Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 04:41 PM   #31
StitchesGr8Fan
DIS Veteran

And a few years ago when there was tons of free dining, people on here were LIVID that the restaurants were so packed with people on the dining plan and they couldn't get a reservation or a walk-up, and had to wait in insane crowds for counter service meals and then fight for seats. People were even threatening not to go back if Disney didn't do something.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #32
bartleby1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StitchesGr8Fan View Post
And a few years ago when there was tons of free dining, people on here were LIVID that the restaurants were so packed with people on the dining plan and they couldn't get a reservation or a walk-up, and had to wait in insane crowds for counter service meals and then fight for seats. People were even threatening not to go back if Disney didn't do something.
I can understand some people being upset about not being able to get ressies due to free dining but being upset over crowds at counter service? People have to eat - with or without free dining. Without free dining, I would think there would be less people eating table service, but wouldn't that make the counter service even more crowded?
bartleby1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #33
sgrabin
Mouse Junkie

Will be less crowded when I go!

Those dates might actually work well for us. We'd always planned to go on September 28th. I'm hoping a lot of people that had made reservations late Sept/early Oct will move up their vacation to fit the free FD window, thereby making it a little less crowded when we get there!
Oct 2002 - Wilderness Lodge (plus offsite days)
Sep 2006 - Calypso Cay Kissimmee
Dec 2008 - Calypso Cay Kissimmee
Sep 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort (Loved It!)
Oct 2010 - WDW offsite

sgrabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #34
TheDisney411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgrabin View Post
Those dates might actually work well for us. We'd always planned to go on September 28th. I'm hoping a lot of people that had made reservations late Sept/early Oct will move up their vacation to fit the free FD window, thereby making it a little less crowded when we get there!
Actually, if you check in on the last day of a FD promo, you can apply the FD discount to your entire stay, so this current FD promo actually goes through October 9 and a lot of people are checking in on the last day so they can be there for the Food & Wine Festival and still take advantage of free dining. Also, the next FD promo, that will most likely release dates in July or August, should pick up with FD dates around October 1.
TheDisney411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #35
sgrabin
Mouse Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDisney411 View Post
Actually, if you check in on the last day of a FD promo, you can apply the FD discount to your entire stay, so this current FD promo actually goes through October 9 and a lot of people are checking in on the last day so they can be there for the Food & Wine Festival and still take advantage of free dining. Also, the next FD promo, that will most likely release dates in July or August, should pick up with FD dates around October 1.
D'oh!!
Oct 2002 - Wilderness Lodge (plus offsite days)
Sep 2006 - Calypso Cay Kissimmee
Dec 2008 - Calypso Cay Kissimmee
Sep 2009 - Coronado Springs Resort (Loved It!)
Oct 2010 - WDW offsite

sgrabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 12:58 PM   #36
tripplanner2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartleby1 View Post
My memory could be off but I "thought" they first offered free dining in August 2005 after a bad hurricane season in 2004. We were there when Hurricane Charlie rolled right thru Orlando in August 2004 and I believe a week or two later another hurricane went thru also. It scared quite a few people off of taking a trip to Florida during that time period.

Does anyone remember? I could be totally thinking wrong, LOL! I definitely remember Charlie because I was extremely pregnant with my youngest and we closed on our house the day we got home from Florida. It was a hectic time! I could have sworn free dining was offered the following August to lure people into going during hurricane season.
You are totally correct.
tripplanner2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 01:15 PM   #37
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
We were there when Hurricane Charlie rolled right thru Orlando in August 2004 and I believe a week or two later another hurricane went thru also.
There were three instances of park closures due to hurricanes in 2004 - Charley (partial closure), Frances (2 full days closure) and Jeanne (1 full day closure).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: