Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 03:19 PM   #31
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daber View Post
It wasn't just a Fantasia float, it was a whole section of the parade with the music from Fantasia. There was a Pastorial symphony float with Diana shooting her bow, the flying Pegasuses with moving wings. Then there was a Dance of the Hours float with Ben Ali Gator holding and spinning Hycynthia Hippo and the rest of the float were CMs dressed as Ostrich ballerinas. Finally there was the Night on Bald Mountain float which towered over the crowd. The mountain would spout steam and then the mountain would transform into Chernabog. A truly unbelieveable float. The length of the float would triple as the mountain became his wings with his eyes learing at you while gripping the lip of the mountain.
IMHO the best float Disney has ever built.
Oh Stop! I can't handle the awesomeness I will never see! LOVE Fantasia!!
Old 05-08-2013, 05:40 PM   #32
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailrabbit View Post
Oh Stop! I can't handle the awesomeness I will never see! LOVE Fantasia!!
The youtube posted earlier is a halfway decent representation.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #33
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacedog1975 View Post
The youtube posted earlier is a halfway decent representation.
Wow, just watched it. I only like it about 10000 times better than MSEP... and it only has all my favorites - Gus Gus, Flora, Fuana, Merryweather and the amazing Fantasia ones... I probably wouldn't have been able to enjoy it in real life anyway... would have been crying too hard with glee! WHY does MSEP seem so sad to me now?
Old 05-08-2013, 11:50 PM   #34
taigirl87
Resident Pixie Duster

Though MSEP was the first night parade I saw, Spectro will always be my favorite. I was a PAC cast member during my CP and so I have seen it dozens of times. While I(and many of my former CM friends) would love for it's return, from everything I hear from my friends there, the chances really are slim. I am just glad my friend would give me the old bulb covers that we found that fell of the floats(those little plastic things that go on Christmas tree lights, I don't know the real name of them ha ha). It was kind of our inside joke that they would be worth a fortune someday...but maybe we weren't so far off! But really I wouldn't give them up, they are a treasure to me of my favorite parade and time there.
taigirl87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #35
DreamSweetsLove
Loves Mickey

This is good news in a way, Spectro Magic was running since 91 and WDW was long overdo for a new night time parade. Now that they are finally getting a new day parade a new night parade could follow which would be fantastic. It would be great for them to get something up to date like Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade Dreamlights!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxWf57HAso
Old 05-09-2013, 09:03 AM   #36
WebmasterCricket
Administrator
I'm what Willis was talkin' about

DISboards Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSweetsLove View Post
...It would be great for them to get something up to date like Tokyo Disneyland's Electrical Parade Dreamlights!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXxWf57HAso
Presented by "Unisys"
Old 06-26-2013, 09:12 AM   #37
DanBoris
DIS Veteran

Saw this posted over at WDWMagic. I trust this poster since he has posted accurate backstage information in the past:

"I have the unfortunate duty of reporting the official death of Spectromagic.. There are 6 'trailer style' dumpsters filled with the crushed remains of the Spectromagic Parade units.. I believe at this point the only surviving unit is Chernobog... Which may only be temporary as they are removing equipment from the unit..

I personally witnessed a forklift being used to crush the pile of rubble down into the dumpsters.. Twisted metal and all... I couldn't believe my eyes.. It was all backstage, so no pictures... I couldn't take pictures anyway... it's like taking photos at a funeral.. this is one of those times where I wish you could 'dislike' my post."
DanBoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #38
DuffGT06
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanBoris View Post
Saw this posted over at WDWMagic. I trust this poster since he has posted accurate backstage information in the past:

"I have the unfortunate duty of reporting the official death of Spectromagic.. There are 6 'trailer style' dumpsters filled with the crushed remains of the Spectromagic Parade units.. I believe at this point the only surviving unit is Chernobog... Which may only be temporary as they are removing equipment from the unit..

I personally witnessed a forklift being used to crush the pile of rubble down into the dumpsters.. Twisted metal and all... I couldn't believe my eyes.. It was all backstage, so no pictures... I couldn't take pictures anyway... it's like taking photos at a funeral.. this is one of those times where I wish you could 'dislike' my post."
Wow, crazy! I can't believe they wouldn't try to salvage some of it.
WDW 1985, Cabins at FW 1988, Daytrip 2002, Music 2004, Movies 2005, Off-site 2006, Off-site 2007, POP 2007, Off-site 2008, POP Oct 2009, Disneyland June 2010, CS Sept 2010, POP Dec 2011, POP Oct 2012, Disneyland Paris Dec 2012, Sports Oct 2013, POR Dec 2013, POP Feb/Mar 2014, Expedition Everest 5K May 2014, AoA Oct 2014, Enchanted 10K Feb 2015.

DuffGT06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:04 AM   #39
jaberwock
Mouseketeer

Quote:

That just makes me wanna cry.
jaberwock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:44 AM   #40
Spacedog1975
Mouseketeer

My only hope is that the final death of SpectroMagic is that they are about to invest in something shiny and new.

Of course I'd also hope that Shiny and New could rotate in and out with MSEP, which ideally they would have done with Spectromagic since MSEP returned.
Spacedog1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM   #41
Baxter Manor
Earning My Ears

-

Tis' true.

Spectro has been 'retired'...and will not be coming back.
It was indeed junked as the floats were in very bad condition after spending several years stored in a unprotected tented area. Florida's weather patterns, coupled with termite infestation in many of the floats support structures ( wood based ) pretty much destroyed the parade.

A LOT of money would have needed to be invested in bringing the floats back up into performance grade and safety requirements, so instead of throwing money at a production that had passed it's prime ( in some higher-ups opinions ) it was decided to just junk the units.

A shame, but they were a mess.
Some would argue it was a careless move to keep them stored for so long in such a unsuitable location.
Baxter Manor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 09:16 PM   #42
MonorailLime
Earning My Ears

I can confirm the above. As of last week the official scrapping of the SpectroMagic units had begun. There are only two remaining floats at this moment: Chernabog and The Little Mermaid, both of which have more advanced technologies in them that Disney is trying to salvage.
From all connections I have with The Walt Disney Company I can say that at this moment there is no serious commitment to a replacement parade for The Magic Kingdom; however, there is currently a parade in Paris that is not being use which keeps coming into conversation ::ahem::
SpectroMagic suffered from far more debilitating conditions than just wood rot. Technologies like DTMF versus SMPTE, automated show control, safety equipment, fall protection, supply of spare parts, etc. all contributed to the demise of this spectacular. SpectroMagic was a rather proprietary design, and it got to the point that replacement parts where starting to get valued beyond sensible cost.
MonorailLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #43
skier_pete
DIS Veteran

Ya know - though I miss it, if it meant coming in with "something new" I would be all for it. However, being stuck with MSEP makes me kind of sad - but also allows me to skip this stinky parade.

1971 - 1982 Many childhood trips May 1997 - Off-site w/ DGF (now DW) October 2000 - Off-site w/ DW - 1st AK
October 14-20,2006 - First on-site (POFQ), first w/ DD3 and DMIL. September 22-29, 2007 with freinds @ POFQ! August 23-31, 2008. Just us 3...dining for free!
December 12-20, 2009 - 40th Birthday trip! Trip Report April 20-25, 2010 - Short surprise trip for DD! Trip Report
October 15-25, 2010 @ AKL Trip Report!
November 11-20, 2011 - Free dining at CBR! PTR! and Trip Report
July/August 2012 Disneyland / Australia TripPTR "I choose to Be Amused" TR
The Disney Trifecta - a PTR for 2013. LINK Trip Reports - ABD: "A Fistful of Fastpasses" WDW: "For A Few Fastpasses More" DCL: "Once Upon a Time in the Carribean"

October 2014 Pre Trip Report- "Let us plan our Escape !" LINK
skier_pete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #44
littleorangebird
Oh Meyla Weyla ♕

Quote:

Not my Spectro!
I prefer MSEP but Spectro will always have a special place in my heart.

littleorangebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:21 PM   #45
SarahBeth79
Earning My Ears

Sad to hear this, I have great memories of this parade.
SarahBeth79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: