Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-10-2013, 06:02 AM   #11
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
Just to throw in my $.02.... The bolded section above actually mentions some of the things that are my biggest fears about FP+.

In general, I am someone who very much just likes to "go with the flow" with my Disney trips. I am not a huge planner because I never know what I might be in the mood for that particular day in advance. I may do a basic outline (this park this day... maybe an ADR or 2 for something I really want to do), but ultimately I tend to have a VERY relaxed approach to touring Disney. Also, after my first trip with my son last year, I realized that my traditional relaxed touring style is much more compatible when traveling with a child than my Wife's family's traditional much more structured Disney planning. There was no way we would've been able to maintain any sort of schedule between his desires to eat, or get cranky, or basically just needing to take him someplace cool and quiet for awhile to allow him to unwind.

The Current fastpass system is doable. i may get 2 or 3 fastpasses (tops) per day based off when I swing by an attraction, but I spend a lot of time doing Standby lines between waiting for a fastpass window to open, or just wanting to experience an attraction as I'm near it and the mood strikes.

But the current Fastpass system already had some drawbacks. For many of the rides at WDW, when they put in the Fastpass queue, They bypass the entire preshow within the queue that the imagineers worked so hard on which helped set the story for the attraction you were about to experience. the Fastpass also ended ended up having a negative effect on the standby lines on some attractions. (Just look at Peter Pan. That ride pre-Fastpass might have a long line, but it always moved and the overall wait wasn't that bad even during busy times. post-fastpass, Even during slow times you are looking at 1hr or more for the standby line and a large portion of that time is spent just standing still)

So here are the problems I have....

1. Doubling the Fastpass capabale attractions. Seriously... what attractions currently don't have fastpasses that really need it or would benefit from it? You are basicaly running into Disney shoe-horning Fastpasses into attractions like the Country Bear Jamboree or the Tiki room which never had a need for Fastpasses to begin with. Worse, Like with the Bear's, Disney has decided to drastically alter the show (for the worse) in order to try and shorten the runtime so they can shove more showtimes in, and more fastpasses.

2. Increased fastpass capacity. They aren't doing anything to increase the capacity of the rides, so if you are increasing the fastpass capacity, you've got to take it from the standby capacity. It wouldn't take much to completely screw this up and take a ride that you can realistically do standby with a 30min wait, and have that standby wait time balloon to over an hour with the same number of people in the standby line.

With #2.... You aren't just impacting those who may not want, be aware of, or have the ability to pre-plan every fastpass (Locals, people like me who don't like to plan every detail months in advance, any number of last minute travelers or first timers who don't even realize "Disney World" consists of 4 major parks and is larger than Manahattan Island).... but you are impacting those who may enjoy experiencing attractions multiple times (can't do back-to-back rides with fastpasses), or who may have kids or other members of their party which throw off a schedule (temper tantrums, illnesses, needing to take time away from crowds/heat/input).

The biggest danger is IMHO Disney going so far into the side of needing to pre-plan every detail of your trip that they completely remove the ability to be truly spontaneous on your vacation. (Disney telling you to be spontaneous with a "surprise Fastpass" or coupon or offer doesn't count as true spontaneity. )
~Great post. I don't like criss crossing the parks for the sole purpose of collecting fastpasses -- this is very time consuming and does not compliment my style of touring. I much prefer to tour a land in its entirety. But, fastpass in its current state does not afford me this luxury -- instead I have to leave Tommorowland and cross the park over to Frontierland just to pull a fastpass then head back over to Tommorowland and then head back over to Frontierland. Also, I have no control and no way of "predicting" prior to entering the parks, my exact return window and what time I will be allowed to pull another fastpass. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. This is not my definition of "relaxation" -- it's taxing & time consuming -- and in late August multiply this by ten.

~I respect your opinion and realize that FP+/Magicbands won't appeal to or benefit everyone but the concept will accommodate my preferences far better than what we currently have. I can plan a much more efficient trip by having my FP's in advance. My Disney vacation consists of much more than riding Splash Mountain 25 times or spending countless hours running from FP machine to FP machine. I look forward to touring the parks at my leisure without having to chase down fastpass after fastpass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonorailLime View Post
DCTooTall, I understand your concerns completely. Again, though, until MyMagic+ is deployed and has a few months of operation, we won't know what the end result is in FastPass ratios. And while not everything needs FastPass, many visitors are foreign or first time visitors - Guest who are unfarmiliar with the offerings of parks.
I, personally, love Living With The Land. It's a great way to relax and kill some time. However, this attraction goes unnoticed by many of the aforementioned Guests, who (based on MyMagic+s personal assessments) may also enjoy this attraction. Think much bigger. Think about a system that tries to make sure that everything you do is enjoyable.
I believe the end result is (hopefully) to direct Guests to things they would enjoy - remotely educate them.
Disney has not yet released the final policies on MyMagic+, so there is still no knowledge of how many fastpasses you can prebook, or how it will work. I simply say we need to wait until the program is out to pass judgement. Until then we should be excited and hopeful that the program is both beneficial, and sustainable.

On a side note, if we all love these places so much we should remember that Disney is not an operation we could direct. Though we all think we could do better, we are not the Board of Directors, industrial engineers for the company (although someone may be) and don't know the true operational challenges that these places face. The Magic Kingdom is the buisiest theme park in the world with a capacity in the high 60,000s that closes regularly during peak times. They need to do something. They have bigger plans than we know, and its not our place to assume we know better than them.
~Excellent post. I'm not to going to obsess over the worst possible case scenario as if it will be the norm. I've seen this sentiment expressed before with online ADR's, online check in, Magical Express and none of it turned out to be as bad as the predictions. I heard that people were very upset about the current fastpass when it was first introduced, because of how it impacted standby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disco View Post
I think a big point of the FP+ system is being overlooked. Disney has stated several times that the next gen system would ultimately increase the amount of rides a person would get to experience in a day (something like 12 to 14).
When you have more rides to choose from and to reserve ahead of time it is naturally going to spread out crowds more evenly across the park. This means less waiting time spent at pinnacle attractions for everyone.
Also keep in mind that the original negative publicity surrounding this system was whether it would track you going number 1 or 2 while in the potty. No matter how much people, like myself, tried to alleviate all the tin foil hat wearer's fears it persisted until more facts came out and/or were discussed. I believe the continuing heated disdain is partly due to this original irrational fear.
I am really looking forward to this new system.
~Great post! Very well said. Fastpass+ will play out far differently than the doomsday predictions, imo. I've been following FP+ from the day it was announced and I've seen all of these so called "predictions" miraculously change as new information comes forward. I haven't had to change mine, everything I've predicted is falling right into place right down to the timeline.

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 05-10-2013 at 06:22 AM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: