Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
froggy922
Mouseketeer

Tips or Tricks for stretching DP credits?

We've never been on the DP but got free QS Dining for our upcoming September vacation at ASMo. Because we want to do some TS and character meals, we have upgraded to the basic DP. I'm wondering if any of you have tips or tricks you use to stretch your credits.
For example, if we use a CS credit at the hotel food court breakfast, can our beverage be bottled? If so, then I'd just use the refillable mug to drink with my meal and use the bottled beverage to take with me to the parks. : KWIM? Is this allowed? Since we have never been on the DP, I'm trying to figure out the best way to stretch the credits Any tips or tricks you all use and would like to share? TIA
froggy922 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #2
fabulousfive
DIS Veteran

We stretched our dollars on the plan by eating a late breakfast for our TS credit, a snack credit mid-day and a CS at night. We also tried to find the places that had the best, most filling snacks. Epcot is great for that!
fabulousfive is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
scanmom
DIS Veteran

yes

that is what we always do, get a bottled water or soda as our drink, then use our refillable mug to have a drink with our meal, then take our bottled drink into the parks or back to the room to put in the fridge for later.

can't wait to get back to the "real" world!
scanmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Lauralooneyfordisney
DIS Veteran

As long as it is not a buffet, you can share a meal and use 1 credit instead of 2 and with some places where the food amount is huge then that makes sense. You also should use snack credits for the more expensive items that are like $4.99 instead of say $2.99. You can always use a snack credit and get something to have for breakfast the next day too. We did that a lot when we were on DP and got huge muffins, cupcakes, etc..
Old 05-09-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
Hopefully
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabulousfive View Post
We stretched our dollars on the plan by eating a late breakfast for our TS credit, a snack credit mid-day and a CS at night. We also tried to find the places that had the best, most filling snacks. Epcot is great for that!
Using your TS credit for breakfast gives you the least money value for that credit.
We eat breakfast in the room. We order breakfast food, juice, soda, water, beer wine and snacks from wegoshop.com. We save their delivery fee just on the case of water. We take the water with us to the parks.
We eat CS at lunch and our TS for a sit down dinner. We use our snack credits in between.
Good Luck
Old 05-09-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopefully View Post
Using your TS credit for breakfast gives you the least money value for that credit.
The OP is going for free dining though. Which many say isn't free, but whenever I checked out FD back a couple years ago, I always noticed it was the same cost as if I were just going to book the room, so... If you don't otherwise have a room discount, it does end up being free to the person without a room discount. I"m just saying that when it's FD time, it's not necessarily that important to maximize every credit.

And if using a breakfast works for someone, it works for someone. That poster just gave me a new way to think of the dining plan, and I might have to go back and see if it would work using it that way for us. It doesn't work using it any other way! I think it's important to make sure the dining plan doesn't make you eat in a way you don't normally eat, or wouldn't otherwise eat. Otherwise, what's the point?

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 05:52 PM   #7
HubbDave
Remember, no matter where you go, there you are - BB
I do love pics of defunct and abandoned Parks

I would guess that most (not all) people have dinner as their big meal...
They were looking to stretch their dollar

Dont forget, free ice water at all beverage service spots
Old 05-09-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
catra121
DIS Veteran

I have personally found that two things really work best for us if trying to stretch the credits.

1. Use your snack credits and don't look at how much you are "getting" for it. I am always amazed by the people who say they have lots of snack credits left over at the end of the trip. My boyfriend and I would use them for something like a bottle of soda that we would share. It wasn't the best "value" for the snack credit but it saved us money because we didn't have to pay OOP for those. We're not big on snack foods anyway so this just made more sense for us.

2. Sharing meals works great. We never shared our TS meals...but counter service we might split one in the AM and then again around lunch. Or if we had a TS lunch then a CS split in the AM and one later in the evening. We never went hungry. If you end up not using a CS here or there because you're not hungry, remember you can use any left overs on departure day too.

Stayed at: AOA Lion King Suite, Bonnet Creek , POP Century, Coronado Springs Resort, Port Orleans Riverside, and The Dolphin (when I was really young)

Next Stay: Caribbean Beach Resort September 2014
catra121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:10 PM   #9
Reddy
Scrapbooker

anytime we ate at the resort we would get the bottle drinks for later & drink the refill mug at the time - also saved the dessert for breakfast the next morning (yeah, I had Cheesecake for breakfast - works for me)
Old 05-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #10
cruise cruise cruise
Either way we will have FUN!
All my info comes only from what I have learned on this board

I don't know where you are staying or how many are in your party, but some of our tips (2 adults 2 kids at CBR)
If eating at the resort food court
--always get a bottled beverage to take to the parks and fill your mug from the drink station
--get a dessert that can serve as breakfast (fruit salad, muffin, yogurt)
--1 large pizza comes with 2 beverages (get bottles of course) and 2 desserts - enough food for the 4 of us and only uses 2 CS credits

When eating TS- we share at many (non buffet/character) restaurants. We are not ones to eat dessert with every meal, so even if the meal is on the small side for sharing, remember there is still dessert to come
cruise cruise cruise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #11
2012bella13
Mouseketeer

We used our credits for lunch & dinner. You always get a dessert to go with your meals, most of the time we had our desserts for breakfast, or if we did not, we used a snack credit. We also got breakfast items to have in the room, like donuts, poptarts, & danish. When we got our meals, we would get something bottled & get a refill for our mug when we was eating at our resort. Some of us only ate one meal a day & snacks. We had credits left over.
MAKE A WISH TRIP MAY 2011
2012bella13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #12
amomma23
DIS Veteran

We always bring our own cereal bars and snacks from home for breakfast. We use the mugs for breakfast beverages on the way to the bus stop so we can head out quickly in the morning and save our credits for lunch and dinner.

amomma23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #13
Marblies
DIS Veteran

We NEVER bring food with us anymore. CS FD is more food than we can possibly eat (and we are not small eaters), because we have searched out the best bang for the "free" buck.
1. We often share 2 large CS meals between the 3 of us - ie Flametree BBQ, to stretch our credits to cover 3 meals a day.
2. If you are a soda drinker, request a large soda or you will get a medium one.
3. If the food court has small and large OJ bottles- go with large.

Newly discovered....At Goofy's Candy in DTD you can use a snack point to get a huge choc. dipped, candy coated rice Krispie mickey head instead of a smaller plain one in most food courts for the same sp. These travel really well and we found they were a great way to use leftover sps.

2008 A**Cheer, 2008 ASM Girl's trip, 2009 ASM with DH too, 2010 POP Girl's Christmas trip, 2011 POP Just Girls, 2012 AoA Last girl's only trip EVER? (DD22 is getting married and doesn't think she can leave her hubby at home like I do), Feb.2013 POP to SS to AoA Crashing the Disneymoon with the inlaws! Sept. 2013 POP Girl's trip
Marblies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
brymolmom
DIS Veteran

How many people in your party? that is a big part of my 'credit stretching' strategy involves my family of 4.

Here's what we do:
1) Bring 1 - 2 boxes cereal in our luggage. Between that and some snack credits (muffins from main st bakery that we split) - This is our breakfast most days.
2) On arrival and/or night before departure, we eat around the resort pool and get the pizza, 2 drinks and 2 desserts deal for 2 CS credits - this feeds our whole family of 4, 'saving' 2 CS credits.
3) We like to eat one two credit meal per week-long stay. We usually pay OOP for our son's meal as he usually likes to order from the kids menu. We use his 2 TS credits for CS meals another time.
4) One day of trip - we like to 'sleep in' and have a late CS meal at the food court....Then use snack credits for our 'ice cream for lunch' day as soon as we get to the park...Then plan an early buffet dinner that night.
5) We use the drinks from any meals we get at our resort food court for breakfast the next morning - milk for our cereal or OJ - put in the frig and use the next morning.
6) As a family of 4 at least a couple times during the trip we will split 3 CS meals between us.
7) DD is picky so if we go to a CS place that isn't her favorite - she might have a 'snack meal' instead (muffin, iced lemonade, fruit) - Great way to use up snack credits and works well for her.

By doin gthis it gives us enough credits for at least one CS breakfast.
brymolmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #15
pmaurer74
DIS Veteran

Yes make sure you get a bottled drink too since you have the refillable mug. SHare a CS meal when you can that way you can split breakfast too. Use your CS credits on lunch and dinner and not breakfast. If you have a CS credit left they are worth 3 snacks unofficially.... Do not waste TS credits on lower priced restaurants.
GF - 3/12
SSR/VWL - 6/12
BC CL - 6/13
WL - 12/13
WL - 12/14
pmaurer74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: