Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
mm1971
DIS Veteran
 
mm1971's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 6,496

I still don't get why a positive step for vacationers at US has to be a negative for Disney or vice versa. Congratulations to US for getting an new expansion done. Will we visit, maybe. We loved HP phase 1. My kids are not big thrill ride kids. If the expansion is open and my kids are still interested in HP then, we will head over and enjoy the new area and the parks. If not, maybe we'll want to hit the new Transformers. We'll always plan our Disney times because we feel the value we get for our $$ is very good. When/if the kids prefer to go somewhere else, we'll go. It is possible to like both places.
__________________
(Jim) (W) (DS13) (DD11)
DD# 714



mm1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #17
Sparkly

Then a bunch of people started commenting on it
I wondered if people really lived there and got to watch them every night
 
Sparkly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: England
Posts: 1,823

Looks AMAZING. Can't wait to see Diagon Alley and the Transformers ride in 2015!
__________________

Nov 2003, Feb 2005,Aug 2006, Apr 2008, Feb 2011, Feb 2012, Feb 2013!, Feb 2014, March 2015
Trip reports! :: Feb 2012 TR ~ PTR ~ No Faith in Google Maps, Trust and Pixie Dust! ~ Ohana Means Family, Family Means Dad is Left Behind For A Girly Trip!

Sparkly is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 05-09-2013, 02:59 PM   #18
dadddio
DIS Veteran
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 1,215

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
I'm impressed that they are putting it together so quickly.
According to an article that I read today, they announced that they were expanding HP in late 2011 and broke ground on the expansion in January 2012. The only news now is that they've confirmed that what they have been building in US is the HP expansion.

Note that I'm not taking the position that two and a half to three years for such an expansion is fast or slow, I'm just noting that just because they are only formally announcing it now doesn't mean that this is a one-year project.
dadddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #19
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 352

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
According to an article that I read today, they announced that they were expanding HP in late 2011 and broke ground on the expansion in January 2012. The only news now is that they've confirmed that what they have been building in US is the HP expansion.

Note that I'm not taking the position that two and a half to three years for such an expansion is fast or slow, I'm just noting that just because they are only formally announcing it now doesn't mean that this is a one-year project.
My only points of reference are New Fantasyland, which began in 2010 and isn't finished, and Avatarland which begins this year but is projected to open in 2016. It seems pretty quick to me.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #20
mvk
Mouseketeer
 
mvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
My only points of reference are New Fantasyland, which began in 2010 and isn't finished, and Avatarland which begins this year but is projected to open in 2016. It seems pretty quick to me.
New Fantasyland is also well over twice the size in area that Diagon Alley is going to be, I believe.

New Fantasyland is about 800' wide by about 250' deep
Diagon Alley is about 300' wide by about 300' deep

Avatar Land will be about the same size as Diagon Alley probably, unless they expand to the direct south of where the FotLK theatre is, in which case it could be much larger.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #21
DCTooTall
Thinks He Can Escape Boo Boo
 
DCTooTall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: York, PA
Posts: 5,950

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
New Fantasyland is also well over twice the size in area that Diagon Alley is going to be, I believe.

New Fantasyland is about 800' wide by about 250' deep
Diagon Alley is about 300' wide by about 300' deep

Avatar Land will be about the same size as Diagon Alley probably, unless they expand to the direct south of where the FotLK theatre is, in which case it could be much larger.
The shear size however is not always a good indicator though in the work involved however. You need to also look at the buildings themselves.

New Fantasyland you have 2 big "warehouse" type buildings that take up a majority of the space. Inside one of those buildings is the LM ride and M&G. The other big building contains the Belle M&G, Restrooms, and the BoG Restaurant. You then also have a couple smaller buildings which contain the shops.... and a coaster.


Diagon Alley is a MUCH more complex construction project. All you need to do is look at the current overhead to see how many different and uniquely shaped structures they are putting up within that space. The only "simple" building is the big-box which contains the Gringots Coaster.



It's a lot easier to build a big box and then outfit, decorate, and subdivide it than it is to build multiple smaller buildings.... or even a long-skinny interconnected type building. Outside load bearing walls are much more involved to work with due to their load bearing and weather proofing needs.
DCTooTall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #22
mvk
Mouseketeer
 
mvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCTooTall View Post
The shear size however is not always a good indicator though in the work involved however. You need to also look at the buildings themselves.

New Fantasyland you have 2 big "warehouse" type buildings that take up a majority of the space. Inside one of those buildings is the LM ride and M&G. The other big building contains the Belle M&G, Restrooms, and the BoG Restaurant. You then also have a couple smaller buildings which contain the shops.... and a coaster.


Diagon Alley is a MUCH more complex construction project. All you need to do is look at the current overhead to see how many different and uniquely shaped structures they are putting up within that space. The only "simple" building is the big-box which contains the Gringots Coaster.



It's a lot easier to build a big box and then outfit, decorate, and subdivide it than it is to build multiple smaller buildings.... or even a long-skinny interconnected type building. Outside load bearing walls are much more involved to work with due to their load bearing and weather proofing needs.
I disagree, I don't think the Beast's castle, the Little Mermaid attraction, and the Mine Train Mountain are simple buildings. The skeletal structure of the buildings are the easy part of construction. The rockwork/exterior artwork involved in new Fantasyland is much more involved than simply building facades to cover the show buildings.

They haven't even released images for what Diagon Alley is going to look like except for the one concept piece, how could you possibly tell what the buildings are going to be?
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:41 PM   #23
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Angel Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadddio View Post
Would you need park hoppers (or whatever) to ride the train?
From what I've read, yes you would
__________________
~Angel Ariel

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011


WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:58 PM   #24
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
I disagree, I don't think the Beast's castle, the Little Mermaid attraction, and the Mine Train Mountain are simple buildings. The skeletal structure of the buildings are the easy part of construction. The rockwork/exterior artwork involved in new Fantasyland is much more involved than simply building facades to cover the show buildings.

They haven't even released images for what Diagon Alley is going to look like except for the one concept piece, how could you possibly tell what the buildings are going to be?
Beast's castle isn't even finished in the back (viewable from the train). The Litle Mermaid is a nice little redone attraction. Very good but nowhere near groundbreaking. The mine train jury is still out.

TWWOHP is the most advanced theme park ride in the US, followed by Spiderman. Why anyone wouldn't want to experience these attractions simply because they aren't "Disney" amazes and befuddles me.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #25
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Angel Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
Beast's castle isn't even finished in the back (viewable from the train).
There are parts of the Hogwarts building that aren't "finished" that you can see from the Forbidden Journey queue as well.
__________________
~Angel Ariel

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011


WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:02 PM   #26
mvk
Mouseketeer
 
mvk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 285

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
There are parts of the Hogwarts building that aren't "finished" that you can see from the Forbidden Journey queue as well.
You shouldn't be posting stuff like this in the Universal Fanboy forum.
mvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #27
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Ariel View Post
There are parts of the Hogwarts building that aren't "finished" that you can see from the Forbidden Journey queue as well.
So youre comparing Universals history and pedigree to Disney's?

Disney is (was) the theme park master. The leader. The innovator. They're the one who set the pace. Were the standard. Expectations of the magic were and still are centered around Disney for most. So the fact that Universal, a company owned by Comcast, takes short cuts is hardly comparable on the same level as when Disney does it. Shame on anyone who holds Disney accountable to Universals standards!

It's getting hard to discuss Disney with People who fail to recognize what made Disney "Disney" in the first place.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #28
Angel Ariel
DIS Veteran
 
Angel Ariel's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 2,908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Pirate 2 View Post
So you’re comparing Universals history and pedigree to Disney's?

Disney is (was) the theme park master. The leader. The innovator. They're the one who set the pace. Were the standard. Expectations of the magic were and still are centered around Disney for most. So the fact that Universal, a company owned by Comcast, takes short cuts is hardly comparable on the sane level as when Disney does it. Shame on anyone who holds Disney accountable to Universals standards!
No, I'm not. You seemed to be, and it didn't sit right with me to see Disney criticized for something while the comments about Universal were just glowing - even though some of the same problems mentioned re:Disney apply to Universal as well. That's all.

ETA:
Quote:
It's getting hard to discuss Disney with People who fail to recognize what made Disney "Disney" in the first place.
That's insulting. I absolutely recognize what makes Disney Disney. It's why I have the trips logged there that I do. If I didn't recognize it, I wouldn't be going (as I don't frequent Universal, Six Flags, or any other amusement park).
__________________
~Angel Ariel

DLR: July '84 (first trip! ), July '86 (family), April '88 (Easter), August 2004 (DCA for the first time!), March 2009,
April 2010 (F&W Festival!), April 2011


WDW: July '87 (first trip to WDW!), April '93 (Easter), April '95 (Contemporary), July 2006 (Honeymoon - GF!), December 2007 (SoG),
March 2013 (SoG, our princess' first trip! ), October 2013 (SoG, F&W festival!), November 2014 (F&W adults only trip!)
Angel Ariel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:19 PM   #29
Peter Pirate 2
I may be a Disney curmudgeon but I still have Disney hope
What happened to Peter Pirate?
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,839

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvk View Post
You shouldn't be posting stuff like this in the Universal Fanboy forum.
LOL. This from a comedian who has already stated in these forums that he now dislikes Universl and HP less based on what another poster wrote. Credibility has to be earned.
Peter Pirate 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:22 PM   #30
DRDISNEYMD
*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+* *+*~The Snow Queen~*+* ~A girl should be two things: *+*~Classy & Fabulous~*+* +*+*~Coco Chanel~*+*+*+ *+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
 
DRDISNEYMD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,379

~LOL. I can't BELIEVE people are comparing WWOHP to frickin' Fantasyland! No wonder Disney's themepark attendance is up by 73%!!! This coming from a Disney fan! Ugh... I better call it a night.
__________________

Last edited by DRDISNEYMD; 05-09-2013 at 09:11 PM.
DRDISNEYMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:06 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.