Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #2146
ash09nd
Earning My Ears

Hello- I'm new to the boards. My friend has never been to WDW and we decided to take a spontaneous trip. We are both adults. Any fun suggestions? We are staying in POFQ the 14th -18th. We are playing everything by ear! Thanks for the help!
Old 05-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #2147
GWS
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by ash09nd View Post
Hello- I'm new to the boards. My friend has never been to WDW and we decided to take a spontaneous trip. We are both adults. Any fun suggestions? We are staying in POFQ the 14th -18th. We are playing everything by ear! Thanks for the help!
Anything you do at the World will be fun. However I do suggest taking the boat taxi to DTD.

Have a fun!
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-09-2013, 06:11 PM   #2148
pwdebbie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by farah View Post
A question about pillows..... Does POFQ have firm pillows? Thanks.
I was surprised at the pillows -- they were not nearly as squishy as most places. I love a nice solid piece of foam and this is what the pillows seemed to be. I wouldn't call them super firm, but they weren't wimpy either. There was an extra pillow also, so if you need to double-up you could.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo queen View Post
Call AAA or call WDW to ask about the discount?
Call WDW unless you are booking through AAA (which I don't advise). I had 10% this past April. When I made my reservation I told them I had AAA so I got 10% off. Not much, but dh wasn't willing to switch to a different resort for a better discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kataEbi View Post
They've started with some renovations early here in building 3. Starting this week, we've been woken up by what sounds like jackhammers and saws tearing through the building, nearly shaking the walls. We have to talk loudly to each other to hear. They have some scaffolding up and by about 9am, are just making as much noise as possible.

I did ask that we were booked in a close building upon check-in, and this is quite close, but there was no mention of upcoming/ongoing construction.

I know most people are on their way to parks by 9, but we never are.

Im not typically one to complain, but this is really bad.
We had several days of powerwashing the walkways outside our room last month. The generator was literally steps from our door. I don't know which was worse -- the generator, the power washers, or the guys yelling back and forth to be heard over the sounds of the equipment. I think you should go to the front desk and see if they will do something for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch Waffles View Post
So the man that sings nights in the lobby is no longer going to be around? He is huge to the atmosphere of POFQ. I love coming back to the resort at nights stopping for a few minutes just to listen to him.
Although his website says he will be there through October, it seems that everyone is saying that he is gone. Very sad about that.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #2149
ICMDGO
Earning My Ears

I have a reservation booked for October. We have a package, room, Park Hopper tickers and a dining plan. Can you get a AAA discount of the room portion or is there no AAA discount on packages?

I can call the resort and asked but figured I'd ask the experts here first
Old 05-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #2150
bas71873
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICMDGO View Post
I have a reservation booked for October. We have a package, room, Park Hopper tickers and a dining plan. Can you get a AAA discount of the room portion or is there no AAA discount on packages?

I can call the resort and asked but figured I'd ask the experts here first
You have to book through AAA to get a AAA package discount. If you book room only with Disney you can use AAA. Once you add tickets it becomes a package. I was on the phone booking Monday with this same question.

US/IOA - June 2015; Disney Dream - April, 2015; Yacht Club Club Level- January, 2014; Renaissance Orlando at Sea World-August, 2012; AKL Pool View-October, 2010; ; HRH Club Level-August, 2009;
Wilderness Lodge-Girls Only - Oct, 2008
;Pop Century, First Trip to WDW - Feb 2008
Old 05-09-2013, 09:06 PM   #2151
scbeachgirl
Earning My Ears

Scat Cats and renovation

If Elliot is no longer there, is Scat Cats still open during the renovation? DH and I loved hanging out there while teens were getting ready. Heading down in June and now worried there is no place for the grownups to hang out.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:05 PM   #2152
LoveMMC
Mouseketeer

The noise noise noise........

We are booked into Port Orleans in October quickly.
I am just hearing about the renovations now.
We are planning to come back to the resort for our baby to nap midday-
Wondering if we should switch resorts-

How extensive is this construction and how long is it going to be happening?
DLP 2003, 2004, 2012
WDW 2010 POP , 2011 CSR , 2013 POFQ
Old 05-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #2153
pigletto
DIS Veteran

Well in a completely unexpected turn of events we got a free dining pincode tonight for the last week of August!
We were booked at Bonnet Creek since there was no hope of free dining and then tonight I got the email!! We had no idea where we wanted to stay onsite because we hadn't been talking about it. We stayed at POR and had a wonderful time in February. I wanted to try something new this time. CSR is great but we've been there twice and we really have no interest in CBR so POFQ it is!!

We're really excited. We were looking forward to the space of offsite but were a little sad about not being at a Disney resort. We were going to do breakfast and lunch in the room and pay for dinners out of pocket but now we'll have the DDP so overall we saved 5 or 600 over the offsite plan
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 PM   #2154
sbarisch
Mouseketeer

Noise at POFQ

Hi everyone! My first post... my family and I just booked our first stay at POFQ for the end of September this year with the free dining package. Now I'm reading that there's construction happening... Can anyone tell me how extensive the construction is and when it should be completed?

Thanks!
Old 05-09-2013, 10:34 PM   #2155
sbarisch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigletto View Post
Well in a completely unexpected turn of events we got a free dining pincode tonight for the last week of August!
We were booked at Bonnet Creek since there was no hope of free dining and then tonight I got the email!! We had no idea where we wanted to stay onsite because we hadn't been talking about it. We stayed at POR and had a wonderful time in February. I wanted to try something new this time. CSR is great but we've been there twice and we really have no interest in CBR so POFQ it is!!

We're really excited. We were looking forward to the space of offsite but were a little sad about not being at a Disney resort. We were going to do breakfast and lunch in the room and pay for dinners out of pocket but now we'll have the DDP so overall we saved 5 or 600 over the offsite plan
This is about what happened with us!

Last edited by sbarisch; 05-09-2013 at 10:40 PM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:12 PM   #2156
farah
Mouseketeer

Thank you !!

[QUOTE="pwdebbie;48350679"]

I was surprised at the pillows -- they were not nearly as squishy as most places. I love a nice solid piece of foam and this is what the pillows seemed to be. I wouldn't call them super firm, but they weren't wimpy either. There was an extra pillow also, so if you need to double-up you could.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:52 PM   #2157
siskaren
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMMC View Post

The renovations are in the lobby, which is in a separate building from the rooms; I can't imagine it would have any effect on the noise level in (or near) your room. According to http://portorleans.org/news.php#040413, the renovations start this Monday and will last for 2 months, so it will be done with long before your trip..
Old 05-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #2158
LoveMMC
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by siskaren

The renovations are in the lobby, which is in a separate building from the rooms; I can't imagine it would have any effect on the noise level in (or near) your room. According to http://portorleans.org/news.php#040413, the renovations start this Monday and will last for 2 months, so it will be done with long before your trip..
Thank you so much!!!
DLP 2003, 2004, 2012
WDW 2010 POP , 2011 CSR , 2013 POFQ
Old 05-10-2013, 03:54 AM   #2159
andrewilley
Port Orleans Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMMC View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarisch View Post
Hi everyone! My first post... my family and I just booked our first stay at POFQ for the end of September this year with the free dining package. Now I'm reading that there's construction happening... Can anyone tell me how extensive the construction is and when it should be completed?

Thanks!
It's only May now, so the work going on at the moment will be long completed before either of you go to Disney, don't worry.

Of course it's always possible that there might be other things announced in the meantime, but we rarely get any details much more than a month or so in advance (if that).

Andre

For more info on the Port Orleans resorts, please visit www.portorleans.org
Now including a Trip Report forum - any comments on your POR/POFQ stays are welcome

Days Inn Lakeside: Apr/May 89 Disney's Wilderness Lodge: Feb 99Disney's Beach Club: Sep 07, Sep 09
Disney's Dixie Landings: Jul/Aug 95, Oct 96, Sep/Oct 97, Feb 99
Disney's Port Orleans Riverside: Sep/Oct 02, Jun 04, May/Jun 05, May 06, Oct 07, Aug 08, Aug 09, Feb 10, Halloween 10, Aug 11, Aug 12, Feb 13, Aug 13... and coming next, Aug 14
Old 05-10-2013, 10:26 AM   #2160
sbarisch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewilley View Post
It's only May now, so the work going on at the moment will be long completed before either of you go to Disney, don't worry.

Of course it's always possible that there might be other things announced in the meantime, but we rarely get any details much more than a month or so in advance (if that).

Andre
That's a relief! Thanks so much!
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: