Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 08:24 PM   #31
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Nick View Post
Then why did you click on it, and feel the need to respond at all?
~I agree. I think the mods are more than capable of doing their job!

DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #32
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
No, I'm not. You seemed to be, and it didn't sit right with me to see Disney criticized for something while the comments about Universal were just glowing - even though some of the same problems mentioned re:Disney apply to Universal as well. That's all.

ETA:

That's insulting. I absolutely recognize what makes Disney Disney. It's why I have the trips logged there that I do. If I didn't recognize it, I wouldn't be going (as I don't frequent Universal, Six Flags, or any other amusement park).
I understand you're point and it is true that I think Universal is raising the bar in the theme park industry at a higher rate than Disney at this point but I will always hold Disney to a higher standard because that is where they came from.

I'm sorry to have insulted you (truly) but arguing what Universl does to what Disney does simply doesn't tell the whole story. There was a time just a few years ago where virtually nobody would even mention Disney and universal in the same breathe but thanks to Disney's (seemingly) incompetence and/or arrogance this is no longer the case.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #33
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~LOL. I can't people are comparing WWOHP to frickin' Fantasyland! No wonder Disney's themepark attendance is up by 73%!!! This coming from a Disney fan! Ugh... I better call it a night.
Have you been to WWoHP? It's very well done. Not without its faults (but then, neither is NFL) - but the theming is very good.

I wasn't overly impressed with the rest of IOA (it's OK, but not great, in terms of theming), but when I was in Hogsmeade, I felt like I was in the films. Much like i felt like I was inside the ballroom of the movie when I ate at Be Our Guest.

Why is it that it has to be either or? Can a true Disney fan not appreciate when a non-Disney company does something right..or is that somehow "betraying" Disney? Ridiculous.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:30 PM   #34
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
I understand you're point and it is true that I think Universal is raising the bar in the theme park industry at a higher rate than Disney at this point but I will always hold Disney to a higher standard because that is where they came from.

I'm sorry to have insulted you (truly) but arguing what Universl does to what Disney does simply doesn't tell the whole story. There was a time just a few years ago where virtually nobody would even mention Disney and universal in the same breathe but thanks to Disney's (seemingly) incompetence and/or arrogance this is no longer the case.
~This is a very good comment and I totally agree!!!

Old 05-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #35
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I agree that Disney is lagging behind, and it is frustrating to see. The new Carsland in CA gives me hope that Disney is turning things around. The purchase of Lucasfilm gives me hope that they'll continue in the Carsland vein and bring something awesome to the table with the Star Wars universe.

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009, April 2010 (F&W Festival!),
April 2011

WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (Yacht Club, F&W adults only trip!)
Old 05-09-2013, 08:55 PM   #36
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:

So youre comparing Universals history and pedigree to Disney's?

Disney is (was) the theme park master. The leader. The innovator. They're the one who set the pace. Were the standard. Expectations of the magic were and still are centered around Disney for most. So the fact that Universal, a company owned by Comcast, takes short cuts is hardly comparable on the same level as when Disney does it. Shame on anyone who holds Disney accountable to Universals standards!

It's getting hard to discuss Disney with People who fail to recognize what made Disney "Disney" in the first place.
So it's totally fine for you to rag on Disney for their perceived failings, but no one can bring up Universal doing the same thing? Either you are being unreasonable for holding one to a different standard of acceptability than the other or you have unreasonable expectations of how the industry operates. I'm not sure that it matters which one is the correct choice.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 PM   #37
mvk
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRDISNEYMD View Post
~LOL. I can't people are comparing WWOHP to frickin' Fantasyland! No wonder Disney's themepark attendance is up by 73%!!! This coming from a Disney fan! Ugh... I better call it a night.
No, people are trying to pump up Universal for building Diagon Alley in 2+ years and fault Disney for building New Fantasyland in 4 years, without taking into account New Fantasyland is over twice the size of what Diagon Alley will be, and not even knowing what is going to be contained in it.

I like New Fantasyland. My kids love it. Neither they, nor me, have any interest in Harry Potter, so its an easy decision to make.

Disney Parks are at +73% and Universal was only at +12%. People go to see Disney because of the classic characters, the classic attractions, and the blend of the new with the old. Has the shine of the first phase of Harry Potter worn off already? As someone stated previously in this thread, does that really have the staying power to hold up over time?
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #38
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
So it's totally fine for you to rag on Disney for their perceived failings, but no one can bring up Universal doing the same thing? Either you are being unreasonable for holding one to a different standard of acceptability than the other or you have unreasonable expectations of how the industry operates. I'm not sure that it matters which one is the correct choice.
I absolutely have unreasonable expectations of how the industry operates. I thought that was obvious. I do not view Disney in the same light as Walmart, coca cola or General Motors. They are Disney and we should all understand what that means in a historical context. When it becomes acceptable for Disney to operate on the same model as Walmart then the real Disney no longer exists.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:13 PM   #39
Peter Pirate 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
No, people are trying to pump up Universal for building Diagon Alley in 2+ years and fault Disney for building New Fantasyland in 4 years, without taking into account New Fantasyland is over twice the size of what Diagon Alley will be, and not even knowing what is going to be contained in it.

I like New Fantasyland. My kids love it. Neither they, nor me, have any interest in Harry Potter, so its an easy decision to make.

Disney Parks are at +73% and Universal was only at +12%. People go to see Disney because of the classic characters, the classic attractions, and the blend of the new with the old. Has the shine of the first phase of Harry Potter worn off already? As someone stated previously in this thread, does that really have the staying power to hold up over time?
You have no interest in experiencing the best theme park ride in America simply because you don't like the HP franchise? Weird. But if that same ride was a Monsters, Inc. Theme you'd be all over it? I simply don't comprehend this train of thought.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:18 PM   #40
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
You have no interest in experiencing the best theme park ride in America simply because you don't like the HP franchise? Weird. But if that same ride was a Monsters, Inc. Theme you'd be all over it? I simply don't comprehend this train of thought.
There's a reason that they are called theme parks. The theming is part of he thing that gets people to visit. If they are not interested in that theme, why should they be excited about going there?

Last edited by dadddio; 05-09-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:23 PM   #41
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I can understand it. I'm not a theme park/amusement park fan. I'm a Disney fan and a HP fan. I enjoy Disney parks and WWoHP because of the theming and magic and feeling like I'm inside my favorite movies.

If WWoHP didn't exist, but the Forbidden Journey ride were themed to The Lost Continent section (something I have no attachment to), I would not have gone out of my way to go to UO as I did on my last trip. I went out of my way specifically because I wanted to be immersed in the HP world.

April 2011

Old 05-09-2013, 09:24 PM   #42
mvk
Mouseketeer

I have an Amusement Park 5 minutes from my house that has some of the best roller coasters and thrill rides in the country. We have season passes to that park, and go at least 3 times per month from May-September. There is no theming though, its just rides. We have much more fun at Disney because of the theming, and going back to that park once we get back from Disney is such a letdown.

At the same time, if that same ride was Avatar, you won't be jumping to the defense of Disney when people bash the land because they don't like Avatar.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:25 PM   #43
DRDISNEYMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post

~Sorry, it's supposed to be "believe", I must have left that out!

~Okay, as a Disney fan, I remember a time when Universal could not advertise without mentioning or comparing themselves to Disney in some form or fashion. Today, for Universal it's like Disney who? For what Fantasyland consists of -- which is a duplicate spinner with sparkly tiles and water, the mermaid ride with the same darn clammobiles as Nemo, and story time with Belle that utilizes "cut outs" (paper or plastic???) -- it's underwhelming. It looks like a beautiful, gorgeous highly detailed disappointment, especially given the cost and the amount of time taken to complete this.

~I am so happy that Universal has raised the bar and I hope they steal *all* the buzz and glory from the mine train in 2014!

~Disney can do better and you know it.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #44
dadddio
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I absolutely have unreasonable expectations of how the industry operates. I thought that was obvious. I do not view Disney in the same light as Walmart, coca cola or General Motors. They are Disney and we should all understand what that means in a historical context. When it becomes acceptable for Disney to operate on the same model as Walmart then the real Disney no longer exists.
While clearly Disney will never be able to perform up to your expectations, it should be noted that they are not in the same industry as WalMart.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:45 PM   #45
DRDISNEYMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
There's a reason that they are called theme parks. The theming is part of he hung that gets people to visit. If they are not interested in that theme, why should they be excited about going there?
~I'm not "interested" in Harry Potter, Star Wars, Avatar or Cars but I can easily get excited about their theme park attractions. Talk about apple & oranges!!!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: