We aren't going this year simply because of that, and this report of increased revenues does not include hotel occupancy rates. I'd like to know the percent increase of that, if its minimal or flat, then it tells me that Disney's cost is in fact keeping people away.

I wonder how much Carsland and Disney's rolling back promotions is a part of the increase in revenues.

Point is, I do think Disney is missing out on more revenue because of their high prices.
ChipnDale79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #42
tjkraz

DVC Owner SSR
 
tjkraz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Ohio
Posts: 13,265

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
Here's my 2 cents on the ever increasing Disney vacation and this board. It seems to me that everything today is pro business, pro money, and pro bottom line, it's the world we live in today. Consumers have stopped demanding more for their money and will fork over cash for just about anything. By doing so, we have allowed business to do less and charge more.

For some odd reason we are letting companies get away with taking more and giving us less, for some odd reason we think that's ok. And for some, if you question that, then all of a sudden you're "anti business" and on this board, almost "anti Disney". Why is not ok to question where our money is going?
That's a pretty broad characterization of millions of consumers, all with a much more intricate take on this (and other) businesses.

Personally, I tend to be a realist. I'm not defending Disney's actions, rather I understand the nature of their decisions and expect them to occur. Many moons ago I took just enough college business classes to understand that when times are tough, businesses discount and work hard to bring in customers. When times are good, prices go up and discounts evaporate.

The stock market is over 15,000. Last month's jobs report was better than anyone expected. Most people have stable employment and they are spending money.


Quote:
An example, my wife and I went on our honeymoon to WDW in 2008, we looked at booking the same exact trip at the exact same time this year for our 5 year Anniversary. Keep in mind when this was priced out it was around the same time that Disney released it's annual report and noted that hotel room occupancy at his Orlando hotels were flat. From 2008-2012 when our economy went through a horrible recession, a WDW vacation increased in price a little more than 20%.
And I bet many other prices have gone up by similar rates. I still remember buying Christmas presents for thirty and forty cents on the dollar in 2008 because retailer were desperate to move inventory and meet their sales projections.

The recession began in December 2007. Throughout '08 the housing market was in a tailspin and the stock market crashed in the fall of that year.

Disney was desperate to get guests into its parks by that time. The 2008 prices you paid were heavily discounted. Now the discounts are much lower and prices have also increased.

You aren't comparing 2008 rack rates with 2013 rack rates...you're comparing '08 with heavy discounting vs. '13 with more moderate discounting.

Quote:
We aren't going this year simply because of that, and this report of increased revenues does not include hotel occupancy rates. I'd like to know the percent increase of that, if its minimal or flat, then it tells me that Disney's cost is in fact keeping people away.
Hotel occupancy is around 80% and it has been relatively flat in recent years. However when you factor in the recent addition of 2000 rooms at Art of Animation, overall hotel guest numbers at WDW are up.

But the hotel occupancy is only a small piece of the pie. Tens-of-millions of park guests do not stay in Disney hotels. Those people are still paying for park tickets, food, souvenirs, etc. Park admission--which is always going up in price--is the big ticket.

Quote:
I wonder how much Carsland and Disney's rolling back promotions is a part of the increase in revenues.

Point is, I do think Disney is missing out on more revenue because of their high prices.
Revenue but not necessarily profit. Any reduction in price eats directly into the profits. Disney has to sell more units just to equal what they would have made with higher prices.

Pop Century has 2880 rooms with an average nightly rate of about $150. Let's be aggressive and assume that about 2/3 of that $150 is profit.

At 80% occupancy, Disney's profits could look something like this:

2880 rooms x 365 nights x .80 occupancy x $100 profit = $84 million profit per year

Now, let's assume the room rate is discounted by $50 and occupancy rises to 100%. Disney still has the same overhead expenses: front desk, housekeeping, theme park buses, utilities, maintenance, landscaping, property taxes, etc. The fee reduction comes right off of the profits.

2880 rooms x 365 nights x 1.00 occupancy x $50 profit = $52 million profit per year.

Even with more guests in the hotel, Disney made less money because the discounting directly impacts the amount they pocket from each transaction.
__________________
-- Tim

DVC owner at SSR, BWV and VGC
tjkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #43
LisaRae87
Mouseketeer
 
LisaRae87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Posts: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdklein View Post
I spoke to my "friend" and apparently I misinterpreted what was said. Scratch this one.
Ok - speaking from experience here..

In December, my friend and I took my TWO YEAR OLD daughter for the Stitch breakfast at Ohana.. they knew she was two because it said so on the reservation and we discussed it with our server on the day of. We WERE charged for her meal. It was only like $8 or $9, I forget exactly how much but it wasn't a lot so we didn't bother to say anything..

But, we went to Crystal Palace in February when we were there for the Princess 1/2 weekend and we WERE NOT charged for my daughter who is still two (three in July)..

Not sure why this happened since we didn't say anything about it and not sure if it was something they were "trying out" for the holiday season or if that is regular practice during the holidays. It was my first ever character meal so I wasn't sure about all of that.

I didn't want to be one of those people breaking the rule and ending up ruining it for everyone so we decided to have a character breakfast for my daughter's 3rd birthday a week before she actually turns 3 so that no rules are broken and she will still have a great time. Even if I have to pay the $8 or $9 it is still less than an actual kids price.

Not saying I agree or disagree with them doing it - just saying that it actually happened to me, so even though your "friend" says you misinterpreted them - you may have been on to something.

Now what I don't like is that a 3 year old has to pay the same price as an adult for any type of pass, which is partially why I let my seasonal pass expire. I can't afford that cost to double once she turns 3 seeing as I am a single mom and have no help other than mandated child support (which doesn't go very far).. Saving my change now to hopefully put down a decent down payment on 2 passes by October
__________________
Me (26) DD (3) Boyfriend (30)
*ASSports*ASMusic*POP*AOA-LM*CBR*POR-Bayou*YC*


LisaRae87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #44
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipnDale79 View Post
For some odd reason we are letting companies get away with taking more and giving us less, for some odd reason we think that's ok. And for some, if you question that, then all of a sudden you're "anti business" and on this board, almost "anti Disney". Why is not ok to question where our money is going?
I'm a Disney stockholder. Your money went to me.

Thankyouverymuch.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #45
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaRae87 View Post
Ok - speaking from experience here..

In December, my friend and I took my TWO YEAR OLD daughter for the Stitch breakfast at Ohana.. they knew she was two because it said so on the reservation and we discussed it with our server on the day of. We WERE charged for her meal. It was only like $8 or $9, I forget exactly how much but it wasn't a lot so we didn't bother to say anything..

But, we went to Crystal Palace in February when we were there for the Princess 1/2 weekend and we WERE NOT charged for my daughter who is still two (three in July)..
Did you order anything for your child at Ohana or did she merely eat the regular 'family style' table service offerings?

As I understand it, at 'family style' and buffet restaurants, kids under three get their own plate and drink and can eat any of the regular offerings. If you order anything special for them, however, you pay for it.

At traditional table service and QS restaurants, they can eat off your plate (literally) and you pay for their drink.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.