Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM   #16
Simba's Girl
DIS Veteran

Because I don't want to spend my entire vacation with my inlaws!!!!

Our August '13 LIVE!!! TR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3154496
Simba's Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

We do it to experience different resorts quicker than choosing one each time.

We do it because part of our trips involve hosting my extended family (where we need a 2 bedroom) and then they go home and we do not need a 2 bedroom for the 3 of us (nor do we WANT one, nor do we want to pay the DVC points for one).

We are already moving because we generally hit WDW and Universal, and simply must stay onsite for Universal.

etc.

Except for one part of our last trip we have a rental car. So on moving day we do one of two things. We might stash our stuff with the resort we're leaving, go about whatever we're doing, then later on (generally after check-in time) go back to Resort A to get our stuff, then head to Resort B to check in. Or if we don't have super-early plans, we take everything to Resort B, do the checkin process, and either take our stuff to our room if it's already ready or stash it with Bell Services there, then go about our business.

I always TRY to make moving-day into a swimming day or checking out resorts day or something other than a park day, but my family tends to change their minds about that and insist on a park anyway.

After our most recent trip, I've decided we MUST be staying longer than 3 nights in order to be OK with moving. We knew we had too many moves on our last trip but it simply could not be helped due to the necessary timing of other things (had to get in early, then a short Disney cruise, then Universal, then family, then they left), and it was made worse by a room change inside one resort... We hit our limit. Plus, tipping starts to get overwhelming after a few moves!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bless7ings View Post
For the person who moves their own stuff, how long does it end up taking? (packing, transfer and check in and back in the park)

Does everyone do it or just one person?

For those that have Disney do it: which we did once - I think we packed our stuff and left with desk first thing in the morning and left for the parks. I believe our stuff was there by 1:30 to go back for afternoon kiddy naps (we mentioned this)
I don't know. I always feel it takes a shorter amount of time than my husband does. So he packs his stuff and I pack mine and generally DS's.

We all still travel in a pack. Someday we'll split up but for now we're still seeing new places to us, and we want to do it together.

Getting your stuff at the second resort that early is unusual. Never ever expect them until AFTER official check-in time.

You can send the stuff you absolutely will not need with Bell Services, knowing you won't see them until at least 3 or 4. Then pack a smaller bag with the day's essentials...park stuff, swimming stuff, etc. If you don't need the bag at that moment, stash it separately with Bell Services with the resort where you will be, and you can then get it from them as you need. Just keep it separate from the stuff you are having them *move*.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 01:49 PM   #18
starousse
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by budcollector View Post
I see a lot of people do split stays, to me it seems like it would be a pain, washing clothes to repack and the repacking and moving.

So My Question Is Why Do You Do It ?
I agree with that exactly. That's why split stays aren't for me.
starousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:50 PM   #19
BringingUpDisney
DIS Veteran

We are doing a split stay next trip. We are staying at Pop the first night because we don't get in until late and couldn't rationalize staying at a deluxe to just crash (still debating this in my head). We will move to Poly first thing in the morning for a 4 night CL stay. Then we move to BC for a 6 night CL stay.

We split for two reasons, the first is we wanted to experience two new resorts. We also wanted really easy transportation so now we only have to hop a bus if we want to go to AK.

me miss J my little princess (2)
BringingUpDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:09 PM   #20
goofyredraider
DIS Veteran

We did a split stay last year, and are doing a triple split this year. Both are trips that are 13+ days.

We did it last year because we wanted to try a deluxe but could not do it financially for 13 nights. It did feel like 2 vacations in one.

We are doing a triple split this year. Some of it is $, but most of it is this: my husband is only able to come the last 7 days. As a family of 5, we are limited by resort choice. Since there will only be 4 of us for the first 11 days of our trip, we are staying at places we normally couldn't stay without getting 2 rooms or a villa (POFQ and AKL). We will follow that up with a return to the BC.

We do move our own stuff as we drive there. It doesn't take long, and I pack with this in mind.

I do laundry while at the pool usually - it doesn't take long at all.

DS(8) DS (11)DD (12)

POR July 2011, POR May 2012, BC June 2012 ; POFQ, AKL, & BC June 2013 (23 night stay!!); POR December 2013,
ASMo for Princess Half Marathon- February 2014
POP/AKL - June 2014; Disney Dream June 2014;
Disneyland - DLH July 2014;
**Coming soon*** ASMu October 2014
goofyredraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #21
goodferry
DIS Veteran

We do a split stay each trip pretty much. Our next trip we will spend the first weekend onsite at Universal, then Sunday through Friday we will stay at Saratoga Springs on points. On Friday we will move to the Polynesian for three nights. DVC rooms are more expensive points wise on the weekend so we stretch our points by doing split stays. Plus my kids ADORE the Polynesian, so this is my chance to indulge them.
We will have a washer and dryer in our two bedroom villa at SSR so packing is a breeze. I throw a load of laundry in as soon as I get up each morning. Then I run to the gym. By the time I get back I can throw the laundry in the dryer. By the time we leave for the parks at 7:30 the laundry is washed, dryed and DD has folded it With four kids it would be tough to go 10 days without doing laundry, especially given luggage regulations on flights.
The moving we do ourselves, which is facilitated by the fact that we have a rental car. We always build a couple rest days into our vacation and we work it so that move day is a rest day. Our bags get thrown in the van, no issues.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:16 PM   #22
DisneyGuy
Mouseketeer

We've done split stays. Mainly to try out other resorts that were so-so about to see if we like them. Disney makes it VERY easy to transport your luggage (even to Swan and Dolphin) - you drop your bags off to be moved and you go to whichever park you want for the day and when you are ready to go to your new resort, you just go over and check in. Quite easy and has always worked out well for us.

We've done one night at AKL twice for the first night of our past couple of trips.
DisneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #23
Bellabully
Official Disney Addict

Never again

We did a split stay BCV/BWV last trip because it was DH birthday and he wanted BWV. Never again! The process couldn't have been smoother, but I felt like it took too much time away from the vacation. Packing, then unpacking and having to pack again at the end of the trip, ugh!

Me DH DD
September 2010: Port Orleans French Quarter, November 2011 & June 2012: Boardwalk Villas, April 2013: Beach Club Villas/Boardwalk Villas, April 2014: Beach Club Villas, April 2015 Beach Club Villas
Bellabully is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: