Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Reviews
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-2013, 08:19 AM   #166
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

Still haven't tried Kona, but it always looks yummy. I want to try that Tonga toast!

and omg, you ate around the world? Were you more successful than us? We only missed a few, but man, we will never try that again. anyway, I am so excited to hear how you did!
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 1/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing

Currently reading: Secrets of the Tudor Court by Darcey Bonnette
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:40 PM   #167
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Barb those pineapple macadamia nut pancakes are my ALL TIME FAVORITE breakfast at WDW!!! You know I'm a huge fan! If I could only choose 1 TS for breakfast, Kona would definitely be it!

They need to offer a side portion or a short stack since they are nearly impossible to finish.

I suppose it is a good thing that your DS had that iphone app since you were able to stitch together the connection with your Cali Grill server.
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 AM   #168
MrsB1228
DIS Veteran

Great update Barb!

I agree with the general consensus that the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes are heavenly but oh-so-rich and next to impossible to finish. I remember reading another dining report where the author (sorry, I can't remember who) mentioned ordering these pancakes and asking for them to be prepared and served the same way as the Big Kahuna. She said taking the nuts out of the batter made them less rich and there was still plenty of them in the butter.

I love them too, but I'm a wimp and can only ever manage to finish one at the most before I'm done so I may try this idea out.

Sept/Oct 2013 Dining Report: The Incredible Expanding Women - 14 Days On The DxDP - In Progress
Sept/Oct 2012 Dining Report: 14 Days of Gluttony AKA Doing Free Dining Again! COMPLETE!
My first Dining Report: It's Time To Eat Again?!? 10 days of free dining with pics! COMPLETE!

1985-2004-Many, many offsite visits; March '05-POP; Dec '06-POFQ; Aug/Sept '07-POFQ; Sept '10-POFQ; Sept/Oct '11-POFQ; Sept/Oct '12-POFQ, Sept/Oct '13-POFQ; Sept/Oct '14-POFQ
MrsB1228 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:20 PM   #169
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda67 View Post
Great Kona update Barb

So funny that DH decided to split entrees with DD to eat less and then ended up tucking into your meals!

Did you know that for the holidays last year, Kona were offering pumpkin pancakes? ..... Mmm, think that makes it a December must do!

Kona is definitely a must do in December for me but I doubt I will be able to order anything other than the Pineapple-Macadamia pancakes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBear View Post
Still haven't tried Kona, but it always looks yummy. I want to try that Tonga toast!

and omg, you ate around the world? Were you more successful than us? We only missed a few, but man, we will never try that again. anyway, I am so excited to hear how you did!

You definitely need to try Kona for breakfast sometime!

And successful? Well, I'll let you be the judge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmysmommy View Post
Barb those pineapple macadamia nut pancakes are my ALL TIME FAVORITE breakfast at WDW!!! You know I'm a huge fan! If I could only choose 1 TS for breakfast, Kona would definitely be it!

They need to offer a side portion or a short stack since they are nearly impossible to finish.

I suppose it is a good thing that your DS had that iphone app since you were able to stitch together the connection with your Cali Grill server.

I agree, a short stack would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsB1228 View Post
Great update Barb!

I agree with the general consensus that the pineapple macadamia nut pancakes are heavenly but oh-so-rich and next to impossible to finish. I remember reading another dining report where the author (sorry, I can't remember who) mentioned ordering these pancakes and asking for them to be prepared and served the same way as the Big Kahuna. She said taking the nuts out of the batter made them less rich and there was still plenty of them in the butter.

I love them too, but I'm a wimp and can only ever manage to finish one at the most before I'm done so I may try this idea out.

Hmm...the first time I had these they were the regular pancakes with macadamia nut butter and pineapple topping, that are part of the Big Kahuna breakfast. While they were good, I came away wondering what all the fuss was about these. Then I learned here on the DIS about the difference and the next time I visited Kona I had the real deal. IMO, having the nuts in the pancakes takes them to a whole new level of deliciousness. Richer and more filling, yes, but for me it's the difference between good pancakes and OUTSTANDING PANCAKES!!!

Now I must apologize once again for neglecting my Dining Report. I have 8 reporters (one more coming in today) sending in updates for the live thread right now, so all my DIS time has been spent there. So to those of you who are still reading along, thank you for sticking with me and for your patience. I'm almost done with my next two-part installment, so please stay tuned.

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan
jabead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:27 PM   #170
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabead View Post
Now I must apologize once again for neglecting my Dining Report. I have 8 reporters (one more coming in today) sending in updates for the live thread right now, so all my DIS time has been spent there. So to those of you who are still reading along, thank you for sticking with me and for your patience. I'm almost done with my next two-part installment, so please stay tuned.
The clock is ticking, Barb. If you don't update soon, I will find another review to read
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:23 PM   #171
jabead
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilma-bride View Post
The clock is ticking, Barb. If you don't update soon, I will find another review to read

Well, I can't have that! So I'm dedicating this installment to Joh.

My original plan for this day was to return to Magic Kingdom after our breakfast at Kona. However, since we were able to see/do everything on our combined list in one morning the previous day, we decided on a new plan of attack. Sadly I had to cancel our lunch ADR at The Plaza though (hadn't been there since 2006 and really wanted to try it again) since Plan B involved going to Epcot to check out the Flower & Garden Festival booths. So after our breakfast, my DH drove the car back to Wilderness Lodge while the rest of us walked to the Transportation & Ticket Center to catch the monorail to Epcot. Once there, we headed to World Showcase but couldn't walk by Club Cool without stopping in. I told my kids about all the pics I've seen of Club Cool newbies getting "Beverly'd". So my DD offered to stage a "Beverly'd" pic for me to post on the live thread. Now I figured that she would just pretend to take a sip of that nasty drink but she took her role-playing quite seriously and took a big gulp.

So the following picture, though missing the element of surprise, is otherwise authentic.

Moving on to World Showcase and the...

We began our eating on the left side (Mexico side) at this booth...

We chose the...

Shrimp and Stone Ground Grits with Andouille Sausage, Zellwood Corn, Tomatoes and Cilantro
Our Rating - 5/5

DD and I loved this, it had just the right amount of heat for us. Delicious! DS tends to shy away from foods that combine several ingredients like this, so he had only one tiny bite...not enough to give an opinion.

He did however eat most of the other item that we got at this booth. While DD and I were concentrating on the Shrimp & Grits, he devoured this...

Angel Food Cake with macerated Florida Berries
His Rating - 4/5

Now it was in Mexico that we got sidetracked from our plan to visit all the F & G booths. A few years ago (when they got bored with the Kidcot Stations) my kids came up with a new game to play when visiting the countries of World Showcase. This game involved having their picture taken in each country, usually with props involved. So after taking this (mostly) normal picture in front of the Mexican pyramid, they remembered this game that had entertained them during many a trip to World Showcase.

Although we intended to return to Mexico later in the week and take a sombrero picture inside the pyramid, we somehow never got around to doing it. So in it's place I am sharing with you a picture of them from 2006, which may have been the beginning of this tradition.

Since they were now more interested in taking funny pictures than eating, we passed on both the Mexico and China booths.

But we did of course visit the troll in Norway...

And did some "shopping" in China...

Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread #1 - and - Our Live Updates from Disney World Thread - Take 2

List of DISers with Upcoming Trips - and - Aug./Sept. Game - and - June/July Game

MAY 2012 REVIEW - DD's Graduation Celebration -and- NOV. 2011 REVIEW - Let them eat steak!

MAY 2011 REVIEW - My 50th Birthday -and- NOV. 2010 REVIEW - Our 25th Anniversary

DISNEY TRIPS: Aug. 2000 - BWV, CR, DTD Hilton (First Family Trip), Dec. 2000 -WLV,Dolphin, July 2001 - BC, AKL - CL, BWV, Poly, May 2002 - BWI, GF, AKL-CL, June 2002 - DLR's Grand Californian, March 2003 - Poly, BCV, March 2004 - POR, Dolphin, March 2006 - WL, Dolphin, Nov. 2006 - Poly, Nov. 2007 - YC, Poly, March 2008 - CR, YC, March 2010, Nov. 2010, May 2011 - BWI, Poly, Nov. 2011 - BWI, May 2012 - BWV, March 2013 - WL, Swan

Last edited by jabead; 05-08-2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM   #172
jabead
DIS Veteran

Finally, when we got to Germany my DS decided that he was again hungry. Now I was leaning toward getting the Potato Pancakes but I let DS decide what we would try at the...

and he surprised me by choosing the...

German Meatloaf Sandwich with Sweet Mustard and Fried Shallots
His Rating - 4/5, DD & My Rating - 3/5

To me this tasted like a bologna sandwich. Others have said it tastes like SPAM. I've never tasted SPAM but if it tastes like bologna then I am in complete agreement. Whether meatloaf, bologna, or SPAM, DS enjoyed it so I guess it's all good.

And of course, he needed something to wash it down...

But don't worry folks, he's only 17 so the stein was quite empty.

Oh and no visit to Germany is complete without a visit to...

for my favorite caramel treat...

Caramel Rolls with Marshmallow Cream

And no, I didn't buy all of these

...but I did get three

...and a Caramel Apple.

...Oh, and maybe a bag of caramel corn too.

That's it for Part I. Hopefully I'll have Part II up tonight???

Last edited by jabead; 05-08-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:33 PM   #173
SRiley1985
Mouseketeer

I'll have to remember that German meatloaf = bologna.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:43 PM   #174
wilma-bride
Would love a diet on Cadbury Flakes
Admits she's strange when it comes to eggs

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Well, I can't have that! So I'm dedicating this installment to Joh.
I feel honoured

Quote:
So the following picture, though missing the element of surprise, is otherwise authentic.

I really must get round to posting the video of my DD trying the Beverley, it is hilarious - your DD's reaction looks perfectly authentic to me.

Quote:
Although we intended to return to Mexico later in the week and take a sombrero picture inside the pyramid, we somehow never got around to doing it. So in it's place I am sharing with you a picture of them from 2006, which may have been the beginning of this tradition.

Too cute (although I'm not sure they'll thank you for it).

Quote:

German Meatloaf Sandwich with Sweet Mustard and Fried Shallots
His Rating - 4/5, DD & My Rating - 3/5

To me this tasted like a bologna sandwich. Others have said it tastes like SPAM. I've never tasted SPAM but if it tastes like bologna then I am in complete agreement. Whether meatloaf, bologna, or SPAM, DS enjoyed it so I guess it's all good.
Spam! Spam! Spam! Spam!
Lovely spam! Wonderful spam!
Spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam spa-a-a-a-a-am spam.
Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam! Lovely spam!
Spam spam spam spam!

Great update Barb. I have to say, you showed remarkable restraint at Karamell Kuche

No pink Grey Goose slushy though, what's up with that?
wilma-bride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 03:55 PM   #175
Linda67
Has a Masters in Margaritas

Great update Barb ...; happy to see the latest section is dedicated to the lovely Joh, especially as she has burst into a Spam song

Such great photos of DD and DS - looks like you had such a fun time together
Linda67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:04 PM   #176
Smiling Cheshire Cat
DIS Veteran

Love that your kids don't think themselves too cool for the cute pictures.

Pineapple macadamia nut pancakes could be the best Disney breakfast food ever!

Rachel
AKL, ASMovies(2), ASMusic(2), ASSports, Beach Club, Boardwalk, Caribbean Beach, Contemporary, Dolphin, French Quarter, Gaylord Palms, Grand Californian, Grand Floridian, Kidani Village, Polynesian, Pop Century(2), Riverside

Up next: Wilderness Lodge

Smiling Cheshire Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #177
vettegirl
Proud USAF Wife!

Just caught up reading your review, great reporting!

vettegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:19 AM   #178
emmysmommy
DIS Veteran

Barb you've NEVER had Spam? That's probably for the best since I can't say that I have fond memories of it from childhood when it was served to us with a fruit platter. My mom must have been punishing us as kids when she served that!

Anyhoo.... you DD played the Beverly'd role perfectly! Great job on taking one for the Disboards! We did that to Michael last summer and he couldn't get over that I had actually planned that from before we even went on our trip! I think he's still bitter!!

Love the photos of the kids clowning with the props around the world! Looks like that is a tradition going back to the "early years"
emmysmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #179
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

That German meatloaf looks so good. I even showed it to my husband before reading your review. We were oohing and aahhing until we read... SPAM. Oh dear.

anyway, now DH wants to go to WDW during one of the festivals so I thank you so much for that! Looking forward to part 2!
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 1/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing

Currently reading: Secrets of the Tudor Court by Darcey Bonnette
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 12:47 PM   #180
GoofySon'sMom
DIS Veteran

Ok, I have to tell you all my SPAM story. There is even a small Disney connection. I think of this story and actually giggle any time someone mentions SPAM. Growing up, my Mom loved the stuff. My sister and I could not even stand the smell of it let alone the taste.

Fast forward to DH and I driving home from Disney in 1990 (we weren't married yet and I think this is the trip that we decided to honeymoon at the Grand Floridian). Driving up thru the Carolinas the radio station was constantly promoting a SPAM festival featuring all kinds of "SPAM treats" in an auto parts store parking lot. Well, this cracked me up. I made fun of it and laughed the whole ride. When we finally stopped for the night at some fleabag cheap hotel, we fell into separate beds exhausted and just wanting to sleep. All of a sudden in the dark I hear DH say, "Vicki I really need to tell you something". I remember saying that it could wait til morning. DH said "no, I need to talk to you now". I turned on the light for him to sit up and say: "I like SPAM". I laughed so hard I actually fell off the bed.

Ok, maybe not as funny to all of you that weren't there and hadn't spent hours upon hours driving in the car, but it is a moment I will always remember. Still to this day do not know why he felt it was so important that he had to tell me that. And in all of our now 24 years together he has never eaten SPAM!

Ok, back to your regulary scheduled food porn ...
- Mom and Son Going Back -Another 10 days of Deluxe Dining 8/25 - 9/5/2011
Mom and Son Eat the World -11 days of Deluxe Dining ~Mom and Son Eat the World Part 2-With Dad this Time

Offsite 1987, 1988, 1990; Grand Floridian - 1991 (Honeymoon); Port Orleans French Quarter - 1993, 1994; Animal Kingdom Lodge - July 2004 (DS's First Trip); Wilderness Lodge - July 2005; Yacht Club - August 2006; Mom & Son Weekend @ Contemporary Resort - April 2007; Port Orleans Riverside - August 2007; Mom & Son Trip to POP - August 2008; Family trip to POP - December 2009; Disneyland's Paradise Pier Hotel - July 2010; Pop Century - August 2011; AKL/CSR/ASMo - August 2012; Mom & Son Food & Wine Trip to ASMu - November 2012; Mom & Son Trip to Art of Animation - March 2013; Mom & Son Trip to Caribbean Beach - August 2013; Disney Dining Diva Trip at Pop - December 2013
GoofySon'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: