Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2013, 08:43 AM   #316
PIGLETSMOMMA
Mouseketeer

The pictures tear my heart out. If only...

PIGLETSMOMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:34 AM   #317
gwynne
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4wdw View Post
Updated article posted on the Orlando Sentinel today:

Disney Fantasy: Near-drowning of Chase Lykken 'tragic accident,' police say

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7983671.story
This is so very sad.

TY Kook!
gwynne is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 05-08-2013, 11:31 AM   #318
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Poor Chase. This story is very sad.

I do want to make a comment, though. From the looks of those photos, the pools are not THAT crowded. Honestly, they were at least that crowded (and really, more so) on the cruise we went on last year. I was expecting people to be shoulder to shoulder in there, and it wasn't like that at all. I'm very surprised that Chase was under water for an estimated 6 minutes before anyone noticed.

This story is a tragic reminder that you cannot let little ones out of your sight/reach in this kind of situation. Sad, but true. Not trying to judge, but when your child is 4, you get IN the water with them, even in the Mickey Pool. Watching from the sidelines when there are that many people is a bad idea.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:36 AM   #319
PIGLETSMOMMA
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
Poor Chase. This story is very sad.

I do want to make a comment, though. From the looks of those photos, the pools are not THAT crowded. Honestly, they were at least that crowded (and really, more so) on the cruise we went on last year. I was expecting people to be shoulder to shoulder in there, and it wasn't like that at all. I'm very surprised that Chase was under water for an estimated 6 minutes before anyone noticed.

This story is a tragic reminder that you cannot let little ones out of your sight/reach in this kind of situation. Sad, but true. Not trying to judge, but when your child is 4, you get IN the water with them, even in the Mickey Pool. Watching from the sidelines when there are that many people is a bad idea.
I may be remembering it wrong, but i don't think so. I read a first hand account, that when he slipped away from them and they realized he was gone, they were frantically searching for him. They were never just watching on the sideline.

PIGLETSMOMMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #320
Moxin
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIGLETSMOMMA View Post
I may be remembering it wrong, but i don't think so. I read a first hand account, that when he slipped away from them and they realized he was gone, they were frantically searching for him. They were never just watching on the sideline.
I've cruised twice with my DD4...I don't understand how he was able to "slip away" like that, and end up at the pool? The only time my daughter wasn't with me was when she was at the kids club.

Don't get me wrong, it's tragic and horrible and I can't imagine the heartache they are going through; but at the same time, I hope a little good comes of this in that parents pay far more attention to their kids, especially in a place where water is easily accessible to everyone.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:35 PM   #321
MattMatts-Momma
311 Miles from the Wilderness Lodge!!

I can see how he was able slip away, little kids are fast....my DS(10) was like that when he was smaller. You could turn away for a second and he would be gone, lost in the crowd. It's terrifying when you can't find them. All kids are different, some wander, some don't. But being the parent of one wanderer and a child that did slip into a pool when we were right there, I can totally see how this could happen. I am sure that is what happened here, he slipped away, somehow got lost in the crowd and somehow ended up in the pool.

Drowning is quiet, not like what you see in the movies. My oldest son (27) when he was small probably like 3 or 4, managed to slip into my godmothers pool and we were right there. He was playing on the steps and the third step was above his head and right under he went. Quiet, no splash, no scream - nothing. Thank goodness we were right there.

Anyway, we continue to pray for Chase and his family.

Last edited by MattMatts-Momma; 05-08-2013 at 01:43 PM.
MattMatts-Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #322
DisneyOrBustColorado
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Drowning is quiet, not like what you see in the movies. My oldest son (27) when he was small probably like 3 or 4, managed to slip into my godmothers pool and we were right there. He was playing on the steps and the third step was above his head and right under he went. Quiet, no splash, no scream - nothing. Thank goodness we were right there.
I have to second the above statement. Our son, now 6, almost drown when we was 4. We were at a hotel & our boys were playing in the hot tub in their little float tubes. The adults were sitting & talking. All at once my husband & I saw, out of the corner of our eye, our son slip through his float tube & sink to the bottom of the hot tub. I'm sure that the shock on my face was only a fraction of a second before we jumped & ran into the hot tub, in our cloths, & grabbed our coughing 4 year old out of the hot tub. It was so silent when he went to the bottom of the hot tub. Almost as if he had done it on purpose, but we knew that he couldn't swim. If we were a little more distracted or facing the other direction who knows what could have happened.

I think that it is not good to point the finger at who's fault it is at this time. This is such a sad, sad situation & we know that these parents love their son very much. All we can do now is pray. Accidents happen & that's why they are called accidents. I'm sure that the parents place enough blame on themselves & all they need at this time are prayers from all of us for their family.
Old 05-08-2013, 03:35 PM   #323
socaintexas
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyOrBustColorado View Post
I have to second the above statement. Our son, now 6, almost drown when we was 4. We were at a hotel & our boys were playing in the hot tub in their little float tubes. The adults were sitting & talking. All at once my husband & I saw, out of the corner of our eye, our son slip through his float tube & sink to the bottom of the hot tub. I'm sure that the shock on my face was only a fraction of a second before we jumped & ran into the hot tub, in our cloths, & grabbed our coughing 4 year old out of the hot tub. It was so silent when he went to the bottom of the hot tub. Almost as if he had done it on purpose, but we knew that he couldn't swim. If we were a little more distracted or facing the other direction who knows what could have happened.

I think that it is not good to point the finger at who's fault it is at this time. This is such a sad, sad situation & we know that these parents love their son very much. All we can do now is pray. Accidents happen & that's why they are called accidents. I'm sure that the parents place enough blame on themselves & all they need at this time are prayers from all of us for their family.
I agree with this. We have a pool and last year we were sitting on the steps with our three year old twins. One got out and we turned around to help her get situated and turned back around to see that the other one had stepped off of the last step and just sank under water looking up to the sky. No splashing, no arm movements to try to stay up, no kicking, nothing. It was only a second or two but I am still haunted by that look. It only takes a second. In addition, I have had moments where I had the twins with me trying to get things done and one slips away in a split second. That heart dropping feeling comes and panic sets in. Luckily they are usually just behind a clothes rack, etc. but it can happen so quickly. There but for the grace of God go I. Thank you God for blessing me.
socaintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #324
abbiep
Mouseketeer

NO matter how vigilant you are it only takes a second for a little one to slip away. We lost our daughter at a park in Houston many years ago. I held on to her hand the whole time and then let it go long enough to pay for something at a register. In that short time, someone got between us, she couldnt see me and wandered out the store. She was missing for a terrifying 15 mins. Fortunately we had drilled in her head from the time we walked into the park that if we got separated exactly who she was to go to and they would bring her back to us. Thats what she did, she went to a worker and told them she was lost. It happens, hopefully the ones that have never had this happen to them and are sitting in judgment of others, will never have it happen to them.
abbiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:31 PM   #325
JimmyJackJunior
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxin View Post
I've cruised twice with my DD4...I don't understand how he was able to "slip away" like that, and end up at the pool? The only time my daughter wasn't with me was when she was at the kids club.

Don't get me wrong, it's tragic and horrible and I can't imagine the heartache they are going through; but at the same time, I hope a little good comes of this in that parents pay far more attention to their kids, especially in a place where water is easily accessible to everyone.
When we went on our first cruise we went to the buffet. Our two year old daughter was able to run under the tables and we quickly lost track of her. She managed to exit the back of the buffet and could of well ended up in a pool if not for the quick actions of staff in the buffet. So yes, in an unfamiliar environment, with tons of people and tons of distractions your child can quickly get away from you. Ours was a good kid who normally did not do that sort of thing but got overstimulated.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #326
jilljill
Collects Disney men!
I had to go and write a novel didn't I?!
Come on over and join our thread

Location: 13-14½ hours drive from WDW - depending on who is driving (lol) OR 5 minutes!

This thread is for sharing positive thoughts and prayers for the little boy only. All other discussions regarding how/why it happened can take place on the threads that have been moved over to the Community Board.

Thanks for your cooperation.
Old 05-08-2013, 06:53 PM   #327
DLgal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill
This thread is for sharing positive thoughts and prayers for the little boy only. All other discussions regarding how/why it happened can take place on the threads that have been moved over to the Community Board.

Maybe you should have told that to the person who shared the link to the article with the photos. Posting something like that opens up a new dialogue.
DLgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 07:14 PM   #328
Forever a Princess
One bottle of ketchup is not enough!

Another Prayer Warrior checking back in.

We continue to pray for both Chase and his Family.

Our love and support continues to go out to them.
Old 05-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #329
SigalTchelet
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jilljill View Post

Thanks for reminding folks, Jill! That definitely was my intention. You have a great name, btw! (Mine, too! )

Siggy aka Jill
Siggy's Fantastic Fantasy PTR http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3081866
WDW Caribbean Beach Resort 1994
Disneyland: Many times in my childhood, October 1976, March 1977, June 16, 1977 (Grad Night), severasl times in the 80's, August 1991, October 3, 2009 (50th Birthday), May 2010, October 2010, February 2011, May 2011, October 2011

SigalTchelet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:53 AM   #330
PizzieDuster
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLgal View Post
Maybe you should have told that to the person who shared the link to the article with the photos. Posting something like that opens up a new dialogue.
Oh please, let's not get this thread shut down.

The update tonight was very 'real' and more descriptive then any update before.

When reading it, you can almost feel Chase' fight. He's in there. He's putting up a fight. Little sweet boy. He got a hair cut.
Royal Carribean - Explorer of the Seas 4/16/06
Royal Carribean - Freedom of the Seas 4/8/07
Returning to the Magic - 6/29/08 - West Coast
Liberty of the Seas - 4/09
Disney Wonder Mother/DD12 Cruise to Nowhere 1/21/11
Disney Wonder Mexican Riviera 1/29/12 Mother/DD13 Cruise (taking Grandma and Nephew DN5 along)
Disney Wonder - 1/24/14 5 Night Wonder {gift}
Disney Fantasy - 3/29/14 Western
PizzieDuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: