Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum > Disney Cruise Line Trip Reports > Disney Cruise Line Pre-Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #16
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisParker View Post
Holy cow! That is amazing. I think we paid about 1400 for the six of us last summer out of Detroit. Where will you fly out of? I will say we flew both Spirit and Delta last summer on different trips and Delta was way better but you can't really argue with that price.

I have priced out the train and flights and I think it's safe to say that as long as my old Montana holds up (or even if it is replaced by then... ), we are going to bite the bullet and hit I-75.

This price is out of Detroit and both flights are direct.
canadiandisneyfamof4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #17
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

Changes, Changes and more Changes

Ok I am a self admitted obsessive travel planner, but even I am starting to get a bit tired of the options and changes occurring with this vacation.

Since we booked flights to Florida and cancelled the Auto Train I had to rework a few things since we would not longer have our own vehicle.

After a few hours on the lap top I had figured out the best price for a rental car, the smallest size of car we could get for the 4 of us and fit all our luggage (mid size suv for anyone interested) and coordinated the shuttle from MCO to Port Canaveral after we spend 4 days in Orlando.

Then my husband says to me - it really isn't a trip to Florida if we don't go to WDW for at least 1 day. This is where I almost lose my mind since we had previously spent hours planning and had mad a joint decision not to do any WDW parks this year - the rationale; we really want to do Legoland and Kennedy Space Centre and WDW parks are just too expensive if you only want to do 1 day. Apparently my husband has no memory of this conversation.

So I started to do some math. If we abandon our reservation at Caribe Royale and book 4 nights at ASMu we end up saving about $270
- since we can use ME we only need a rental car for 2 of the 4 days and since it will be for travel without luggage we can rent a smaller car
- ASMu is cheaper than Caribe Royale especially if the rumours of room discounts for the end of August end up to be true

This mean that the $336 it would cost for our family of 4 to go to MK for 1 day would only be $57 more that our original cost of staying at CR.

Since we are now planning a MK day I logically starting looking for a restaurant reservation for either breakfast or dinner that day. I ended up finding a breakfast reservation for the 4 of us at Cinderella's Royal Table for 8:25am. For anyone who doesn't know - this is an awesome reservation to get, but with a hefty price tag to go with it. Breakfast for 4 with tip is $171. - There goes my savings

Due to all the changes I haven't cancelled my Caribe Royale reservation and I have not yet booked ASMu because I'm waiting for the room only discount to be released. Staying on property with a magical day at MK sounds great so I'm not sure why I'm hesitant to make it a final change?
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #18
ChrisParker
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadiandisneyfamof4 View Post
Apparently my husband has no memory of this conversation.
I think that's in the job description...I usually say I'm going to consult the stenographer!!

Follow us to the Fantasy Pre-Trip Report
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3099534
ChrisParker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #19
Rnhrc
Earning My Ears

There is a groupon available for 70.00 per night.

Quote:
Friday morning we will check out of the Caribe Royale and make the 1 hour journey to Cape Canaveral.

We have decided to spend the day exploring the Kennedy Space Centre. After a day at Kennedy we are planning an early dinner at Fish Lips. Unfortunately there are no Disney Ships in Port that day, but we will be able to watch a RCCL ship leave. Here is a picture of me at Fish Lips last year.

After Dinner we will be checking into our hotel for the night - After careful consideration we decided to stay at the Radisson at the Port. Here is a photo of the hotel and then I will review why we chose this location.

There are 3 hotels that seem to be the top choices when looking at a pre cruise stay in Cape Canaveral.

Residence Inn
- Rated #1 on Trip Advisor
- Cost is $189 for park and cruise rate
- Includes breakfast
- Includes shuttle for 2, plus extra $12 for the children
- Negative, the Disney shuttle does not leave until 11:15am and we are hoping for a 11:00am Port Arrival Time
- This is the highest price of the 3 hotels
- Lots of positive reviews on Trip Advisor

Country Inn and Suites
- Rated #2 on Trip Advisor
- Cost is $159 for park and cruise rate
- Includes shuttle for 4, but shuttle can not be booked until check in
- Includes breakfast for 4, described as basic and edible when reading reviews
- Good reviews on Trip Advisor

Radisson by the Port
- Rated #5 on trip advisor
- Trip Advisor reviews rate the hotel as either amazing or run down
- Cost is $145 for park and cruise
- Breakfast is not included, cost is $25 for our family of 4
- Pool is beautiful
- Shuttle can be booked in advance and we are confirmed for the 10:30am shuttle
- Friends/Family have stayed here and report that the hotel is nice

We decided after weighing all the options that
- we like being able to book our shuttle in advance
- the Radisson has a very nice pool
- Radisson has a full breakfast buffet and even paying for it the cost is cheaper than the Residence Inn.
- Members of our Cruise Meet are also staying at the Radisson and we are playing a pre cruise meet and greet at the hotel.
Rnhrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #20
praisehisname
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rnhrc View Post
Which hotel?

07/87 DLR***05/98 All-Star Music***01/04 Polynesian/4-night Wonder***02/05 7-night Magic Eastern***
09/07 Beach Club***10/08 7-night Magic Special Western (double-dipping at Castaway Cay!!!)
***12/09 Pop Century***08/13 7 night Fantasy Western

praisehisname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #21
ALMinVA
Mouseketeer

I am a planner, in every sense of the word. Summer vacation is a cabin in New England where we do not have meals served to us or beds made for us, or room service a great family vacation but definitely the opposite of a cruise.
Second vacation is my pick, typically a cruise or WDW and definitely hotels.

I tend to do all the planning, as I am reading you do - and then at the last minute DH will jump in and change everything around leaving all my planning in utter chaos. He somehow forgets all the conversations we will have had up to that point.

Good luck to you, hope you have a great trip! We sail in May 2014. We also struggle with driving versus auto train (live in VA).
And best of luck with your weight loss - you look great

[/url]
ALMinVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
tluvspluto
Earning My Ears

Quote:

Who thought planning where to eat dinner would be so stressful?

Last year we planned our Palo dinner for the last night of our cruise. This was a strategic decision since we had booked Palo brunch for Costa Maya Day and Remy lunch for the second sea day.

We requested a dining rotation that did not put us in Animator's Palate the last night (so we wouldn't worry about missing the animation show), we also requested a rotation that put us in either the Royal Court or Enchanted Garden for formal night because we liked the theme.

The downside was that our rotation put us in Enchanted Garden 3 times (my least favourite restaurant) and we only got to dine in the Royal Court once because our second rotation was on our last night.

Fast forward 9 months later and I am having the same dilemma. I originally requested whatever rotation put us in the Enchanted Garden on our last night so this would be the restaurant that we miss for Palo.

Lots of discussions have been happening today on our Facebook Cruise page about Palo and the different dining rotations. Someone has posted that the dining rotation options for our cruise are:

AERAEER, ERAERRA, RAERAAE

This would make our requested dining rotation RAERAAE
The good things about this rotation:
- only in Enchanted Garden 2x and 1 of those nights we will be in Palo
- Pirate night in Animators palate which is cool because we get to have the extra pirate theming on all the video screens
- First night is in Royal Palace which is a nice way to start our cruise

Downside
We will be in Animator's palate for both formal night and semi formal night and Animators is the least formal of the 3 restaurants.

Now some of you at this point may be thinking that I am completely insane and wondering why anyone would put this much effort or thought into deciding what order they eat in the various restaurants, but like I said in post 1, I love to plan and find it to be lots of fun. Also as a veteran WDW travelling I'm used to putting lots of thought and planning into our dining arrangements.

For anyone who has cruised on the Dream or Fantasy - if you have any recommendations for me they would be greatly appreciated. I am now going to spend some time doing the following: watching a new episode of Grey's Anatomy and playing around with different dining rotation options including the best day to go to Palo.
I'm with you on the planning and reseach. We take our first cruise Dec 2013, Fantasy on the western carribean route. Can't wait. I read you pre-trip dinning post with great interest. Hadn't even thought of asking about a rotation; just assumed that would be assigned. So, as a newbie to crusing, with a 'i'll tollerate disney for your birthday" husband; 13 and 14 year old girls - what do you suggest is the best experience for pirate night; formal and semi formal (once i work out the difference between the many different nights).. Plus we're there for Chirstmas day too!
tluvspluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #23
canadiandisneyfamof4
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tluvspluto View Post
I'm with you on the planning and reseach. We take our first cruise Dec 2013, Fantasy on the western carribean route. Can't wait. I read you pre-trip dinning post with great interest. Hadn't even thought of asking about a rotation; just assumed that would be assigned. So, as a newbie to crusing, with a 'i'll tollerate disney for your birthday" husband; 13 and 14 year old girls - what do you suggest is the best experience for pirate night; formal and semi formal (once i work out the difference between the many different nights).. Plus we're there for Chirstmas day too!
It's really up to you about what is important. Last year I really wanted to make sure we didn't have AP the night we booked Palo and wanted a fancier restaurant than AP for semi formal night, we ended up in the EG 3x and it turned out to be my least fav restaurant for theming although many love it. This year I want to have EG the last night bc it's our Palo night so that limited our options, but I am fine with that.
Old 06-04-2013, 03:40 AM   #24
Castillo Mom
DIS Veteran

I'm really enjoying your pre-trip report, thanks for taking the time to post.

I can truly relate to the planning aspect, it's part of the fun and helps you pass the time, especially when you've booked way in advance.

Oh yes, the dining rotation. The bane of my existence, trying to ensure we're in Royal Palace on formal night and trying to coordinate both Remy and Palo without missing out on any of the MDRs. We're still over a year away from our trip and I'm already thinking about our rotation.

BTW, congrats on the weight loss, you look great!
8/8/09-8/21/09 SSR/AKV Kidani Village
9/24/11-10/5/11 AKV Kidani Village
6/14/12-6/20/12 Disney Dream Double Dip

7/19/12-7/22/12 Hilton Head

7/24/12-7/31/12
Beach Club Resort
Castillo Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:57 PM   #25
PaulG
Earning My Ears

Hi,

I am staying at the Caribe Royale as well by the end of the month.

Can't wait after seeing your pics, many thanks for the report!
PaulG is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: